Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
People standing in choke points on a sidewalk. Like there's a lamppost, a newspaper vending machine or a garbage bin built into the sidewalk by this building. This is a good place to convene with three other people. You gotta get around us? There's the street, jacko!

I'm not sure it entirely fits in this thread due to its connotations, but: Big, big, BIG one for me is when I use one of those polite lies to tell a guy I'm not interested and he attempts to call me on it. What is this meant to accomplish? Yes, I lied to you about being in a relationship. The real reason I'm not interested in you is because you're 20 years older than me, gently caress ugly and creep me out. You feel good knowing that with 100% certainty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tiggum posted:

Only normal for Americans. Everyone else in the world thinks you look like stupid children eating that way.

Speaking of area-relative cutlery use, I've noticed a thing where Euro folks swing an upside-down fork into their mouths as quickly as possible. Just really jerk it in there, like it's actively trying to get away from them. I'm used to holding the fork upside-down while cutting, then twisting it rightside-up as you move it toward your face. The Euro way just seems so panicked and uptight and makes me wonder if they're scared of dropping it or can't balance poo poo or what.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

If efficiency concerns you, Sir, let me tell you about Soylent...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I hardly think eating Soylent with a fork is very efficient.

Right, injecting it straight into your veins is the quickest way to kill you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Inzombiac posted:

WE ARE BOTH WATCHING THIS MOVIE FOR THE FIRST TIME.
STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS.

On this note, people who ask spoilery questions when I'm showing them a movie or show. Not a self-directed musing like "Oh no, is [x] going to die?" But straight-up, directed at me and expecting a response, "Does [x] die?" I am always really, really tempted to just flatly tell them the truth. Instead I have to vaguely answer and I feel like they're all the while gauging my capacity to lie.

Also the "I'm not watching it if [actor] dies in it." crowd. Either I lie to you to get you to watch a good film with an actor you like or I'm honest with you and spoil a good film with the actor you like. There are a ton of valid reasons not to watch a movie, but an actor's (WHOSE WORK YOU ENJOY) character dying is a dumb as hell one.

THIS ISN'T A MOVIE NIGHT, IT'S AN INQUISITION.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm always really, really disappointed when someone won't watch [x] movie because it's subtitled. Hot drat, what a way to exclude some excellent films.

And on the subject of not being able to get anyone to see it because of an actor, I recently realized none of my friends have seen or are willing to see Raising Arizona because Cage is a meme at this point.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There was a WinCo near my old apartment that had those dry storage bins of nuts, candy, cereal, etc. and a ton of self-checkout stands.
I sometimes wondered how horribly you could rob the place by buying pine nuts and inputting them as peanuts, which was the next bin over and one digit off.

As for something that makes me unreasonably angry, when I'm sitting in a near empty theater and another person comes in and sits directly in front of me. I hate you. I don't know your name and I hate you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are you sitting in the middle? Because gently caress if I'm going to deviate from the sweet spot just because someone else is in the sweeter spot one row back.

The one I'm thinking of in particular wasn't, but if I'm in the center and you sit in front of me one seat to the left or right, I'm fine. It's when you're directly in front of me that I hate you. I am short. :mad:

Sic Semper Goon posted:

As it turned out, some she-bogan in my nation had the same notion, with a surprisingly complex scam.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...cef825555338af3

Jesus, coffee makers for ramen prices and she only got caught for looking nervous.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hate when people dismiss valid points or information because it threatens their worldview.
My god, I just want to kill them.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Same, but when liberals do this.

I heartily include them, too. Anyone and everyone is welcome to my rage.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Cowslips Warren posted:

A Facebook friend/casual acquaintance of mine just got divorced, maybe a few months ago? He posted on Facebook today, a huge wall of text dedicated to the "most beautiful girl I have ever seen," some chick he saw at a noodle place. How they kept glancing at each other, and every glance he thought his heart would stop, and how beautiful she was, and how he knew he'd never be good enough for her, buuuuuut....what if. What if! And then the usual ending that he never even spoke to her and she left, and he was posting a reward on Facebook in case anyone on his friends list happened to have seen a white girl with green eyes and red hair at this noodle place at this address and date. He wants to contact her, you see, and wanted opinions if $500 was a good price for getting that info.

I told him straight out that was creepy as poo poo, and just go back to the noodle place next week and see if she comes back. Otherwise stop.

His male friends had better ideas. Like to ask the cashier who she was. Oh, the cashier doesn't know? Well, gently caress, ask if the girl paid with a credit card and get her name that way!

Me insisting this poo poo was creepy and stalkery led to a nice explanation from several men what stalking was. See, stalking is when you creep on some girl and she tells you no because you're a creep. Buuuut if you dig around for info about her or get her license plate and run it through the DMV website or post a loving reward if someone can get her to call you, that isn't stalking, that is Showing You Are Good Soulmate Material. And if she says no then, why, then you prove how romantic you are. And if she says no THEN, she's not being stalked, she's probably a dyke.

Mind loving blown. And guys wonder why girls think they are loving creeps.

*Rolls madly, as if on fire*

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It's this. Especially with older people. In the 90s, I was rail thin and I couldn't put anything in my mouth without strangers commenting. Something healthy? "You don't need to eat salads! Have a burger!" Something unhealthy? "How can you eat like that and stay so skinny?!"

Old people apparently have immunity when it comes to commenting on other people's bodies. Thankfully I don't have this problem now, because it's not the 90s and I'm at a healthy weight, so the only kind of food-shaming I get is for not liking avocado. In California. Which is apparently some sort of crime?

Don't worry. If a millionaire spotted you eating an avocado, you'd represent Why This Generation Is Wrong.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also on the reaching into your lunchbox thing - that's when you slam the lid shut on their hands and say "I'm keeping these now".

Grin at them disbelievingly, looking between the food item and their face. "I can't believe you're touching it."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's one that's come up a lot on SA in particular: "I really like [food]." If it's an unhealthy food, someone will immediately jump to the conclusion that this is all you ever eat, you disgusting pig. If it's a healthy food, someone will inform you that it's either actually unhealthy, not organic/local enough, or you've never had the real version and what you like is poo poo, probably because you're American.

If you eat a doughnut, ever, you obviously don't care about yourself. If you eat chicken, it's actually unsanitary (nevermind how you prep it) and terrible for you. Fruits are just sugar, don't eat those. Unless you're baking your own bread, you're just being lazy. And if you use bleached flour, you might as well start shoveling sugar packets down your maw. I recall one thread where a goon scoffed at the idea of feeding their kids vegetables.

It's doubly irritating because not only is it an attack of assumptions, but it smacks of elitism and first world privilege.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Glazier posted:

What if I told you the whole point was to rattle your windows and they don’t care if the music is enjoyable to listen to?

It bothers me greatly that people take actions that detriment themselves for the sole purpose of bothering other people.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's one that I'm encountering more and more: It drives me nuts when someone refuses to watch/listen to/read something because they disagree with the politics of someone involved in the process. And the product is never political.
:) "Here's a good article on a subject you're interested in."
:mad: "I'm not reading anything from that website. They published a story on [thing I hate] once."
:) "Hey, this band is right up your alley."
:mad: "I'm not listening to them, they supported [opposing candidate]."
:) "This is one of the best movies I've seen in years, we should watch it together."
:mad: "Does it have [actor]? I'm not watching that, I hate what he said about [x]."

I'M JUST TRYING TO SHARE THINGS YOU'D ENJOY WITH YOU, BUTTHOLE.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Some people don't like the idea of supporting bad ideologies by consuming media that directly sponsors said ideologies.

They don't. They don't know anything about the dude who wrote the script, just that they don't like Leonardo DiCaprio because he advocates environmental causes while using a personal jet. Which has nothing to do with William Monahan writing The Departed. I mean if you're going to select a cog in the machine as a reason to boycott the machine, you're not going to be able to enjoy much. Because somewhere along the way in the production of your thing, it's guaranteed that someone was an awful human being.
Separating the art from the artist is the only way to enjoy anything because people, especially influential people, suck.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Got another one:

*While watching a movie*
"Does he die? Do they get caught? Will they help him? Do they wind up together? Where are they going? Is it going to be a trap? Is she lying? Does she get back home?"
WAAAAATCH.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Any time I mention playing outside by myself as a kid to someone younger than me, I have to quickly toss in that it was a normal thing to do back then. More than once I've been interrupted with questions of where my parents were or why they'd let me do that. No, my mother wasn't abusive or neglectful. Yes, it was normal to go play at the park on your own at the age of 7.

So I was born in 1988. When's the cut-off date for unsupervised-is-abuse parenting?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I always find these statements weird cause in my neighborhood kids are walking around and playing outside by themselves all the time? I always figured this was one of those assumptions people who don't actually go outside make just because it's what people on the internet say

Nah, it's very much a thing. Last week it was taken to a ridiculous extreme in my town when a kid went back into the house to grab something while the parents waited outside and they got the cops called on them for it. And yeah, I get asked about it when I talk to even 20 year-olds sometimes. Enough that I've had to adapt the aside and catch myself mentioning it when talking to people my age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Snoo posted:

people throw garbage out of their car windows when they could just leave it in their loving car for five more minutes until they get home/to work/literally anywhere because trash cans and dumpsters exist in suburban areas holy poo poo

This is the only thing that really incites road rage in me. Dude in front of me swerving? That's scary, hope he's not drunk. Lady cutting me off? Geez, pay attention! Person hurling garage out their window? I want to find you.

• Locked thread