Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It should also include the Reds

Be careful what you wish for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It should also include the Reds

Character limits

Opening day was fun yesterday. Sano murdered a baseball and Buxton made two awesome catches.

Also we won because the Royals bullpen forgot how to throw strikes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: Seth Lugo has a "slight UCL tear", according to SNY.

V: Mets gonna Mets :rip:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They're Mets-ing a lot faster than usual this year, though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Just getting a head start! :smithicide:

I hope people don't blame the WBC for this.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
This sucks, but he doesn't need TJ (yet...) and he's the 6th starter on paper so it could be a lot worse.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Seth Lugo is not the cornerstone of the Mets rotation or anything

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm still sad 1) that he's injured, and 2) that injuries continue to bedevil the Mets.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: Dodgers mashed 4 dingers and crushed the Padres. Every starter in the lineup got at least one hit.

V:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm still sad 1) that he's injured, and 2) that injuries continue to bedevil the Mets.

I think it's obvious at this point that there's something systemically wrong in the Mets' coaching system. No other team has arms falling off at that rate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, I know we joke a lot about the Mets and their pitching staff but honestly the Mets didn't cause the bone spurs in Matz & Thor's arms, and there are guys who've had much harder workloads than Lugo who haven't had UCL tears. IMO the only one you can really lay at the Mets' feet is bullying Harvey into going past his doctor's proscribed IP limit back in 2015, which may or may not have been the cause of his abysmal 2016 campaign and resulting injuries (it certainly didn't help).

Really it's just a good example of how building a team around pitching is really, really risky. Most pitching staffs are never going to stay completely healthy all season, so "we have five aces" is not the best longterm solution to the Mets weak position player strength outside of Cespedes.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

Eh, I know we joke a lot about the Mets and their pitching staff but honestly the Mets didn't cause the bone spurs in Matz & Thor's arms, and there are guys who've had much harder workloads than Lugo who haven't had UCL tears. IMO the only one you can really lay at the Mets' feet is bullying Harvey into going past his doctor's proscribed IP limit back in 2015, which may or may not have been the cause of his abysmal 2016 campaign and resulting injuries (it certainly didn't help).

Really it's just a good example of how building a team around pitching is really, really risky. Most pitching staffs are never going to stay completely healthy all season, so "we have five aces" is not the best longterm solution to the Mets weak position player strength outside of Cespedes.

We don't really have any idea what sort of work they do between starts or what that might be doing and it most definitely matters.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If it makes you guys feel any better the Mets head trainer kept the tradition alive of being the mos lustily boo'd Mets staff member for like the 8th year in a row yesterday.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Sydin posted:

I'm not blaming anyone for anything, I'm just sad. :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the Padres may as well take the year off. I get it's a rebuild but that is a gross lineup top to bottom. The only thing redeeming it is that they have a player that will play the field and pitch at the same time (but he is not good at either of these things).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Former Dodger Pedro Guererro is fighting for his life after a stroke. :(

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19076429/former-los-angeles-dodgers-star-pedro-guerrero-fighting-life-stroke

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

I think the Padres may as well take the year off. I get it's a rebuild but that is a gross lineup top to bottom. The only thing redeeming it is that they have a player that will play the field and pitch at the same time (but he is not good at either of these things).

On the other hand I get to watch Clayton Richard: Number Two StarterTM so it can't all be bad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

We don't really have any idea what sort of work they do between starts or what that might be doing and it most definitely matters.

I'm not absolving the Mets of all guilt, just also saying it's probably equally bound up in the inherent risk of pitcher health. All the more so when everybody on your staff is an "ace" who's expected to go 6-7 IP on a frequent basis.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Dammit the MLBTV T-Mobile app keeps timing out while I'm trying to register for their free sub promotion.

If I can't get this to work I'm gonna have an ANGRY TWEET in store for those T-Mobile jerks, let me tell you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure what it was, but I couldn't get MLB.tv working on my PS4 yesterday after re-upping my unblock-us sub. The app wouldn't load after setting it up :(

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Wil Myers owns and Margot, Renfroe and Hedges are highly-regarded prospects. Padres will probably lose 100 games but they'll score some runs along the way.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Does T-Mobile still not count MLB.tv streaming toward cellphone data? And would that also work for Google Fi (since it is a partner with T-mobile)?

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

It's a reddit thread, but check out 10 gifs from opening day

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/63fns6/thank_the_heavens_baseball_is_back_lets_celebrate/

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The Rickey field dedication ceremony was cool as gently caress.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

The Pussy Boss posted:

Wil Myers owns and Margot, Renfroe and Hedges are highly-regarded prospects. Padres will probably lose 100 games but they'll score some runs along the way.

Yeah I don't know why everyone is so down on them. They're going to be terrible, but fun terrible, terrible where they have to score at least 9 runs to win a baseball game terrible. It's not like 2011-2015 when they would go entire weeks without scoring and every game was an hour and a half and they'd lose 2-0.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Does T-Mobile still not count MLB.tv streaming toward cellphone data? And would that also work for Google Fi (since it is a partner with T-mobile)?

It does not appear to work with Project Fi. I tried signing up with my phone number just to see if it would work, but it failed validating the number.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

I hope people don't blame the WBC for this.

:lol: too late

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

gently caress, and now Drew Smyly is also ded, so people blaming the WBC are probably building a case. :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

YeahTubaMike posted:

gently caress, and now Drew Smyly is also ded, so people blaming the WBC are probably building a case. :smith:

If throwing 4.2 innings and less than 100 pitches is what breaks your arm, your arm was bound to be broken anyway.

Still, not having Smyly for awhilein what was already a shaky rotation is :smithicide: for me.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I know it gets bitched about every year, but MLB.TV being so spotty and laggy is awful. The opening day stream was so bad I gave up and went to an illegal one. Has anyone gotten it to be reliable and has some tips?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not really, no. If you're using the desktop client you can uncheck standard video in the option menu which will sometimes fix the lagging at the expense of putting the game on a ~1 minute or so delay, but sometimes that still skips too and you're just hosed. I've complained a few times on their support forums, but it always ends with "well we can't help you but we will forward the issue on to the application engineers so they can fix it in the future!" followed by no follow up. :sigh:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A hypothesis:

Major League Baseball Advanced Media has three major April events across platforms it provides (Wrestlemania, NHL Playoffs, MLB Opening Day/Season), and has the mother (of dragons) of all events coming up in July with HBONow. I know in the past they've also partnered with CBS on March Madness coverage. Not like MLB teams will switch to a different streaming provider so I'd guess that external/higher-profile clients are prioritized.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Uh oh

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

oh no....

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

but madbum pitched sunday

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Character limits

Opening day was fun yesterday. Sano murdered a baseball and Buxton made two awesome catches.

Also we won because the Royals bullpen forgot how to throw strikes.

That baseball had a family!!

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

which one of y'all.......

https://twitter.com/NBCNewYork/status/849012774185431041

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I drove in.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/TheBlogfines/status/849431115718959104

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Molina could have framed that a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/849431625071022081

Yep, that's the good stuff.

• Locked thread