Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yes it's true lady and gentlemen, MadCatz is no more. The company that cornered the niche market of making controllers for fighting game weirdos and distant relatives that didn't want to spend more than $20 on your christmas presents is dead. It did not go quietly into that good night however, scratching and screaming with all its might much like it's namesake before being stuffed into a sack and thrown into a river, bringing us the sort of products that can only be thought of by a team of people that could not give less of a gently caress. Such as:

A Batarang! If playing Clash of Clans or whatever garbage piece of poo poo game you like wasn't painful enough, you could cut yourself with this $200 symbol of man's hubris!

A tiny guitar! how adorable

Condoms! Buying MadCatz products basically guarantees you are never going to impregnate someone, so I'm not sure who this was meant for.

A wall scroll of legendary baseball hero Mark McGuire!

A gun! A real life, honest to god gun. Worked about as well as anything else madcatz made

Wall-E! From the hit movie Chappie! Nah, just kidding, it's the Batarang again, got ya

Let's take this time to talk about the little company that couldn't. I actually own one of their fightsticks, it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Owned a bunch of their poo poo throughput the years. I'm surprised they went under, I thought they had the super cheap controller market locked down. I guess that's me being out of touch though.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
It's Nerf, or nothing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The best part about this is MadCatz bought Saitek and ran their poo poo into the ground but now Logitech owns Saitek so perhaps they can return to the glory that is not making loving garbage.

Mad Catz was poo poo forever.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Their community manager spent most of his time giving away free stuff to foxy Twitch vixens and cosplayers who could make eye contact with him for longer than 5 seconds, which surprisingly didn't save the company from bankruptcy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if id known that i would have scored some free swag

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

as a small child i owned a madcatz playstation 1 control and memory card

rest in pieces

The General
Mar 4, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Mad Catz was poo poo forever.

Agreed. 100%.

I hear their fightsticks were p. good, but I would never buy one due to decades of bullshit products.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

the TE2 was the only good thing they ever did and it's because they didn't make the internal parts

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I had a Madcatz PS1 controller where the rubber on the analog stick fell off while playing the boxing mini-game in Ape Escape. They failed me, and I'm glad their company is dead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only mad catz product I owned was an N64 controller with a turbo button that liked to turn on its own, confusing the hell out of me.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
My friend had a mad catz steering wheel for the original need for speed and the pedals never worked.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Never in all my youth would I have thought madcatz would die before pelican in the lovely 3rd party accessories war.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Didn't they make the Rock Band gear? That stuff was pretty solid.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Croccers posted:

They went bankrupt because they invested all their money into Rock Band 4 peripherals, which flopped horribly.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Croccers posted:

That is one of the reasons they went under. They went all in on the latest version of it, and it was a flop.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

They went bankrupt because they invested all their money into Rock Band 4 peripherals, which flopped horribly.
RIP Rock Band 4 and that other one I see an instrument set for but never the game.
I never followed with the game because I couldn't transfer my poo poo from 360 to PS4. I imagine that stopped a heap of sales.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I had a madcatz GameCube controller that always drifted left like a lovely shopping cart

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Holy poo poo lol they kept going in on the rock band stuff..After the first? Lmao

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

God drat I got burned with some lovely mad catz controller for the xbox and never bought that crap again. getting a mad catz controller at a friends place was a gaurantee last place finish. rip in piss

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I had a Madcatz PS1 controller where the rubber on the analog stick fell off while playing the boxing mini-game in Ape Escape. They failed me, and I'm glad their company is dead.

Revenge is truly yours.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CharlestonJew posted:

Is this true? Because if so...

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

gently caress SNEEP posted:

God drat I got burned with some lovely mad catz controller for the xbox and never bought that crap again. getting a mad catz controller at a friends place was a gaurantee last place finish. rip in piss

The Mad Catz Xbox controller at release date was a lot better than the Duke.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Saucer Crab posted:

The Mad Catz Xbox controller at release date was a lot better than the Duke.

gently caress that, the Duke was an unsung hero. Now everyone makes a controller so tiny I feel like I could break it in half if I wanted to.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is this true? Because if so...

Yes, after the music game trend was long dead and buried harmonix exhumed it's corpse to put on display one last time. Apparently the game sold decently but madcatz put pretty much everything they had into it so yeah, rip.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

A Batarang! If playing Clash of Clans or whatever garbage piece of poo poo game you like wasn't painful enough, you could cut yourself with this $200 symbol of man's hubris!

Holy poo poo holy poo poo I never saw this loving thing

How does a company release this and not INSTANTLY go out of business, all the profit charts lighting on fire

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that thing seems like a really good way to get your finger pinched between two pieces of cheap plastic

slev
Apr 6, 2009

It's the type of controller I would have made my little brother use in the 90s.

Like this thing

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

slev posted:

It's the type of controller I would have made my little brother use in the 90s.

Like this thing

hahaha and I thought the base N64 controller couldn't get any worse. Lets add a dildo!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I never understood why they didn't rebrand when they started making "good" products like those fight sticks. Their name was like poison on the market, only bringing up bad memories of their memory cards deleting your data or their controllers breaking constantly. They should have just sold their quality products with a different name since no matter how hard you try to tell people, their reputation was one that wasn't going to go way no matter how hard they tried.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
When I was growing up, giving someone the Mad Catz controller was probably the best way of passive-aggressively letting someone know you're pissed at them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

holy poo poo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:laffo:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The guy in the comments just wants to help

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
My $20 Logitech controller has lasted longer than any $50 Microsoft 360 controller.

I seriously went through about 1 of those per year. The analog sticks plum gave out.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

RIP MadCatz. Your controllers were always the ones none of my friends wanted to play with.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Those bulky N64 controllers always had Z buttons that would break and become useless, gently caress you MadCatz

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

They made a lot of Players 2s that might not otherwise have been in the money to hold an additional controller period. Bad controllers though so I'll line up to spit on this grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I only owned 1 MadCatz product, and it was their 3rd party GCN controller. Thing was hefty, uncomfortable, and the buttons were spread just a few mm more away from each other than the regular Nintendo one - invisible to the eye, but noticeable enough when playing that it was annoying. But it had a macro button, so that was cool, even if I never figured out how to use the dang thing. Still, $10 cheaper than a 1st party controller!

• Locked thread