Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome




It's shameful, I know, but I just can't keep my mind off of yesterday. I was having a fencing spar with Arasta Shayne, one of the common-born pages from the northern mountains. She's a very talented swordfighter; I'm rather less so, but with this body, I was able to quite nearly keep pace with her. It was satisfying. But then... on my way out, in passing, I heard her speaking to her older brother, one of the squires in charge of sparring-room maintenance. "She reminds me of that nest near the village," she said. "Do you remember it? All those harpies together -- gods and spirits, the stench of them! Does she think we won't notice if she's just dainty enough? Because it doesn't work, and it cripples her form."

... I'd never noticed an, er, odor before. I don't know if there is one, or if she was just trying to be overheard, but... who can I possibly ask? I spent an hour in my quarters washing, then another hour inspecting my clothes. I still don't know. I still can't tell who else thinks that way.

This... well, the talk of the mission to the ancient ruins is quite nearly a relief, because I can think about something other than myself and how insufferably self-pitying I am. Marcus, the dear... soul... that he is, is suffering and needs our help -- the sort of suffering that can really cause death, instead of just making one wish for it. The names that the Oracle and Marcus's... father?... mention aren't familiar to me, but "containment area" is clearly troublesome. We'll have to be careful and thorough... but the others have said as much. Perhaps right now I don't have to talk.

"... oh," I say, as Ghorza approaches -- no, it seems I will. "Oh, no, I'm sorry. There's a great deal on my mind. I really ought to focus better." I offer a conciliatory smile. Ghorza seems pleasant enough, but what am I supposed to ask her to help me with? To tell me if I stink, because the others are too polite, too apologetic, or too metallic to do so themselves? That's... forward.

quote:

The Transformed
Hero Name: Lady Fury
Real Name: Caecilia Lindenhall

Look: Woman, White, Piercing Eyes, Scaled Feathered Flesh, Strange Costume
Abilities:

Superhuman Senses: Lady Fury's cursed harpy form grants her the keen sight of a raptor, as well as sharpened hearing using her animalistic ears and a keen sense for magnetic direction and wind currents. These are deep, instinctual senses, capable of confusing or frightening Lady Fury herself.
Inhuman Might: While Lady Fury's birdlike frame may seem delicate, it holds an immense and terrible strength, aided by sharp talons and a ferocious anger in the heat of battle, and more durability than one might expect.

Labels
Freak +3
Danger +2
Savior 0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves

Coming For You
When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Not Human Enough
When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Wish I Could Be
When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think youíre losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

Relationships
Marcus comforted you when you were at your lowest.
Lord Vane Drake knew you before you changed.

Influence
You try not to care what other people think, even if you canít shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate: Marcus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2| Savior: 0 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None
Location: Sharville Containment Zone

I froze. Gods help me, I froze. I moved to the right flank as commanded, and then... something about this place just overwhelmed me. Perhaps it was the "robots" we were fighting, things so similar to Marcus -- the only things I had ever seen anything like Marcus! -- that it was unnerving, somehow wrong. Perhaps it was the rotting metal husks of buildings around us, so strange, and yet... our past? It was all too much. I froze.

Vane's noticed; of course he has. It's his job to notice, isn't it? But I can't hide my shame, not now. "Nothing that matters," I say. "I can't... I couldn't focus, for a moment. But I'll be better next time." Something in the air tells me there'll be a next time, before we leave this place. I try to sound resolute, to sound focused, but I'm not sure it's working. I suspect he's going to recognize just how weak I am, underneath this all.

Lady Fury is trying to put on a brave face, but it's probably obvious enough that she's really looking for some sympathy overall. For now, though, she probably just wants to slide through without being called on her mistakes.

... as do I, frankly -- this was an OOC issue (RL commitments for several days) and I'd rather it not be dragged out ICly, if that's okay.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None
Location: Sharville Containment Zone

"Of course, Lord Drake. I understand. If anything comes to mind, I'll tell you, but... you understand, it's difficult. This situation..." I trail off as Lady Nirian approaches, almost grateful to not have to explain any further. As he steps away, Lady Nirian speaks a few words to me, and I nod. Of course, she's right, isn't she? It's all about doing what I need to do.

Accepting Influence -- labels shifted in the header block above, Mundane to -2 and Savior to +1.

The strange platform begins to travel, and I force myself to focus on what's ahead of us and on my teammates. Red Errant has made some sort of display, then gone to speak to Sentinel... so I gesture to her, off-hand, that I would wish her audience when she has a moment. She at least deserves thanks for her kind remark. The jasmine soap is expensive, but it's comforting to know it works. Even if that machine god (?) is calling me a 'harpy' -- I think of correcting it, but no, we're moving again and it isn't proper --

... And now we have a vision of what's necessary, and I nod as we open on the chamber and begin to collect what we came for. "What a dreadful fate! But if they must be subdued, they must be subdued. Of course we shall be happy to help, Sebastian."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None
Location: Sharville Containment Zone

"I'm well enough," I say to Red Errant as I gather. "... I wanted to thank you for earlier. It was very kind of you to --"

And then there's an explosion, interrupting my thoughts, and reflexively I rush for the platform even with my half-full satchel of parts. Presumably we can get the rest once we've routed these undead... things? And it even sounds like Gateway has a plan. "Do you think you can handle them all, Gateway? Should we... direct them for you?" I could likely rend them into pieces, as could many of us, but if that's not going to work...

And Matakite makes it sound like we have other problems. I remember my last run-in with one of our prophecies, and so I listen carefully. "... it sounds like Sebastian's going to lose control? Sebastian, is there anything you can do to prevent what Matakite's said?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, Skeleton Bashin'

If you can't be strong for yourself, be strong for them.

They're words that are echoing in my ears, now that we've engaged again with the enemy, this time in the form of the dead -- and some more recently dead than others. It's not a pleasant thought, to think about these things... but there's another urgent concern, holding the barricade. Gateway has a plan for dealing with these creatures, but we need to make sure we aren't swarmed, first.

I race towards the barrier, trying to keep my head up and stay strong, stay brave -- and above all else, not think much about where I am, and what our foes once were. "We've got to hold the barricade and give Gateway time to work!" As I reach the barricade, ready to intercept any skeletons attempting to destroy it, I realize what Marcus was telling me. (Why me? Well, that hardly matters, does it?) "Marcus, what is it? What do you see?"

Preemptively defend Defensive Perimeter: 2d6+1 11
Adding 1 Team to the pool!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, Skeleton Bashin'

On one hand, I've got to hold the line, and the others seem close to being overwhelmed. On the other... I can see Gateway beginning to work her magic on the horde, and I can also see that the skeleton mage is the major threat to the barrier -- and a threat to all of us, if it (he? She? It) isn't dealt with quickly. "... hold on!" It's the last coherent thought I can call out to my team before I force myself into real fighting mode.

My wings rustle behind me, and I drop into a hunch as I charge at the skeleton mage, shrieking as I bring my claws to bear. I don't know if these things have the capacity to be afraid, or to recognize my rather unfortunate form, but if they don't, maybe they still have the capacity to recognize loud noises. Let whatever instincts they have respond to me! Or, at bare minimum, let me rend this wizard's remaining power from his bones before it can do any more harm.

Directly Engage the skelewizard: 2d6+2 9
Choosing to impress/surprise/frighten the opposition, for whatever that may be worth.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, in a Burning Ring of Fire

I reflexively pull my wings in tight against my body, trying to stay as still and compact as I can as the flames roll in. If I just keep myself safe, this should pass, shouldn't it? I can wait it out --

No, I realize, I can't wait it out, not while there's a battle raging all around me! It's counterintuitive, and maybe dangerous, but the solution isn't in keeping myself away from the fire; it's forcing myself into action, to escape it even at the risk of burns. There's a clear opening above me, and if I leap for it, I think I can probably clear the top of the flames and get back into safety. (Well, not safety, really, but a part of the fight where I can be effective. Naturally.)

I give myself three moments to think it through, and then I act. I crouch low, keeping my body narrow and vertically-aligned, gathering strength in my legs -- and then I leap for it, giving it everything I have for a single burst of clean motion that can evade the flames. I can barely even keep my eyes open, but it's only a single, terrifying half-second before I realize I've done it, that I've launched myself above the fire vortex. I let my wings unfurl, softening and guiding my descent, back into the fray. It may take me another moment to get my bearings, but as long as I'm free...

Using Inhuman Might and semi-functional wings here:
Unleash Powers to evade the flames: 2d6+3 15

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry (-2 Comfort/Support/Pierce), Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, in a Pit

Hesitation takes hold of me again as I think things Ghorza's gotten Vane over, while I've been thinking, and I imagine I can grab her and get her over --

And then there's a blast of something, some terrible power, from Gateway, and Marcus is thrown back and collides with me, and we tumble together down --

Take a Powerful Blow: 2d6 11
AWESOME
Going to choose to mark two conditions (Angry and Insecure, as above) and give ground, via... tumbling into a pit and all.


Marcus is unthinkably heavy, and in shock and pain, I only barely manage to gather my wits and my wings about me. If I can control this fall properly, there's an outcropping that I think can support us. It's clear enough, and a ready descent...
No idea if I need a roll here, but if I do: Unleash Powers to land without further danger: 2d6+3 12

Thankfully, my wings don't fail me as my will has -- what's wrong with me? Why aren't I doing better? I've got to stay focused on this, because I've got to keep my end of things up, or this all ends... now that we've landed and the pain is starting to abate, my mind is racing with shame. Shame and a growing anger, I realize -- something did that. Something we've got to stop. Something I'm going to stop, if only to redeem myself.

"Marcus," I say. "Are you well? We have to get back there." I breathe deeply, trying to calm down, and try to focus on our situation. How can we get out of there and back to where we're needed?

Assess the situation in the pit: 2d6-1 6
... yep. At least marking Potential for these shenanigans.

EDIT: Scrree mentioned in Discord that Marcus will Team this to a 7, so here's my question: What here can I use to get us out of the pit?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at May 8, 2017 around 10:27

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, in a Pit

Potential has already been marked! I'm just ludicrously low.

I pause for a moment, touched by Marcus's words. Does he really think I'm...? I'm not sure he's right, but there's still something calming about his faith in me. "Marcus," I say at last, "It's kind of you to say so, but... nobody can live without each other's help. I... I need the team as much as any of you need me. It's part of being human, to need other people, and... well, we're all human, after a fashion." There may be a question there, a question I'm not entirely intending. "... I know it may not seem that way, but it's about more than the body..."

Using the support to clear Angry, and let's go, ill-timed Team Move time!

quote:

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think youíre losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

... and then the train of thought is broken entirely by the arrival of... Red Errant, out of armor. What was her name? Lilly? "Oh, no. Hold on -- I think I see a way out, and if we can get you up the ledge... are you...?" I step forward, to try and catch her if she's stumbling. Not long after, though, there's a sound of rumbling, and her sword returns to her hand. ".. good. Good. If we can reach that ledge," I say, pointing to the chunk of wall I've noticed, "I think we can get out of here. Are both of you able?"

... If there's nothing to impede us, anyway. And why am I not certain that's the case?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, in a Pit

At the sight of the emerging golem, I don't even think -- I don't have the luxury of thinking, now. I have to act decisively, to serve my part in the team, and one thing I can do is fight. I leap forward, launching myself at the golem and recklessly trying to bring talons and strength to bear against the thing! It seems near destruction, so perhaps this'll be enough...

Directly Engage the golem: 2d6+2 9
Choosing to resist blows! Also, let me know if this is sufficiently foolhardy to clear Insecure.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at May 10, 2017 around 23:14

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone

"Thank you, but I'm well enough," I say, before looking to Red Errant. If anyone needs support, it's likely her. I've... well, whatever I'm feeling right now, I'm surely in fighting form. I nonetheless take Sentinel's offered hand, with sincere appreciation.

"... What happened up here? It looks like something ghastly. We had a bit of trouble, but nothing on the level that it seems you may have?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone

I release Sentinel's hand as he pulls Red Errant close, and while I know she needs it -- the warmth, the comfort -- more than I do, there's still something faintly painful in the gesture. My situation has closed that door to me, I know, as much as I might like to pretend that being among the Knights might change that. This just isn't a body anyone holds close, anyone protects, anyone loves.

But this isn't the time for that, is it? There'll be time enough for melancholy back in my quarters. Lady Nirian is here and requesting my help, and I hurry to Gateway's side to offer support, throwing an arm about the girl's waist and... trying to keep it there, offer support and not go closer than that. I can't inflict myself on others. But...

Enough of this. I need to focus. "Right," I say. "As Matakite predicted... and there's no way to get around a fight here? No chance of reasoning with Sebastian? Surely if he's really just misunderstood all this time, something might be done?" But Matakite was never wrong. There would be a fight, and I had better be ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone

Before I even know what I'm doing, I speak -- I can't let this situation descend into the combat Matakite saw, can I? "We'll escort them," I say. "Until they find their true deaths. We won't let them near innocents, and if they decide to attack us... well, we've beaten them before, we can do it again. If we need to be tested for charm magic, we can manage that, but we won't allow any skeleton malfeasance!"

  • Locked thread