Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I wish there was a way to become HoS if there isn’t one when the round starts. Unless I’m missing something, there’s no other way to unlock the goodies in the Armory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dabir posted:

The AI can hack in to the doors.

You can't get the crates open though, I believe.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I was perusing the wiki trying to learn new jobs and fell face-first into a portal to the hellfuck dimension.

What black-eyed monster created this horrifying system?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mimesweeper posted:

I always wanted to make the electrical power as realistic as other systems in the game but holy poo poo it's a lot more work than I expected going in. I think it'll probably just stay how it is.

I've played half-a-dozen rounds as Engineer and still don't really understand how the TEG works.

Saw my first hellburn a second ago. Now I have even further questions.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

rndmnmbr posted:

Hellburn: if you mix exactly this ratio of plasma and oxygen, delete exactly these spots of flooring, fix exactly these broken pipes, and the RNG and/or Satan himself smiles upon you, the PTL suddenly has a use. (And you can cause people in Escape to spontaneously combust, which may be the actual feature of hellburning)

e. I've never hellburned myself, but I can get decent power out of char and inadvisable gas mixes in the hot loop. Two of plasma, one of oxygen, max pressure and kill the purge valve, and cackle madly seems to be my working recipe. But since I do it at the end of the round because power is failing and no one else has set up the engine, I have yet to discover if this will, in fact, burn down everything.

I can confirm that this will, in fact, burn down everything. It appears the superheated oxygen will expand, burst the pipes, and become as unto a dragon.

Source: I am currently on fire

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
As the AI, how do you communicate on different radio frequencies like Security, etc.? Even directly copying the Say commands on the wiki didn’t work.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tibbeh posted:

The hotkey Y should let you pick which frequency to say something on

It does for normal players, but it doesn't work at all for the AI.

There's a "Toggle Internal Radio" command under the "AI Commands" tab, but I haven't gotten it to work. Best I can do is turn the general radio on/off, or the machine radio on/off. Sometimes you want to let Security know where the Changeling is without letting the Changeling know. Or hound Engineering about putting out the fire in the engine room without bothering the rest of the station.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Actually getting the engine going isn't too hard. Getting enough power to use the PTL is hurting my brain, though. Can you even generate enough power to use it without a hellburn?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mimesweeper posted:

pretty much this, yeah

Why didn't they just...patch out hellburns? They're silly as hell. I respect the ingenuity involved in making it work, but you could have a system that doesn't rely on exploiting the game's code.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I can respect that too, but a nuclear reactor could also lead to amusing shenanigans without making you dive for a wiki. Or you could make hellburns by mixing various gases instead, which I gather was originally the point of Plasma Research? Does anyone try mixing gases for non-bomb-related purposes?

There's worse things than convoluted silliness for sure. Oshan's geothermal plants are simple and also pretty boring.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Shinmera posted:

It's not like getting the engine to a point where it can supply the station is difficult or requires the wiki.

Hahahaha.

I see Engineers failing every round at the moment.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this is why people have found SS13 so difficult to remake. It's not really any one system that makes it so much as it is a whole bunch of extremely deep systems that you can optionally engage with.

Space Alert does a good job of boiling the concept down.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It’s often impossible to tell the difference between a surgeon who is trying to kill you and one who is genuinely trying to save you but doesn’t know how to use the interface very well.

Meanwhile I keep getting impatient patients who demand I perform surgery NOW instead of waiting for the morphine to kick in. You know this is gonna hurt, right?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there any way to open card-locked crates besides an EMAG?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

redneck nazgul posted:

There's already a horribly complicated mess of a system that has limited beneficial usage but can be used by an antagonist to kill the entire station.

It's Pathology, and I say this as a dedicated Pathology nerd who has ruined several rounds with bee sneezing plasma farts.

See, I feel like there's an easy solution there: let Pathologists ship cures and vaccines off-station for cash.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Changeling seems stupid easy. I was a chemist, so I was prepared to use all kinds of chems to aid my foul designs, but...it turns out that “hey, can I have a quick word with you in private?” is all you really need. I had 13 or so kills, and that was definitely not playing optimally—for instance, I mistakenly thought ‘Lings were immune to radiation and died while trying to secure a “free” kill. Luckily, my headspider bailed me out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Pathology is duuuuuumb.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

frodnonnag posted:

Steal/trade/loot a pair of insulated gloves.
Find an out of the way door and pry open the panel, snip the lines until you find which one drops the bolts and note it. Go to the door you want and cut all lines but that one, prybar it open.

Alternatively: to fix the door you bolted, mend all wires and pulse the one you cut that dropped them.

Hardmode: pulsing lines will tell you what each does via subtle hints, you can probably pulse the right combo to let you in, electrify trap or disable the id scan or poo poo, but it's just easier to full disable and pry, since you need gloves to do that anyway.

Better method: pulse the door wires until you see the test light go off. You now have a couple (10?) seconds to crowbar the door open, step through, and crowbar it back in place with no-one the wiser.

dylguy90 posted:

You're a funny guy, I like you, I'll be sure to infect you last

Just gives me more time to call up the CDC and invalidate all that effort.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

dylguy90 posted:

My friend, do you have any idea what trying to treat a plague that mutates every other time it hops in a 50+ pop round is like

No, because I've never actually seen anyone seriously engage with pathology.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

dylguy90 posted:

Really? It's not hard, the wiki is accurate. You should give it a try if you're curious.

The problem isn't that it's hard, it's that the process is really tedious and random. First you roll the gacha for pathogens until you run out of cash. Then you start randomly guessing. If you don't contaminate your petri dishes, you'll get what you want eventually. Assuming the shuttle doesn't arrive first

I also don't like how it is so utterly separated from the rest of the station. If you're in Pathology, you're either a traitor in there looking to make Space AIDS, someone looking to learn how to make Space AIDS for educational purposes, or hiding from the law. I think I would make curing pathogens the focus of Pathology for non-traitors. Cure the pathogens present in the lab, ship out the cures for cash. Maybe even have random event pathogens to help make Pathology a valuable part of Medbay instead of its own little corner in the middle of nowhere.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I've been told the beneficial symptoms are pretty poo poo, though. Explains why I've never seen them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pleads posted:

Quick question: Is there a way for HoP to grant superuser access for the Guardbuddies without just giving that person RD access? Had it come up, couldn't figure it out, at the time passed it off as corporate bureaucracy.

You need a DWAINE terminal. Have them login with their card, enter the su command, then enter a card with RD or Captain access to approve the new superuser.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The detective is so great. It’s a shame people don’t use forensics more, because you can really ruin a traitors’ day with it. If you get a sample of their blood, they can’t run or hide.

Also, you get *monologue and *twirl, the most powerful emotes imaginable.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I thought you were getting off remarkably free, considering you were literally stealing poo poo in plain sight in front of everyone. The NanoMed pissed me off because I had done a masterful job of sneaking in to steal the lesser-used one in Surgery, and right as I was about to make the theft, Med started freaking out.

Security in general was asleep that round. I positively identified all of the other spies early in the round because they clearly stole poo poo while I was looking. My plan was to loiter near Security and when an arrest was made, I would Detomatrix their PDA and watch Security flip out and kill them thinking it was an escape attempt. But lo, Security bagged exactly zero of them despite my repeated pleas to "just loving search them, I know I saw him pick up a gun!" :nyoron:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm so mad I walked into that trap. The mechanic telegraphed his treachery really far in advance by sealing the doors, so I was expecting it...and then I accidentally walked into the teleporter anyway. :sigh:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DarkDobe posted:

How does that work?

I've never seen such a trap but I've also never seen teleporters/teleporter beacons placed on anything but floor tiles.

He placed a teleporter pad on both sides of an airbridge and then welded/dropped the bolts on all the doors. People would run up, realize the doors were sealed, and run into the teleporter expecting it would take them to the other side. And for a while, it did. Which helps build trust that can later be exploited.

Then he built the trap out in space. Just three tiles, walls to seal them in, a teleporter pad, and graviton traps that fling anyone who walks on them into a crusher.

After he built his crusher trap out in space, he rerouted the teleporters to lead to his trap...one-way. So people would walk into the teleporters and get insta-mulched.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zoig posted:

So, played a round as scientist, mostly to get a look at chemistry stuff, and then spent half the round slowing figuring out how to make luminol, and succeeding. After that, I walked out of chem, armed with a bottle of luminol, and then promptly got caught in a explosion.

After a man dragged me to safety, managed to put a o2 mask on me and maybe the can for it, i wandered around a bit trying to figure out why I could not pick up the o2 tank i had had in my backpack and then dropped by slipping on a banana peel. A nice robot patched me up, and the upper part of the of the station was being overrun with kudzu, which I would later learn at the end of the game was the product of a traitor botanist. Eventually, the shuttle got called, I actually managed to find it, but was shut out due a fire door that I had no idea how to open. I would spend the last 2 minutes slowly going mad for reasons I'm still not quite sure about, though maybe the lack of oxygen on the way to the shuttle was why.

In any case, it seems clear that its going to take me months to understand anything on more than a very basic level, and that I should try playing captain more and getting in peoples work to try and learn stuff. Or get killed for being nosy, but that sounds like fun too.

A combination of playing, tutoring, and reading the wiki can let you pick things up super fast. My recommendations for new players:

First, play Miner to learn the controls. Miners are useful, hardy, highly appreciated if they actually deliver ore, but non-essential, so no one will miss you if they disappear for the whole round (or die in space). You'll learn how to move around, how to use the hand system, how to set internals and navigate in space--all useful things. The downside is that if you do die miserably in space, you probably won't be revived. Try to get a tracking implant from Research/Security and scream your impending death over the radio, so someone can drag your frozen corpse back to be cloned. While you're dead, try playing as a Ghost Drone to learn how to repair/construct things. Again, ghost drones are very useful but non-essential. People will ignore you, and you are obligated by the rules to ignore them back.

After you have basic controls and concepts down, go Staff Assistant and bug the Captain or HoP for access to whatever department you want to learn. You won't take up a job slot this way, and people will cut you a lot of slack if your ID badge says "Med Student" instead of "Doctor". Make sure to also request a jumpsuit that matches whatever department you're joining, or you'll be seen as just another Grey Menace. Alternatively, if you just want to screw around, the various Civilian jobs are low-responsibility and very non-essential. You can pretty much do whatever the hell you want, so try getting mixed up in other peoples' bullshit. You can go create a cargo cult in Cargo, get shitfaced in the bar and pick fistfights with Security, experiment with making the Omega Weed in Botany, or plumb the profane depths of the Loafer and Deep Fryers...the possibilities are endless.

Once you're comfortable in your skin, turn on the Antagonist roles. Now you are a true spessman.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

counterfeitsaint posted:

When people say you have to ask the Quartermaster for a thing or get the HoP/Captain to grant you some clearance or something, does that mean you have to go physically find them and ask or is it normally done on the radio?

One of the best ways to get their attention is to send them a PDA message, since it gives them a BEEP BEEP alert. This is also a good way to ensure Cargo actually orders your poo poo.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Larry Parrish posted:

i dont like the choose captain or hop advice, because sometimes people get VERY upset if you dare intrude on their sanctum. like I once had a geneticist try to stick me with a blindness needle because I wasnt actually a geneticist but i was hanging out there for a while to give myself comic sans. there was only the one geneticist so like. Who cares right?

Anyway that guy sucked. I guess you can always flash disposal people who are jerks for no reason, or issue them a fine or something

This is why you should always default to "bomb genetics" if you don't know what to do with your traitor rounds.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ChaseSP posted:

You used to be able to harmbaton stun people. It was changed to gently caress over bad sec officers yes.

It’s a really dumb thing that just fucks over new players.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

rndmnmbr posted:

Two successful mining rounds.

(Hint: avoid the cerenkite, plasmastone, and koshmarite ores until you fab some industrial space armor. Also ask Medical/Cargo for some toxins first aid kits before you start mining.)

You can also have cargo fab you a Medibot.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just ask chem to whip you up a lifetimes’ supply. It’s really easy to make.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can the Wifi Component from MechComp send messages to players? I was trying to link a trip wire to a Wifi Component as a sort of silent alarm. The Wifi Comp was sending out the signals just fine according to my Packet Sniffer, but they weren't actually reaching anyone. Tried sending the message as a text message to PDAs and as a radio signal over various frequencies, but it never arrived.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Space Alert captures the "Oh god everything is awful" feeling of late-round SS13.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Chemistry, Mechanics, and DWAINE all have the exact same problem--It's hard to puzzle out your own cool, unique "thing", but very easy for someone else to copy it and run it into the ground.

Thinking specifically of that one really annoying power-switcher-offer mechcomp setup, where you use a Powernet component to rapidly send lights=off&enviro=off commands via DWAINE to all the APCs. The only counterplay is to beat the mechanics to death as soon as you notice APCs being tampered with (without any fingerprints on them). You can set that thing up anywhere with a data terminal.

Now they're talking about raising a similar barrier to entry for refactoring the AI laws, because god forbid you just hit a button to make a thing happen. If you aren't furiously paging back and forth between BYOND and an unlisted wiki page, are you really even playing?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 22, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There was a preview of the new map on Goon2 today and it looks insanely cool.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a known bug with the menus? I've found that sometimes (usually when hacking), menus will start flashing between normal and all-white, and I'm genuinely unsure if it's a bug, or a mechanic I'm unaware of.

Bug with the unfinished new chui menus. Turn them off under the interface tab.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Speaking of shitsec, I applied over at goonstation for HoS. So if there is anyone here who was wronged by Wilt Rangdow, now is your time to get revengeance.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

frodnonnag posted:

See this wall of text? It's full of bullshit and terrible opinions. Summary execution is garbage and bad.

You are the foil to the antag's shenanigans.

No. It’s not secs job be the Fun Police, the police who are fun. Its not their responsibility to make the round entertaining, no more than its the Engineers’ or Scientist’ job. It’s not their job to be the fun police, deciding which antagonist is worth getting shut down and which get a slap on their wrist. If Security is so integral to the fun of the round, that’s a bug in the system. I’m here to play “Find the Criminal”, not serve as the Dungeon Master in your D&D campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zamujasa posted:

There's already a low chance to randomly "yeet" things when you throw them. That'd be a little more difficult because it's not possible to know if the yeeted one is actually going into space.

I love that throwing the Detectives gun has a chance for it to randomly go off.