Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

DC to Daylight posted:

Awesome find. Stupid question though - how did you take the photo? Panorama style or is there a seam I can't see. Or did you buy two of them? Either way, I love flip displays. Also, given the vintage, I'm surprised that it has FM.

Quoting myself - I guess the other "radio" is the satellite speaker... Still a great piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:wow::eyepop:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

DC to Daylight posted:

Awesome find. Stupid question though - how did you take the photo? Panorama style or is there a seam I can't see. Or did you buy two of them? Either way, I love flip displays. Also, given the vintage, I'm surprised that it has FM.

Nothing that fancy it's just a cropped photo :P

I love flip clocks too, have a decent size collection of them I've picked up over the years. There are some film based ones that imitate digital clocks that are fascinating too, and some neat tumbler mechanism variations. It's a shame mechanical displays are pretty much extinct, they have a huge aesthetic range.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Is that metal or plastic or what. It owns.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

They bought a ghost and just covered it with a tarp so we could see it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've been trying to make an effort to only buy from the thrift store and that's let me give myself permission to buy things I wouldn't ordinarily...

Just picked this up! Might report back once I have ingredients and can clear out enough space in the freezer. (My freezer is full of green bin material and the green bin is full of waasspss) Box contains the pink model. Everything is still in plastic bags! It's labelled small electrical but it's entirely hand operated. Basically just a jug that can get very cold, and a crank

e: apparently donvier is still making hand crank ice cream makers and the modern equivalent is nearly $80 jfc

DUDE

DUDE. DUDE.

Parmesan ice cream. Sounds like garbage, tastes like frozen cheesecake. So good.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

trickybiscuits posted:

DUDE

DUDE. DUDE.

Parmesan ice cream. Sounds like garbage, tastes like frozen cheesecake. So good.

I have a mild egg allergy and 6 of them sounds like... A lot... But I'll see what I can do, thanks!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's some sort of leather (or pleather) painted and hardened on one side. Probably with some sort of lacquer.

There's this little flap of skin that I assume is meant for hanging it up on a wall. Instead I'm going to film it for a cursed video in a haunted house.

I went to Goodwill looking for a good old fashioned 4:3 tube TV to display that video on but those seem to be extinct enough that even after going through several stores the best I could find was beat up early flat screens.

The closest I came was this thing which isn't quite big enough for my purposes but still pretty cool

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All those stores look the same dont they

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Not a thrift store but I got these really cool looking cast iron valve wheels from work. They just dismantled a bunch of old steam pipes. I saw these in the scrap bin and decided to make some sort of project out of them. Maybe some sort of garden sculpture /trellis. Or maybe just hang them up in the garage. I'm already using the one with the shaft for a doorstop. Way cooler than the brick that was there before. They were just way too cool looking to send off to scrap.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Nice fruit roll-up elemental.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raptor1033 posted:

*Kramers into thread* GUYS! LASER CHESS

Hey I got this same game at a Goodwill years and years ago. It's actually pretty cool. Played it with my niece a lot.

You get to feel like you're doing a Zelda dungeon

The Bloop has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Sep 6, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

if y'all like those beam-of-light puzzles, good news

https://www.puzzle-light-up.com/

I find this genre of puzzle to be absurdly satisfying

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Found this today in a used book shop for 50p. There's an entire series that includes Kafka, Fascism, Feminism, Darwin, Marx, Jesus, Postmodernism, Astrology and others.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Found this today in a used book shop for 50p. There's an entire series that includes Kafka, Fascism, Feminism, Darwin, Marx, Jesus, Postmodernism, Astrology and others.

The Kafka book is illustrated by Robert Crumb, by the by.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Not a thrift store but I got these really cool looking cast iron valve wheels from work. They just dismantled a bunch of old steam pipes. I saw these in the scrap bin and decided to make some sort of project out of them. Maybe some sort of garden sculpture /trellis. Or maybe just hang them up in the garage. I'm already using the one with the shaft for a doorstop. Way cooler than the brick that was there before. They were just way too cool looking to send off to scrap.

That wavy one is awesome. I would put that in my living room.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Found Monica’s pickle jar from Friends...I can’t find a single place selling this exact one, I’ll have to look it over when I get home tonight and see if I can identify the manufacturer

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I found a pair of loving Sony noise cancelling, Bluetooth headphones that retail for $250-350 yesterday. Snagged em for $14.99 from Goodwill.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I found a pair of loving Sony noise cancelling, Bluetooth headphones that retail for $250-350 yesterday. Snagged em for $14.99 from Goodwill.

I FARDED in them.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Jerry Cotton posted:

I FARDED in them.

Still worth it.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I just picked up a Dymo-Mite Tapewriter, that appears to be from 1962 according to the paperwork with it.

This thing can use 1/2" steel or aluminum tape for labelling. Gonna label ALL the things!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Coffee And Pie posted:

Found Monica’s pickle jar from Friends...I can’t find a single place selling this exact one, I’ll have to look it over when I get home tonight and see if I can identify the manufacturer

If you are fine being a liar, you could probably sell that on a shady collectors website.

In the first episode of Seinfeld, he has a dragon pot holder (it opens like a puppet) and I have the exact same one. I've never seen it anywhere else.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Holy poo poo, I have that exact same pair of headphones. They're fantastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TwystNeko posted:

I just picked up a Dymo-Mite Tapewriter, that appears to be from 1962 according to the paperwork with it.

This thing can use 1/2" steel or aluminum tape for labelling. Gonna label ALL the things!
that's rad, I got an 80's HOT PINK one and like 30 miles of label tape with it at a rummage sale decades ago, I was insanely obnoxious with slapping labels on everything until eventually it got taken away

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

TwystNeko posted:

I have one just like it, and it's pretty rad. But I don't dare use it too often, because I don't know how easy it is to get replacement tapes.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Bourricot posted:

I have one just like it, and it's pretty rad. But I don't dare use it too often, because I don't know how easy it is to get replacement tapes.

Tapes are still available easily, because every single Dymo clone used the same size.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

My favorite thing about the Goodwill Bins is the weird ephemera you find mixed in with the junk.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

super nailgun posted:

My favorite thing about the Goodwill Bins is the weird ephemera you find mixed in with the junk.

I took a pork quiz in Cosmo once. Pretty sure I got a Spicy.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Oh poo poo you found Rick Perry's homework!. :crossarms:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

super nailgun posted:

I love things like this!

If you have/ find any similar stuff (loose weirdness printed on paper), please post it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887842

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
not thrift store, but while cleaning out storage with mom I found some of my/her old stuff.

my old TI-82 calculator from school, pac-man phone I got at a yard sale, calculators and an old tablet-like thing I don't know the origin of

iirc this was the infamous insanely expensive RAM Dell tried to push before they realized nobody was going to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars per chip

I love this Polaroid radio

the 8-track player is in great shape, obviously my mom's, and boy, old tech using wood in the construction of it as standard sure was a thing huh

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Nov 25, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

iirc this was the infamous insanely expensive RAM Dell tried to push before they realized nobody was going to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars per chip

Was it RAMBUS or something?

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone here could probably tell you exactly what it is. Would need a picture of the other side with either a label showing, or the markings on one of the chips clearly visible (if no label).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

codo27 posted:

Was it RAMBUS or something?

RAMBUS! THAT'S THE ONE! iirc at the time it was like 300 bucks a stick and you needed multiple just to be worth using.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

RAMBUS! THAT'S THE ONE! iirc at the time it was like 300 bucks a stick and you needed multiple just to be worth using.

Yes but you see it magically erases the von Neumann bottle-neck and

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Just picked a soup bowl with a matching lid for 18 EUR from the 30's and glass wall plate from 80's series for 20 EUR. Retail on any regional antique web stores agrees that the bowl is at least 140 EUR set and the glass plate is at least 50 more.

No deep scratches, chipped off parts or worn out glass work on either of them, and those glass plates are something that my mom collects and IIRC she does not have that one so that's the Christmas present for her.

Sometimes I wonder what the gently caress people think when they bring stuff up to thrift stores. Meth, probably.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I found an $130 frying pan for $5.

Given the part of town I found it in its more likely the previous owner passed away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah oftentimes if you get a pristine item that has no business being in a thrift or donation store and was clearly well taken care of, the prior owner likely died. I remember buying a Warhammer army from someone who was selling them for a song and thanked them for the great deal, and they said "oh no problem, these were my husband's, he had an aneurysm a few months ago and I wasn't sure what to do with all his figurines." It's a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

ItBreathes posted:

I found an $130 frying pan for $5.

Given the part of town I found it in its more likely the previous owner passed away.

Don't wanna be a debbie downer, but that's pretty much everything at a thrift store. That cool jacket? A dead guys jacket. That xbox 360? A dead guys 360. That cool box of nerf guns? Those are actually mine. I ran outta space in my room.