Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
Four Bodies

You swear softly when you see the other group engaging in battle. This raid seems to be falling apart. Quickly you order Myrun to have others seach the other ships quickly, pocketing any small valuables not narrowed down. She protests that the added weight will make the climbing of the cliff that more difficult.

You inform her, you are not going to climb the cliff.

While your men toss the ship you are on, you cut a chunk of rope with your dagger and start to pull the twine apart. You go to the bow and hunker down out of the wind. Using the frayed rope as a fire-bed, you take out the small iron jar, wrapped in leather. Inside is the scale of a firewrym, glowing like a coal. Careful not to touch the scale, or let it roll towards you, you tip the jar into the fire-bed. The rope catches immediately, and smoke plumes up and out. Raising your head you see trails of smoke starting from the other ships along the land. Satisfied you hop over the side and land next to Myrun, who stands with a bulging sack. She stand ready, and cocks and eyebrow at you. You grin as you unlimber your shield from your back, and pull Dvegrvatn from it’s loop at your belt. Myrun says this thinks this is foolish and stupid. You respond that it is, but you will not allow half your forces to be lost to Bork.

“And if you lose more than half?” Myrun asks.

In answer you gesture with Dvegrvatn to your others to charge.

Bork’s men are taken by surprise. So concerned with their skirmish with the second half of your forces, which they must put down if they are to save their crops, they do not notice you charging towards them until you are almost on top of them. At the last moment you hear a voice, perhaps Bork himself, cry out for the fighting men to “Open the wall!” At this, the Norwegians try to disengage and peel off to the side, causing you to slam into your own men and allowing them to flank you. Though the majority of the Norwegians are able to pull themselves from between your lines, others are not so fortunate. A red-haired warrior is caught up and sandwiched between your shield behind him, and Tall Hella’s in front. Together you cut the man down. Tall Hella nods back the way you came.

The ships have alighted, and now Bork’s men come pouring out of huts and tents. There is general confusion as men to not know if they should put out the ships, the fields, or join in on the attack. You take this moment to sound the retreat, yelling for your army to run up the valley, past the ruins of Solva’s church.

Like a boulder gathering speed your men disentangle themselves from Bork’s forces and retreat up the hill, following the stream. You look behind you and still see a number of Bork’s men following you, their axes silhouetted against the fires that their compatriots are attempting to put out. The element of surprise is gone, though your men are more battle hardened, Bork has the numbers and any victory would cost you an axe that could be used later.

The snap of a bowstring draws your attention. Fox Asa has shot the rope hanging Solva’s body. With cool precision she looses another shaft and Lambi’s body is also released. Her brothers, Torfi and Rorik, race to the church ruins, intent on scooping up the bodies of their companions. The young men sheath their weapons in preparation to grab the bodies.

Tall Hella sees this and yells at them. Even as he does so there is a cry of pain from the church ruins. Together you, Asa, and Hella break off from your men and run to the ruins. As you get close a Norwegian lurches out at you, swinging his axe to the side viciously. You raise your shield to catch the weapon, and it’s beak bites into the back of your shield. The two of you struggle for a moment until the man, you see now he is a young man, almost a boy, looses his footing and you are able to trip him up. He tumbles to the ground and Asa shoots him in the leg with an arrow.

Looking past the fallen man you see a disheartening sight. The Norwegian must have taken Torfi and Rorik by surprise. So focused on grabbing the bodies of the dead they did not see him until they were struck down. Rorik at least had his axe in his hand, meaning he was quick enough to fight back. Beyond the bodies of the two warriors lie the bodies of Solva and Lambi.

Asa sees her brothers bodies, and hisses as she fires another arrow at the fallen Norwegian.

1. Do you attempt to stop Asa’s arrow?

A No
. This man is an enemy combatant, his death is more meaningful than his life. Besides, we would have to carry him, he will slow us down.
B Yes. We actually may be able to interrogate this man. He is young, and would value his life over his loyalty to Bork or Harald. We will have to carry him, but if we move quickly enough.

2. Do you attempt to carry out the bodies of your dead?

A No
We cannot be slowed down by them. We’ll have Bork nipping at our heels, and potentially lose more men. They are in Valhalla now, their bodies don’t matter.
B Yes. They are our friends and our warriors. We are responsible for them even in death. Toke Frodsson will never abandon anyone like that.
C No....but... burn the remains of the church. That is the simplest solution. Surely something will catch on fire.

Previous results

1 B
2 B
3 A
4 B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

.......poo poo.

A, A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blasphemaster posted:

.......poo poo.

A, A

Yeah, sorry Asa, but the living take precedence over the dead.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
AB

drat.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
BC

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
AC

It's the closest thing to grieving we might get to do for a while. Besides, we've already set everything else on fire.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
BC, be pragmatic here.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

BB If there's a time to be a bleeding heart, now's the time.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Will be posting tomorrow. There is a conference I will be zoning out of.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
The Fire Fox

Fox Asa’s hiss turns into a shriek of satisfaction as her arrows sink into the murderer of her brothers. You do not spare the dead man a second glance, instead you grab Asa and spin her toward you.

“Fýrdraca sciell*!” You snap, shaking her roughly.

She is dazed and confused at first, but quickly starts to dig in a pouch at her belt, and pulls out a leather-wrapped metal box. She opens it, and after a moment’s hesitation, tosses the box onto the body of the man she has just killed. The fire-wyrm scale works quickly, lighting the man’s shirt on fire. After one last look at her brother’s, Asa turns and leaves the church. You leave along with her and Tall Hella.

The wake of burning you leave behind you slows down your pursuers enough that your flight back to Eitrisadal is relatively simple. When you arrive you are pleased to see Donar and Fearghas have returned from their talks with the giants, and Ásúlf is back from meeting godi representatives. What is more, Domarr Snowlocks has arrived with food and wood. As the nearest godi to Bork, Domarr is in a precarious position, but he claims his silver tongue has at least temporarily convinced Bork his loyality to you is in question. Though the man takes great risk to come to Eitrisadal, it is good to have him. After your men tend to their wounds, and are fed, and old Ari and Sefa allowed to grieve for their sons, you take your closest advisors into Buri’s hall to again plan.

First you take stock of your assets. Your years of focused raiding has made you a rich man, though most of your silver now lies with Bork. Still, the godi of Iceland are indebted to you, and more importantly they fear you since the civil war precipitated at your hand. You have no doubt they will back you. Though, now with war finally come to Iceland, some will have to be whipped into shape.

Even if all the godi give you command of their armies intact, you do not know if it is enough to take on Harald’s reinforcements that he will likely send in the summer. You have a fearful reputation in the world abroad and though this has turned Harald-supporters and allies against you, you have gained two of your own.

Your comrade in Francia, Rolf the Walker has indicated that, given the word, he’ll gladly send ships to Iceland to assist you. The man has been living a comfortable life as Ordo’s “tame Northman”, and has attracted many followers. Though Rolf is a commanding presence, you are willing to risk butting heads with him to gain his army.

Additionally you have ensured that Domarr Snowlock’s father in law, Ketil, calls himself King of Hebrides. He only does so because of the sweat and blood that you spilled for him in his attempt to shake off Harald’s yoke. Though his forces are still recovering, Ketil is aware that he is expected to return the favor when asked.

Yet even these may not be enough. You know well of the saga of the Lothbrokssons and their Great Heathen Army in England. They have been mired there for nearly a decade and are, for all intents and purposes at a standstill. If they cannot crush the Christians of England with their mighty army, then the possibility of you fighting off Harald’s armies of Norsemen seems slim.

Still you must work with what you have. And so, you along with your council plan the agenda for the Althing.

Only Question: What is the plan for the Althing?

Feel free to be as specific or vague as possible. And ask clarifying questions if needed.

Also, I have added to the third post, a list of resources and inspirations for this game. I’ll update it occasionally. Maybe even with summaries and descriptions!

* Literally “Fire-spewing dragon scale”...I think. I sort of cheated and used Old English instead of modern Icelandic for this. The issue is between weak/strong nouns, accusative, genial, and dative cases...there’s....there’s a lot of ways to gently caress Old English up.

Previous results

1 A
2 C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

So...how bad would Odin take it if we poisoned the poo poo out of Bork's remaining food supply? Probably not so well.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Is poisoning seen as bad form to vikings?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What kind of numbers are we looking at on each side? Were Vikings capable of interdicting each others' fleets? I'm not sure how much we can ultimately do if Harald can just send wave after wave of men at us. As an island, the ocean should be our most potent defense.

As for Bork, I think the focus should continue to be on denying them food, and restricting their ability to move. If we can keep them bottled up and only engage when and where we choose, then we may be able to take them out while preserving our own side. Which will be important if Harald can send more men. Hopefully we can make ourselves to mean and not worth it to conquer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Boats... Don't we have a friendly mancowfish hanging around. Could we persuade him to gently caress up incoming support?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Outrail posted:

Boats... Don't we have a friendly mancowfish hanging around. Could we persuade him to gently caress up incoming support?

I think he only hangs around France because the water around here is too cold.

Should...should we just pack up and move to France?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Blasphemaster posted:

So...how bad would Odin take it if we poisoned the poo poo out of Bork's remaining food supply? Probably not so well.

Wentley posted:

Is poisoning seen as bad form to vikings?

Toke wouldn't get his membership revoked or anything, but it would seem cowardly. Or at least questionable. Poison was a punishment and really cruel to do to people, often associated with dragons in Fafnir or serpents like Jormundr. It was seen as an evil thing. But also part of creation with being Eitr.

To poison them, aside from logistics, you'd have to try to overcome the stigma of resorting to poison instead of a straight up fight. I mean, I thought you were Toke, a stand up warrior. Also, Bork and crew ARE enemy combatants, but they are still Northmen. Stabbing a dude in the face with a sword is one thing, sneaking in and poisoning him during peace is another.

Also, Toke already has a questionable repuation as he has used assassins, so the question is how okay are you with getting your name dirty?

paragon1 posted:

What kind of numbers are we looking at on each side? Were Vikings capable of interdicting each others' fleets? I'm not sure how much we can ultimately do if Harald can just send wave after wave of men at us. As an island, the ocean should be our most potent defense.

I would think so. The trick would be making sure you are in the right place at the right time. Longships are very fast so you'd need to know where they were going to be and sneak up on thel. Several documented Viking battles were basically just two fleets ramming into each other to make a raft of death.

Outrail posted:

It is cold. Cowfish enjoy warmer climes. You'd have to charm him or make a deal or something to get him to winter in colder waters.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

paragon1 posted:

I think he only hangs around France because the water around here is too cold.

Should...should we just pack up and move to France?

"gently caress Francia." - Toke Frodsson.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I would ask to have our allies just raid and burn Harald's ports down, but it's not like you need extensive drydocks to get longships built. Going to have to think on this one for a bit.

Still, we need a plan for the Althing.

So, First we need to make our position as warleader official if we haven't already. Then we should propose to everyone that they must bring their harvests in now and secure them while we keep Bork on the backfoot. Then we should all muster together and throw the invaders into the sea. We'll call in the giants if more enemies show up.

To be clear Bork has more guys than Toke right now, right?

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Really excited to see this CYOA is back!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

See if we can get our God Talker types together and curse the poo poo out of the invaders. Like...REAL bad dysentery. So bad that it gets its own name like...BUTTSAUCE.

Don't invade Iceland or you'll get Buttsauce!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blasphemaster posted:

See if we can get our God Talker types together and curse the poo poo out of the invaders. Like...REAL bad dysentery. So bad that it gets its own name like...BUTTSAUCE.

Don't invade Iceland or you'll get Buttsauce!

Iceland might be surrounded by ocean but it's protected with a moat of poo poo.

Sneaking into their camp and dumping a bucket of poo poo into their well would do the same thing.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Outrail posted:

Iceland might be surrounded by ocean but it's protected with a moat of poo poo.

Sneaking into their camp and dumping a bucket of poo poo into their well would do the same thing.

Yeah but that's our well and we are going to want it back as soon as possible, unshitted.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Sorry for the delay. I am starting end of year units in my classes so all my free time has been eaten up. I'll update over the weekend at the latest.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I always prefer quality of updates over speed. Take your time and don't stress yourself. :)

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
I don't think using poison or disease on our own island/well is a great idea, but if it comes down to it I have no great objection to Toke dropping shrooms on some bitches or pulling a full Red Wedding. That said, it's probably a prudent idea to send runners out to the godi and not-too-bluntly make sure everyone is on-side (and ferret out if anybody has shaky allegiance or would be willing to fake it if need be). Domarr's a good man and I trust him but he and the other godi need to be 100% on not selling or trading Bork any supplies between now and the winter if we want to take them out with a minimum of fuss and muss.

If Domarr or some of the other closest stakeholders are willing we can even provide them a working excuse for why they can't sell Bork anything by staging 'raids' against their holdings. With any luck this leaves them with the pretense of neutrality if necessary and helps serve as a potential means to feed Bork false information or lure him out some time mid-winter after lean nights and cold weather have done their work. <--Don't tell the godi about this part though, although it shouldn't take the wily cunning of Odysseus to figure out that's our plan.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

You know what, just curse the gently caress out of 'em. They killed our priesty lady so we'll have to borrow one. Or you know.

Pose buck naked on a dangerous precipice by the sea in a thunderstorm and scream bloody murder to Odin to give us revenge. :black101:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Dumping Shitloads if magic mushrooms into their wells the day before an attack would be awesome as hell. It's organic so it'll degrade after a time. And if not? :shroom:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Yeah. Dump some Icelandic non-peyote soup in their well or something for good times. THIS CANNOT BACKFIRE unless they all go berserk and kill us all

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
If you have no problem with lying through our teeth we could also pass it off as a curse that they went crazy and murdered the poo poo out of each other. That does leave us with the problem of clearing the stigma for having a cursed well or w/e after. Might not be practical because we'll need a shitload of shrooms to poison an entire well and multiple dudes though, I can't even imagine the preposterous amount of acid required.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Sorry for the lateness. Work and family life snuck up on me. Plus I have to read like 4-5 novels for a class I am planning for next year.
Next post is in the process of being written and will be up tomorrow (I always struggle with the formal meeting stuff) but if anyone wants to please suggest names/epithets for all the new godi replacing the ones we killed/ousted.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

One of our neighbor kids with an interest in God Stuff goes off with the bare essentials for a night and comes back a God Talker With Crazy Eyes. Dude(tte). Never. Blinks. Ever. If they blink they lose their bet with (insert god) and poo poo happens. (minimum 15 seconds closed eyes before opening bypasses the oath restriction).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Heuei, Dueeh and Loieah. Three irresponsible brothers with almost impossible luck, they spend more time raiding and seeking out monsters to slay than tending their farm. Their uncle was a wealthy, miserly landowner known for being a tight fisted haggler who would never forget a debt. He unfortunately died during the initial raids and his lands divided between his three living relatives. It has been noted by neighbours that the lands are already falling into disrepair.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
One Last Thing

The mood of what may be your last Thing is starkly different from your first Thing. Gone are the carts, stalls, vendors, and merriment. If you were to close your eyes and concentrate you could hear the burble of laughter and riotous shouting from those enjoying themselves at the Thing. Now however, there is sullen silence as your party makes camp. Instead of shops and merchants selling wares, armed men ring their lord’s tents, keeping a wary eye on those purported to be their allies. People are tense, and the only conversation to hear between camps are barked orders.

As is tradition, the Lögberg is ringed with torches at night, and Wise Sven, stooped from age, slowly climbs to the top of the rock. In a raspy voice he recites the Law from memory, and as he does so you wonder idly who will replace him when he moves on from this world. Domarr seems the most likely candidate, as he is cunning and well-liked, yet who even knows if any of you will be alive long enough to worry about such things.

Sven is done speaking and nods to you, you climb up the rock yourself and look out over the crowd. Most of the godi in Iceland are assembled here, friends, allies, and those who are on your side only by convenience. There are a few who are not here, and you make sure to note who, there will have to be an accounting of where they are. You clear your throat and, breath steaming from your throat, you speak.

“War has come to Iceland. Harald Tanglehair has landed troops on our shores, as we all knew he would. They have already taken the Snake’s Fjord, and are turning their eyes inward as we speak.”

There is rumbling at this.

“How is it you escaped with your life?”
“How many ships?”
“Who leads them? Is is Hjork Raven-Feeder?”
“What of the giants? Can they not push them into the sea?”
“Call our allies Toke!”

You raise your hands for silence. It takes a time, but the noise dies down.

“From what we know, Bork Grin-maker leads the forces. Five ships have landed so far, though more may come before winter.” You allow Bork’s name to be whispered about for a moment before calling out again. “Bork is a formidable opponent, but I have already crippled him for the time being. I have burned his ships and fields, leaving him stranded and hungry for winter.”

“Toke,” Scarred Hakkon calls out, “You have kept him from our shores, but if Bork hungers, he may prey on his neighbors.”

You shake your head, “I doubt he will. He is in a foreign land with no allies. Buri and Domarr may lose crops, but Bork is too cautious to go into battle from a position of need.”

“Then push him into the sea!” a wide-eyed godi yells. It takes you a moment to recognise it as Unøss. Unøss was always wide-eyed. Supposedly he made a bet with Loki that he could refrain from blinking longer than the trickster god. As such no one had seen him blink. Ever.

“Doing so would solve a problem, but create a new one. I know Bork, I know his methods. Killing him would get rid of the threat, but it would introduce a new warlord of Harald’s, one I do not know.

“So you’d allow the wolf to sit at our door?” Unøss’ eyes bulge.

You turn to him and stare at him. “It is better the wolf you know than the one you don’t Unøss.” you raise your voice to address the whole crowd. “That is why you agreed to name me warleader. Unless one wishes to take that title from me, you must trust me and do as I say!”

There is silence, as no one challenges you.

1. They seem to be cowed, you could use this Thing as a chance you proclaim yourself more than warlord. Name yourself godi of all Iceland, all of them will be in your thrall.

A. Yes, I am the greatest warrior here, they should serve me in peace as well as war.
B. No, I do not wish to rule as such. I am just a general.

“What do we do then?” a new voice asks. In the firelight you see the Öndsson triplets, Húri, Dyri, and Logi*. Their father’s land had been split between the three of them, and suffered for it.

“We take no direct action against them as of yet. My wife, and other wise women, will spend the winter cursing Bork’s men, making them ill and at poor ease here, sapping their energy.”

“Is that not cowardly?” asks Sven the Wise. “Surely a warrior such as you should not resort to cursing an army when you could fight them as the Allfather intended.”

You shrug your shoulders. “My wife has taken it on herself to perform this curse. Nauma is strongwilled when she decides to do something. As many of you know.” There is dark muttering at this. Sven smiles, you have neatly sidestepped a dishonorable act.

“I ask that resources, men, and food are pooled and redistributed.”

“How so?” asks Hakkon.

2. How are you redistributing Iceland’s goods?

A Move most of the warriors to the coastal settlements, put large food depots more inland.
B Move most of the warriors to surround Bork, make sure the food follows them.
C Make sure each settlement has equal protection and food.
D Keep the warriors and food with you.
E. Something else.

There is predictable grousing over this, though Domarr and Sven are able to sooth many hurt feelings. You quickly move on, before there is too much of a chance for protests.

“I also must send one of you on a diplomatic mission. My ships have been destroyed, and Domarr Snowlocks is taking his ship to gather the aid of his father in-law. I need some one to go a bring back our allies--”

There is excited chatter at this. A chance to make a new ally, and do some late late season raiding, it is a good opportunity.

“--in Francia.”

The chatter dies.

3. Who do you send to Francia to bring the aid of Rolf the Walker?

A Scarred Hakkon
B Burri Bjornsson
C The Öndssons
D Shiver Wulf
E. Unøss Moon-eye

F. Someone else (Should be a godi, or someone who could convince a godi to borrow a ship

The this first night’s meeting is winding down. Yet you have one more thing to say. Your home has been destroyed and taken captive, you need a place for your people to stay through the winter at least. You will issue a proclamation.

4. What are you doing with your people over the winter?

If there is anything else you want specifically done at this Thing, please post that too. Otherwise, we may jump ahead.

* How long did I spend looking authentic old Norse names for this bit, including the surname? Too loving long!

Previous results

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Haha wow. Sorry, I didn't think you'd actually use that suggestion.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Gah! Missed my chance to submit a godi. Oh well.

BAA
Stay with Buri. He's close to Bork and married to Toke's daughter.

When Bork's reinforcements arrive, they will no doubt seek a landing elsewhere. Ideally we could simply send them all screaming into the ocean, but realistically we'll need to be positioned to respond to the new arrivals and keep food out of their easy reach.

I think we're ready to move on from the Thing, yeah?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BAA

Winter with our son on law, and train our asses off. Curse the names of our enemies at every meal.

What's the deal with the giants helping out again? Can we maybe get them to stockpile boulder s and be our artillery?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
BAA

What skills do the giants have besides being well, giant?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I'll throw in another one for BAA. Glad to see that this is back up and running! I really enjoyed reading through the first thread (alas, when it had already died), so I'm looking forward to seeing what lies in store here!

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
The Land of Ice and Snow

When winter comes it comes as a wolf closing in on its prey. Even before you make it back to Buri’s settlement, snow starts to fall. Myrun sees this as a poor omen, though you do not. After all it was Winter when you felled the Rainbow Serpent, your first great act in Iceland. Regardless, you feel more cold than you used to, and your breath catches in your throat as your party trudges back to Buri’s lands. You have enjoyed the winter for many years, though perhaps your age is making it an inconvenince for you. Your father Frode the Peacock once wrote a poem for you about Winter.

pre:

Who rides with such fury      A fiery charger 
Through the high heavens      A horse snow-colored? 
The mighty steed              From his mane tosses 
Frozen flakes                 That flutter earthward. 

Glowing glitters              His gray armor               
On his shoulder there hangs   A shield ice-covered       
On his head he wears          The helm of terror           
The fearful Aegis             Frosty helmet 

He comes from the hoary       Haunts of midnight 
Where the world force flows   From the well eternal 
Where restless seas           Roar in breakers 
On shores without spring      And summerless rocks. 

He knows not of age           Though the oldest gods            
Where his playmates ere       The earth was fashioned          
The last world will die       And desolation                      
Veil the suns                 Ere his way is ended. 

The strong are strengthened   When his step approaches 
The soft Earth grows firm     In his fierce embraces 
The tears she wept            Are turned to diamonds 
And her mourning garb         To a mantle of ermine. 

'tis not truly said           That when Summer approaches         
Winter flees                  To the frozen Northland                   
He broods in the heavens      While humble spring                        
Leads summer in               Through sunlit meadows 

'tis in his hands             The earth turns daily 
In his powerful grasp         The poles are twirling 
And he leaves                 E'en a little moment 
Naught of earth               That's near to heaven. 

'tis therefore we see         While summer lingers 
The mountains still wear      The Winter's livery 
'tis therefore we see         That summer melts not 
Heaven's hoar-frost           From the head of age. *

Though, of course, since it was your father’s poem, it wasn’t just about Winter. It was an ode to Odin as well. Your father saw the two as linked, more so that winter and Skadhi or Ullr. As you look around the landscape, you began to understand your father’s mindset.

Eitrisadal prepared for the winter as best it could. With the sudden influx of people, it’s food stores were not enough. Though neighbors loaned you food, it still wasn’t enough. You simply needed more.

1. What did you do to ensure there was enough food to get through the winter?

A Slaughter horses and sheep. Though you would be at a disadvanage in the spring for beasts of burden and wool, you needed the meat.
B Trade with the giants. They are your semi allies, but they are shrewd and tricky traders. You will need to give up a great treasure (what)?
C Sacrifice to the gods for strength during the winter’s blot. You allow a volunteer to be killed, in hopes the gods allow the rest to live. (Who? It must be a named character)

There were more preparations to make as well. Nauma’s wise women erected a hide tent outside of the walls of Eitrisadal. There they spent many days in secret, casting runes and spinning spells. The secretiveness and sounds coming from the tent confused and scared many of the men. When you looked at the tent with the Stone Eye, it’s brightness caused you pain. It was clear that the women were communing with Freyja.

2. What curse were the women afflicting on Bjork’s men?

A Sleep does not come to them every night
B Their strength waxes and wanes at random
C Their thoughts are easily lost to them.
D. All manner of minor ill luck happen
E Their weapons rust and break more easily.
F The shits.

It was so that winter passed. In the early spring, before ice had left the fjords, Scarred Hakkon’s ships returned with word from Rolf the Walker. Your Francian ally agreed to send men to Iceland as soon as possible. This was the only good piece of news that Hakkon brought back.

First, your father had died, or perhaps been killed. The details were unknown. Though you had not seen your father for many years the loss still hurt. You felt ashamed of yourself when Kolbein asked for your father’s full name to put on a runestone he was making in the old poet’s memory. You couldn’t remember, your father had always been Frode the Poet to you,his family name was forgotten as he surpassed his father’s fame early. In the end his epitaph was a more fitting title than anything else. Asulf says Your father will be well-honored, no man was quicker with a dick joke, or a verse of love. And so Kolbein erected a large runestone on the a hill, telling how Frode the Peacock used his words to wound and heal as good as any warrior used ax and shield

The other bad news as Hakkon’s sighting of more ships. As they left Francia, they sighted a group of Danish longboats following. Though Hakkon’s ships outpaced the Danes in their larger boats, it was clear where the other warriors were heading. Harald had called in his own allies, and they were bypassing Bork’s encampment to land somewhere on the western shores of Iceland. Luckily you had put most of Iceland’s warriors at the coastal settlements, so any raiders from the sea would be repelled if they attacked a settlement. The danger is now the Danes gaining a foothold on unsettled land, and moving inland before they are caught.

3 How do you want to handle the Danes?

A Risk your ships in the ice-choked waters to attack them at sea
B Allow them to land, but keep an eye on their movements.
C Send an envoy to their landing, keep this civil for now.
D Gather a war party to drive them back into the sea (Who leads it?)
E Lead a war party yourself, kill or capture every Dane.
F Other.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*This poem is actually by Bjarni Thorarensen, an 18th century Icelandic Poet. I’ve rearranged the translation to better suit the period of Toke’s time, but I can take no credit)

Previous results
B
A
A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You know full well goons are going to vote 2F to a post.

1B, 2F, 3E

No clue on what treasure to give

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 26, 2017

• Locked thread