Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Chickenwalker posted:

No more cluwnes?

Well, as long as I can use chef foods to make assistants monstrously-fat and minutes away from cardiac arrest, I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I think it's time to bring 'ol Bill Rizer out of the freezer.

Is Security still a thankless, highly-lethal job where your efforts at keeping the station safe are ultimately-futile and will 99% of the time lead you into arresting/killing the wrong suspect and turn the entire station and the admins against you?

'Cause I wouldn't have it any other way. (also issuing dumb joke tickets to the crew from a segway is the only thing that keeps me from eating my own stun baton)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Colonial Marines server trip report:

The Good:

-Goofy-rear end SS13 combat occurring all over the place. I'm talking players skating around the jungle like it's Disney on ice, aliens colliding into walls from missed charges, and hilarious amounts of friendly fire.

-Colonist role has all the fun of being a terrifies human admist a swarm of monsters without the crushing waiting and rules-mongering that comes with being a marine!

-Last stands up the wazoo!

-Delimbing hapless victims never gets old.

The Bad:

-The server's dedication to roleplay leads to some really cringy poo poo, such as marines unironically spewing jarhead-speak and the constant, creepy "mommy" relationship the aliens have with the queen.

-Predators are really powerful and cool so they attract the biggest turbonerds that spend most of their time making spooky noises and gabbing about honor.

-Holy poo poo it takes forever for a round to start/end. The first hour consists of aliens vomiting goo all over the place and marines rp'ing on the Sulaco, then there's another half hour spent wandering the colony taking potshots at shadows, then an actual 20 minutes of action followed by another hour of mopping up surviving xenos/marines. I spent an entire evening just sitting through two games.

-No clowns.

In short, it's a ton of fun, robust combat marred by strict rules and a ton of needless fluff that extends the game needlessly. I'd kill for a version with Goonstation's style of rp-commitment and waves of Nanotransen clown commandos being sent to their early graves over a crate of Discount Dan's teriyaki-style corporate secrets hidden in an alien hive.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Haine posted:

It was about 50/50 "glass tables are pretty" and "throwing people into glass tables is funny" tbh (shout out to Gannets for spriting them for me!)

I never get tired of that avatar.

What's the deal with birds, anyhow? Occasionally I'll see them flood the station without warning, squawking up a storm. Are cockatiels valued chef ingredients now?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
It's a good thing that Terror Birds have long since gone extinct and would never appear on a futuristic space station designed for scientific endeavours.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
A good one for lowpop server antagonists is to abduct their target (sleepypen is great for this) and seal themselves in medical to perform "experiments" with their new pal. Brag loudly over the radio about your "great work" and you can keep everyone (including your target) entertained and still accomplish your objectives.

Alternate idea for changelings on slow servers: Become a clown who performs the most horrifying tricks involving hapless monkeys/assistants.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
That's why you always keep a drop weapon on your person at all times. A small bribe to Detectives who actually do their job never hurts, either.

Of course, real Shitcurity would have just finished the job, instead.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Also Godbless this idiotic, nigh-unplayable game about farting spacemen:

I just wanted to be a gimmick AI that spewed quotes from Midway's NBA: Jam. Instead, the station transformed into a basketball stadium, I got to promote Decirprevo products, and numerous crewmembers were obliterated by negative B-ball particles.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sounds like you were given ample reason to spew quotes from Midway's NBA: Jam :colbert:.

In all honesty I found it to be a great preview for The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I've fallen in love with the Radio Host job, and after a few rounds of parodying various radio cliches I feel it would be a perfect starting role with just a few additions:

- Allow the Voice Synthesizer to store multiple voices and dialogue for easy playback. This would be fantastic for setting up segments while you play music, and for creating dumb sound effects.

- Somewhat-related, I would also like a way to easily prepare recordings. The tape recorder captures in real-time, making it too obtuse to use without timing your pauses or having a great WPM.

- I want more playable records and tapes, especially ads. Just drown me in variety!

I'd also love to see stuff like a way to do broadcasts outside the studio (which may cut too much into the journalist's schtick), the ability to play actual sound effects through the channel (something that would almost certainly be abused the day its implemented), and dumb, gimmicky traitor items, but this would all be icing on the quintuple-fried cake.

Also does any of the radio equipment react to being emagged?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
A souped-up, station-wide radio jammer mod for the studio that scrambles everything but your channel (and telephones) would be very effective and fitting for the egotistical DJ.

Balanced by fact that your radio equipment is an immobile object that crewmembers can easily find once the jig is up, it still leaves the vanilla signal jammer as a competitive option.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Are there actual rules and a cardlist for Spacemen: The Griffening or is it just an elaborate joke/waste of spacebucks? If so, where's the current meta at right now, and when can we expect a new expansion?

I suddenly have a really awful idea to use with the radiostation...

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Just chimin' in to say thanks to the admin who turned me into a talking monster-burger. For a scant few minutes I got to live the dream.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
As security I basically ask myself "what would an incompetent, well-meaning mall cop do" to dictate my actions. Seems to work decently enough.

You can also put me firmly in the "brig antagonists for absurdly small amounts of time" camp. I love making a big hubbub about the lengthy sentence a convicted perp will be getting, only to reveal that attempted murder with obvious traitor weapons nets them all of five minutes in the space-clink and their gear shoved into a crate/redistributed as party favours.

Oddly-enough I still end up with a non-zero amount of traitors who decide that decapitating themselves on the mail-chute is preferable to being stuck in a room with an adorable convict monkey for the length of a commercial break.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Any goons interested in messing around on the Colonial Marines server? I've been digging the janky, friendly-fire-filled combat and the barely-functional teamwork as of late (also it looks like most of the creepy/fascist roleplay aspects have died off) and I'd love to play with some buddies.

catch me on steam if you're down: https://steamcommunity.com/id/ChickenHeart

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
The improv "Small Crimes Unit" explanation in response to being hit by a shrink-ray was fantastic.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
All the AI really needs is some alternate options for "opening" doors at the behest of rude crewmembers:

-make door open agonizingly-slowly

-door begins to open, then immediately closes

-door squirts water at crewman and spins a goofy bowtie (traitor only)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

tokin opposition posted:

Wandering around with radimmume and radioactive, giving free hugs

all fun and games until you run into another player doing the same bit and reach critical mass