Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Croccers posted:

RIP Rock Band 4 and that other one I see an instrument set for but never the game.
I never followed with the game because I couldn't transfer my poo poo from 360 to PS4. I imagine that stopped a heap of sales.

So Harmonix and MadCatz had originally co-published RB4, but the next year, MadCatz dropped out because of their financial problems and PDP took over with the new RB4 expansion stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Condoms! Buying MadCatz products basically guarantees you are never going to impregnate someone, so I'm not sure who this was meant for.

That's a gate for an arcade stick, I don't know if this is one of those that's the joke things but whatever.

Also the TE I got way back from them and the 360 fightpad were both amazing, I just use the latter for any game I emulate pretty much.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CharlestonJew posted:

A Batarang! If playing Clash of Clans or whatever garbage piece of poo poo game you like wasn't painful enough, you could cut yourself with this $200 symbol of man's hubris!
That looks like an angry crab.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
huh, i always thought Razer would go first

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

seiferguy posted:

I only owned 1 MadCatz product, and it was their 3rd party GCN controller. Thing was hefty, uncomfortable, and the buttons were spread just a few mm more away from each other than the regular Nintendo one - invisible to the eye, but noticeable enough when playing that it was annoying. But it had a macro button, so that was cool, even if I never figured out how to use the dang thing. Still, $10 cheaper than a 1st party controller!

Their best controllers were the PS2 ones where the buttons would shift and get stuck under the faceplate, so you'd hold down the X button for eternity

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
If nothing else, MadCatz taught me to always pay a little bit more for the 1st party products and never try to cheap out since it'll end up getting more expensive in the long run.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

I get what they were trying to do here, but jesus

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Technology-Smartphones-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00S7NFD8Q

gamey
May 17, 2009

Saucer Crab posted:

The Mad Catz Xbox controller at release date was a lot better than the Duke.

OK I had this controller and it sucks balls and rear end.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

That looks like an angry crab.

Holy gently caress I can't unsee it. His piercing blue eyes are filled with hate.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Their name sucked, their logo sucked, their products mostly sucked and their reputation was for mass mediocrity. (The polar opposite of Logitech.) You could get away with that up until the end of the PS2/GC/XB era, but not so much afterwards. The internet going mobile on smartphones didn't just make reviews more plentiful and easier to find while one was at the store, but the middle of that console era was also the rise of YouTube - and at the end of it, the trend of unboxing/review videos. (I'd bet most of their revenue came from the discerning consumer who didn't bother to read a magazine review first.) And no reputable retailer would ever deny a customer the chance to return a lovely peripheral anyways.

spit on my clit posted:

But doesn't Razer make decent quality stuff? I've never owned their products but its not like they have a reputation for cheap poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

if id known that i would have scored some free swag

He said cute girls.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

Yes, after the music game trend was long dead and buried harmonix exhumed it's corpse to put on display one last time. Apparently the game sold decently but madcatz put pretty much everything they had into it so yeah, rip.
Did it sell decently? Shortly after release Harmonix put up a crowdfunding campaign asking for like $2 million to get Sumo Digital to do a PC port (that you probably wouldn't be able to import your old DLC to), which failed. And now they're doing like a card game or something?

spit on my clit posted:

Razer was valued at US$1.5 billion last year. As goofy and overpriced as some of their products are, they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Thank gently caress, no more of their garbage to come in and gather dust on the shelves where I work. :toot:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Mad Catz sold off Saitek last year so its not like the writing hasn't been on the wall.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

The Kins posted:

Razer was valued at US$1.5 billion last year. As goofy and overpriced as some of their products are, they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

Razer stuff is good quality stuff. If I buy something that feels flimsy and it breaks, I don't go back to that brand. MadCatz never had that opportunity with me because I was already storied up by a number of friends furious with the brand over PS1 / PS2 memory cards pretty much losing everything on them.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
You can get the angry crab in Red aswell:

I never thought I would be saying this, but in some ways Madcatz started getting their poo poo back together near the end. Believe it or not the Wiiu Tekken Tag 2 stick is phenomenal: All Sanwa parts, hefty, and styled after a Noir cab. But I guess a few good products cant save a thirty years of bad ones...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't get the crabtroller, what's with the hinge on the handles? Do you squeeze the arms together to fold them in or swing out the thumbsticks or something?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

McSpanky posted:

I don't get the crabtroller, what's with the hinge on the handles? Do you squeeze the arms together to fold them in or swing out the thumbsticks or something?

I think so, yeah. apparently if you buy all 5 crab controller colors you can form the madcatz megazord which will delete all your save data and creep on your female acquaintances.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spit on my clit posted:

As long as they make the Deathadder, they'll survive.

KakerMix posted:

The best part about this is MadCatz bought Saitek and ran their poo poo into the ground but now Logitech owns Saitek so perhaps they can return to the glory that is not making loving garbage.

Hopefully. I really should get back into E:D one of these days.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

The arms fold because its a bad cell phone game controller.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

I had this thing. Got it new in 2003. It finally died a little less than a year ago. This thing saw play through one or more runs of, among other things, seven different Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest 8, two Ratchet and Clank games, Tales of Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, and Abyss, and a whole bunch of smaller titles whose only sin was to not have sixty hour game times. My wife got me a replacement for this one, since I used it so much. The macro function was easy and intuitive, and when you used the controller for PS1 games that didn't support analog the sticks would map to the dpad/face buttons so stuff like FF7 didn't injure your thumb.

So, yeah, I was a bit surprised to see that apparently the company sucked enough to go under because the one thing of theirs I used outlasted multiple official controllers under less use.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Madkatz fight sticks weigh alot (which you want) and use great japanese parts and are built to be fully customizable by the end user.

I hope someone buys their fight stick business basically. The guy that ran it for madkatz was a fighting game community guy called markman and he proved how one person who knows what players want can make a big difference in quality even in a mega poo poo tier company

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I had an N64 Mad Catz controller. Not only was it an uncomfortable piece of poo poo with spongy buttons, the handles inexplicably swiveled outwards so you could never get a proper grip on the controller. What kind of mutant wants the handles to be at a 45 degree angle to the buttons?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 7, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The fact that MadCatz arcade sticks and fightpads are legit the FGC standard, and Hori is the sub-optimal choice favored by a few holdouts, is loving surreal to me. Like something from Bizarro World or a Sliders episode.

e: like, the RAP4 is a good stick, but it is not anywhere near as easy to repair or mod as the TE2+ and those things are relatively important.

Caros
May 14, 2008

fastbilly1 posted:

You can get the angry crab in Red aswell:

I never thought I would be saying this, but in some ways Madcatz started getting their poo poo back together near the end. Believe it or not the Wiiu Tekken Tag 2 stick is phenomenal: All Sanwa parts, hefty, and styled after a Noir cab. But I guess a few good products cant save a thirty years of bad ones...

Wait, I thought the point of this thread was that you can't get the angry crab anymore. :confused:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can get the angry crab, but only on clearance or on ebay. the amount of angry crabs that currently exist in the world will never increase.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I have a MadCatz PS1 memory card that I still use. It's one of those ones that has multiple "pages" worth of storage space you can flip through with a button.

I don't know anything about MadCatz' reputation but that card is the only high-capacity PS1 card I've seen that actually works as advertised, doesn't corrupt your data, and doesn't take a minute and a half to switch between pages.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I have one of their GameCube memory cards in my wii at this very moment. I haven't actually used the card in years though so I don't know if my save data is intact. I only use it because I lost my original memory card a long time ago.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I liked the original Xbox controller.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Cnidaria posted:

I have one of their GameCube memory cards in my wii at this very moment. I haven't actually used the card in years though so I don't know if my save data is intact. I only use it because I lost my original memory card a long time ago.

Yeah, the only madcatz thing I owned was a GC memory card. I was always worried it was gonna wipe someday cause of how bad I heard their stuff was.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jabarto posted:

I have a MadCatz PS1 memory card that I still use. It's one of those ones that has multiple "pages" worth of storage space you can flip through with a button.

I don't know anything about MadCatz' reputation but that card is the only high-capacity PS1 card I've seen that actually works as advertised, doesn't corrupt your data, and doesn't take a minute and a half to switch between pages.

I still have that very same card in one of my drawers. It served me perfectly fine.

Man, for no rational reason I always figured MadCatz would just doggedly endure. End of a loving era.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Madcatz made some badass memory cards

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Goodbye, MadCatz. I'll never forget your N64 controller that was somehow more uncomfortable than the actual N64 controller. Or the PS2 memory card that failed after two months of use.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Madcatz made some bad memory cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The fact that MadCatz arcade sticks and fightpads are legit the FGC standard, and Hori is the sub-optimal choice favored by a few holdouts, is loving surreal to me. Like something from Bizarro World or a Sliders episode.

e: like, the RAP4 is a good stick, but it is not anywhere near as easy to repair or mod as the TE2+ and those things are relatively important.

MadCatz SF4 and SFxT fightpads were alright, but the PS4 one is bad while Hori's Fighting Commander line is really good.

• Locked thread