Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
A New Verse

“And thus, Toke Frodsson died.” Langilf says. Though the children sit near to her she must speak loudly to be heard.

“What happened then?” Bera asks. She is the oldest and most inquisitive.

“There was weeping afterwards, for nine days and nights he laid on the field of battle, watched over by the living. On the tenth day he was placed in a grave ship, his beloved Drekeburi, along with his treasures. The proper sacrifices were done, and the proper words were said. The shores of Iceland were red with the blood of those who followed Toke into the afterlife. His treasure-ship was put out to sea and burned, taking him from this mortal plane.

“What about his treasures? The riddle-band, the eye-stone--”

“His axe!” Auðvin chimes in.

“Mustn’t forget the axe.” Fearghas mutters. He swings close using a rope for balance, his old wounds still trouble him and he tries hard to hide it. “Gifts from the dwarves are great things indeed.”

“Dvegrvatn rests with its master. Wherever that may be. Perhaps some time a young hero will find it, and prove himself..or herself..worthy of it.”

Both children look properly somber at that.

Langilf continues. “When his ship sank from sight, a tower was built on the easternmost reaches of Iceland, handsome and carved with two words.”

“Toke watches.” The children say together. At that time the floor beneath them bucks and they tumble onto each other, giggling. Langilf’s spell is broken and the children pay her no mind, she looks off into the distance. Bera is the first to realize her mother has more to say. Being the dutiful daughter, she scrambles to her feet and, swaying, walks to her mother.

“But, if Toke gave so much, did so much force Iceland. Why..” she is not sure how to proceed.

“Why are we not in Iceland?” Fearghas offers from his position closer to the bow.

“Yes.”

“Because. Toke watches.” Langlif smiles slightly as the shoreline of Norway resolves itself. There is a spray of seawater as the fleet all around her, dozens of ships, crests a large wave.

“Toke watches,” she says again. “And Iceland remembers.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to thank everyone who stuck through this with me, and everyone who read and voted. This ended far different from what I envisioned (Toke was supposed to die in the first Act), but I am proud of what it became. Real life is a bitch, and trying to get to this in the spare minutes of my schedule was always a pain, and i know quality AND quantity suffered at times. I hope you all enjoyed Toke's life. I know I did.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Well done Ninja Pete.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Very satisfying conclusion, thank you!!!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Yes to all of that. Hope our kids turn Harald into a wig.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

This was a great read, so thank you very much for writing it!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A very satisfying conclusion. Thanks NinjaPete!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

NinjaPete posted:

I want to thank everyone who stuck through this with me, and everyone who read and voted. This ended far different from what I envisioned (Toke was supposed to die in the first Act), but I am proud of what it became. Real life is a bitch, and trying to get to this in the spare minutes of my schedule was always a pain, and i know quality AND quantity suffered at times. I hope you all enjoyed Toke's life. I know I did.

Pfffttt this rules, don't worry about it.

:golfclap:

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Thanks for taking us on this journey, NinjaPete. I will miss having an excuse to write faux-Viking poetry.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That was awesome, really impressive in it's own right, made even moreso that it's a CYOA came back from the curse and finished.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

Slightly Lions posted:

Thanks for taking us on this journey, NinjaPete. I will miss having an excuse to write faux-Viking poetry.

My ultimate dream is someone taking up the task of writing a spin off. I mean, imagine how insanely Alternate History-y things could get with, essentially, super powered Vikings ruining poo poo.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i still haven't finished reading the first thread but it rules, you rule & thanks for trying again

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

NinjaPete posted:

My ultimate dream is someone taking up the task of writing a spin off. I mean, imagine how insanely Alternate History-y things could get with, essentially, super powered Vikings ruining poo poo.

You'd have to give opposing factions their own supernatural players. Bible thumping crusaders or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Aesir vs. Kvitekrist would be awesome and I would never miss an update.

• Locked thread