Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

People putting nasty poo poo on desks and tables in public places. I'm really sure the next person who uses the picnic table or phone desk will appreciate your stinky bare feet or baby's used diaper. I keep a wet-nap foil pack in my wallet for this sort of thing and I hate that I have to do it but you nasty rear end motherfuckers leave me no choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Look next to the unflavored seltzer.

DAMMIT

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah if you eat yoghurt in any way other than a spoon I won't even consider you human.

What about on a slice of bread with some jam?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Who eats a slice of bread with some jam with a spoon?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Yeah nice try dude but nobody buys that you're human anymore you can go back to Neptune and admit the conquest failed

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
At the airport: people who sit at the phone charging seating who aren't using the charger. Yeah, it's a seat, but maybe sit at one of the 35 empty benches so that someone who wants to charge their phone has a spot available.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

queserasera posted:

People putting nasty poo poo on desks and tables in public places. I'm really sure the next person who uses the picnic table or phone desk will appreciate your stinky bare feet or baby's used diaper. I keep a wet-nap foil pack in my wallet for this sort of thing and I hate that I have to do it but you nasty rear end motherfuckers leave me no choice.

I saw a person sit a diapered toddler on the counter at the Starbucks near my job, and I was seemingly the only person on line who was appropriately horrified. I could barely conceal my :catstare: face.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This might sound goony but babies and little kids are loving disgusting and it's not cute if they're naked or pooping themselves and I feel like it has to be a survival mechanism for parents to believe it is and constantly talk about it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Aesop Poprock posted:

This might sound goony but babies and little kids are loving disgusting and it's not cute if they're naked or pooping themselves and I feel like it has to be a survival mechanism for parents to believe it is and constantly talk about it

Honestly I wish this were a more socially acceptable opinion to have. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mouse Dresser posted:

At the airport: people who sit at the phone charging seating who aren't using the charger. Yeah, it's a seat, but maybe sit at one of the 35 empty benches so that someone who wants to charge their phone has a spot available.

I guess this is a corollary, but I saw a family where they were charging their ipad, but instead of sitting where the charging station was, they were all sitting like 6 seats over. So this ipad is just sitting their charging and taking up a seat. It was busy and there were barely any empty seats, and here's an ipad on a seat all by itself.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jfc this. Smash cake all over baby's face! How cute, he's absolutely filthy! My toddler nieces and nephews have a dog. They share toys with the dog. Parents say, "oh they're bound to get dog germs anyway!" Then heard one of the girls describing in baby talk how she was pooping in her diaper, while crouched in the corner.

Kids are so loving nasty.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bird in a Blender posted:

I guess this is a corollary, but I saw a family where they were charging their ipad, but instead of sitting where the charging station was, they were all sitting like 6 seats over. So this ipad is just sitting their charging and taking up a seat. It was busy and there were barely any empty seats, and here's an ipad on a seat all by itself.

Move the ipad onto the floor and sit down. Quite often the only reason so many of these little obnoxious things keep happening is that the people doing them never experience any pushback. Push the idiot who just got off the metro and has to stop and "get their bearings" blocking everyone behind them. Elbow past with a little firm but polite "excuse me" for idiots who stand on the left side of escalators. These people need some gentle corrections or they'll never learn.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

queserasera posted:

I keep a wet-nap foil pack in my wallet for this sort of thing...

"Oh yeah, Baby, I carry protection."

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Guy asked me how to open the bathroom door because it has a handle that doesn't turn. I told him to juts push the door because the handle won't turn. Then asks "Are you sure?"

How the gently caress would I not be sure. I only work here and use that bathroom every day.

I can't stand it when people ask you a question and you provided a pretty firm answer and they almost reflexively reply "Are you SURE!??!?" I have the occasional student who does this, and it's not even when they ask a question related to the material per se.

"Mr. Dungsroman I am almost done with my rough draft is it ok to turn it in first thing before class tomorrow?"

"Yes that's fine."

"ARE YOU SURE?!?!"

"...Yes?" Like why does that need a certainty check. It's not a huge deal and it's not like the student asked me a hard fact like what the third phase of mitosis is called.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I can't stand it when people ask you a question and you provided a pretty firm answer and they almost reflexively reply "Are you SURE!??!?" I have the occasional student who does this, and it's not even when they ask a question related to the material per se.

"Mr. Dungsroman I am almost done with my rough draft is it ok to turn it in first thing before class tomorrow?"

"Yes that's fine."

"ARE YOU SURE?!?!"

"...Yes?" Like why does that need a certainty check. It's not a huge deal and it's not like the student asked me a hard fact like what the third phase of mitosis is called.

"What did I just say?" :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Move the Ipad on the floor?

e: Alternatively, sit on the Ipad.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
steal the ipad

they'll never catch you from 6 seats away

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actually, alert security about a suspicious device left on its own - it has wires coming out of it!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I can't stand it when people ask you a question and you provided a pretty firm answer and they almost reflexively reply "Are you SURE!??!?"

Related: when people refuse to believe you when you describe something they have personally never seen. Like last night I told my friend to be careful not to move the minibar stuff since in most modern hotels there are sensors that will activate when you take something from its spot and charge it to your room. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said that isn't real and laughed at me for not knowing how minibars work. I even showed him proof that they exist and are used in a ton of hotels but he just said "well i still haven't seen them, they must be super rare".

Why would I make something as mundane as that up?

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
When people put their bags on the seats at bus stops or train stations and just stand next to them. I dont care about the unneccessarily occupied seat, what pisses me off is how when your standing this close to the seats youre shoving your disgusting rear end in the face of everyone who is actually sitting down. Your rear end is at eye level when you stand next to these seats jfc

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Related: when people refuse to believe you when you describe something they have personally never seen. Like last night I told my friend to be careful not to move the minibar stuff since in most modern hotels there are sensors that will activate when you take something from its spot and charge it to your room. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said that isn't real and laughed at me for not knowing how minibars work. I even showed him proof that they exist and are used in a ton of hotels but he just said "well i still haven't seen them, they must be super rare".

Why would I make something as mundane as that up?

To be fair there are a lot of people who claim stuff works in a way that it actually doesn't and will refuse to move from that opinion despite definitive proof to the contrary. I didn't know that about minibars either and I'd probably roll my eyes unless you actually proved that was the case

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It says right there on the minibars that work that way and the more modern hotels all tend to have them in my experience (radisson blu in zurich, hilton frankfurt airport etc). Pretty much every time I close the door too hard and they ask me if I had X amount of minibar liquor last night and I always have to say no because the sensors are way too sensitive.

E: to be clear, I am aware that not all minibars do this. In this case it was another radisson blu and considering the zurich one constantly thinks i'm emptying the thing when I stay there, I just mentioned to be careful assuming they used the same system since they are a chain. In this case it was one of the old ones where they just check it after you leave or you tell them when you check out.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 13:02 on Jul 20, 2017

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Bill Dungsroman posted:

"Yes that's fine."

"ARE YOU SURE?!?!"

Because a hard fact is something that ban be checked or at worst relearned, but a late assignment is a major grade penalty.

It's not uncommon for a professor to say they're agreeing to something they don't actually agree with, due to a misunderstanding, so when it's a one-time important exception to the rules, you want to make sure everybody's clear on what's going on.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Picnic Princess posted:

We have a little electric train at work,that takes kids on a 10 minute ride and drops them off at the start location. There's a supervisor that walks along with it to make sure everyone is safe. I've done this job many times, it's easy to keep an eye on everyone. The train is only 5 small cars long.

There are a lot of parents that express complete shock at the very thought of their kid being out of sight for that amount of time. Even locked in a cart with a babysitter who is literally paid to watch them. Kids with those kinds of parents don't stand a chance of growing up independent and self-sufficient. Helicopter parents are insane.

How the hell do these parents send their kids to school? Do they sit in the parking lot wringing their hands the whole time?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Jake Snake posted:

How the hell do these parents send their kids to school? Do they sit in the parking lot wringing their hands the whole time?

When they send them to preschool, they log in to the webcams in each room, so they can wring their hands from anyplace with wifi.

When they send them to elementary school, they equip them with babby's first smartphone - the electronic umbilical cord.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
People who can't put their phone in their pocket for one god damned second when they're walking down a busy sidewalk -- or worse, walking up/down stairs -- need to be dropkicked in the back of the head. There are going to be entire generations of people who think this is okay behavior, and I am not ready.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm pretty sure it's desensitization. When you have a baby you spend most of your time covered in vile excretions of all kinds, so does the baby and so does every surface in your home. It's just normal and +/- one counter with infant poo poo on it doesn't even register. There's probably a "I'm on so little sleep I can barely see outside my own eyeballs" factor for the first few months too.

Not excusing them; It's still disgusting, kids are still disgusting, and I wish the general population didn't extend parents quite so much leeway as it seems to.

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who can't put their phone in their pocket for one god damned second when they're walking down a busy sidewalk -- or worse, walking up/down stairs -- need to be dropkicked in the back of the head. There are going to be entire generations of people who think this is okay behavior, and I am not ready.

They're not walking; they're ambling, and they always weave back and forth. I've given up trying to get around them politely, I just pick my path and if they weave into it at the last minute they're going to get shouldered out of the way. Most of the time the physical contact doesn't even register.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Jake Snake posted:

I have no clue. They'll probably die early of anxiety. I was a latchkey kid and spent all my free time playing outside until it was dark that I can't comprehend having a parent that overly attached. If I ever become a parent I would want the kid to be just like me: go out, get dirty, get hurt, explore, have fun, try not to commit any crimes or get run over.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

timefly posted:

Ugh, naive sheltered terrified people are the worst... At my old apartment building everyone would hang out and smoke on the back steps. Mostly mildly weird middle-aged men and women. I was like 22 and shy so I guess they saw me as a kid. On several occasions, when I tried to run to the store around 7 PM they begged me "don't go out there!" and one lady tried to physically restrain me, certain that venturing into the suburban shopping center at dusk would spell my doom.

I live a few miles away now, basically on a college campus in a total college town. One of my friends lives a couple blocks away in a different apartment complex, part of which is off-campus student housing. He was supposed to come chill with me and my boyfriend on the 6th, but refused to leave his house because he "heard gunshots". On July 6th. We asked him if perhaps what he heard could be fireworks instead, and he was all " oh maybe but I already called the cops. Better safe than sorry." :rolleyes: In this area, two shootings a year would be a lot. The city I was born in, however, is a 30 minute drive from the campus and there's at least one shooting a week there.

Oh yeah and I live so close to the police and fire stations that if someone tried to break in through my window, I could get out and run to the police station before they could get inside.

I talked to some lady a couple months ago who actually believed there are gangs among the students living on campus. I tried explaining that anyone involved in a real gang wouldn't have time or interest in college and vice versa, but she wasn't having it. Too consumed by fear of young people and their violence gangs.
I grew up just outside of a city where my mom worked and to this day it drives me crazy when people say they're afraid to go there. Okay, yeah, it's not the safest place in the world but seriously. I used to walk from the bus station to my mom's work when I was coming home from college for the weekend, and I worked there for a while and had to deliver mail and spent loads of time at my mom's workplace. She worked in a public library so I could just hang out and read. Since it was a public library, they also got a lot of homeless people and weirdos in. And it still wasn't that big a deal! Ugh.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone contacted me through a dating site named Dakota and I responded with "sorry I only date dudes" and it turned out they were a dude. Who the gently caress names their male child Dakota??

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I saw a person sit a diapered toddler on the counter at the Starbucks near my job, and I was seemingly the only person on line who was appropriately horrified. I could barely conceal my :catstare: face.

This happened once while I was working at Starbucks, and I quickly and pointedly (and thoroughly) sanitized the counter as soon as they took the kid off the counter before allowing any drinks to be put there. Maybe overkill, but I don't know what was in that diaper, and the person looked appropriately embarrassed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Someone contacted me through a dating site named Dakota and I responded with "sorry I only date dudes" and it turned out they were a dude. Who the gently caress names their male child Dakota??

Do certain place names have a gender? Brooklyn Beckham is a boy I think? Bristol Palin is a girl. Hmm not sure.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

Do certain place names have a gender? Brooklyn Beckham is a boy I think? Bristol Palin is a girl. Hmm not sure.

Just seems off to me. Like if someone was named Dallas I'd probably expect it to be a boy. Georgia I would expect a girl. Ain't nobody naming their kid Pennsylvania

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Someone who complains about a bunch of the products in my store being made in China, then immediately whining that the fair trade products cost more. Sorry lady, you're just going to have to choose one or the other.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
They've recently been putting up a bunch of speedbumps in my (very residential) neighborhood, including one right around the corner from my house. Recently, I've been seeing people parking literally on top of the speedbump. Like their back wheels are on top of it. The other day I was coming home, and there were two cars parked on top of it, one on either side of the road. I thought maybe people were just pissed that their street parking was now being taken up by the speedbump, but the space in between the neighboring driveways isn't even one full car-length long. So not only are these morons now parking on the speedbump, half of their car is blocking someone's driveway. And there are perfectly acceptable places to park like....10 feet further up the street! Gah!

\/ \/ \/

Lol. I was just reading a baby name blog for the poo poo names thread, and I happened across one woman who had the trifecta (all girls):

1) Dallas MaKenna
2) Dakota Morgan
3) Kelbi Cheyenne

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Jul 25, 2017

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Just seems off to me. Like if someone was named Dallas I'd probably expect it to be a boy. Georgia I would expect a girl. Ain't nobody naming their kid Pennsylvania

I knew some kids from the same family in high school named Dakota and Dallas. Both dudes (and weird af).

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Picnic Princess posted:

Someone who complains about a bunch of the products in my store being made in China, then immediately whining that the fair trade products cost more. Sorry lady, you're just going to have to choose one or the other.

Yeah, I hear that all the time.

We even had someone writing an article for a national newspaper bitching about how her economy flight sucked, and it should be the onus of airlines to improve the cheapest seat to her standards. Their sense of entitlement is overwhelming.

I mentally read it in the she-bogan combination of whine and shriek that I am unfortunately so familiar with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Yeah, I hear that all the time.

We even had someone writing an article for a national newspaper bitching about how her economy flight sucked, and it should be the onus of airlines to improve the cheapest seat to her standards. Their sense of entitlement is overwhelming.

I mentally read it in the she-bogan combination of whine and shriek that I am unfortunately so familiar with.

It's spelled Sheboygan.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's spelled Sheboygan.

yeah nah ur hosed oval office, nah ur hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

genetic_knockout posted:

Lol. I was just reading a baby name blog for the poo poo names thread, and I happened across one woman who had the trifecta (all girls):

1) Dallas MaKenna

do you think this person was intentionally naming their child after the actor who, among other things, provided the voice of Gumby?

my parents told me my name would have been Dallas had I been born a girl and there's not a day that goes by that I don't thank my lucky loving stars for this y-chromosome

• Locked thread