Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

general anime posted:

Has anyone ever read IT? always heard there was an orgy lol

the kids have an orgy and then end up talk to the space turtle that carries the universe on its back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

IT is hands down one of the scariest books i read as a teenager but stephen king has no idea how to finish a story

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trying to jack off posted:

IT is hands down one of the scariest books i read as a teenager but stephen king has no idea how to finish a story

Ya. His endings are all terrible

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I've always hated the way that The Stand ended. It kind of made it pointless that the Colorado crew infiltrated Vegas in the end.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I never saw the original IT mini series event due to my religious upbringing in Texas.

I wanna see the new movie by my girlfriend says I should watch the old one first so I will know what she's complaining about.

I'm not familiar with the source material and I don't want to sully my movie watching experience with expectations.

1408 is a good hangover movie.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I liked how The Regulators ended.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I never saw the original IT mini series event due to my religious upbringing in Texas.

I wanna see the new movie by my girlfriend says I should watch the old one first so I will know what she's complaining about.

I'm not familiar with the source material and I don't want to sully my movie watching experience with expectations.

1408 is a good hangover movie.

Honestly, this whole "preparing to bitch and moan about a movie almost entirely sight unseen" is one of the most insufferable things a person can do.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

unless something terrible happens the new IT can only be better than whats been done already

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

even though the 2001 planet of the apes remake was bad the amount of people that complained solely about no statue of liberty was insane to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Honestly, this whole "preparing to bitch and moan about a movie almost entirely sight unseen" is one of the most insufferable things a person can do.

Welcome to pop culture

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

its the fuckin pits

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Running Man was fun and I need to watch it again at some point.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
STAND BY ME

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Plutonis posted:

Dreamcatcher wasn't a particularity good movie but it was so ludicrous it owned

has anyone read dreamcatcher i wonder if it's nearly as insane as the movie

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

has anyone read dreamcatcher i wonder if it's nearly as insane as the movie

yes, the ending is completely different. the autistic guy isnt an alien

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed most adaptations of his novels, but as fun as Needful Things was, I really deep down wanted to see the two ladies fighting over Elvis and the big church vs. church brawl.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

IT is shaping up to be a monster

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Plutonis posted:

lmao oh poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

:how:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Uhhh

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

:staredog:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

:popeye:

:aatrek:

Captain Finance
Aug 21, 2005
I haven't seen one of these in a while, but my distant memory agrees that Dead Zone and Misery were very good.

Shawshank is probably the best.

I recall liking needful things a lot in the theater, but I haven't seen a frame of it since it came out.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Plutonis posted:

lmao at the haunted look on the face of the kid on the right, his fist still trying to clutch an ice cream cone that he long since dropped

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Plutonis posted:

.....oh dear.

Class Warcraft posted:

lmao at the haunted look on the face of the kid on the right, his fist still trying to clutch an ice cream cone that he long since dropped

[richarddreyfusmoderatorvoice]

Something had happened that day, and I lost something I didn't know I had. I have never regained it since, but it took me a while when I would stop crying whenever I was close to a woman. The only thing I saw until the medication kicked in was the animalistic, hungry looks in the other boys' eyes...something was wrong, but they didn't know it, but somehow not knowing was even more horrifying than knowing they had lost something just like me. Like somehow we had stared into the abyss and came back with your typical Richard Laymon novel.

[/standbymenarrator]

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
This thread is now about Stephen King books based on movies.

Well.

There's Cycle of the Werewolf I guess.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Starshark posted:

This thread is now about Stephen King books based on movies.

Well.

There's Cycle of the Werewolf I guess.

Where does Danse Macabre fall into this? Outside of being a classic example of 'the memory cheats when you don't have the source material on hand?'

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I think I'll pass on this one.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I wish HBO would remake it, but I enjoyed the miniseries of The Stand.

Shawshank Redemption is the best one though.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Shawshank was just based on a short story......wasn't it? I wonder how much of the movie was original.....because Frank Darabont wrote the screenplay. Oh, and IT terrified me as a kid. Then I realized that if you get past the first portion of the film.....it's not even that scary. And the ending was lovely as possible. That new one looks pretty terrifying though.

As far as horror based upon books go......I'd love to see Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons adapted into a mini-series. I don't much care for horror books.....but this book was great and would be awesome source material. AMC is actually adapting The Terror by Simmons as well. I'm sure that will be good as well. Mostly......I'm excited that Hyperion is finally getting a series greenlight. One of the best books of all time.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I'm watching The Dead Zone. This movie kicks rear end

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I'm watching The Dead Zone. This movie kicks rear end

I didn't watch the later seasons, but I actually thought the show was pretty good too. Can't beat Walken, of course. He later did a similar role as Ed Glosser, trivial psychic!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Shawshank was just based on a short story......wasn't it? I wonder how much of the movie was original.....because Frank Darabont wrote the screenplay.

It's based on the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and as I recall it was the same story except that the book went through about six wardens and Red was a white guy with red hair. And the ending is just slightly better than the movie's. There's no moment with Red and Andy meeting on the beach. It just ends with Red saying, "I hope."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

It's based on the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and as I recall it was the same story except that the book went through about six wardens and Red was a white guy with red hair. And the ending is just slightly better than the movie's. There's no moment with Red and Andy meeting on the beach. It just ends with Red saying, "I hope."

I heard that the studio wanted the ending that the film got. To be honest, I kind of wanted a nice happy ending for Red.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I prefer this ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EJdxTTwi7Y

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Vagabundo posted:

I heard that the studio wanted the ending that the film got. To be honest, I kind of wanted a nice happy ending for Red.

I think I heard that test audiences hated the original ending so they added the shot on the beach. TBH I like the ambiguity of the original ending. Plus the whole point was that Red learned to hope again :unsmith: , not that they bro out happily ever after.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hahaha thank you so much for posting this, it's one of my all time favorite interwebs videos and I had completely forgotten about it.

Though it's better without the spoilery title.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

I think I heard that test audiences hated the original ending so they added the shot on the beach. TBH I like the ambiguity of the original ending. Plus the whole point was that Red learned to hope again :unsmith: , not that they bro out happily ever after.

Ah yes, this is probably what I was thinking of. I feel that it's one of those times where a test audience probably had a valid point.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Needful Things is a legit great movie. The woman fight was drawn out and brutal as hell and Max Von Sydow does an excellent performance as shopkeeper Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Needful Things is a legit great movie. The woman fight was drawn out and brutal as hell and Max Von Sydow does an excellent performance as shopkeeper Satan.

Fun fact: that character is the same character that Matthew McConaughey plays in the Dark Tower.

• Locked thread