Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
OCC Thread

"We're about to make the jump to hyper space", a yellow twi'lek shouts from behind one of the two pilots chair before talking in a near whisper, "Hold on to your seats, boys, this is uncharted waters."

With a sudden lurch, the stars begin to bleed into lines until you can see a blue vortex stretch before you: you're in hyperspace. Almost as quickly as you enter, a panel on the wall begins to flash red.

"We got Imperial signatures! Drop out!", commands a Mon Calamari from his command chair. He is Admiral Rotero, leader of this operation.

"Leaving hyperspace," shouts back a human from the other pilot seat. He would be considered Asian by our standards.

With another lurk, the view from the command center returns to normal and a large, green planet is in view. No ships, however, are orbiting form space. No noticeable imperial presence whatsoever. Without a second's pause, the Mon Calamari starts up, "If there are Imperials ships here, they must have crashed. Contact the away team!"

It is then when all of you, wherever you are, here Vice Admiral Sojun, the Bothan second-in-command of this operation, call your names over the loudspeakers, requesting your presence on the bridge.

Everyone, tell me what you were doing and how you responded to the call.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Tanith Ral - Docking Bay

Starship maintenance is never glorious. A casual observer would see a pair of legs standing on the ground, torsos buried in a mess of mechanics, electronics, and assorted A-wing parts as Tanith Ral argues with a Duros technician "aiding" in modifications to The Blue Bucket. "Look, when I said I wanted the deflector coupler hotwired to the engine capacitors, that's exactly what I-" CLUNK-thud "-mrrf! T-that was my foot. And my head."
While the call may have been sudden, the drop of a hydrospanner on Tanith Ral's foot was a bit more of an annoyance. "Look, I'll take care of it myself - just keep it in one piece, ok?" Rubbing his head as he straightens out his jacket, the pilot begins a brisk limp/walk toward the bridge as the team begins to assemble.

quote:

Tanith Ral, the Former Imperial Ace
Male, with Hard Features and a Professional demanor, wearing Uniform clothing

Stats
+2 Canny
+1 Cool
0 Deep
0 Rugged
-1 Suave

Vitality
Wounds
Debilities
Experience

Moves
Devil In The Cockpit: When piloting a vehicle in a high stress situation, roll with
Canny. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. Spend your hold, 1-for-1, to do one of the following:
Ignore all harm from an incoming attack
Pull off a death-defying stunt
Quickly close the gap between yourself and a target
Pull someone’s rear end out of the fire
On a miss, hold 1 anyways but something goes terribly wrong before this is all over.

Jacked-Up Senses: When you are piloting a vehicle and Trust Your Feelings, you may roll with Canny instead of Deep.

Drama Moves
When you die, if you’re piloting a vehicle, destroy the vehicle and deal 4-harm ap to
a target you choose. If you’re not piloting a vehicle, or for any remaining ships you own,
choose one character and give your ship(s) to that character.
They gain +1 to all piloting rolls made in those ships.

When you open up to someone, ask them a question about your relationship; they must answer it honestly.

Gear
2-Cred
"The Blue Bucket" Custom A-Wing Starfighter (3-harm, tiny, +hyperdrive)
Heavy blaster pistol (3-harm close reload loud energy)

Bonds
I think Nyala Crashot is a half-decent pilot. With my help, they can become a great one.
Niita Harg damaged my starship and I still haven’t forgiven them for it.
I don’t know why, but "Spice" unsettles me.
I’ve been through thick and thin with Artemis Nova; I trust them.
I love exchanging jokes with Zhayna Chwor.

When you do any of the following, mark experience:
Pilot a vehicle into or out of danger
Brag to someone about one of your ships or your own capabilities
Take a stupid risk
Express genuine concern for someone you consider a shipmate or squad mate

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 4, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hyperspace.

Breathe out.

It's an old pilot's trick to clear the ears during sudden pressure changes - a trick that persisted into space even when it lost its effectiveness, one that Artemis still hold on to. She's sitting in the ready room, watching the fleet's movement. The announcement of signatures finds Artemis already half out of her seat. She half-zips her uniform jacket and tugs down the bottom, moving smartly into the hall. One might think she'd be more comfortable in a full dress uniform, something more starched to go with her bearing - head up, eyes front, back straight as she strides assuredly to the bridge.

"Sir!" she says, coming to attention and saluting the Admiral.

quote:

Name: Artemis Nova
Playbook: The Officer
Look: Female, Hard Features, Uniform Clothing
Demeanor: Calculating

Stats: Canny 1, Cool -1, Deep -1, Rugged 0, Suave 1

Gear:
 2 cred
 A Capital Ship
 Hold-out Blaster (2-harm close reload loud energy concealable)

Capital Ship
Frigate (1-armour, 4-harm, medium)
A crew of 30-50
A squad of 10 or so marines to command (2-harm squad, 1-armour, small, +unruly)
Surplus
 Income for your crew and ship maintenance (Surplus: +1-cred)
 Your command crew includes skilled advisors who are not afraid to speak their mind when asked (Surplus: +insight)
Wants
 Your ship and crew belong to a military hierarchy (want: +obligation)
 Your crew have everyday worries and concerns (want: +anxiety)
 You and your crew are newly assigned together (want: +judgement)
Addons:
 Your ship includes a squadron of Starfighters and their pilots (+1 harm)

Moves
Leadership
When your squad fights for you, roll with Suave. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. Over the course of battle, spend your hold 1 for 1 to make your squad:
 Make a hard advance
 Stand strong against a hard advance
 Make an organized retreat
 Show mercy to their defeated enemies
 Fight and die to the last
On a miss, your squad turns on you, tries to hand you over to your enemy, panics/flees, or surrenders.

Salary
If your ship and crew are functional and your rank held, at the beginning of the session, roll with Canny. On a 10+, you have surplus at hand and available for the needs of the session. On a 7–9, you have surplus, but choose 1 want. On a miss, or if your ship or crew is disabled, your ship and crew is in want. The precise values of your surplus and want depend on your ship and crew options chosen. When surplus lists cred, like 1-cred or 2-cred, that’s your personal share.

Drama Moves
When you die, choose a character and give them 2 hold. They may spend this hold to have your old ship and crew, or the remnants thereof, on hand and ready for action, with our without any clear explanation why.

When you open up to someone, ask them what they admire or despise about you. If you acknowledge and agree with them, you both mark experience. If you refuse to acknowledge or disagree with them, you mark experience.

Experience
 Give an order to your crew
 Tell a war story
 Put yourself or people under your command in danger
 Chastise someone in front of others

Bonds
Fill in as many as you like with at least one per other player’s characters:
Zhayna Chwor has served under my command before.
 I owe my life toNyala Crashot, a debt I wish to repay soon.
Tanith Ral is my second in command.
 I find the ways of _______________ strange and they concern me.
 _______________ and I have a sordid history that is best left behind us.
 I’m starting to gain a great deal of respect for Niita Harg.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 4, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Chwor enters just after Artemis, making a stark contrast with the other woman. She has none of the ex-Imperial's spit and polish. Echo Squad never updated from barely uniform brown uniform the Alliance used at the beginning of the war, and it's seen a lot of hard use since then. She also never picked up the ritual and discipline that's gradually seeped into the New Republic military.

Chwor is, in short, one of the old breed, one of the rag-tag band of freedom fighters who made themselves a thorn in the Empire's side for years before they saw any chance of victory. Still, there's an air of hard won competence and experience about her. Chwor knows her job, and just doesn't care about the rest.

She nods to the other officers as she joins them, though she doesn't look directly at Artemis. Chwor leans over the situation board, gripping the edge with her hands. "What are we dealing with this time?"

quote:

Name: Zhayna Chwor
Playbook: The Trooper
Look: Female, Hard Features, Uniform Clothing
Demeanor: Intense

Stats: Canny-1, Cool+2, Deep=0, Rugged+2, Suave-1

Gear
1-cred
Blaster rifle (3-harm close loud autofire energy)
Grenade tube (4-harm close area reload messy)
Many knives (2-harm hand infinite)
2-armor (+clumsy)

Moves

Battlefield Instincts: In combat, when you Check Out The Scene, roll with Rugged instead of Canny.

Squad Commander: You get a small squad (2-harm 1-armour, small, +unruly). When your squad fights for you, roll with Rugged. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. Over the course of battle, spend your hold 1 for 1 to make your squad:
 Make a hard advance
 Stand strong against a hard advance
 Make an organized retreat
 Show mercy to their defeated enemies
 Fight and die to the last
On a miss, your squad turns on you, tries to hand you over to your enemy, panics/flees,
or surrenders to your enemy, MC’s choice.

Drama Moves

When you die, your friends and comrades will hold you a warrior’s funeral, all characters who attend mark experience and you choose which of them receives your weapons and armour.

When you open up to someone, you take +1 forward. At your option, they take +1 forward too.

Experience
 Get into a fight
 Tell a war story
 Show protectiveness for someone
 Talk about your code of honour

Bonds
 I sometimes get the feeling Niita Harg doesn’t take me seriously.
Tanith Ral lives by a different code than I do; I’m certain we will clash soon.
 I’ve served under Artemis Nova in the past and disobeyed one of their orders.
 I’ve always found Nyala Crashot to be attractive but have never told them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Yeah, it's a tough job, but I'm a tough girl. You know the Kessel Run? Ran it in 10 parsecs. Listen, girl, you wanna go grab a bite to eat at the mess a little bit later?"

Just as I'm about to seal the deal with the cutest little technician from Tatooine or Dantooine or some other -tooine, the vice principal calls for me, completely breaking the mood. I grumble and place a hand on the girl's chin, smirking at her. "Hey, I gotta go, but we ain't done here~" Leaving her swooning, I make my way to the bridge.

I'm the fourth to enter, hands behind my head as I check out the others. "Yeah yeah, I'm here. Whaddaya want? Interrupted some important business."

quote:

The Scoundrel

Look: Female, Soft Features, Casual Clothing
Demeanor: Charming

Canny 1
Cool 2
Deep -1
Rugged -1
Suave 1

Gigs:

Treasure hunting
Smuggling
Bounty hunting

Moves:

Moonlighting: You get 2-juggling. Whenever there’s a stretch of downtime in play, or between sessions, choose a number of your gigs to work; no more than your juggling, and roll with Cool. On a 10+, you get profit from all the gigs you chose. On a 7–9, you get profit from 1; if you chose more, you get catastrophe from others. On a miss, catastrophe all around. The gigs you aren’t working give you neither profit nor catastrophe. Whenever you get a new gig, you also get +1 juggling.

Stone-Faced: Whenever someone uses Read a Person on you, you may answer one of their questions any way you like.

Gear:

Blaster rifle
2-Cred
The Eternal Angel, a small carrier that Nyala used to call home before taking on this mission.

Crew/Contacts:

Rena Xang, my partner in crime on the Eternal Angel before I had to ghost. I left the ship with her, so she's in good hands. Also happens to be an on-again off-again lover.
Jek Malna is an information broker who's one of my main sources of work. Always has a good eye on any bounties or payloads.
Giilban, a Wookiee and probably my biggest rival. He's probably glad I'm gone, heh.

Drama Moves:

When you die, choose a character and leave them your ship. When someone important (their call) associates them with your ship, they may roll Reputation as if they had the move.

When you open up to someone, hold 1 on them. When they’re next in trouble, you can spend the hold to show up in the nick of time.

Bonds:

I’ve worked a few jobs in the past with Tanith Ral we’re solid.
I once screwed Niita Harg out of a deal; I guess that means I owe them one.
Artemis Nova is someone I rely on for steady income.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

When Niita enters, she is holding in one hand a small measuring device of some sort, in the other a readout display she is watching intently.

She blinks a few times while looking around, noticing she is the last to arrive.

"Am I late? Frak!" She quickly brightens up again. "On the bright side, decks one through three and five through eight are entirely clean of toxic airborne contaminants."

pre:
Name: Niita Harg

Playbook: The Gearhead
Female, Exceptional Features, Mismatched Clothing, Calculating Demeanor

Stats
Canny 2
Cool -1
Deep 1
Rugged 0
Suave 0

Gear

Workspace (a starship dock,dock, a controlled growing environment, machining tools)
3-cred
Blaster pistol (2-harm close loud energy)
Compact welding tool.

Moves

Technical Savant: You have an inherent knowledge of machines and tech. When you

spend some time studying a piece of equipment, roll with Canny. On a 10+, ask 2. On

a 7-9, ask 1:

 For what purpose was this created?

 How can I safely dismantle or replicate this?

 Who or what created this?

 Is something wrong with this? If so, how can I fix or exploit it?

 What is this, really?

 What is its true worth?

On a miss, something unexpected goes wrong with your study or the equipment.

Tech Wiz: When you put your technical know-how to use in the field, roll with Canny.

On a 10+, choose both. On a 7-9, choose 1:

 You create a golden opportunity for yourself and/or others

 Take definite hold of something vulnerable or exposed

On a miss, you make a mistake or false assumption that gets you or someone you’re

working with into a tight spot.

Drama Moves

When you open up to someone, offer them a piece of advice for the future. If they follow through with your advice, they take +1 forward in doing so and you mark experience.

Bonds
 I’m working on an important piece of tech for Tanith Ral.

 Artemis Nova seems to understand me where few others do.

 When I’m in trouble, I usually turn to Zhayna Chwor for help.

 I may have a small crush on Nyala Crashot.

 Create or work on something using your Workspace

 Use techno jargon to explain something

 Show enthusiasm for a piece of tech

 Share something meaningful about yourself

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 29, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
When you all arrive at the command bridge, the older Mon Calamari, Admiral Rotero, turns his command chair towards you and salutes you back personally, though gives a judging stare at Nyala for her rude attitude and lack of proper salute.

"Team, we have just detected an Imperial signature on the planet below. If we're lucky, the Empire crash landed on this planet during their escape from Jakku. If the entire fleet can be accounted for here, then the Empire made a bad jump in haste, we can report back the Empire is finally and thankfully dead, and we can return to Coruscant for drinks. But, I don't expect us to be that lucky."

Pointing at the planret, he continues "The planet appears to be primitive, no signs of sapient life was discovered: except for the Imperial signature and a large pyramid structure. Initial scans show no signs of life. Most likely, there was a society here at some point but the dry beach of time has claimed them. Irrelevant other than it should give us more leeway in how we can act."

Pointing back at you, change the subject as appropriate, "As we are not detecting any ships in orbit, we don't need preparations for a space battle. But, the Imperial signature means we can't be too careful. Tannith, you will be on standby this mission and your ship will be loaded on to Artemis' frigate. Artemis, your team will take the crew down to the planet and begin surveying the sight. If no signs of life are detected, you have authorization to enter the site. Stealth is suggested, so Nyala skills should come in handy. Rely on Zhana, if things get hot, Nyala. Nita, keep the ships in order and, if the all-clear is given, retrieve what you can for salvage: Imperial weaponry and parts is worth its weight in gold to the Republic."

Putting his arms at rest, he goes, "Any questions? You have your orders, your ships, and your own command. If there are no questions, go and may the Force be with you."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Tanith Ral - Command Bridge

Snapping a salute and not quite sure which eye his gaze should meet, Tanith pipes up. "Sir, by your leave, I'd like to run a quick patrol route as we depart. A lack of sensor readings doesn't exactly mean someone's not watching and waiting. If I can hit a few of the local extraplanetary bodies, hopefully I can spot a few probes or listening devices. This whole thing stinks of a setup, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyos posted:

Tanith Ral - Command Bridge

Snapping a salute and not quite sure which eye his gaze should meet, Tanith pipes up. "Sir, by your leave, I'd like to run a quick patrol route as we depart. A lack of sensor readings doesn't exactly mean someone's not watching and waiting. If I can hit a few of the local extraplanetary bodies, hopefully I can spot a few probes or listening devices. This whole thing stinks of a setup, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong."

The mon calmari gives you a neutral. "We don't have any readings on them, if they exist. I'll authorize it, but be careful: this is unexplored space. There is no guarantee we aren't in space occupied by another intersystem government. For all we know, we could be in the equivalent of Hutt Space or the Chiss Ascendancy's territory. We simply don't know. That's why I prefer if we keep our movements minimal until we know where we are. But, i'll authorize it.

We'll handle this by having you Check Out The Scene later.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

  V⬡⬡⬡ W⬡⬡⬡ 2-arm | Ca-1, Co+2, De=0, Ru+2, Su-1 | 1-cred | XP⬡⬡⬡⬡⬡

Chwor frowns at the display. "Every time we find Imps holed up near old ruins, things get bad." She gives Rotero a salute. "May the Force be with you, Admiral."

She turns to the others. "I'll tell Echo Squad to gear up. Echo One is still down, so if we need lift or air support, it'll be on you two," she adds to Artemis and Tanith. "I'll meet you in the hangar."

With that Chwor leaves, pulling out her commlink as she goes. "Ge, this is Chwor. Squad up. Don't know what we've facing downstairs, but there's ruins, so full load all around. Assemble near Nova's frigate, she's our ride down."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Yeah, yeah, Force whatever."

I wave my hand and turn on my heels to head out.

"I'm gonna go prepare my loadout. Arty, tell me when we're ready to touch down, would ya, doll?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Artemis drops back into rest, hands perfectly clasped behind her back, legs slightly apart, shoulders back. She replies with a nod, "Understood, Sir," she says, snapping a quick salute and departing. She's got her commlink in hand as Nyala speaks to her...familiarly. A sidelong look and a breath. "You'll have our support, Miss Crashot."

A nod to Zhayna. "We'll be ready, Major."

Artemis thumbs her commlink ."Lieutenant Commander," she says. "Prepare for launch. We have an insertion and surveillance mission. Major Chwor's team will be coming aboard as our primary insertion force."

Covok
May 27, 2013

"Aye, aye", your Lieutenant Commander responds to you, Atermis, "We'll let them aboard as soon as they arrive." You can hear him begin to give orders right before he closes the mic on his end.

While this goes on, Ge, your Sullustan Lieutenant, pipes back at Zhanya "Oh, ruins? Oh I don't like the sound of that. Never been great when ruins involved. Too much weird force stuff going on." He pauses. "But, I'll ready the troops, of course. Gonna go over to Nova's frigate." You can heart him moan one last time before cutting the line.

Time passes and you find yourself orbiting the planet. So far, things seem safe and no obvious hostiles are present. However, Tanith, is still out searching for signs of hostility and listening devices in surrounding space.

Tannith, check out the scene.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Tanith Ral - In the Blue Bucket orbiting an unknown planet

Check out the Scene [Canny] = 9

Rebreather in place, deflectors to minimum, engine cranked to max - catapulting into space, Ral's Blue Bucket has proven spaceworthy! Keeping a tight formation with the squad's until orbit, Tanith gets a feel for the added maneuverability, though a sticky maneuvering thruster gets noted for later. Toggling comms, he reports in. "Bucket's doing fine at the moment. Breaking to run a sweep." Uploading his projected patrol route, as the ship hits orbit, he sets about his recon run.

Using the opportunity to pull a hard turn and burn, Ral shunts everything to his thrusters, getting a sense of just what this interceptor is capable of. Eyes on sensors, he makes some quick passes of the near-orbit objects and any other areas that could have been old, standard Imperial hiding places.

What should I be on the lookout for?

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 12, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

As Tanith flies past the celestial bodies orbiting the world, his sensors detect nothing Imperial. As a matter of fact, it begins to feel like a goose chase until he decides to fly close to one of the objects. On one of them, he sees an odd growth on the surface. Taking a closer examination, it looks like a plant with an eyeball. It's looking at him. Nothing in Republic databases (or captured Imperial ones) mention anything like this. Perhaps its just local fauna, but its weird that its surviving on a body without an atmosphere and is the only one of its kind on the body. It's not unheard of for lifeforms to migrate from one celestial body to the next when they get to close, like the flying beasts of Onderron, but something is unsettling. Even more so when Tanith, on his second pass, sees more of these strategically placed around the planet.

But, still, while it puts him on edge, what threat could plants with eyes really pose to them, other than stealing their curiosity?

While this is going on, what is everyone else doing?

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 12, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Tanith Ral - Orbiting an unknown planet

"-the hell?" Plants. In space. With eyes. Looking at him. There were some weird aliens out there, but these did not bode well. "Nova, Ral. We've got a potential first contact situation." Sending his navigational data, he makes sure to mark where these... things happened to be. "This looks like a deliberate placement, and honestly, I can't think of a single thing that's comfortable about them." Taking a parking orbit around one of the creatures, he contemplates. "I've never seen anything like these, and I get the feeling they're keeping an eye on us. If you want, I can blast 'em away, but I'll leave that decision to you."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Chwor is down in the hold with her troops, making sure everyone is ready, and talks with her NCOs. "With Echo One down for repairs, we're dependent on Nova for transport. So Sunjammer will run comms and liaise. Urukagina and Cade will be on landing zone security."

"We don't have good intel on the layout of the ruins, so we'll play it safe. We'll use Bantha horns - One Section on the left, Two Section on the right, Three Section as the base. I'll be with Two Section." Ge has One Section. For all his worrying, I know he doesn't need me looking over his shoulder. Neither does Arango with Three Section - she's a bit unimaginative but eminently reliable. Rask is the newest NCO; he has plenty of combat experience and potential, but this is his first time in formal command of anything more than himself.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

V⬡⬡⬡ W⬡⬡⬡ 2-harm | Ca+1, Co-1, De-1, Ru=0, Su+1| 2-cred | XP⬡⬡⬡⬡⬡

"Release clamps!" Artemis calls as stations report ready. The ship's bridge doesn't have the same expansive feel of the larger ships, instead something more like an uprated cockpit, with a command chair in the center and a series of stations fore and aft for duty officers. "Engage thrusters," she instructs the pilot, "Proceed to course as planned."

Glacier Spear falls free of the giant Cruiser, thrusters making it swing up before engines kick in, chucking the ship forward through space. Down in the pocket carrier's hold sit fighters with their pilots, ready to drop in case of trouble, sharing space with Zhayna and her troops. No need to show that card too early, let Tanith be the flusher.

Artemis leans forward on her left arm, watching windows and screens as the corvette thunders forward on its course. Tanith's crackling report gets her attention, making her sit back up. "drat it," she curses. First contact, always the worst. "Sensors, get a tight scan on that, see if it's doing anything threatening. Weapons, get the guns warmed and the tubes loaded." A couple quick 'Ayes' from those officers. Artemis forgives them their lack of enthusiasm - to be expected with a new Captain. As long as they're professional, which they seem to be so far.

"Helm, proceed to landing zone, give those plants a fair berth."

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Niita has just finished double-checking everyones survival gear when she hears of the plant-things.
Scrambling up to look over the sensor technician's shoulder, she tries to get a good look at the things.
"Wow, that looks wierd. Can we pick up a sample? No, we shouldn't, they might be linked somehow. Maybe on the way back? Some kind of primitive sensor system? Hmm..."
She finally lapses into a thoughtful silence as the technician manages to get her away from the console so he can do his job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've taken this opportunity to get a quick power nap in before the mission, but I guess people don't know when to shut up. I open one eye to look at these plant things. Whatever.

"Psh, I don't care about any plant I can't smoke."

Covok
May 27, 2013

As your ship begins to enter the atmosphere, the heat begins to burn against the hull of the ship. Nothing your ships can't take, but you get the feeling this may be the first time in a long while that anyone has entered the atmosphere of this world. The surface of the world slowly bursts into view.

You can see a powerful pyramid dart from the ground. It's gold stones are punctuated with silver on all its corners. On all sides, the following symbol stands in a sharp purple:

Not far from the pyramid, there is the crash site of an Imperial Corvette

You can see it having grievous damage all along the outer hull and vines have grown around it, as if they were holding it in place.

As quickly as you notice that, you hear your helm's men scream out in unison with the alarms, "Incoming!"

From the planet's surface, large stalks immediately spurt upward and begin firing out a green lob of acidic liquid at your ships.

What do you do?

For the record, the seeing eye plants were on the celestial bodies orbiting the planet, not the planet itself. These stalks firing at you are not them

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Glacier Spear drops through the atmosphere, trailing superheated plasma as it nears the ancient pyramid. As the sensor blackout clears, two things happen at once. First, the sensor officer reports the corvette smashed on the surface of the planet. "Bad shape," she says, "definitely been there a while." Second, the helmsman smashes the alert button, setting off sirens throughout the ship. "Incoming!"

Artemis slides forward in her seat. "Helm, evasive action. Shields to full. Weapons free, repeat, weapons are free. Launch fighters." She hits her key for the radio. "Tanith, see if you and the squad can knock down those...missiles?" her voice betrays uncertainty at the end. She's been attacked by a lot of things, never plants.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Chwor's planning is interrupted by alarms and the sudden lurching of the ship underneath her. About what she's used to, really.

She makes a beeline for a terminal and pulls up what's going on around them. Then opens a comm to Nova. "This is Chwor! Echo Squad's no good up here, put us on the ground and we can go after those things from below!"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Atmo wasn't too hard of a task, but those space plants gave Tanith a bad feeling. The sudden alarms and comms chatter confirmed it. As soon as he was sure he wouldn't break up over the planet's surface, Tanith kicks it into afterburners, the Blue Bucket screaming across the surface as he assesses the situation. The comfortable strain of acceleration is heard in his voice as he responds to various requests.

"Pretty sure I can't shoot liquid out of the sky. Going for those stalks - let's hope you've got some hard shields on there!"

Flicking a toggle, a bright red indicator light flares on as all unnecessary systems have their power shunted to engines and cannons. Time for the Devil in the Cockpit to get some work done.

Devil in the Cockpit [Canny]: 9 (2 9s in a row? Good think Orokos is there to prove it's legit!)
Adrenaline kicks in, tempered by years of experience. Time seems to slow down, and physics become instinct. Tearing through the atmosphere at full throttle, an idea strikes - Banking hard left, the A-Wing pushes hard through the sound barrier, inertial dampeners preventing the pilot's blood from pooling in his feet as the concussive force of the maneuver disrupts the incoming glob. Blasters might pass through, but compressed air and a concussive shockwave tears through, turning the coherent ball into a disorganized spatter. Maintaining his momentum, he rockets toward the nearest stalk, finger on the trigger.

This could count for a lot of things, so I'm hoping to get a quick clarification. Rolling a 9 gives me 2 choices on the Devil list: I'm going with Pull Someone's rear end out of the Fire to shield the corvette from damage, and Pull off a Death-Defying Stunt for the high-G maneuver. This may count for 2 experience, as it's flying my ship into danger and taking a stupid risk. Waiting on the GM's call!

Covok
May 27, 2013

For future reference, Aretmis, if you feel a move triggered, go for it. No worries on it. Remember, this is a shared experience and its totally okay to take initiative.

Since Tanith has already rolled, we'll let him resolve that first, especially since I'm okay with his interpretation. If that is okay with everyone.

As you pull the trigger, red blaster bolts fire from your A-Wing in a volley. The plant stalks buck under the assault and burst. As the towering stalk falls onto the landscape, you have little time to celebrate. The stalk's still fires off its last blast and its now hurtling toward you. For that matter, the other two stalks are registering you as the major threat now. They begin firing a volley at you. It's time for your to Act Under Pressure.

As you become the target, Glacier Spear begins to seem like a wasps nest as Artemis' fighters begin to pour out from the sides of the ship. You got their asses out of the fire, time for them to repay the favor.

What does everyone do?

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

That's right, focus on the bee, not on the hive.

"Blue lead, splash one stalk. Moving to-" Pausing for a moment as proximity alarms go off, he clenches his gut to prepare for an evasive roll. A quick scan of the horizon registers 2 veggies focused on him. "-scratch. Going evasive."

To a normal pilot, the use of any anti-capital weapon would cause them to Act Under Pressure, but Tanith Ral was no normal pilot - he was a Devil in the Cockpit

Per decision on discord, Devil supersedes Pressure
Devil in the Cockpit [Canny]:6 (:suicide:)

Nowhere near enough testing was done on the Bucket before entering this sort of situation. Simulations were all well and good, but an engine blowout is never, ever a good thing. A hotwiring somewhere must have sparked off after that sonic boom, but it's also incredibly hard to target a fighter that's rapidly decelerating into a tailspin.

On a failure, hold one, but something bad happens. Avoided the shots, but figured an engine blowout would make for an appropriate "something bad". Feel free to pile on!

His voice over comms is urgent, strained, but far from panicked. "Blue lead. Eng-kk-e-engine one blown. Trying to.... pull..." Pilots have a knack for keeping blood in their brains. Unfortunately, it involves a lot of really goofy looking faces, holding of breath, and grunting.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 20, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dammit, Ral! I know you're a better pilot than this! I immediately open my comms.

"Yo, Ral! I hope you haven't forgotten how you handled that busted cruiser when we were on Cloud City! The Daal Maneuver! An upward corkscrew to compensate for a skewed engine! Now get up and get back in there!"

Helping Tanith: 13
I bump his roll up to a 7, and with the 12+, THAT bumps up to a 10+

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

We need the team on the ground! Find a spot for a touch and go," Artemis orders helm. "Weapons, keep those things off us as we come down. Sensors, watch for threats on the ground." Artemis has slid forward in her command chair, fingers on her left hand digging into the arm of the thing.

Glacier Spear streaks down through the sky, heading for a small clearing roughly equidistant between the wreck and the ruins.

"Chwor!" Artemis announces into the comms. "We're down in one minute. Be ready!"

Touch and go Landing (Act Under Pressure): 2d6-1 1
That...will not go well.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Understood!" Chwor turns to her team. "On the dirt in one minute! I want Echo out and ready ten seconds after that. Get ready."

As the ship heads for the landing zone, Chwor pulls up a visual of it. They're going to need to get to work, and fast.

Check Out the Scene (+Rugged): 2d6+2 8
What should I be on the lookout for?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tannith, your roll was bumped up to a 10. This gives you 3 hold with your move instead of me stepping in. What do you spend your hold on? It's your show on that one, baby.

Artemis, every the model of a modern officer, shows bravado in the field. She was right to head to the clearing as quickly as possibly, but she was hasty. The air was too hot for a landing. One of the two remaining stalks too its chance and lashed itself like a whip at her ship. Blowing one of the engines, the ship when hurtling towards the ground in a hard crash landing that tore through the terrain.

Artemis, Zhayna, Nita, and Nyala (as long as you were all on that ship.), take 2-harm AP

Lucky for her and her team, most of the injuries are superficial and the loss of consciousness was temporary and short.

But, right before they crashed, Zhayna made an observation. She saw, in the distance, what looked like a black shadow stalking the ground. In its mouth, she caught for a glimpse, held a bloody imperial officer's robe. It would surely come to the ship if they landed too close.

And, she was all too right.

When Zhayna came too, she could see the beast breaking through the cracked cockpit window. It couldn't make it all the way through, but its claw was free and flailing about.

It's at that moment when Zhayna realized it wasn't holding that Imperial Officer's uniform in its mouth before: it was wearing it!

However, you're lucky. You saw it coming and you have the drop on it. It's exposed, unarmored, and you had your hand on your weapon before everything went black: you are ready for this thing.

Meanwhile, Nita, you begin overhearing something from the radio desk. The technician is still out cold, but you can hear the message slipping out from their headset. It's saying "Hello? Whose out there? This is Admiral Li of the Imperial Navy, or what's left of it. We crashed on this planet a long time ago, right after Jakku and...honestly, we don't care, Rebel, Imperial, we just need help and evac. Please!"

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 24, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

V⬡⬡⬡ W⬢⬢⬡ 2-harm | Ca+1, Co-1, De-1, Ru=0, Su+1| 2-cred | XP⬢⬡⬡⬡⬡

Glacier Spear shakes as it comes down, vibrations increasing. Artemis' nails dig into the arm of her hair. "Smooth us out," she says, an edge in her voice. Just as they seem to be through the worst of it and Artemis begins to relax, a stalk comes up and smashes the big drive section of the ship. Half the engines sputter out, sending the ship tumbling. Artemis curses under her breath, and as the ship shakes, she thumbs the general alert. "Brace for impact!" she orders, just before the starship plows into the ground.

Artemis comes back into consciousness in pieces, head first, arms, legs. Everything seems to be there an unbroken, a minor miracle right there. Artemis grabs a console and pulls herself up. She's got a nasty looking head wound, hair half matted with blood, and a rip in her uniform. Blast. She thumbs the comm. "Captain here," she announces to whomever's left. "All crew report for damage control and first aid." From under the console Artemis produces a first aid kit, and starts to look over the bridge crew, starting with Nita. "How do you feel?" she asks, which for her counts as downright warm and concerned.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 24, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Nyala Crashot posted:

"Yo, Ral! I hope you haven't forgotten how you handled that busted cruiser when we were on Cloud City! The Daal Maneuver! An upward corkscrew to compensate for a skewed engine! Now get up and get back in there!"

The blood escaping his brain made things take a moment to register, but the maneuver was sound. Rather than fight the spin, Tanith pulls hard up, adjusting the yaw juuuust right. With a pop, a jostle, and a hefty amount of black smoke, Tanith punches the throttle to full before the redout became a blackout. Though it was only for a few seconds, when vision returns, the scene has changed entirely. The Spear had run aground, those damned stalks getting their photosynthetic tendrils on the ship. Too high to see the happenings on the ground, he smirks, cracking his neck before backing the throttle as low as it can go, letting gravity do the work of the turn. Throwing the engines into full reverse, he keeps a slow descent - this vantage point was perfect to do a little gardening.

"Blue lead, back in it. Spear, please respond. Working on those last stalks. Nyala, everything ok? You pulled my rear end out of the fire, there."

All in all, quite the casual conversation for punching holes in plants with accelerated radiation designed to punch holes in meters of hardened metal. Cannon fire rains down from the sky, pounding the stalks until he's convinced they're no longer a threat.

Damage was avoided with the previous hold, but with the boost from Nyala, 2 more holds exist. One was used for the stunt to pull out of the spin, and the other I'm being a little liberal with - I'm assuming, narratively, that after rocketing up, he's got an angle on the remaining stalks, and will take them out so as to remove them as a threat to the Spear.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 2, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

  V⬢⬢⬡ W⬡⬡⬡ 2-arm | Ca-1, Co+2, De=0, Ru+2, Su-1 | 1-cred | XP⬢⬡⬡⬡⬡

Unfortunately, the experience waking up after being knocked out is a familiar one to Chwor. Shaking her head to clear it, she looks up and sees the... creature.

Instinctively, she raises her weapon and fires. And she keeps firing as she gets back to her feet, until the creature either stops moving or does something else.

Behind her, she can hear her squad getting themselves together. "Ge, get them up! Cover the main hatch, we've got hostiles!"

Go In Blazing (+Rugged): 2d6+2 11
• You don't suffer harm in return.
Blaster rifle (3-harm close loud autofire energy)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2 Harm

"Ergh...I've shaken off worse hangovers at Mos Eisly, but I'm still a bit rattled. Wouldn't complain if you kissed my booboos better, Doll."

I push myself up and wipe some blood from my brow. "You good out there, Ral? I think I'm hitching a ride with you outta here."

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Platonicsolid posted:

From under the console Artemis produces a first aid kit, and starts to look over the bridge crew, starting with Nita. "How do you feel?" she asks, which for her counts as downright warm and concerned.

"Well, I've been better," I say, before the sound from the headset registers. "We've got signal!"
Pushing myself upright, I try not to yank the headset from the technician's ears. My eyes dart across the console as I give answer,
"This is technician Niita Harg of the New Republic expeditionary fleet!" That sounds nice and impressive. "You guys in that corvette by the pyramid? What's your situation?"

Reading the Admiral (+Canny): 2d6+2 12
What are they not telling me?
What do they intend to do about their situation?

Covok
May 27, 2013

With a burst of blaster fire, the mutated monster blasts backwards. If it weren't for the heat of the blaster bolts cauterizing the wound, everyone in the command center would be covered in blood. You can tell from the cry and the distance it flew back that it isn't getting up again. Of course, there may be more in the area.

While this fight goes on, Nita gets a response from her new friends. "Our situation? Our situation is kriffed up! That's our situation. We've been stranded here for kriff knows how long and we've been under attack from hostile wildlife since day one! We've been bleeding people day in and day out. Food and water is almost out! Please, help!"

It's at that moment when Nita looks up and sees the mutated freak, right before it is blasted away. It's uniform: Imperial. Nita knows that this guy isn't telling them about what happened to some of their crew, how some of their crew has been turned into monsters. Considering that and the local wildlife, Nita deduces that the only thing this guy would want is off this planet. That said, he might work with them, but he'd gladly toss them aside if the opportunity arises to get off their world not under Republic supervision. Of course, he's also the team's only lead on where the Imperials went.

The question then becomes: do we work with them or just leave? Can we even leave in a ship this beat-up?

While this is all going on, of course, there is still the matter of the two remaining stalks. Zannith can easily get the upper-hand on one of them due to his devlish piloting and there are still fighters in the air that launched before the crash.

The question, as always, is what does everyone do?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

V⬡⬡⬡ W⬢⬢⬡ 2-harm | Ca+1, Co-1, De-1, Ru=0, Su+1| 2-cred | XP⬢⬡⬡⬡⬡

"We all have. This is a good crew. We'll be flying again soon." She sees Niita taking the headset, and leaves her to it, going to tend to a few of the injured bridge crew. She'd never have performed such a task on an Imperial vessel, instead leaving it to medics and droids. She listens to the conversation between Niita and the Admiral. Li. The name's familiar to her, at least by reputation. A solid officer, generally, not prone to panics. If he's this agitated, it must be for a very good reason."

"Admiral Li," she cuts in. "This is Captain Artemis Nova." If she knows of him, perhaps he'll know of her. "Our vessel suffered damage on approach. We may need parts and supplies from your vessel to achieve repairs. Please transmit a list of all available parts, supplies and personnel along with your casualties status at your earliest convenience."

Artemis pauses, before keying the radio off. "We're not your enemy, Admiral. We can all leave this planet alive."

Apply Leverage (Persuade the Admiral): 2d6+1 8

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

  V⬢⬢⬡ W⬡⬡⬡ 2-arm | Ca-1, Co+2, De=0, Ru+2, Su-1 | 1-cred | XP⬢⬡⬡⬡⬡

Chwor keeps her rifle trained on the window, but when the creature stays down and no more make an appearance, she turns back to her squad. There's bumps and bruises, but the only significant injury is Ruz, who's arm is bent in an unnatural angle even for his species. Llosa, the medic, is strapping it up and giving him a shot of something. She makes a quick decision. "Urukagina, take Ruz's spot in Two Section."

"I can still handle a rifle," Ruz protests, but Chwor interrupts. "I know, which is why you'll be watching the landing zone with Cade. Otherwise I'd turn you over to the med droids." That doesn't make either Ruz or Llosa happy - the latter clearly wants him in the medbay - but Chwor isn't here to make people happy.

"Artemis, Niita, I'm taking Echo out. We'll secure the... landing site... and then push toward the Imperial's position. We'll clear out any of those stalks we come across along the way." Two of the troopers carefully open the bay doors while two more cover it in case of trouble. When the coast turns out to be clear, the squad quickly moves through and fans out, finding cover and watching the tree line.

Chwor steps out to join them, glad to have her feet on the ground, even if its hostile territory. "I sent Sunjammer your way to help handle comms. Make sure the Imps know we're coming. If they shoot at me, I'm going to be very unhappy."

Chwor and Echo Squad are going to secure the crash site, then make for the Imperial's location. Let me know if you need any moves to make that happen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

V-2 H

I pull out my rifle and sling it across my shoulder as I regain my bearings and walk up behind Artemis.

"Imperial dog crying for help, huh? If it weren't for that monster, I'd think this was a trap. Still have my doubts. Either way, I'll follow your lead, doll."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Artemis, you should have vitality damage, not wound damage.

Artemis, after you give your demands, there is a pause on the other end of the line. The frantic voice heard earlier is returned with a more level headed demeanor. "We will send you those schematics, but only if you give your word that my men will be given pardon. They are just soldiers and their only crime is serving their government, but I know full well you're 'republic' will try them as war criminals for simply wearing the armor. I am willing to give myself over to your courts as a bargaining chip."

The question now is if you give your word to someone you have no reason to trust and every reason to be weary of.

Zhayna is finding herself in a more physical endeavor. Tanith is still dealing with the stalks up above and the shrapnel from their battle still rains down. This doesn't even begin to consider the likelihood of more of those "things" being about this hellhole. Trying to get across would certainly be acting under pressure.

• Locked thread