Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I hope SS14 is the one that makes it big. If I remember correctly the Unity guys had said that, because of the way Unity works, custom gamemodes and servers might be a big problem. I could be misremembering or maybe they found a way around it but those things are pretty important (to other people, I just play Goon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Has anyone itt been playing ss14? How's it feel to actually play? Going by the latest update it looks like it pulls a lot from tg, but what's the player culture like?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DaysBefore posted:

I hope SS14 is the one that makes it big. If I remember correctly the Unity guys had said that, because of the way Unity works, custom gamemodes and servers might be a big problem. I could be misremembering or maybe they found a way around it but those things are pretty important (to other people, I just play Goon)

Unity afaik has this weird problem where it's game code in C# isn't actually C# but transpiled into C++ that feeds the unity engine resulting in some fun quirks.

tokin opposition posted:

Has anyone itt been playing ss14? How's it feel to actually play? Going by the latest update it looks like it pulls a lot from tg, but what's the player culture like?

I know devteam booted a toxic contributor so that's good

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

champagne posting posted:

I know devteam booted a toxic contributor so that's good

Was it PJB? I seem to recall him being both prolific and an active poo poo flinger on other SS13 clone projects.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cmdrk posted:

Was it PJB? I seem to recall him being both prolific and an active poo poo flinger on other SS13 clone projects.

I don't remember the name, just that toxicity was dealt with

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

I've only observed a few games but everyone seems nice. It's been 5+ years since I played any version of SS13 but SS14 felt buttery smooth compared to what I remember. The discord is quite active and there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm.

If anyone is interested I have a test server running at ss14.floats.boats. I think it's on sandbox mode but I'm not sure, still figuring everything out.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Only complaint I've heard is that it uses FoV for drawing instead of drawing the whole screen like in 13. Seems cool to me, but it's different. I assume it's toggleable though?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I've tried to get into this a few times but never could get past the frustration of the controls. I hadn't heard of SS14 so I'm looking forward to trying out the more modern implementation.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

goodness posted:

I've tried to get into this a few times but never could get past the frustration of the controls. I hadn't heard of SS14 so I'm looking forward to trying out the more modern implementation.

SS14 is more polished but it's still a very obtuse game. The codebase is easier to work with though so hopefully the UI will improve further.

I will say, the shadows are loving killing me. It's hard to focus on things while moving because your field of view changes with every step. There's a toggle somewhere luckily

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I've got a friend from Russia who's wanting to play but unable to join any of the Goonstation servers because it says he's using a VPN, even though he isn't. He is able to join any other SS13 server just fine though. Any idea why this is or anyone who can help?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Barent posted:

I've got a friend from Russia who's wanting to play but unable to join any of the Goonstation servers because it says he's using a VPN, even though he isn't. He is able to join any other SS13 server just fine though. Any idea why this is or anyone who can help?

It's quite a while ago so I don't remember but when I connected with a VPN (due to being in a country with restricted access) it was just a matter of notifying the admins and then no problem. I assume he can do the same thing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barent posted:

Pretty sure if they join the Discord there is a way to contact an admin and get an exemption.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Yep did just that and it's been taken care of, thanks all!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Finally got around to trying this out (after watching the infamous fried rear end video) and I've had a few fun shifts. I keep stumbling into mechanics, systems or items I feel far too unqualified to mess around with, but I can finish a more-or-less functional shift as a miner, botanist or janitor. Still can't figure out the differences between the servers, though.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

SexyBlindfold posted:

Still can't figure out the differences between the servers, though.

honestly not worth playing something other than goonstation unless you want to blast some aliens in the colonial marines server, or like furry erp

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
anything based on /tg/ is probably full of racists and bigots

beestation code is slightly less racist but still awful

goonstation is mostly free of the worst kinds of people but imo most of the weird fun has slowly been getting phased out in favor of weird, unfitting changes/additions

monkestation is a beestation code offshoot run by a streamer

coolstation is basically "goonstation classic"

plenty of options

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

does coolstation have old sax

this is very important

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm part of the coolstation team (also monkestation (also goon (though i'm on break))), i will forward your concerns along

if it does not have them i imagine it will soon

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Does Coolstation have a link? I have definitely been disillusioned with modern Goon, and Goon Classic sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
oh lordy does it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

i'm part of the coolstation team (also monkestation (also goon (though i'm on break))), i will forward your concerns along

if it does not have them i imagine it will soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyH_W1tQGBc&t=24shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iFbuIpe68k

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 22, 2022

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
keep in mind coolstation is still In Development, playtesting gets announced on the discord so hop in there if you wanna' try it!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i have confirmed with The Team that the good sax songs (plus two additional ones) were re-added to coolstation on sep 7 2021 :patriot:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

But what about the streamers?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
any where i can build pipebombs and hide them around works for me

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I thought old sax was removed under threat of DMCA?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I think that was specifically for streamers/let's players, and helping them avoid getting their streams copyright claimed, rather than any actual threat to the server.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I think that was specifically for streamers/let's players, and helping them avoid getting their streams copyright claimed, rather than any actual threat to the server.

To be honest I think that's even worse. I know the sax music doesn't really ~matter~ but removing something thar was a pretty iconic part of the game's insane soundscape it to protect the integrity of a streamer's channel rankles a bit.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tenebrais posted:

Here's to hoping newer implementations of SS13 includes a streamer mode where the sax is weird and boring

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

DaysBefore posted:

But what about the streamers?

What about the streamers?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

'Streamer Mode' option that permabans you from the server as soon as you turn it on

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

DaysBefore posted:

'Streamer Mode' option that permabans you from the server as soon as you turn it on

This is a little unfair.

Make them get Cluwne disease 5 minutes in

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

the reasoning was that goonstation was going open source, the team didn't want to have copyrighted material sitting in the repo, and they weren't really interested in adjusting things so that the short sax clips didn't exist in the repo but could be added to a server separately. so now nobody plays instruments because you have to play them manually, over byond, and they sound bad anyway. not having streamers get upset at them was just a tertiary benefit

kind of a sour episode because it was certainly possible to preserve them but most of the folks i talked to about it just had an attitude of "they don't really matter too much anyway"; which i thought was kind of wild since to me they were an unforgettable part of goonstation, but i'm over it (mostly)

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 22, 2022

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the manual instrument system absolutely pales in comparison to tg-flavored code, where you can actually paste in pre-made songs and they'll play as long as you're holding them

sort of like the player piano but less awful

SugarAddict posted:

no dmca threats have happened afaik

the sax was removed because "a streamer might get a copyright strike" or whatever, and other copyrighted things have been getting removed as well it seems

i am personally firmly in the "removing it was stupid" camp. nothing like killing a feature used by hundreds because it might get a single streamer in trouble

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it came from reddit (zewaka, in particular):

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 24, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is the most nineties website I have seen in years, it is truly excellent.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that website is amazing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

can now confirm that coolstation has a cool & good team with correct ideas about ss13

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
There is poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

So after like a year or so break I just came back to play a round and after most of the station was taken over by Kudzu vines, the botanist turned the entire botany section into a permanent hotbox with a constant supply of growing weed to keep the fire going and there were wasps everywhere, while someone managed to drown a monkey in the brig using an ungodly amount of his piss. The shuttle was eventually called after the hotbox fire got too hot and burned through the hull of the ship, extinguishing the fire, killing the bees and put a stop to the kudzu, solving all problems in one smooth go.

It's good to be back.