Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Hi Goons,

My foundation has a leak around the cast iron sewer pipe that goes through the wall. I made a video for you. It only leaks in the springtime,and I have lots of nice new French drains put in 2 years ago. Looks like the previous homeowners tried and failed to patch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC07-CgluI8

It's about 3 feet deep, but I would prefer not to dig the outside up if I don't have to. I've pretty good at DIY around the house, and I do have a 80 gallon air compressor and a hand chisel attachment so I I need to chip out around it to do a repair I can manage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dr Cox MD posted:

This is a sewer pipe, not your water main? Does the water leaking out around it appear to be clean(er)?

French drains and spring time. Does the leak volume increase when you have rain?

It only leaks in April when it rains. It's totally dry the rest of the year. It's definitely the sewer pipe.

Edit: There was no sump pump in the house until I installed one.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
No gutters, it's massive runoff that is bringing the water to the foundation. Before we had landscaping done that flat area near the house was a hill sloping right into the house. When we had it leveled, we had a French drain added right in the middle of the flat area. They even put connections to the drain where a future gutter could be added.

The hope was that the drain would solve the problems. However, the water just sits there on the top.

I could have them come back and install vertical connections that link the surface to the drain

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just to follow up. I had my friend who owns a landscaping company dig up the entire sewer pipe.

The first 10 feet from the house was Cast iron pipe. the next 15 fee was "tar pipe", folllowed by some proper white PVC, then more tar pipe, then Green PVC. I'm sure I'm getting the name wrong but whatever.

All that is gone now, replaced by my plumber friend who also raised the pipe where it goes through the wall a few inches for better flow. He also fixed the crack from the outside, and replaced the last of the cast iron stack with white PVC.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It looked just like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNCNda832Ns

• Locked thread