Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

monolithburger posted:

Katamari Trash Cart is the best way to play janitor.

Give the janitor a floor sweeper that can pick up stuff. Be rewired to rip up tile, and emagged to remove floors to space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You should be able to wire some explosives to the Trash Cart, and depending on the amount of stuff in the cart, and the strength of the explosive, you get a big bang with random poo poo flying everywhere.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

You should be able to wire some explosives to the Trash Cart, and depending on the amount of stuff in the cart, and the strength of the explosive, you get a big bang with random poo poo flying everywhere.

Mousetrap pipe bomb work on those?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Sorium is your friend here, especially where heavy trash carts are concerned.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Unhappy Meal posted:

I usually have fun with it, but then I operate under, "If it's on the floor it's trash." Liberal interpretations may take this to mean that the floor tiles are also trash.

Play it like this. Also always include spacemen in this definition.

After about 30 minutes when everyone's used to your antics you replace your trash cart with a syndicate one. :getin:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
With the new pulling speed nerf, the trash cart will take half the round to lug through a corridor once more than half a dozen items are in it though, so have fun with that!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Inadequately posted:

With the new pulling speed nerf, the trash cart will take half the round to lug through a corridor once more than half a dozen items are in it though, so have fun with that!
Upgrade the cart with oiled treads from a roboticist?!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Getting the muscular enhancement gene from genetics will fully negate the speed penalty from pulling things around.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For those interested, the new Prey that came out last week seems to me to be a lot like playing in the aftermath of a changeling rampage in SS13.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

For those interested, the new Prey that came out last week seems to me to be a lot like playing in the aftermath of a changeling rampage in SS13.

It's p good and feels like a spiritual successor to system shock

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It starts out super strong but half-ish through loses steam and becomes a slog

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Dumb question: what's the etiquette with regards to being an idiot? The wiki is absolutely sprawling, and since there doesn't seem to be a singleplayer option, the only way I can see to actually start learning the game is to join a new round as an assistant, do something/everything wrong, and die horribly early on. Is that fine, or should I be trying to memorize/internalize a fairly large amount of knowledge before actually playing?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

Dumb question: what's the etiquette with regards to being an idiot? The wiki is absolutely sprawling, and since there doesn't seem to be a singleplayer option, the only way I can see to actually start learning the game is to join a new round as an assistant, do something/everything wrong, and die horribly early on. Is that fine, or should I be trying to memorize/internalize a fairly large amount of knowledge before actually playing?

Nope, you've nailed it. That is the SS13 experience.

Even the really experienced players are clueless about 80% of the game. Someone who can set up a sweet hellburn might be helpless in telescience. Trying to learn everything before starting just means you'll never start.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Omi no Kami posted:

Not only is that totally fine, you should join your first round as the Captain. You're uniquely qualified for the role when you're just starting out.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Mimesweeper posted:

Not only is that totally fine, you should join your first round as the Captain. You're uniquely qualified for the role when you're just starting out.

...for some reason this makes me imagine a rag-clad hobo standing in the captain's chair screaming "Fusion ocelot murder-rainbow" and cackling in glee as the entire station atomizes before him. :)

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Omi no Kami posted:

...for some reason this makes me imagine a rag-clad hobo standing in the captain's chair screaming "Fusion ocelot murder-rainbow" and cackling in glee as the entire station atomizes before him. :)

man you're a natural, get on the drat station.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
It's really annoying when someone intentionally does the bug that permanently deletes the station's powergrid.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Does anyone else find that the ads played by BYOND have a volume icon that is completely nonfunctional? You can't change it or mute it. It's really starting to piss me off.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Mimesweeper posted:

man you're a natural, get on the drat station.

Just as soon as I read several hundred pages of wiki and learn the ins and outs of clowns, monkeys, and tactical bartending.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

Just as soon as I read several hundred pages of wiki and learn the ins and outs of clowns, monkeys, and tactical bartending.

Well sure, you have to know the basics.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Omi no Kami posted:

Just learn the way to poke poo poo without destroying it and hop on. On the job learning is exciting for the whole station.

If you find something specific you want to go into more depth on, then go looking through the wiki for it then.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ashsaber posted:

Just learn the way to poke poo poo without destroying it and hop on. On the job learning is exciting for the whole station.

If you find something specific you want to go into more depth on, then go looking through the wiki for it then.

Is there anything in particular I should be doing as the assistant, or is it literally just a free license to roam around unrestricted areas and poke things until they explode? The wiki suggests poking people for odd jobs, but the variety of helpful tasks they list seems both massive and highly situational. (After all, not *every* station needs a pretty party princess; I'm sure some can make do with a pretty party hobo.)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I would reccomend watching some videos of a space station 13 Lets Play,
This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Yorpyorpyorp?videos has some good videos for you to watch and get a general idea.

Edit: Holy poo poo: I learned something new from the first video I clicked on, you can harvest plants straight into a produce satchel.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay, thanks!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mousetrap bombs are really underutilized, especially since it's almost impossible to figure out who left it somewhere, as the evidence is consumed by the explosion. They're also really easy to make. Granted, you need gunpowder or erebite to make really nasty ones, but unless they changed it, even welding fuel pipebombs have a chance to blow off a limb and stick shrapnel in you, and nothing you need to make them (other than possibly extra mousetraps) needs any kind of special access to get. And if you DO need extra mousetraps for some reason, it's not like anyone's going to notice (or care) that someone's broken into the janitor's closet

They also have the nice side effect of making people get paranoid about containers just lying around on the floor in public areas.

Also I guess it's been like a year since I played this. Is the guy who melts down about Star Wars still an admin? :laugh:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
That reminds me, I haven't seen anyone use the mousetrap car bomb in an age. My favorite way to use those was to bolt open every door on Cog1 from the medbay lobby to sec and let fly.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there anything in particular I should be doing as the assistant, or is it literally just a free license to roam around unrestricted areas and poke things until they explode? The wiki suggests poking people for odd jobs, but the variety of helpful tasks they list seems both massive and highly situational. (After all, not *every* station needs a pretty party princess; I'm sure some can make do with a pretty party hobo.)

Don't be an assistant. Pick a job with things you can try to do but nobody really minds if you don't. Like Head of Personnel, who's expected to give himself all access then gently caress off into space and die somewhere.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I found chef to be a really nice job to get started with. You get your own little space to play around in without having to bother anyone else and you get to experiment with all kinds of ingredients to see what kind of delicious terrible food you can surprise terrorise your crew with.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I know literally everything about this game is comedy gold, but I am incredibly entertained by the wiki's chef article- "Under no circumstances should you grab a monkey while in the kitchen or holding a knife. If you do, in a few seconds there will be a monkey with a knife. "

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I do stupid poo poo every round because I don't have a clue what I'm doing, if you stay away from explosives and monkeys you should make it to the end of the round. Avoid assistant only because you can't do anything except die. botany, chef, janitor, Chaplin, and barman are good starting ones since they have good learning opportunities that show you the basics and you can still cause mischief. If those are all taken if you join late then pick anything and proceed to do the job poorly.

Regarding monkeys, how does grabbing work exactly? I feel like I'm missing most of the fun in not being able to make monkey meat as a chef or use one as a test subject in science.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I do stupid poo poo every round because I don't have a clue what I'm doing, if you stay away from explosives and monkeys you should make it to the end of the round. Avoid assistant only because you can't do anything except die. botany, chef, janitor, Chaplin, and barman are good starting ones since they have good learning opportunities that show you the basics and you can still cause mischief. If those are all taken if you join late then pick anything and proceed to do the job poorly.

Regarding monkeys, how does grabbing work exactly? I feel like I'm missing most of the fun in not being able to make monkey meat as a chef or use one as a test subject in science.

It's been a while for me, but I think you have to aggressively grab monkeys to do anything with them. Monkeys will also constantly downgrade your grab level as they slip out of your grasp, so while you're dragging them around you need to keep clicking on them.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's been a while for me, but I think you have to aggressively grab monkeys to do anything with them. Monkeys will also constantly downgrade your grab level as they slip out of your grasp, so while you're dragging them around you need to keep clicking on them.

I'll give it a try, sadly I keep getting my face ripped off by them but eventually I'll get it!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The wiki also says that apparently grab aggroes them, but pull does not, so in your capacity as borkmaster extreme it is incumbent upon you to gently pull the hairy rat bastards towards the sharp metal spike in your freezer, and only grab them at the last second so you can help the spike to give them a hug. (And then you chop their adorable little monkey bodies into many, many pieces and bake yourself a fun Temple Of Doom-themed novelty cake.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The only real way to cook monkeys is to approach them with two knives, throw one at them, and then knife-fight them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Since I'm still learning the controls I chef'd myself, picked up a welder (because it was there), and figured I would cook every single duck I could find. Thing is, I didn't look at the chat log, so I never realized that instead of cooking then, I'd been using the welder to manually beat them to death. (Then I picked a fight with a cat and proceeded to get my rear end handed to me, so to escape it I flung myself into space, only to realize that I couldn't actually get the door to operate again from outside.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omi no Kami posted:

Since I'm still learning the controls I chef'd myself, picked up a welder (because it was there), and figured I would cook every single duck I could find. Thing is, I didn't look at the chat log, so I never realized that instead of cooking then, I'd been using the welder to manually beat them to death. (Then I picked a fight with a cat and proceeded to get my rear end handed to me, so to escape it I flung myself into space, only to realize that I couldn't actually get the door to operate again from outside.)

Sounds like a successful SS13 round to me :shrug:.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Dying is part of the fun. :cenobite:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sounds like a successful SS13 round to me :shrug:.

Now that I'm trawling through the wiki, it is astonishing to me how much damage a chef traitor/murderer/anything non-vanilla could do, given that you have access to a gibber and the perfect excuse to drag dead bodies around.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Now that I'm trawling through the wiki, it is astonishing to me how much damage a chef traitor/murderer/anything non-vanilla could do, given that you have access to a gibber and the perfect excuse to drag dead bodies around.
it is absolutely the best role for all of those things. The kitchen is also a great base that can be locked down and barricaded with ease, with only two doors, easy ways to spot anyone approaching (since they'll often come through the bar and encounter the bartender, who tends to shoot anyone who gets into his personal space and who has a solemn pact with the chef to always side with and protect each other), and several escape chutes taking you all over the station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly the most innocuous roles are always the best for traitors since A) People tend to ignore them and B) They tend not to have anything important to do so people also expect them to gently caress around.