Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

Chill.

Also people who don't read the instructions/tutorials for a game and then get frustrated that they don't know how to play. Like, dude, if you'd just take the minute to read the instructions you'd be having a lot more fun right now.

People who complain the game isn't telling them where they need to go or what they need to do when the game is literally telling them right then.

"Where am I meant to go this is loving stupid!"
*completely ignores the big arrow or waypoint or whatever that's leading them right to where they need to go*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On a similar note. People who act like they are an authority on a game because they watched an LP. Especially if it's something they say is bad, and they are arguing with people who have actually played it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Parking related: people who recklessly pull through spaces in parking lots. It's one thing to drive across an empty lot with no cars or people around, that's generally a non-issue. But you get these assholes who just speed right on through between other parked cars into lanes where people are driving/walking. They're clearly not paying attention and I'm amazed I've never seen an accident for all the times it happens in my area.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The American "Canadians say 'aboot'" meme. Anyone with ears can clearly hear they say "aboat" I mean what the gently caress :confused:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Jerry Cotton posted:

The American "Canadians say 'aboot'" meme. Anyone with ears can clearly hear they say "aboat" I mean what the gently caress :confused:

This was discussed at length with a bunch of people from around the world I worked with and it was determined we actually emphasize the second syllable much more so the "ow" sound is more pronounced and drawn out, and as such makes the word almost sound like "ab-ow-oot" which I guess for those who don't say it like that makes them think we're saying "aboot". But it does change regionally, like how people from Newfoundland sound like super redneck Irish.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

super redneck Irish.

But you repeat yourself.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Slime posted:

People who complain the game isn't telling them where they need to go or what they need to do when the game is literally telling them right then.

"Where am I meant to go this is loving stupid!"
*completely ignores the big arrow or waypoint or whatever that's leading them right to where they need to go*

This or like, boss fights where they're complaining that "IT'S SO HARD THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE" and completely ignore the huge, glowing, obnoxious weak spot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

People who like to stop their carts in the middle of the grocery store aisle, which effectively blocks it.

You don't drive down the middle of the road, why drive down the middle of the aisle? Move over you poo poo.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have literally heard people defend intentionally chewing open-mouthed because of this bonkers magical thinking by which, and I'm paraphrasing, "air mixing with the food as you chew it enhances its flavor." That's absolutely not how that works, but you have to appreciate the sort of logic a mildly inventive and utterly selfish 5-year-old child might employ to avoid having to change their behavior for the sake of courtesy.

Sounds like a perversion of the reason Japanese people slurp noodles.

Also, here's a peeve:
Don't loving sneeze in your hand and then use that same hand to hold on to the railing on the bus. Fucko.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Pedestrians who cross the road diagonally.

Like their destination is diagonally on the other side of the road. But instead of crossing the road quickly and then walking up to their destination via the sidewalk. They will instead cross the road diagonally leading to more cars having to slow down and wait for them to cross.

People who at a pedestrian crossing hit the button and then cross on a "red man" anyway (because there are no cars close by). Leaving the cars waiting at an empty crossing as the pedestrian has already crossed by the time the light changes.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Why you shouldn't drive slowly in the left lane

This was discussed a few pages back, I'm not digging through to find the original poster to quote. But I just saw this video on Facebook and figured it was worth sharing. I honestly didn't even know that travel in the left lane was ok anywhere (in my state even), on a two lane highway the right lane is travel, the left is passing. On a three lane highway, it's merging lane, travel lane, passing lane. Four lanes, and you have merging, slower, faster, passing. People who just pop on the highway, and get as far left as possible are the worst. I think the poster mentioned driving 5 mph over the speed limit, and that's fast enough, no one needs to be driving faster than that. You don't get to dictate the flow of traffic based on your personal idea of what is an appropriate speed; choosing an arbitrary number like 5 mph over the limit, and anyone who has picked a different arbitrary number 7, 10, 15 or whatever over is wrong. By the law, you are all speeding, acting like you are some speed vigilante is who is in the right by breaking the law just the perfect amount it insane. Hanging out in the left lane and having people who are trying to pass you get built up behind you is impeding the flow of traffic, no matter what the speed is. Drive in the right lane, pass on the left. Speed up if you are committing to passing if you have to, and get the gently caress back over.

I know it's been discussed, but this is a serious pet peeve of mine. Drivers in my state tend to be really good highway drivers, there are long stretches of 2 lane highways with speed limits up to 80. The flow of traffic can be rather variable depending where you are with such a high speed limit, so everyone knows to drive on the right, pass of the left if you feel like moving faster than the vehicle ahead of you. Having road tripped across the northern corridor of the USA, I've noticed this deteriorates as you go east, a bit to the west in Washington too, but they're pretty good until you get close to the coast. Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, and Minnesota have great highway drivers who know what they are doing, it's worse once you hit Wisconsin, iowa, and Illinois, Ohio sucks, Pennsylvania has loving garbage highway drivers (probably the worst), and New York and New England aren't much better than Pennsylvania. The smoothest and least stressful highway driving occurs when you use the left lane exclusively for passing, and if you camp out in that lane you are loving it up for the rest of the drivers on the road.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Seems like the variable for good highway driving isn't being in the right lane unless you're passing, but being the kind of driver who is (or more seemingly, isn't adapting to how the rest of the drivers around him/her are driving.

Like, that Vox video has a scenario of a driver "having" to weave though two lanes. The correct thing is simply to stay in your lane and not weave like a madman.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Apr 21, 2017

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
People that start sentences with "Seriously!?" And punctuate sentences with the words "right now".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Catberry posted:

Like their destination is diagonally on the other side of the road. But instead of crossing the road quickly and then walking up to their destination via the sidewalk. They will instead cross the road diagonally leading to more cars having to slow down and wait for them to cross.

People who at a pedestrian crossing hit the button and then cross on a "red man" anyway (because there are no cars close by). Leaving the cars waiting at an empty crossing as the pedestrian has already crossed by the time the light changes.
People who are in such a hurry to get home and watch children's cartoons and eat chicken nuggets in their bare apartments that they bother to micromanage how many seconds they spend waiting at a red light. Pedestrians come first, always. This is war.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pedestrians come first (all though you could have fooled me with how often people practically run me over when I'm going into a store) but that doesn't mean they aren't capable of being assholes and breaking the rules.

This is less of a little thing and more of a child services thing, but people who jaywalk on busy roads with like 45 mph speed limits with a small child and they are pulling them by the arm so the kid runs faster, holy poo poo I wish I could say I have only seen this happen a few times.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Catberry posted:

Pedestrians who know they shouldn't be crossing the road at that time, so they run halfway across, then slow to a saunter for the other half.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Pedestrians who know they shouldn't be crossing the road at that time, so they run halfway across, then slow to a saunter for the other half.

I do this but I do it when I'm at a crossing. it's because i want to get off the road because even at a crossing i don't trust drivers but also i'm too lazy to actually hurry

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sunswipe posted:

When people hold their hand up like a crossing guard at you while they jaywalk.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When people say "I don't eat breakfast" like it's some crowning achievement and not like you are depriving yourself of all the funnest foods to eat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think jaywalking is fine but if you have to run to get across safely or if traffic has to slow down to let you cross then you're doing it wrong.

veni veni veni posted:

This is less of a little thing and more of a child services thing, but people who jaywalk on busy roads with like 45 mph speed limits with a small child and they are pulling them by the arm so the kid runs faster, holy poo poo I wish I could say I have only seen this happen a few times.

I've seen people jaywalking through traffic while they were pushing babies in strollers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always hate those stupid memes that are like "Oh god, I had to go to do a thing, I had to put on pants! FWP amirite!" I always feel weird when I'm not fully dressed and showered even if I have nowhere to be, so it just brings total slobs to mind. It's nearly always trousers too, and you just know their the types of people who would probably stick to their leather couch. The whole "bachelors hang out in their apartments in their underwear" is an odd thing for me, because even on a nice day, you'd get cold at certain times of it. Maybe it's because I'm in Britain where we're used to cold weather...

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BioEnchanted posted:

I always hate those stupid memes that are like "Oh god, I had to go to do a thing, I had to put on pants! FWP amirite!" I always feel weird when I'm not fully dressed and showered even if I have nowhere to be, so it just brings total slobs to mind. It's nearly always trousers too, and you just know their the types of people who would probably stick to their leather couch. The whole "bachelors hang out in their apartments in their underwear" is an odd thing for me, because even on a nice day, you'd get cold at certain times of it. Maybe it's because I'm in Britain where we're used to cold weather...

I don't really understand the whole epic meme culture thing as a whole. Mustaches, bacon, not wearing pants, zombies, etc. Why do people get so excited to show off that they're unoriginal?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol if you wear pants in your own home

I mean I do the showering part, I just don't get dressed until I gotta be somewhere. Clothes are, by-and-large, less comfortable than no clothes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

Why do people get so excited to show off that they're unoriginal?

It's less that they are unoriginal, but that they have something in common with a large group or society in general. Ask yourself the same but opposite question: why do people get so excited to show off that they aren't part of the greater group?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol if you wear pants in your own home

I mean I do the showering part, I just don't get dressed until I gotta be somewhere. Clothes are, by-and-large, less comfortable than no clothes.

I disagree, I prefer to be dressed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BioEnchanted posted:

Im in california and its always hot inside. Im in boxers most of the time at home.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
If I looked like BioEnchanted naked then I'd be sure to wear more clothes too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

It's less that they are unoriginal, but that they have something in common with a large group or society in general. Ask yourself the same but opposite question: why do people get so excited to show off that they aren't part of the greater group?

Because the outliers of the world are more interesting and people want to be thought of as interesting?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

Because the outliers of the world are more interesting and people want to be thought of as interesting?

If everyone agreed with those two points, there wouldn't be many people who get so excited to show off that they are part of the greater group. Depending on your culture, uniqueness might not be praised over conformity.

Content: when a group of people come into a place that can't possibly seat them together, so there's always one or two people sitting nearby and having to talk through others to get to the rest of the group. Dammit, if you've got six people and your options are "four people here and two people there", go somewhere else!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

If everyone agreed with those two points, there wouldn't be many people who get so excited to show off that they are part of the greater group. Depending on your culture, uniqueness might not be praised over conformity.

Fair enough. I have plenty of boring friends who think gyros are "a little out there" and use the word "weird" as a pejorative.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I've seen groups of over a dozen show up at little restaurants while travelling. These places generally have random furniture the singular staff member brought in from home. There was one place I visited frequently in Belize that could fit 25 at 5 tables. They swarm the place, get annoyed the seating arrangement can't accommodate them, and then got mad when the guy running the place took too long to make all their dishes himself. But they were adamant that they all has to try the super authentic place all at the same time. This place usually saw fewer than 10 people at a time.

The fact that they audibly complained about it where he could hear it annoyed me the most. He was an awesome guy and didn't deserve the poo poo he got from that group.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Anyone who inserts the phrase "Everyone's entitled to an opinion" into a discussion, especially a politician in a televised interview or debate.

It's a truism, it goes without saying. It literally goes without saying, there's genuinely no point in saying those words out loud and it adds absolutely nothing to any discussion. All it does is waste time and deflect discussion away from the opinion which was just expressed which I guess is the actual reason that certain politicians seems to say it so often.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Anyone who inserts the phrase "Everyone's entitled to an opinion" into a discussion, especially a politician in a televised interview or debate.

It's a truism, it goes without saying. It literally goes without saying, there's genuinely no point in saying those words out loud and it adds absolutely nothing to any discussion. All it does is waste time and deflect discussion away from the opinion which was just expressed which I guess is the actual reason that certain politicians seems to say it so often.

But that's just your opinion.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"I'm just sayin'!"

I know you're talking. You don't have to verbally establish that you're saying something. Oh it was just because you're about to say something racist, gotcha.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not leaving the room to take a phone call. I'll turn down the music and be quiet if you just need to give a couple of quick answers, but as soon as it becomes clear that this is going to be an extended discussion, go to another room so the rest of us can get on with whatever we're doing.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tiggum posted:

Not leaving the room to take a phone call. I'll turn down the music and be quiet if you just need to give a couple of quick answers, but as soon as it becomes clear that this is going to be an extended discussion, go to another room so the rest of us can get on with whatever we're doing.

Then after getting off the phone, they proceed to tell you what the conversation was about. I already know what you talked about, I heard the entire thing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Just answer all the questions they ask on the phone as if they're asking you. They'll leave fast enough.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

People who end every sentence with "so."

I was going to go to the grocery store, so. But then they were out of bread, so.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Two semi related things:

-People who throw their damp towel over the shower curtain rod when there's a PERFECTLY GOOD empty towel rack right there that they just pulled the towel from to use it.

-People who just hop right out of the shower as soon as they turn off the water and soak the bath mat and get water all over the floor, for me to discover with my socks. By the time I'm ready to step out, the only part of me that's still wet is the soles of my feet because I am capable of using a towel while still standing in the confines of the bathtub.

...I'm getting unreasonably angry just thinking about people doing these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
In regards to Game of Thrones:

Whenever anyone is talking about the show and refers to Daenerys Targaryen as Khaleesi, as if it was her name. Khaleesi is just the Dothraki term for queen. It is not, nor has it ever been her name. People didn't start referring to Joffrey as "Your Grace", but referring to Daenerys as "Khaleesi" is pretty much doing the same thing.

It's expounded by people who are now actually naming their daughters Khaleesi. Which is another thing that bothers me (naming your children after pop culture characters.)

• Locked thread