Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
SS13 is a good game, although it does have its issues. The interface is a pain to get used to, it's full of bugs, and the station is sometimes hilariously apathetic about the all-consuming jello monster that's taking over the station. On the other hand, you have crazy emergent gameplay and poo poo that you just wouldn't get from something not held together with duct tape and prayers. Let me tell you about jugglemancy, since this thread is looking thin on the stories front.

Some time ago, it was decided that clowns should have the ability to juggle. They could do this using the *twirl emote, which (I think, I am not coder) added a thing they were holding to some pocket space and gave them a juggling effect. When the clown fell over they dropped the things they were juggling. The problem was that they could also catch things thrown at them and add them to their juggle dimension. This included human beings, which the clown did not drop when they ceased juggling. The first few rounds after this was discovered, people were flinging themselves at clowns and becoming eternally trapped inside the clown (which had no air, so anyone without internals quickly suffocated). I think the only way to release the trapped people was to gib the clown, but I wasn't there for most of it so my memory's a bit hazy (maybe that didn't work when it was supposed to? idk). It was quickly patched out, but there's a commemorative plaque somewhere on the station for the brave souls who first discovered the dark secrets of jugglemancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

You only need to kill the wraith twice now to get rid of it for good. Put salt under tables or on walls where people can't muck it up accidentally and/or it's hard to see.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Baleful Polymorph is a great spell. Not as cruel as Clown's Revenge but still funny as hell.

There's a whole bunch of people who would disagree with you on that, given that cluwning is now curable and critters can die super easily and can't be cloned or borged. Personally I think that people think anything is meaner than cluwning means that being a cluwne isn't terrible enough.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Is the strength of the zipgun explosion dependent on the ammo used? If not it should be. I want to see someone gib themselves because they tried loading a grenade into one of those things.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

I like roboticist, but the material reclaimers are borked right now so you can't replenish the fabricators without help from mining. And lol nobody ever does mining.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Asked about this in the private server thread, but I'll ask here too - is there any way to get the steel from steel sheets into the fabricators? They can't be entered directly, and I also can't put them into material processors, but I swear one or both of those worked at various times in the past.

Material processors/reclaimers are hosed right now. You can put it on the ground and click-drag it to the thing and it will work for some reason but you can't hand load it. Also you get like 10 bars per sheet which is absurd. Too bad it doesn't work with wires at all anymore, which means that robotics is even more starved for conductive stuff than usual.

Re: Enginechat, I have been in a couple of rounds where someone got the engine so hot it caused an overflow error and created a stationwide freezing vacuum. Not sure how the gently caress they managed that, I can barely break a PW on my best days.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

Can you make yourself piss holy water?

I haven't played in months but now I want this to be a feature of the chaplain.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Nakar posted:

The reason they do this is because if they don't some shithead is going to walk in and upload "LOL U HAEV 2 QUAK LEIK A DUK ALWAYS" or "KILL URSELF" and immediately end all possibility of your round being any fun at all. If people weren't constantly doing this bullshit round after round -- it's usually the same person and their laws are never funny or clever or interesting and they're never, ever antagonists -- maybe the AI wouldn't be so jumpy.

The fault is entirely 1000% on the non-AI players for treating AI players like poo poo and forcing them to get gamey and defensive until they're yelled at by admins.

My absolute most hated laws to get as AI are ones that prevent me from talking. It rarely happens but it absolutely sucks when someone uploads e.g. "Don't communicate with the crew in any way shape or form" before trying to debrain you, failing and just leaving you like that. I think I was stuck not being able to do much for about half an hour until a latejoin wizard showed up and hey they're not crew I can talk to them yay. The most recent time it was just something along the lines of "don't talk, this don't hint at or state this law yadda yadda" so I could at least PDA but still.

Be nice to your AIs, folks :(

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

xergm posted:

I once drove another player to a murderous rampage just by turning off the lights.
I made it my goal to unlock APCs, turn off the lighting breaker, and relock them.

Although harmless, dark hallways apparently stir great anger.

One round I was AI and kept getting blamed for some botanist constantly flipping the light switches. Someone actually ahelped me for that. People get real mad about lights.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

A thing has appeared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVv4oyA480

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Coming soon!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Vengarr posted:

It does for normal players, but it doesn't work at all for the AI.

There's a "Toggle Internal Radio" command under the "AI Commands" tab, but I haven't gotten it to work. Best I can do is turn the general radio on/off, or the machine radio on/off. Sometimes you want to let Security know where the Changeling is without letting the Changeling know. Or hound Engineering about putting out the fire in the engine room without bothering the rest of the station.

For AI it's :3x, where x is the channel you want to talk on, so to say on only the sec channel that there's a changeling eating someone, it'd be ":3g hey there's a changeling eating someone". Effectively AI radio 3 is a headset with all the different department frequencies on it.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Yesterday I attended a wedding for a clownspider and a miner who immediately afterward went to QM and held some other clownspider eggs for ransom so she’d give him her money.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Most players on goonstation are more than willing to help you learn the ropes if you ask them. They may also murder you afterwards but that can be entertaining too.

Also use mentorhelp.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

https://hackmd.io/@ZeWaka/opensource

:eyepop:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Heck, there’s a button to turn all the walls on the station into the disposals crushers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Goonstation's distanced itself somewhat from the actual forums but is still plenty active. Note that they did rename the servers recently so the links in the OP aren't accurate anymore (servers 1 and 2 are regular, 3 and 4 are RP).