Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I survived the depths of space as a miner only to die stupidly to candy thrown at me that I stupidly decided to ear in Escape. And I even knew not to eat floorpills! ARGH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

All I know about genetics is that I tried to inject myself with the cool mutations and nothing happened. Apparently it's more complicated than I thought.

Also, I hosed up throwing a blanket over the monkeys and they drat near instakilled me in a half second. Little bastards. How are you supposed to do it?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

You'd think they'd have heard that an army fights on its stomach. Someday, I'm sure, your one man whisk assault versus the queen will be possible

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The Day The Janitors Cleaned House

Summer 2018

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

... there are cars now?! I'm too busy getting murdered by lab chimps to notice!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

dogstile posted:

I dunno nobody ever got mad at me for setting myself on fire so long as the fire was nearish a fire extinguisher.

Then again I always ended up blowing up toxins. Aside from the one time i smoked a cigarette and somehow blew up the entirety of botany. I'm pretty sure I adminhelped saying "er, so in advance i'm sorry, but what the gently caress"

Didn't you know smoking kills?!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Alright, but how do we get THREE ghosts to appear at once...?

BAH GAWD IT'S VINCE, VINCE HIMSELF IS COMING TO CHALLENGE THE MAETCHO MAENNS

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

PopeCrunch posted:

So um

lovely Bill messaged me, he finally found his phone charger so he was returning some missed calls and voicemails, and if you left him a message back in May asking about a pork recipe, he is very sorry for confusing the poo poo out of possibly your mother? He wasn't sure about the relationship, just that a middleaged woman answered the phone and although he insists he was on his best behavior, long story short she did not expect to be talking to lovely Bill in a basic day, so if you wind up having a real weird conversation with your mom or whatever later, he says he's sorry.

This sounds like one weird round of admin gimmicks. I approve.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Isaac posted:

Peopke who play ss13 like its competitive are the worst.

360 NOPILLS SPACE THE CLOWN COMPILATION MONTAGE
Length: 4:20
by: xXxSephIROTHgokuThEsTaMpEdExXx

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

Someone will still ban you for existing.

Ironically this is what they claim the goonstation mods are like.

My favorite is when they go “Why can’t we have sexist/racist names or use slurs?!” and try way harder to rules lawyer why they should be able to do that rather than just, you know, play the game and have fun?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Leal posted:

Shouldn't have anything related to immigrants, really.

Immigrants go to a place to live. No one goes to Space Station 13 to live.

I feel like “Poor Unlucky Bastard” might be more appropriate, or some randomized slightly disparaging job names like “Monkey Punching Bag”, “Clown Fart Receptacle”, “Chemist”...

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

0lives posted:

I want to be an illegal alien, in that I am a martian who is wanted for space crimes

But that's every martian

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Mallcop should totally be a job for wannabe sec officers

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just give Security a pretend "Deputy" badge they can hand out to people. Doesn't actually do anything or grant access anywhere (it's just a crude slip of paper with "Deputy" written on it. Incorrectly, according to the examined description), but you can stick it in your ID slot and point at it to feel like a big man on the station!

"Junior Deputy" stickers would be a great patronizing gift/punishment/insult

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I feel like a Keystone Kops style uniform would be perfect

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Shuttle has been called, Reason: EXCESSIVE SPOOKY GHOST PRESENCE DETECTED, 2SPOOPY4ME-LEVEL ALERT ISSUED

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

People bring up the very good point that it’s hard to port ss13 because it has so many features and it’s so enmeshed with Byond. I’m surprised these ports don’t start a bit simpler and trade some of the more complex game elements for more user friendliness.

E: Like, the closest thing to an SS13 port I've played is Unfortunate Spacemen, which has more fps-ey modes but has the basic conceit of "all of you are spacemen but one of you is a changeling" which obviously doesn't have the same level of complexity, but it's a functioning game in 3d with at least some of the panic, fear, mistrust and getting ejected into space. I wish the ports would try to take their version of what made the game fun and make it more accessible rather than just copy everything from Byond into an incompatible format.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 12, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

I think it's because people want to port SS13 over to a new engine, but they neglect to realize that the game developed over a decade from a whole mob of volunteer coders of questionable and varying skill levels. They want to replicate the game, but the reason the game is the amazing thing it is is because it's a horrible rats nest of code that's just been added to and added to for over 10 years now. Trying to replicate a house of cards from the top down doesn't really work very well or very easily.

I know. The reach exceeds their grasp every time. I feel like starting with a fun Space Mafia esque game and then building on that would be the smarter move. At least, before trying to put in a full fidelity atmospheric simulation

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Honestly even that Unfortunate Spacemen game has low population. That's rather depressing as, again, it's the only game that captures even a glint of the feeling that SS13 has. Completely unintentionally, as far as I'm aware. And that's with far less features and complexity, emphasis on action, simpler objectives and shorter round length.

Although they do have weekly community on the weekend. Great fun if you're in the discord.

Apparently it's very hard to replicate even a small part of the SS13 comedy factory.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Does it really have enough clowns, farting, and dying in space?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I wish there were more adventure maps that had less sperg and more accessibility.

I wanna see a series of lemming like puzzle maps where the crew uses their destructive potential for... well maybe not good, but slightly constructive purposes.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I know there are adventure zones, but how do I get there? And can they actually be “won”? From my understanding it takes a dedicated telescience team and pure luck and you die pretty much instantly.

Would be nice to have a vr version of an adventure zone.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Something with a grizzly amount of potassium

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Your next move should have been to arrest and try the captain for sedition.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Combine clown with security, call them the Jape Justicars, and make them enforce space law AND space comedy!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Isaac posted:

balls digestion server

What

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I think I like the spy vs spy esque comedy of ss13 without a generous helping of grossout comedy

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Apparently rear end day got a little weirder than most this month, maybe?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Orangeman?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I've been making space meth in Maint and tripping my balls off, what'd I miss besides the escape shuttle

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I was going to do my monthly rear end day check in :smith:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Captainsalami posted:

Having people log in only once a month to be dicks to others sounds lovely for the regulars.

I actually just like to spectate and watch the madness

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

rear end day is the greatest survival horror game ever made unless the round rolls Butts on a 1d6, in which case it's basically Deadly Premonition. Either way is amazing.

I understood some of these words and am intrigued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Space station 14 and Unity Station are the latest attempts to port the game. Still active but not sure how feature complete they are.