Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

Q: What is Space Station 13?

A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA
Or:

Space Station 13 is a top down 2D multiplayer spaceman game, running on BYOND. It features an overwhelming amount of depth and complexity beneath simplistic cartoon graphics. It is a melting pot of ideas and genres, has tons of replayability, and generates fantastic and often hilarious stories.

The game centres around a research station, owned by a giant corporation known as NanoTrasen somewhere off in deep space. The game functions in rounds, and at the beginning of each round every player picks a job as a crew member on the station. These vary from anything to an Engineer, Scientist or Medical Doctor, down to the lower responsibility roles such as Janitor and Assistant. The gist is to perform your role and help keep the station running in a tidy and ordered fashion, which you'll quickly find to be impossible.

When the crew aren't turning on each other through sheer paranoia, they will also face various kinds of danger depending on the round: Sleeper Agents hell bent on sabotage, Soul-Sucking Aliens, RPG toting Syndicate Operatives and more. Not to mention the occupational hazards of working in space: Meteor showers, Radiation storms, Airlock mishaps and Catastrophic engine failure. These dangers have their toll, and can usually result in the death of everyone on board; or for those that survive long enough, a death defying run for the escape shuttle.

What do smart gamer folk think of this 2D Spaceman game?

Rock Paper Shotgun posted:

A sci-fi multiplayer sandbox with the same utterly batshit more-is-more design as Dwarf Fortress.

Creator of DayZ, Dean Hall posted:

I love Space Station 13! It's awesome.

PC Gamer UK Magazine posted:

Listed #45 - THE TOP 50 FREE PC GAMES

PC Gamer posted:

Almost anything is possible, every round is different, and everyone is insane. And those are just some of the reasons I love Space Station 13

Tom, BYOND founder posted:

Wow, that's insane. It's a loving miracle that even compiles at all..

Sounds awesome. How do I play?

As previously mentioned, Space Station 13 runs on the BYOND gaming platform. BYOND (which stands for Build Your Own Net Dream, apparently) is an old, kinda ornery system designed for the creation of 2D multiplayer games. It's very easy to learn to code for BYOND, which has helped the game flourish over the years, but it lacks some common features of more modern languages, which has created some roadblocks in the fight to improve SS13's performance. Still, our coders have fought valiantly*, and Goonstation runs more smoothly than ever these days!

One guy (known as LummoxJR) runs BYOND, but over the years development and improvements have come slowly, if at all. This is just something we'll have to deal with, unless LummoxJR gets a constant stream of cash flow to maybe fix some of the bigger problems.
Our wiki contains all the info you need to get set up to play, but in case you don't want to read that, here's the process:
  1. Go to BYOND, download their client, and install it.
  2. Register an account with BYOND.
  3. Log into the BYOND client. If it pops up any updates at you, download them and restart the client.
  4. -OPTIONAL STEP- If you want to have the servers on a quick list for you to click in BYOND, go to Space Station 13's BYOND page and add it to your favorites.
* not me, I just crashed the server with parrots a few times and added a bunch of dumb junk (mostly parrots)

You're now all set up to connect to the game! Bear in mind you want to connect to the "Goon" (previously LLJK) servers if you want the Goonstation-run servers**. You can do that one of a few ways:
Goon RP #1: (Has some additional rules regarding in-character and out-of-character chat, we recommend starting with Goon #2 first!)

Goon #2- Regular server:

** please be advised that some of the non-Goonstation run servers are weird and have, uh, very questionable content***
*** some of the questionable content is vore, there are at least two vore servers. no I don't know why there's any vore servers for spaceman fartgame much less two different ones. I'm sorry, we can't control our neighbors. they just do this stuff.

I joined the game and... what the gently caress is going on? How do I do anything?!

I may have neglected to mention that this game has a kind of unforgiving learning curve. It's much better than it used to be, but compared to your average videogame there's a bit of figuring out and discovering you have to do before you can really function effectively. You may want to observe your first few games if you have the patience for it, just to get a feel for how the game generally goes down. Again, :siren:our wiki has an article to get you up to speed and you really should read it!:siren: In case you don't want to, here's some basic pointers but don't be suprised if you end up getting confused:

Animated .Gif tutorial: Picking up, Selecting and Dropping Objects

(Many of the sprites you see in this gif have been updated since this was made, but it's still relevant!)

Is there a list of controls?

Controls are both keyboard and mouse. Use the keys to move your character around, and the mouse to interact with objects and select commands off the command panel. You can also type commands in manually.

We recommend you use the new WASD hotkey mode! [added Sep 2013!]
Here's a list:
code:
[TAB] = [Toggle W,A,S,D Movement]
[T] = [Say]
[X] = [Toggle Throw]
[C] = [Use active hand]
[E] = [Switch hands]
[Q] = [Drop active hand]
[V] = [Equip active hand]
[G] = [Focus on input bar]
[B] = [Point]
[R] = [Flip]
[F] = [Fart]
Plus more I've probably forgotten! Please note that the hotkeys are different on non-goonstation servers.

Default movement and shortcut keys:

Both control schemes share the following keys:
code:
[SHIFT] = [Sprint]
[CTRL] = [Pull]
[ALT] = [Examine]
[Spacebar] = [Throw]
[SHIFT+CTRL+ALT] = [Weird fancy examine tile thing that will show up in your Status tab]
* If your main screen goes black, you've either been knocked out, blinded or are dying.

* Once you're dead, you're dead for the rest of the round unless someone revives you. There's no need to hang around if you don't want to if you're dead, you can come back for another round later on once the current one is finished.

* If you're confused about how to play, you can use mentorhelp (F3) and ask how it's done. Try to actually make an effort to figure it out for yourself first please, though!

Help! I'm totally lost, where am I?

You'll find a Map button in the upper right corner of the game window that should take you to a nice, fancy map of the current station on Goonhub! See all maps here.

Goon #1 usually runs Destiny: http://goonhub.com/maps/destiny
Goon #2 usually runs Cogmap: http://goonhub.com/maps/cogmap

So I've figured out how to move around and all that. What now?

Now you figure out what job you want to play as. The jobs aren't hard-locked or anything - anyone can do any task in the game, the jobs mainly decide who has access to what. If an assistant tries to get into Research for example, he'll find the doors won't even let him in because he's not supposed to be there! This goes for a few other things on the station too, but it's mostly the doors. Here's a basic rundown of the jobs and what they're expected to do:

Command Staff
Captain: Highest authority on the station. This is akin to painting a huge target on yourself.
Head of Personnel: Direct superior of all civilian-class jobs. Sort of an evil vizier to the captain. Often vanishes without a trace a few minutes in.
Chief Engineer: Direct superior of the engineering department. Slaps the Engineers for not starting the engine.
Research Director: Direct superior of the science division. Decides who should be researching what.
Medical Director: Direct superior of the medical department. Tries to get their staff organized to keep everyone in one piece and healthy. Usually fails.
Head of Security: Direct superior of the station's security forces. A special job you can only get via application!

Engineering Staff
Engineer: Responsible for starting the engine and keeping up maintenance. They seldom do either.
Mechanic: Tinkers who can build all sorts of fixtures like vending machines and computers.
Miner: Goes off to the asteroid belt and beats up rocks to get ore to send to the station.
Quartermaster: Sell and order supplies for the station. Try to turn a profit by negotiating with traders.

Science Staff
Scientist: Does science on explosives, chemicals, artifacts and the fabric of space-time itself.

Medical Staff
Roboticist: One of two jobs capable of bringing back the dead. Puts people's brains into cyborg units.
Geneticist: The other job capable of revival. Creates clones and superpowered mutants.
Medical Doctor: Doesn't do any science, but tries to stop people from dying. Emphasis on "tries".

Security Staff
Security Officer: Tries to keep everyone from murdering each other. Throws criminals in the brig to cool off.
Detective: Tries to find out who did the crimes. In theory. In practice he just shoots people with his gun.

Civilian Staff
Botanist: Grows plants and produce in Hydroponics. Yes, that includes weed.
Janitor: Clean up messes, slip up other crew members on your freshly clean floors.
Chef: Makes meals for the crew, usually from the crew.
Barman: A classy gent who reduces the bar's patrons to slurring, vomiting wrecks.
Chaplain: Normally of minimal use, but immune to the evil spells of wizards and vampires.
Assistant: The idea is they assist the other jobs with their duties. The reality is they're a hideous horde of grey-suited vermin.

Okay, so I got myself a job. What happens now?

You either do your job and try to help the station, or ignore it altogether and go on wacky hijinks of your choosing.
That is if you don't run afoul of whoever the station's enemy is this round. The game is played in rounds that end when either the foes of the station win, or the station is evacuated and the work shift ends. (Evacuation is usually counted as a victory for the crew.) There's always a catch to the round though - a randomly selected crewmember could be a traitor with a mission and various devious spy gear, a hideous alien creature bent on absorbing the crew's DNA and stealing their identities, a vampire out to suck the crew's blood, an evil wizard with dark magic spells, or even more weird stuff can occur like a group of terrorists trying to blow the station up with a nuclear bomb, or an outright anti-capitalist revolution gripping the crew.

Be aware that any of the crew may be trying funny stuff anyway, since that's the nature of the game - the game became popular from tales of it essentially being a grief simulator, and to some extent it still is. Bannings have been relaxed recently, though you'll still cop a punishment for being really rampantly unfunny. (Yes this is down to moderator discretion, so be sure your scheme isn't played out or trite before you carry it out.)

I'm still not convinced this is the game for me...

How about a list of various bits and pieces we've got going on?
  • Our coders add new features and squash bugs quite often.
  • Powerful admin tools allow our admins to spice up dull rounds with whatever gimmicks they may be able to think of.
  • Active admin staff keep stupid griefers and unfunny idiots off the servers. (Note that particularly clever griefers are excluded from this treatment.)
  • It's easy to build new things with the raw resources lying around the station. Want to build your own room? Sure! Fill it with vending machines? Of course, just call an electrician!
  • A Materials system that allows you to build stuff out of all sorts of substances, real and fictional. Want to make a room entirely out of gold? You can do that! Make a saxophone out of explosive Erebite? You can do that too! (But it's your funeral, pal.)
  • A Chemicals and reagents system which interacts with all kinds of other game mechanics. Want to melt someone with acid by throwing it on their face? How about filling up a spritzer bottle with napalm for a deadly prank?
  • Ridiculous stories to be made and told by the various crazy poo poo the crew end up doing!
  • It's free!

Space Station 13 in video format!

Razage's Lets Play SS13 series! Official Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568045&pagenumber=1

PlumpHelmetPunk also does pretty great 'Let's Plays' of SS13

Other Space Station 13 related threads on these forums:
Old Old Old Thread - You'll need archives to view it. This one is OLD.
Old Old Thread - Started May 16, 2012.
Old Thread - Started May 29, 2013.
Secrets of Space Station 13 - Found a cool or funny thing you'd like to share without everyone and their mother knowing about it? Post it here!

SS13-related Sites you might like to visit:

GOONHUB: Stat tracking site for the goonstation servers:

The Goonstation Wiki - The closest thing you'll get to a game manual. Be aware there's a lot of old and outdated information on here due to stuff in the game being changed quite often and the lack of wiki staff to keep it up to date and beat the crap out of the wiki in general.
The Goonstation Forums - Got banned? Come here to appeal it. Got suggestions or want to discuss various things? We've got that too.
:siren:PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY UNBAN REQUESTS OR DISCUSS YOUR BAN IN THIS TOPIC, GO TO OUR FORUM TO TO THAT!:siren:
All it does is generates a bunch of drama and pisses off the SA board administrators, which we don't want to do!

Our IRC channel is #goonstation on synirc.net and our Discord server is here!

Extra thanks to Supernorn for writing the original OP from last thread, because I basically just stole + updated it a bit (I probably missed some stuff I should have changed, oh well #yolo #swag). Thanks pal!!!

Haine fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds
reserving post for later

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

farts

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
honk

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
check these out every now and then for laughs:
http://goonhub.com/tickets
http://goonhub.com/fines

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

This is a brilliant game that deserves to be played more and seen by more people.

Honk.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

space station 13 is one of the best weird games i've played in my life and i still read this stupid thread even if i havent touched the game in a year or two.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

worth noting: the 13th of every month is rear end DAY, where almost all of the rules are suspended. Basically: Don't break the server, don't say/do anything with sexual context, don't break real-life laws. You wanna log in and see how far you can drive a toolbox up someone's nose before they beat you to death with your own severed rear end? rear end DAY might be for you!

the way i sup up this game when i'm explaining it to people is that it's a game where you can beat a man to the ground with his own severed rear end, then finish him off by injecting his eyeballs with a mixture of his own vomit and the vomit of others. sometimes, there are clowns.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One day I hope to click on a SS13 thread and see "hey there's a new version of the game that doesn't have an interface cobbled together from tangled scraps of broken code". Until then, I'll keep dreaming and living vicariously through other people's experiences.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Internet Kraken posted:

One day I hope to click on a SS13 thread and see "hey there's a new version of the game that doesn't have an interface cobbled together from tangled scraps of broken code". Until then, I'll keep dreaming and living vicariously through other people's experiences.

This is a little like hoping for a remake of chess that takes place in realtime and has destructible terrain, unfortunately.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I just got done with an informative session of reading some of the the rejected unban appeals :catstare:

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

Internet Kraken posted:

the problem with the game is that there's a lot built on top of those tangled scraps and every attempt to remake it has failed because there is just so much stuff that would have to be remade

and as someone that spent a few years thinking I couldn't get over the interface, it's not that bad once you're used to it! it has its own weird logic that is kinda consistent sometimes except when it isn't but you can get used to the weird inconsistencies too! then eventually you start coding for it and you add to the problem because oh my god gently caress it, whatever, it works finally so it's good enough

ha ha hah ah h a I'm not crying you're crying

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is a little like hoping for a remake of chess that takes place in realtime and has destructible terrain, unfortunately.

I imagine Elon Musk's Mars mission will be more or less that, though possibly even stupider

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
SS13 is a good game, although it does have its issues. The interface is a pain to get used to, it's full of bugs, and the station is sometimes hilariously apathetic about the all-consuming jello monster that's taking over the station. On the other hand, you have crazy emergent gameplay and poo poo that you just wouldn't get from something not held together with duct tape and prayers. Let me tell you about jugglemancy, since this thread is looking thin on the stories front.

Some time ago, it was decided that clowns should have the ability to juggle. They could do this using the *twirl emote, which (I think, I am not coder) added a thing they were holding to some pocket space and gave them a juggling effect. When the clown fell over they dropped the things they were juggling. The problem was that they could also catch things thrown at them and add them to their juggle dimension. This included human beings, which the clown did not drop when they ceased juggling. The first few rounds after this was discovered, people were flinging themselves at clowns and becoming eternally trapped inside the clown (which had no air, so anyone without internals quickly suffocated). I think the only way to release the trapped people was to gib the clown, but I wasn't there for most of it so my memory's a bit hazy (maybe that didn't work when it was supposed to? idk). It was quickly patched out, but there's a commemorative plaque somewhere on the station for the brave souls who first discovered the dark secrets of jugglemancy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
One time I defeated the Syndicate by juggling several skulls and a bunch of glasses full of napalm and weldfuel, waddling into their midst, and flipping into their boss halfway through his scream of "DONT SHOOT HE'S JUGGLING-"

The AI solemnly pronounced me a hero as the crew descended on the scorched remains of the Syndicates to steal their stuff. Their bodies were later carried off to the morgue or the Chef, I'm not sure which. I remained there, charred, forgotten, slowly rotting upon my funeral bier of skulls and broken glass.

Honk.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
This is a game where, with some clever prep and planning, you can set up some incredibly elaborate stunts/systems/murder plots. And in any given round, 1/4th of the crew are trying to do that, 1/4th of the crew are compulsively stealing or scrounging as many useful items as possible, 1/4th of the crew are paranoid preppers making plans in case they feel the need to murder everyone in sight and disappear into the depths of the station, and the remaining 1/4th are merely trying to do their incredibly dangerous jobs in a station that hasn't been visited by space OSHA in decades. The moment that best describes this game is when a bloody assistant wearing a full-face mask, engineering gloves, and a security helmet starts trying to break into your department, and you have to quickly guess whether they're a serial killer or merely an unsociable kleptomaniac...Only for the decision to be rendered pointless when a clown walks by and throws an egg that causes the assistant to burst into flames and start itching uncontrollably.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I tried to get into this a few years ago but I ended up just wandering aimlessly until I got punched out or shoved out an airlock. Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough for SS13, but the potential for fun looks so good.

edit: that's not gonna stop me from trying again though :v:

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 4, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I played for the first time today and accidentally airlocked myself within 3 minutes. Cool game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Occasionally a Cronenberg horror is shattering windows with its screeching and grabbing terrified assistants to consume them whole, and a Clown wearing an eldritch crown will stagger drunkenly up donning a pair of boxing gloves and just pummel the beast for awhile until the Crown takes its due and the Clown spontaneously inverts into a science ghost.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love revisiting SS13 every 6 months or so, being completely floored by all the new things that have been added, slowly get myself back in the vibe of the things and be a good HoP, and then suddenly stop playing despite it being some of the best game experiences in my life.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Look the important thing is that I got rid of the cluwnes, okay? So there was a little collateral damage. Big whoop.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Angry Diplomat posted:

One time I defeated the Syndicate by juggling several skulls and a bunch of glasses full of napalm and weldfuel, waddling into their midst, and flipping into their boss halfway through his scream of "DONT SHOOT HE'S JUGGLING-"

The AI solemnly pronounced me a hero as the crew descended on the scorched remains of the Syndicates to steal their stuff. Their bodies were later carried off to the morgue or the Chef, I'm not sure which. I remained there, charred, forgotten, slowly rotting upon my funeral bier of skulls and broken glass.

Honk.

It's wonderful Angry Diplomat posts like this that make me wish I could get past the jank of the game. :allears:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Holy gently caress this loving map. And you brought back the singularity engine?

e:Nevermind that's mining apparently.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 4, 2017

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PopeCrunch posted:

Look the important thing is that I got rid of the cluwnes, okay? So there was a little collateral damage. Big whoop.

No more cluwnes?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Chickenwalker posted:

No more cluwnes?

Well, as long as I can use chef foods to make assistants monstrously-fat and minutes away from cardiac arrest, I'll be happy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I played SS13 in what feels like 20 years ago. I remember choosing the engineer a lot and creating 'dwarf bombs.' That is what people called it when the engineer pushed as many containers of plasma and stuff right on top of the engine core, and blowing it up. This would kill every single person playing and destroy the entire station. Can you still do that?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The last time I tried to play this I ended up the only engineer for a round. Terrified of the sudden responsibility of sorting out the engines, I pleaded for help in the admin channel. A disembodied voice took pity on me and helped me setup a stable loop that supplied power for the station. I was happy in the engine room, trying to work out the interface and move things around while my admin ghost friend kept me right. I ignored the explosions and screams and odd sounds coming from the PA system.

My work complete I eventually stepped out of the engine room to explore and was instantly killed by a wizard. The ghost admin laughed.

It's a fun little game if you have the time.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 4, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The most fun I had playing was going to medbay and doing my best to try to save lives. Being a proper doctor is probably the most futile thing you can do but it feels good to have people genuinely thank you before walking back into the raging inferno you pulled them out of.

If I remember right it wasn't even that hard once you got the basics down. Mostly just injecting people with the right drug cocktail. Maybe have mixed the wrong stuff and killed a few but nobody had to know that was my fault.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Most fun I had playing was being being burned alive in chem supply while making a heart wrenching speech over comms as people fight to get to me. The whole station came to my funeral.

They never found out it was the bomb I created that caused the fire.I was not antag

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 4, 2017

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The most fun I ever had was littering the station with pills and patches that mutate individuals into being clones of me. Once at least half the station was me, there was a witch hunt to find the original and I was set aflame in the medbay bathroom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mine is still being a Changeling during an adminbus round. People fled to the safety of the Research Department to escape the two busses roaming the halls, and I fed well on stragglers for ages without anyone figuring out what was going on. Even the ghosts apparently took a fair while to cotton onto the lone Changeling eating people in the middle of a cataclysmic meteor storm.

Then, for a finale, the admins put a Hell Portal in the escape shuttle. It dropped people into a lava-surrounded arena with a pair of Wendigo Kings. I'd already popped Shambling Horror for my own fun on the shuttle, and some valiant hero managed to shove me through the portal in an attempt to keep me from eating more people.

So I punched the Wendigo Kings hard enough to smack each of them into the lava and claimed Hell for myself :black101:.

Other players followed, all either got punted into lava or eaten. All were punished for trespassing into my domain.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Chickenwalker posted:

No more cluwnes?

And no more about two thirds of the station, but hey. No I didn't like remove the concept of cluwnes, I'm not coder. I just blew a bunch to hell.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Internet Kraken posted:

Same, actually. Whenever I play I just end up dying halfway through doing cool poo poo. At this point I usually just watch, or make robots, or fill things up with gas and leave them near heat sources. Fun stuff.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Node posted:

I played SS13 in what feels like 20 years ago. I remember choosing the engineer a lot and creating 'dwarf bombs.' That is what people called it when the engineer pushed as many containers of plasma and stuff right on top of the engine core, and blowing it up. This would kill every single person playing and destroy the entire station. Can you still do that?

It usually takes more than that to take out the whole station these days. You'll set the engine on fire, sure, but the engine's built pretty strong these days since it's usually on fire, and it's not as easy to turn the engine into a station-melting hellhole as it used to be.

It seems like there aren't as many labels on the Cogmap2 engine valves as there were on Cogmap1, though, which makes things difficult if you're, say, a cyborg plunging into the hellfires to try to find the purge valve and the engineer's corpse.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Malpais Legate posted:

The most butt I ever had was littering the butt with butt and patches that mutate butts into being clones of butt. Once at least half the butt was butt, there was a butt hunt to find the butt and I was set aflame in the butt bathroom.

:butt:

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I was an admin on Goonstation for what felt like a million years, a million years ago. (ingame tag was LithiumNitrate)

I had to leave to do real life stuff for a long time but the only mark I think I helped leave on this game was the implementation of the GANG WAR mini-gamemode.
One evening, after watching The Warriors and consuming an entire liter of Dr. Pepper, I decided to hop on to SS13. This was when the server regularly had 30-50 people on it during peak times (I'm not sure precisely what year this was). I remember with the help of the other admins, painstakingly teleporting every single person to an empty room and spawning an enormous quantity of different gang-colored jumpsuits. We then made some rules about conduct that everybody ignored (don't hurt your friendly gang members mmkay) and then teleported everybody back on to the ship to specific sections (pinstripe gang was given security, or something like that) to see how things would go down.

As expected, things went to a wonderful pile of clown poo poo. Lacking the foresight to give anybody an end goal or win condition, I soon realized our mistake. The ship flew into its regular bouts of chaos and anarchy, and after about an hour the shuttle had to be called and I'm pretty sure the server needed to be restarted.

If anyone else was there for this strange memory, please remind me of the most awful/awesome moments.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gang mode was a good idea in theory but Christ it sucked in practice

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Haine posted:

the problem with the game is that there's a lot built on top of those tangled scraps and every attempt to remake it has failed because there is just so much stuff that would have to be remade

and as someone that spent a few years thinking I couldn't get over the interface, it's not that bad once you're used to it! it has its own weird logic that is kinda consistent sometimes except when it isn't but you can get used to the weird inconsistencies too! then eventually you start coding for it and you add to the problem because oh my god gently caress it, whatever, it works finally so it's good enough

ha ha hah ah h a I'm not crying you're crying

Yeah SS13 remakes have the same problem as Dwarf Fortress remakes, where the sheer amount of STUFF that has gone in over years and years of iteration makes the prospect of "I'll just copy what's there but with a better interface" a lot more difficult than it sounds.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah SS13 remakes have the same problem as Dwarf Fortress remakes, where the sheer amount of STUFF that has gone in over years and years of iteration makes the prospect of "I'll just copy what's there but with a better interface" a lot more difficult than it sounds.

Plus the whole networking, graphics, interface, controls, content creation tools, yadda yadda that BYOND gives you for zero work is difficult to make well before you can even start on the game stuff. It's some old and busted and extremely frustrating stuff but the price is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Played a few rounds on LLJK. It's amazing how easy I forget everything. After a couple rounds on "normal" SS13 I decided to try the top SS13 server right now, the Colonial Marines RP (after confirming it's not that weird fetish server). It's actually pretty fun. The roleplay comes easy and everyone plays along. Lots of action, cool stories. Rounds are SUPER long though. Between 2 and 3 hours. My last one was 3 and the one before that was 2 1/2.

Late in the last game I ran north to see if I could find a squad mate. I found one and walk up to him and asked him if there was anyone else alive. Before he could finish typing 2 aliens jump on top of us from the darkness.
All he could say was "S-s-shi-t" as the alien tore a hole in his chest. The alien that jumped me was a bit less competent. We scuffled on the ground and he threw a facehugger at me which broke my helmet. I stood up(forgetting my dropped gun) and ran through the nearby hydroponics room juking him around tables and ran out the other side into a field. In the field he had the speed advantage and caught up to me. I pulled the knife out of my boot and slashed him right has he reached me. He hissed in pain and green acid blood sprayed across the field. We fought for about 30 more seconds and I got a couple more slashes in before he jumped on me, knocked me out, and devoured me.

For a solid couple minutes I couldn't see anything but a faint white light as the alien carried me up to his nest. He secured me on the nest next to my squads dead medic and left. My vision was blurring and the pain was getting worse. I started to resist and stammered for help over the radio. All of my squad was gone and no one was coming to help me. I lost and regained consciousness. I started to resist again once I woke up and broke free. I began pulling the medical bag off the dead medic next to me but before I could finish my chest burst open, killing me.

It was a lot of fun and I recommend trying it if you don't mind stuff that's a bit more serious.