Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Problem description: After a system upgrade, everything is fine other than all video in chrome lagging when i move my mouse cursor, be it youtube, netflix, or even gifs.In fact even browser animations like page loading or the spinning wheel in the tab freezes if im moving it at all. Interestingly, it only happens if i'm moving the cursor over another chrome window ie, if i have a video on monitor 2 and minimise chrome in the other window, it's totally fine, soon as i have chrome on that screen again and move my mouse, the video freezes again till I stop.
Other browsers are unaffected, as is media player classic. Moving the cursor around over chrome also seems to be giving cpu spikes, and i an hear the fan speeding up if i do it for a minute or 2.
Video of it in effect - https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3tya54twwz1d1s/2017-04-04%2011.55.34.mp4?dl=0

Attempted fixes: Used driver sweeper, Reinstalling video drivers, mouse drivers, starting chrome with user data cleared, clean reinstall of chrome, removing realtek audio drivers (someone on google said to try it i dunno)

Recent changes: Upgraded mobo/cpu/ram

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Green 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Green 2TB 2.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

edit - cannot loving believe I've been on here this long and forgot to tag my loving thread properly

Shannow fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Update - After many hours of loving about and going all in on a full flatten/reinstall (it was overdue anyway), narrowed it down to one of the gigabyte motherboard utilities, along the lines f auto tune-up/easy tuneup or along those lines.
The issue doesn't seem to occur till after rebooting once installing it, so it was a bit of a dick to nail down.

• Locked thread