Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Haine posted:

the problem with the game is that there's a lot built on top of those tangled scraps and every attempt to remake it has failed because there is just so much stuff that would have to be remade

and as someone that spent a few years thinking I couldn't get over the interface, it's not that bad once you're used to it! it has its own weird logic that is kinda consistent sometimes except when it isn't but you can get used to the weird inconsistencies too! then eventually you start coding for it and you add to the problem because oh my god gently caress it, whatever, it works finally so it's good enough

ha ha hah ah h a I'm not crying you're crying

Yeah SS13 remakes have the same problem as Dwarf Fortress remakes, where the sheer amount of STUFF that has gone in over years and years of iteration makes the prospect of "I'll just copy what's there but with a better interface" a lot more difficult than it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazerus posted:

one time a few years ago i was a changeling that got borged

i was able to regenerate from my brain alone by changing form, which caused my borg body to explode in all directions in its parts and a naked human to pop out

also i could reborgify at will as my borg body had been added to my transformation list

That is awesome. I wonder if that's just a weird consequence of the changeling and borg stuff interacting, or if it was put in there intentionally.

Changelings are the best antags.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

Dumb question: what's the etiquette with regards to being an idiot? The wiki is absolutely sprawling, and since there doesn't seem to be a singleplayer option, the only way I can see to actually start learning the game is to join a new round as an assistant, do something/everything wrong, and die horribly early on. Is that fine, or should I be trying to memorize/internalize a fairly large amount of knowledge before actually playing?

Nope, you've nailed it. That is the SS13 experience.

Even the really experienced players are clueless about 80% of the game. Someone who can set up a sweet hellburn might be helpless in telescience. Trying to learn everything before starting just means you'll never start.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

Just as soon as I read several hundred pages of wiki and learn the ins and outs of clowns, monkeys, and tactical bartending.

Well sure, you have to know the basics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I do stupid poo poo every round because I don't have a clue what I'm doing, if you stay away from explosives and monkeys you should make it to the end of the round. Avoid assistant only because you can't do anything except die. botany, chef, janitor, Chaplin, and barman are good starting ones since they have good learning opportunities that show you the basics and you can still cause mischief. If those are all taken if you join late then pick anything and proceed to do the job poorly.

Regarding monkeys, how does grabbing work exactly? I feel like I'm missing most of the fun in not being able to make monkey meat as a chef or use one as a test subject in science.

It's been a while for me, but I think you have to aggressively grab monkeys to do anything with them. Monkeys will also constantly downgrade your grab level as they slip out of your grasp, so while you're dragging them around you need to keep clicking on them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly the most innocuous roles are always the best for traitors since A) People tend to ignore them and B) They tend not to have anything important to do so people also expect them to gently caress around.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

One thing I learned from experimenting with the deep fryer is to never throw anything flammable in the deep fryer with the hopes of infusing whatever food product with its essence.

Whoever came across my blackened kitchen and fried corpse must've gotten a good kick out of it.

This is just the ultimate evolution of chef-dom. The only meal left to cook.... is yourself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
CO2 if you don't want it to explode, but why would you want that?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is this just weird physics? Why have the doors open?

I think it is that. I don't know the exact details about creating a hellburn but I know it has something to do with extremely low pressures being VERY sensitive to temperature change (which I think is due to some wonky floating point math), so you can spike it up to like "core temperature of the sun" levels.

Ciaphas posted:

IIRC, temperature differential is what creates electricity in the generator, so the colder you can get the cold loop and the hotter you can get the hot loop the more megaterayottawatts you can get to the station.

Yeah it's purely difference in temperature. Since there's a lower limit to how cold something can get, it's generally more productive to focus on making the hot loop hotter than the cold loop colder.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

My guess is they managed to extract the sodium from the chips, and then the rest is just chemistry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODf_sPexS2Q

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like how the "cold" loop is still several quintillion degrees hot, but the engine is still producing so much energy the math breaks, because the hot loop is a few orders of magnitude hotter anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malpais Legate posted:

It's not even a genetics thing. Stable mutagen and blood in an injection can confer the blood donor's appearance, and higher doses can change their name permanently.

I did this once as Iggy Azalea, by flashing people and applying mutagen patches. I converted like a dozen people until they formed a mob of Azaleas and lynched me, their original.

I also used this gimmick to convince a crew that I, a simple traitor, was a dangerous changeling. Stable mutagen and identity theft are honestly my favorite parts of this game.

You should try this again, but instead join the lynch mob and convince them that one of the people you converted is actually the original.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, get some stable mutagen and turn yourself into another player. Then rob them of their ID stuff and spend the round convincing people you're the real one.

I swear I've seen this as a delinquent objective before.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There exist perfectly safe plans for nuclear reactors. I fully expect that the SS13 reactor would involve multiple Demon Cores and a monkey with a screwdriver.

SS13 station design is basically "how can I make this dangerous?"

The entire thing exists as basically a series of ways for people to meet their unfortunate demise, accidental or otherwise.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah this is a game where one of the first things most players experience is accidentally beating themselves to unconsciousness with their own shoes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

There was a quote upthread a ways where basically, the whole station is designed around the idea of "what is X was made ludicrously dangerous?" I actually have to hand it to the coders, for the most part, they manage to reliably find a balance with nearly all tasks, where if you wanna just get it done and gently caress off elsewhere, you totally can, but if you wanna sperg out and do some ridiculous poo poo, you can also do that.

Like, you can totally set up the engine and then go gently caress with learning to hotwire the station as an engineer. Or you can totally learn to crank the engine up to silly levels, to the point where entire sections of the station are rendered instantly lethal to life while you sit there with fire resistance, laughing about how you blue-shifted the engine and produced more power than the center of the universe.

You can apply that thinking to just about anything in this game. You always have the option to either (ignore it entirely OR do a bare minimum slap-job so you can gently caress off elsewhere) OR (go completely balls to the wall with it and push it to comedy levels)

I think this is why people have found SS13 so difficult to remake. It's not really any one system that makes it so much as it is a whole bunch of extremely deep systems that you can optionally engage with.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Isaac posted:

Pretending you are a doctor is a timeless method of murdering people

It’s often impossible to tell the difference between a surgeon who is trying to kill you and one who is genuinely trying to save you but doesn’t know how to use the interface very well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Medical needs a spray bottle of something that knocks you out fast. Both for immediate use on trauma cases, and for de-escalating confrontations with idiots. Bonus points since it'll be abusable by anyone with the antag role.

The medical director gets a tranq rifle, right?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The main non-lag related argument I've heard against atmos is basically that it's not interesting. It exists purely as a thing that antagonists can gently caress with. A lot of the systems in the game have plenty of antag-fuckery-related functionality, but also tend to have some legitimate use so normal crew can find something fun to do with it too. Atmos is just like... if air is being pumped around the station, that's the job done. You can't really make it pump around "better".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

I can packet-hack doors, but is there an actual tutorial on going at it with a full toolbelt and not electrifying it? FFS, I have better luck with tearing down reinforced walls than door hacking. Alternatively is there a way to add the packet sniffer/sender to my PDA if I don't come default with it?

Just wear insulated gloves.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Janitor is ace because you can just go around and no one really wonders why you're there. The only downside is people robusting you for your boots but I think newer maps have more of them.

Yeah the best jobs for newbies are the ones that are low responsibility but not totally directionless. Like people have 0 expectations for assistants so you can really do whatever you want, but the problem is you have to figure out what you want to do in the first place. Stuff like janitor or bartender/chef or botanist are jobs where it doesn't really matter if you do your job or not, but because you have a job, it gives you an idea of what you should be doing and helps focus you on playing around with a specific thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dmboogie posted:

security being too lenient is always better than security being too harsh, imo; unless you’ve got like a silent c-saber rampager that’s ruining everything

Yeah I think the problem a lot of people have with sec is when you get the tryhards who are like, trying to play to "win". Like oh wow you caught a guy with traitor equipment and so decided to beat him to death because he's obviously a traitor and then nothing interesting happens all round because he WAS the traitor and didn't even get to do anything.