Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

Put morphine in a sleepy pen for simple fun as a doctor. Drag them into surgery, cut their butt off and throw them out.

Repeat until you are lynched.

Not sure you even need the sleepy pen for this. Just hand any random staff assistant a bottle of morphine and a syringe and the last thing you will hear them say before they get knocked out is them asking for seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Holy hell, I was wondering why there were five servers up when I checked the goon hub. Normally I find high-pop rounds a little too chaotic for my tastes but if it ever gets that high again I need to check it out because it just sounds like utter insanity.

Playing sec with that many greyshirts running around must be impossible, the one time where I feel bad for them.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I cannot believe how much I am in love with these dumb landline phones. Someone got stabbed horribly in the bar and bled eveywhere? Call security. The APCs in the bar are losing charge? Call security to make a complaint, be too drunk to actually get a sentence out because the moment my character does a random step I move too far away from the phone. I wish more departments had phones, who am I supposed to call when the barkeep is blind and cannot work anymore? Maybe I should call up security for that complaint, bet those guys are bored anyhow.

Also, I think I found a bug with the phones. Is there a place I should report that to? (Other than calling up security :v:)

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Actually implement a token gnelf that takes away tokens from people who got too many at roundstart, then make them spawn hidden on the station with a crew-wide announcement that whoever gets the killing blow recieves the tokens it stole. Make it the most annoying fucker to chase down and kill ever, teleporting around, health regen, etc so that the entire crew is busy constantly going on back and forth, breaking into departments, setting poo poo on fire and just causing utter chaos until someone finally emerges victorious.

Then they become the token gnelf and it all begins anew.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

coldpudding posted:

how about this for a radio host traitor item.

The syndicate record press, crush crew members into exciting new playable records(record may take some time to press), totally not just a modified Stomper Unit stolen from oshan,

It let's the killed player write one message upon death that will be played everytime the record is used. See how many versions of "Traitor McJerk is a traitor!" and "Oh god, the pain!" you can collect and loudly relay to the uncaring crew!

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Stationeers seems like the one that has the most potential to become Space Station 13 3D, the problem is just that updates have gotten pretty slow. Pretty sure they have been talking about "a big update coming soon" for quite a while now. That said, I'd gladly be proven wrong, I've enjoyed even just messing with the building systems and such that exist right now.

People also mentioned Unfortunate Spacemen, that game and another one that might've been mentioned a long while ago, Barotrauma, are probably the closest we are feasibly gonna get: Games that have the same general idea of "Most players work towards a goal together, things can go wrong and there might be antagonists" but don't really have the same amount of features as SS13 does. And to some degree I wonder if the direction people should take shouldn't be to just recreate Space Station 13 But Without Byond, but rather to create something that still has the same general spirit but also does something unique of it's own.

All that said, if any game that's trying to be a spiritual successor doesn't have a fart button they have already failed on a fundamental level :colbert:

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Every round one player starts with a note embedded in their body which tells one of the ~*Super Secret Chems*~. It has to be surgically removed, the player does not know they have a note in their body and the only way the chemists can find that person is via a list of 10 crewmembers they get shown at the start of the round, one of which actually has the note.

There is a 0.1% chance that instead of a note there is a special microbomb that goes off the second it gets removed.

Edit: maybe a little late, but I remember playing some Barotrauma with a couple friends and I agree that it is pretty fun but holy hell, if anything goes wrong it can be almost impossible to recover from. Don't think we ever actually finished a mission because most runs we would run into something big and nasty that would end up ripping holes into the submarine while we frantically try and bring enough systems online to fight back (and fail). Really did not help that it's not really obvious how you get the reactor running when it is submerged, so for most of the run that was basically a failure state :v:

Greader fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 22, 2019

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Find a bible and place it on the ground, then lie down on it and leave. Be happy in the knowledge you might actually be gaining a body count while not even logged in at all.

Actually, would it be possible to put one of those destination stickers for belt hell on a locker, get yourself to crit and then ship yourself to some department while dying in that locker, hoping by the time you arrive you are dead and found by a crewmember who is gonna be very disturbed? Sounds like that could be a fun way to spice up a round.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Since we are talking about other stations and engines, I remember testing out that Baystation one like years back (group of friends wanted to try the game but were too afraid to deal with goons, so I downloaded the server they provided) and it had a weird supermatter or whatever engine. I forgot some of the details but it was some weird crystal that emitted radiation that powered recievers for energy. The gimmick was that it emitted plasma as it was active and the more plasma is in the atmosphere the less it works, so you had to keep the vents active if you wanted a stable but boring energy source.

If you wanted to have some fun, adding oxygen to the atmosphere would greatly increase the amount of power you would get. Which meant you had to not only keep supplying the oxygen, but also make sure the plasma gets filtered out as quick as possible since the crystal would heat up to the point where it could otherwise ignite. And that was bad, not only because of the fire itself but also because if the crystal gets too hot, it basically nukes the entirety of the engineering department as well as irradiating the gently caress out of everyone else on station. Think there was a launcher to get rid of the thing if it is about to go critical but good luck hitting it in time once the fire starts. :v:

The bit of messing around I did with it was kinda fun. Probs not gonna have enough things to mess around with long term though.

(And sadly my group only got a few games in way back and nothing after. Got one of them to give goonstation a shot but sadly that didn't last)

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I have no idea how that would even be tracked to begin with, but the person setting up the engine and hellburn specifically should give a big efficency bonus. Gotta be willing to sacrifice yourself in order to get that number up higher

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Dumb idea: Once a player accumulates a certain amount of direct deaths they gain some sort of debilitating effect as they slip into insanity from all the deaths they cause. Could start with stuff like random cackling/bursting into laughter and slowly turn into stuff that actually effect gameplay. Maybe have certain roles and antagonists be immune to it, so that wizards won't go insane from doing their job or a busy sec having to deal with nuke-ops won't go crazy from defending the station, but a traitor who got sent in to steal the captain's hat and arrange an unfortunate accident to the CE might become more than a little unhinged if they decide to depopulate an entire space station on their own (and in turn, have a harder time doing so as they continue).

Guess this would also encourage using more indirect ways of killing people, depending on how it is/can be implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Really dumb thought that probably either doesn't work or is pretty hard to properly implement: One idea I had is that on top of playing whatever notes you wanna plink on, you can have a text-field that accepts whatever form of input in textform would let a program turn it into music using that instrument. The idea being that if a player has figured out how to play yakety sax or whatever with the system they can just copy and paste it in there, hit play and there it goes. And it might fix the server lag issue by having the server not send each note one by one, but by actually just sending the entire text file to each nearby player and converting it on their end so it plays the music as intended. For the sake of not having people stuck with 10 hour long cacophonys of someone just pasting the John Galt speech into the interpreter there might have to be a size limit or something though