Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i know this is a forum for taking the piss at computers but can we agree that the open source phenomenon is pretty great overall?

if you're a programmer with a network connection anywhere in the world, and have any question whatsoever about how computers are made to do a thing, you have access to an immense library of code that people actually use every day to do that thing

sadly i've seen so many programmers who refuse to use this resource to better themselves but what can you do, take their jobs i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Also if you've contributed code to open source projects that are widely used then you're p cool

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nah its a piece of poo poo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Alternative opinion: When everyone can contribute to a piece of code, no one will.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Personal anecdote: I tried using Qubes-OS out of curiousity (I was OS-curious but now identify as macOS) and the window manager didn't scale well with my then dell xps 13 with terminally ill high resolution. When I asked on the on-line messaging board if this was a priority the answer came back: "It's open source, write it yourself".

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Boiled Water posted:

(I was OS-curious but now identify as macOS)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Gazpacho posted:

Also if you've contributed code to open source projects that are widely used then you're p cool

i made a bug report and somebody else made a 1 line fix, so i'm basically linus

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
open source is bad because anyone can hack the code op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
open sores is cool if you're not concerned about Getting Paid OP

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I technically write open source code because my company releases the source to some things I work on. but lol at doing it without getting paid.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

i get paid v well because i mine other peoples code for techniques i can use in my job

how else is anyone gonna learn to program stuff if they don't have a bunch of code to read? the trade press? lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

graph posted:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
open source sucks. close thread ban op gas yospos

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my goth gf posted:

open source is bad because anyone can hack the code op
Sorry to break this to you but idiots and wallys get hired to hack on proprietary code all the time

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Like have you already forgotten heartbleed, and the situation that produced it, and the cleanup work that was possible only because people could come in and hack on the code

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 5, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my goth gf posted:

open source sucks. close source ban op gas thread

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
nope. nope. nope. nope.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

Like have you already forgotten heartbleed, and the situation that produced it, and the cleanup work that was possible only because people could come in and hack on the code

heartbleed was an open sores failure cause everyone assumed everyone else was checking the software for bugs.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

heartbleed was an open sores failure cause everyone assumed everyone else was checking the software for bugs.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Shaggar posted:

it was a good wakeup call that triggered the creation of the core infrastructure initiative

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

nooooo, the FIPS validation process made it impossible for anyone to fix bugs even when they wanted to, which is why FIPS compliance was one of the first things LibreSSL threw out

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol @ FIPS

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
refusing to use or otherwise interact with open source is a good way to ensure that you will never grow as a developer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

nooooo, the FIPS validation process made it impossible for anyone to fix bugs even when they wanted to, which is why FIPS compliance was one of the first things LibreSSL threw out

so what you're saying is openssl was a bad project that wouldn't pass audits so people gave up on it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

so what you're saying is openssl was a bad project that wouldn't pass audits so people gave up on it.
turns out that having all your fixes held hostage to a 12-month $50,000 validation process actually does tend to kill bug fixing initiatives. proprietary devs handle this by having the code validated bugs & all and then not letting anyone look at it. it guarantees you will get an exploitable product

btw stop using maven you hypocrite (it's bad btw)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

:smug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

turns out that having all your fixes held hostage to a 12-month $50,000 validation process actually does tend to kill bug fixing initiatives. proprietary devs handle this by having the code validated bugs & all and then not letting anyone look at it. it guarantees you will get an exploitable product

btw stop using maven you hypocrite (it's bad btw)

maven is great but mostly because its used by professionals for development and those professionals contribute to it.

openssl is garbo because it was built for and by amateurs. also according to the openssl web site fips compliance isn't part of default openssl and is a separate module meaning they could have patched this and then informed people they would need to decide between a quick patch or fips compliance. then eventually get re-certified. however they didn't discover the bug for years. this has nothing to do with fips and everything to do w/ amateur open sores development

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Open sores are alright I guess

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

maven is great but mostly because its used by professionals for development and those professionals contribute to it.

openssl is garbo because it was built for and by amateurs. also according to the openssl web site fips compliance isn't part of default openssl and is a separate module meaning they could have patched this and then informed people they would need to decide between a quick patch or fips compliance. then eventually get re-certified. however they didn't discover the bug for years. this has nothing to do with fips and everything to do w/ amateur open sores development
looks like it would be a waste of time to refer you to the remarks from libressl folks that contradict you, but i notice you didn't deny what I said about proprietary devs hiding their dirty laundry

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
open source is great, apart from when i use it for personal use

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Gazpacho posted:

thanks man

graph posted:

open source is the unpaid internship of the software development world

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

looks like it would be a waste of time to refer you to the remarks from libressl folks that contradict you, but i notice you didn't deny what I said about proprietary devs hiding their dirty laundry

how would they refute the fact that nobody caught the bug for years? or are you saying because openssl has a fips module nobody competent ever examined the source?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

how would they refute the fact that nobody caught the bug for years? or are you saying because openssl has a fips module nobody competent ever examined the source?
From Steve Marquess (OpenSSL co-founder):

quote:

There are huge disincentives to fixing (or discovering) bugs and vulnerabilities in already validated software. If a vulnerability is found it is for all practical purposes not fixable — been there done that with the (effective) revocation of validation #733[1]. That validation was for an open source derivative of OpenSSL publicly advertised and disclosed as such from the beginning. When we were privately informed of the (very minor) vulnerability we started the process of trying to negotiate approval of the fix with the CMVP [Cryptographic Module Validation Program]. The patch was prepared the same day that we learned of the vulnerability. Several weeks later we were still trying to figure out what hoops needed to be jumped with the CMVP bureaucracy. Since the vulnerability was in open source our options for suppressing its existence were limited. When our internally agreed time limit expired, we announced. The CMVP almost immediately revoked [2] the validation. This occurred after at least several commercial vendors were well along with plans to ship products based on the validated module.

LibreSSL concurs here

you can sit on the sidelines saying "durr hurr nobody fixed the code" all you want, but when the bureaucrats were finally pushed out of the way it got fixed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
open source software is v. educational. maven for example shows how to make build specifications unreadable and also how to pass off lack of functionality as "opinions"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

From Steve Marquess (OpenSSL co-founder):

LibreSSL concurs here

you can sit on the sidelines saying "durr hurr nobody fixed the code" all you want, but when the bureaucrats were finally pushed out of the way it got fixed

it sounds like a bullshit excuse for why he was too lazy to check openssl for bugs. they also had the choice of not doing fips at all or creating non-fips patches that get rolled up into a yearly fix pack that does get validated for fips. its just lazy and bad like most open sores.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

open source software is v. educational. maven for example shows how to make build specifications unreadable and also how to pass off lack of functionality as "opinions"

if u think maven builds are unreadable you've never seen any other build system.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mavens great cause not only is it the best build system in the world, but if you have a "programmer" that doesn't get it its a red flag that they dont know anything about programming.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shaggar posted:

something something sendmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

if u think maven builds are unreadable you've never seen any other build system.
lmao, maven:

the dependency is:
the group is ..., that was the group
the artifact ID is ..., that was the artifact ID
the version is ..., that was the version
that was the dependency

gradle:

the dependency is: group:artifact:version

• Locked thread