Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Veloxyll posted:

And later on if they're more levelled surely they'll be better lords.

Plus, you could just adventure elsewhere in the world than Veygar town.

Edit: Update 1 - Why do they keep giving me bows in these tournaments?

Double Edit: Pretty sure you picked up that tax quest then spent the money.

No, Danaru picked it up. I remember him saying that he'd let CirclMastr deal with handing it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Warband Week - Episode 6

The army grows.

Also Fae, let me know if you want me to re-number these so it flows from the previous numbers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That said, no idea why the Saranids were angry at him.

Drunk Dan said a lot of things.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Well, I just got done watching those six videos back to back. It was a rough start, but I'm impressed by how well things went in the last couple.

I would guess that 'Charge' is how much damage the horse does when it runs someone over.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Can't sleep because shoulder pain, might as well post today's update!

Warband Week - Episode 7

I spend most of the episode riding around slaughtering Sea Raiders.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

Well, I just got done watching those six videos back to back. It was a rough start, but I'm impressed by how well things went in the last couple.

I would guess that 'Charge' is how much damage the horse does when it runs someone over.

Which, to be honest, is a lot less then a lance sticking you in the gut.
So I'd much rather get run over by the horse...

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Doesn't Charge also affect how much momentum the horse maintains when plowing through infantry? I feel like a saddle horse slows down a lot more than a charger when I hit someone.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just watched the fourth episode, the practice exercises in training grounds do give experience to the troops that can benefit from them.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Nord Warriors level up so slowly, because the Trainer skill only affects units with a lower level than the trainer, and they're level 19. They also don't get any kills because they always stay back, so the only experience that goes to them is whatever is split up among the whole party after each battle. And there are only 5-ish Nord Warriors in your 60 people party, so they don't get a lot of those points either.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It also doesn't help that lords always request the second highest tiered troops. They're on the level as Swadian men-at-arms.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I need to catch up on more of the Circlemaster vidoes, I'm still early on where everything is Dan's fault and the arena RNG is screwing him over :v:

Meanwhile, I'm still flailing about like an idiot with a very tiny party making zero progress (I found the bandit lair!... Oh the lord got kidnapped so I can't get paid... Oh he's been freed!.. but nobody knows where he is...), but a hell of a lot of the learning curve seems to be learning the really loving stupid details of the game. "Allright, a Poleaxe! That will make not barely wiffing swings from horseback a hell of a lot easier than my love of one handed stuff." Oh wait all polearms only thrust from horseback because gently caress you I guess :sigh:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Section Z posted:

I need to catch up on more of the Circlemaster vidoes, I'm still early on where everything is Dan's fault and the arena RNG is screwing him over :v:

Meanwhile, I'm still flailing about like an idiot with a very tiny party making zero progress (I found the bandit lair!... Oh the lord got kidnapped so I can't get paid... Oh he's been freed!.. but nobody knows where he is...), but a hell of a lot of the learning curve seems to be learning the really loving stupid details of the game. "Allright, a Poleaxe! That will make not barely wiffing swings from horseback a hell of a lot easier than my love of one handed stuff." Oh wait all polearms only thrust from horseback because gently caress you I guess :sigh:

M&B is just like that, yeah. Don't feel bad about it. It's, in some ways, pretty forgiving too.
Admittedly that scales off as you get later in the game sometimes. Not as bad as some mods that introduce level scaling though, those ones really will screw you in the late game if you lose your army or something.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Section Z posted:

All you really need is a good khergit bow, two bags of arrows, and the biggest two-handed sword you can buy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

krisslanza posted:

M&B is just like that, yeah. Don't feel bad about it. It's, in some ways, pretty forgiving too.
Admittedly that scales off as you get later in the game sometimes. Not as bad as some mods that introduce level scaling though, those ones really will screw you in the late game if you lose your army or something.
Yeah bandits and looters are basically nothing even to my idiot self wiffing every other swords swing and only landing 1/4 of my lance attempts. Then I see all these armies with 3 digit counts able to drive at 6 speed while I'm struggling to keep up with surprisingly fast on foot jerks because 5.1 speed is still slower than 5.5 turbo deserters. I'm finally looking into hiring NPCs just to scream at them "LEARN THE GO FAST SKILLS"

I'm going to miss not having to replace units constantly, once I start trying to take on bigger things.

wiegieman posted:

All you really need is a good khergit bow, two bags of arrows, and the biggest two-handed sword you can buy.

That sounds like great advice, if not for the fact I am a huge baby who likes sword and board when I'm not on a horse :v: Spamming arrows during drivebys feels super boring anyways even while the arrows last. So I expect if I ever graduate to siege combat it's gonna be a rough time beyond just how much of a meat grinder those apparently are.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Siege combat in M&B is ridiculous due to how much some castles skews it in favour of the defender.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MiddleOne posted:

Siege combat in M&B is ridiculous due to how much some castles skews it in favour of the defender.

Bring Huskarls, then sit back and relax. A decent number of them can overcome any garrison.

Section Z posted:

That sounds like great advice, if not for the fact I am a huge baby who likes sword and board when I'm not on a horse :v: Spamming arrows during drivebys feels super boring anyways even while the arrows last. So I expect if I ever graduate to siege combat it's gonna be a rough time beyond just how much of a meat grinder those apparently are.

Once you have a bunch of heavy armor on, you stop really needing a shield. Besides, a big enough sword will kill everyone before they get close enough to hurt you anyway.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Bring Huskarls, then sit back and relax. A decent number of them can overcome any garrison.

As long as the defender doesn't have a bunch of Huskarls or you're fighting Rhodoks.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nord units are basically cheat mode for sieges, since no one can use horses and Nords never use them anyway. Which is also why they're the best and all other kingdoms are chumps. Now we can fight as warriors! Man to man. It is the basis of all combat. Only a fool trusts his life to a horse!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least knights aren't armed with lances anymore and won't try and scale the walls and hump the enemies while uselessly trying to poke with their long sticks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

Once you have a bunch of heavy armor on, you stop really needing a shield. Besides, a big enough sword will kill everyone before they get close enough to hurt you anyway.

That sounds great, but "Just bring the Tier 6 unit to stomp everyone capping out at Tier 5" is definitely above my paygrade right now, even ignoring how much experience it would probably take to rank those guys up. Not having to worry about stab wounds or arrows once I can afford to wear fat enough armor sounds encouraging though.

Nords were on my to do list of becoming pals with once I got my feet under me in Generic Swandia. I saw what those sea raiders did, I'm gonna stick to people who don't drink from skulls until I've got things a bit more figured out.

Danaru posted:

Nord units are basically cheat mode for sieges, since no one can use horses and Nords never use them anyway. Which is also why they're the best and all other kingdoms are chumps. Now we can fight as warriors! Man to man. It is the basis of all combat. Only a fool trusts his life to a horse!
I agree with 90% of this wonderful mindset. But how do I go fast without horse? Also I've already seen people use horses against me but since they were in small numbers they were kind of chumps rather than mowing down my newbie mob.

I guess that's what they get for trusting their life to a horse, I just use mine so I can stab more people faster without dying to a mass of no friendly fire swords swinging through eachother to get me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

I agree with 90% of this wonderful mindset. But how do I go fast without horse? Also I've already seen people use horses against me but since they were in small numbers they were kind of chumps rather than mowing down my newbie mob.

I guess that's what they get for trusting their life to a horse, I just use mine so I can stab more people faster without dying to a mass of no friendly fire swords swinging through eachother to get me.

Designate a party-member as pathfinder and load up on horses in your inventory.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MiddleOne posted:

Designate a party-member as pathfinder and load up on horses in your inventory.

That's exactly why I'm finally going "Hey, I should probably start hiring NPCs to offload more gotta go fast stats and 'find the loving target' stats". But that's not so much help once the battle starts and I want to introduce my sword to somebody's face faster than on foot or holding position does :v:

I'm sure once I leave the bandit and deserter stomping kiddie pool, rushing the enemy on horseback so they go all stupid and half of them turn their backs on my angry mob will only get me killed. So I may as well enjoy it while it lasts before I gotta go slow :sigh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
To be fair I don't mean never use horses, swinging axes and longswords on horseback is my bread and butter, I just mean don't count on always having one :v: Some day during battle poor ol' Freckles is going to think of ants and die of a heart attack, and you better be ready to bring the heat and the noise when it happens.

Incidentally one of my favourite battle moves is to hurl ahead and specifically murder all the horses of my enemies. They DO trust their lives to their horse, so when the ocean of angry nords finally crests the hill, they don't stand a chance. Suck it, Swadia

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

To be fair I don't mean never use horses, swinging axes and longswords on horseback is my bread and butter, I just mean don't count on always having one :v: Some day during battle poor ol' Freckles is going to think of ants and die of a heart attack, and you better be ready to bring the heat and the noise when it happens.

Incidentally one of my favourite battle moves is to hurl ahead and specifically murder all the horses of my enemies. They DO trust their lives to their horse, so when the ocean of angry nords finally crests the hill, they don't stand a chance. Suck it, Swadia

If I were to pick a role in a Fantasy Army it would be deliberately loving with the enemy units that piss my side off most, so this sounds like a great idea.

Also, what are your thoughts on Sarranid? If I ever man up and crush the reputed nerd lord Vaegirs, my stupid ideas factory is thinking about pissing off the Saranid Sultans but leaving them intact as something to always have around to raid. Because "Clearly if they are on the opposite side of the map, it would be a huge pain in the dick for them to lay siege to me up in the frozen North with their good expensive armies :downs: But I'll only need to pay for the one so it's totally economical on my end :pseudo:"

I want to have my cake and eat it too being buddies with half the planet, while stealing the lunch money of people off in the corner basically. But I've got a long loving way to go before even thinking about raiding people who can afford armor.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly don't remember meeting any Sarranid lords. I generally stay in Vaegir territory like a tornado of swords, occasionally stopping by the nord/swadian cities to sell my crap and recruit dudes.

I have an extremely specific playstyle you all got to see a taste of, which is "The North belongs to Dan." Everyone else can fight over the rest, if it has snow, it's mine

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

But now that we have two enterprises in Vaegir land, attacking them would be a bad move, because that kills our income from there until we own the cities.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If only there had been two out of six kingdoms that liked us at the end of my turn, then we could have built stuff there instead of taking the path of most resistance and blaming other people when this somehow leads to resistance

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tamba posted:

But now that we have two enterprises in Vaegir land, attacking them would be a bad move, because that kills our income from there until we own the cities.

Sounds like they've volunteered to be first!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just began watching Circlmastr's videos. IIRC, you can order your tournament teammates as if they were your army, so you can clown 3+ teams battles by huddling in a corner while people with the wrong clothes kill each other.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

If only there had been two out of six kingdoms that liked us at the end of my turn, then we could have built stuff there instead of taking the path of most resistance and blaming other people when this somehow leads to resistance

The problem is Rivacheg has by far the most lucrative investment option, and given its location it very rarely gets attacked so there's little downtime. Pissing off the Vaegirs just robs you of that when it should always be your first investment.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

To be fair, that is the entirely point of a castle :haw:
Although some castle layouts are really, really bad for the attacker which is... I mean, the point. But on the other hand, unlike a real siege, you can't actually siege out your opponent sometimes. Even if they have no food, they'll still refuse to surrender.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Warband Week - Epsidoe 8

One of the rarest events in the game happens in this episode, thanks to Danaru.

My main problem with castle stuff is being able to hold it afterward. It just seems like you can't ever have the 150+ troops needed to both capture the castle and garrison it afterward.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Section Z posted:

Unless it's changed, there's a chest on the ground behind your spawn point that let's you access your inventory. You can access it while riding past it on horseback too. If you put your arrows back in your inventory, and immediately put them back on, you'll have a full quiver again.

Archery on horseback isn't actually that hard. But most of the time I'm just trying to kill the enemies horses while leading them in circles. There's nothing like killing a Swabian Knights horse, and watching him get curb stomped by a ton of farmers while he tries to push them with his lance.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Tenebrais posted:

Just watched the fourth episode, the practice exercises in training grounds do give experience to the troops that can benefit from them.

"Sparring Practice" is the thing that lets you train party members. Although you do need to beat them in a slapfight before they'll deign to listen to you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

syzpid posted:

Unless it's changed, there's a chest on the ground behind your spawn point that let's you access your inventory. You can access it while riding past it on horseback too. If you put your arrows back in your inventory, and immediately put them back on, you'll have a full quiver again.

Archery on horseback isn't actually that hard. But most of the time I'm just trying to kill the enemies horses while leading them in circles. There's nothing like killing a Swabian Knights horse, and watching him get curb stomped by a ton of farmers while he tries to push them with his lance.

Oh, so that's what that wooden crate does. Can you... Can you bring it with you to the fight? Otherwise that sounds like it's mostly for if you decide to camp out near where you spawned. Probably a godsend for those sieges, unless your NPCs will run out of ammo and awkwardly refuse to use it.

Also yeah, I expect if I put more investment into it that horseback archery indeed would not be hard at all since you are just doing drive by shooting. But the issue at hand was it not being as cool as drive by face stabbing :black101: Feeling pretty good about harassing a 10 pack of Nord warrior deserters who demanded the lunch money of me and my at the time bouncing back from failure 15ish Swadian Militia with no losses on my end...

But yeah, only the braindead nature of AI ignoring a line of Swadian murder hobos holding 20 feet away from them taking potshots (and usually missing) while I rode circles around them made that turn out well. "Holy gently caress these guys actually know how to block when I try to stab their face in passing :ohdear:" The real tragedy was getting gently caress all for loot. "All right! Ten well armed and cool looking Tier 5 vikings!... A garbage shield of a type none of them had, some rocks, a rusty nord sword-YOU WERE ALL USING AXES (And I have the wounds to prove it)."

Ceebees posted:

"Sparring Practice" is the thing that lets you train party members. Although you do need to beat them in a slapfight before they'll deign to listen to you.
Yeah you get some solid low to mid double digit count experience, but you have to actually WIN or you get gently caress all. So I've been sticking to vs 3 recruits to desperately get my replacement villagers at least up to "Guaranteed to at least have shoes" before throwing them into a real fight. But given how long even that can take I can't imagine using it to level people up for higher ranks.

Exp gains seem wildly inconsistent though. I actually managed to win vs 4 a couple times but then doing a vs 3 right after got twice the experience :v: Though it seems at least skewed towards winning more = better.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 24, 2017

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Had a quick poke at the wiki, and it seems that every companion has both a set of other companions and a set of conditions that they dislike. Matheld and Ymira both hate each other, hated when some of the other companions were sent out as emissaries, and had nobody they actually liked in the group.

So it's really no wonder that they both left, CirclMastr. :v:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

My main problem with castle stuff is being able to hold it afterward. It just seems like you can't ever have the 150+ troops needed to both capture the castle and garrison it afterward.

Join a faction, suck up to the king and those who don't like him(use a companion's connections to find out who doesn't like their liege). Marry someone with lots of land and an unfavorable opinion of the king, fight the wars until you get awarded a newly conquered city(easier if you make lots of friends, they will support you receiving the fief), then revolt.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Warband Week - Episode 9

The Rise and Fall of The First Reactor

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Leave those poor peasants alone you meanie! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I don't really like companions, but they are massively useful as skill monkeys. All of my companions focus on 1-2 party skills and Trainer, so I can get newly recruited low level troops up to reasonable effectiveness quickly.

In the game I started that this inspired me to, I can get first two upgrades in 2 days... :v:

• Locked thread