Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Don't wanna be a debbie downer, but that's pretty much everything at a thrift store. That cool jacket? A dead guys jacket. That xbox 360? A dead guys 360. That cool box of nerf guns? Those are actually mine. I ran outta space in my room.

Yeah, definitely the go to place for me to find glassware, antiques, paintings, furniture and collectibles is dead people stuff.

However, there are some things like books and LP records which you can more or less skip on most places; for some reason everyone (and the shopkeeper if you go to a place that buys and re-labels the merchandise) is very good at finding eBay prices and puts them to the "general average and then some" to the 1 EUR difference. And then they sell you the Lego 8880 supercar in parts for 12 EUR because its not assembled and they have no idea what they have.

I was looking for some cool-looking rock LP covers to put on my work room wall; they all were priced accordingly so gently caress paying 20 on old Aerosmith LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Sometimes it's just a pain to sell odds and ends. I'd rather drop off an extra Pyrex bowl at a thrift shop than bother with listing it on eBay or something, packaging it up, etc.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I need to get used to pulling the drat trigger in thrift stores. I saw a very cool piece of stained glass in the window the first time I passed by an excellent local Salvation Army. The next time I was in town, I went inside just in case they had the stained glass; of course they didn't, but they had a tabletop induction element labeled in Chinese for a steal. I did not buy it. It goes without saying that it was gone the next time I stopped by to check. :(

If I lived closer, I'd be able to check more often and have a better chance of scoring this stuff on later visits. As it is, I should poo poo or get off the pot the first time I see something I like.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I take pride in the whole dead people stuff thing. If I get something from Goodwill and someone compliments it, I'll say something like "oh yeah thanks, it belonged to a dead guy"

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Hirayuki posted:

I need to get used to pulling the drat trigger in thrift stores. I saw a very cool piece of stained glass in the window the first time I passed by an excellent local Salvation Army. The next time I was in town, I went inside just in case they had the stained glass; of course they didn't, but they had a tabletop induction element labeled in Chinese for a steal. I did not buy it. It goes without saying that it was gone the next time I stopped by to check. :(

If I lived closer, I'd be able to check more often and have a better chance of scoring this stuff on later visits. As it is, I should poo poo or get off the pot the first time I see something I like.

Yeah whatever you spot at the thrift store will not be there next time, so get it if you’re even about 60/40 on whether you want it.

Also never set anything down or walk away from it if you’re interested. In your arms/basket/cart at all times.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Yeah whatever you spot at the thrift store will not be there next time, so get it if you’re even about 60/40 on whether you want it.

Also never set anything down or walk away from it if you’re interested. In your arms/basket/cart at all times.

no, in your arms at all times because people absolutely will nick poo poo out of your basket/cart if given the chance

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Never mind thrift stores, most of my stuff at home used to belong to one or more dead people so I don't see what the big deal is.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

no, in your arms at all times because people absolutely will nick poo poo out of your basket/cart if given the chance

My friend found a huge antique bamboo bird cage at the Goodwill bins and was walking around with it in her cart and some woman paid her $20 for it (and then paid Goodwill another $5 for it), so sometimes they will buy it off you as well.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Captain Invictus posted:

Keep the cart within sight at all times yeah. People are ruthless sometimes.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
All those size XXXL Hawaiian shirts would also be mine if you find any. Haven't been thriftin in awhile. Thanks for reminding me about it thrift thread!

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

Today I decided I really needed a landline phone. And of course I went with the classiest option available.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mondo Gatto posted:

Today I decided I really needed a landline phone. And of course I went with the classiest option available.

This is amazing.

How much does a land-line cost these days?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slimy Hog posted:

How much does a land-line cost these days?

I haven't had a landline in about 10 years and it was about $25 a month. I just checked and it's now $38 a month. The only features being Caller ID and Call Waiting. Long distance service is extra.

gently caress that.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
My grandmother has had the same phone number for 50 years but had to switch to voip because they don't offer regular telephone service in her area anymore.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fools Infinite posted:

My grandmother has had the same phone number for 50 years but had to switch to voip because they don't offer regular telephone service in her area anymore.

I used to work for an old dude. One of those "lived through the Depression" types. Insanely cheap. At one point he still had hard-wired dial telephones. For what he was paying in rental fees, he could have bought a then-modern touchtone phone once a month and thrown them in the trash.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Theyre still more reliable since they are harder to interrupt in an emergency. That being said yes their time is gone

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's some sort of leather (or pleather) painted and hardened on one side. Probably with some sort of lacquer.

There's this little flap of skin that I assume is meant for hanging it up on a wall. Instead I'm going to film it for a cursed video in a haunted house.

I went to Goodwill looking for a good old fashioned 4:3 tube TV to display that video on but those seem to be extinct enough that even after going through several stores the best I could find was beat up early flat screens.

The closest I came was this thing which isn't quite big enough for my purposes but still pretty cool

Ask someone at your local Goodwill if they know of any locations that sell them. There's still one in my area that sells them for $3.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I ended up getting one from a random person on Facebook.

Sometime later I saw that tiny portable TV used as a prop in a homoerotic splatter vampire film

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

FreudianSlippers posted:

I went to Goodwill looking for a good old fashioned 4:3 tube TV to display that video on but those seem to be extinct enough that even after going through several stores the best I could find was beat up early flat screens.

Lots of places just don't accept CRTs any more because they're hard to get rid of, take up a lot of space, and are worth pennies even if they can sell them. Same goes for VHS tapes, audio cassettes, and games older that PS3-era.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sweevo posted:

Lots of places just don't accept CRTs any more because they're hard to get rid of, take up a lot of space, and are worth pennies even if they can sell them. Same goes for VHS tapes, audio cassettes, and games older that PS3-era.

I'm surprised the retro videogame market wouldn't lift some of those higher, even with emulation and the ability to download older games, some people still want the cartridges.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I think everyone who still owns NES/SNES/Mega Drive/etc cartridges knows they can get more for them on ebay, and people looking to buy them aren't expecting to find them in random thrift stores any more unless they get lucky.

Shop staff also aren't experts on retro gaming. If you tell them to accept old video games then you'll end up with shelves full of PS1 wrestling games and 15 year old versions of FIFA/Madden that nobody will ever buy. Same with VHS, maybe the Disney stuff still sells, but they don't want X-Files box sets, celebrity workout videos from 1997, or 30 copies each of Titanic, The Matrix, and Austin Powers 2.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Dec 19, 2019

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It is kind of crazy. When I was a student, I used to go to these death auctions/estate sales. Everything had a little tag to bid by proxy, but otherwise everything started from £1. It was fortunate I didn't have a car because otherwise I would have drowned under vintage electronics.

I bought a Sony Trinitron CRT for £1 for a Dreamcast I bought on eBay to mess around with, and the only reason I didn't buy it's massive older brother was because I physically couldn't carry it lol. Whole place was just populated by old fogeys and a few antiques dealers from a different town, it was madness. If I had unlimited space and time, I probably could have walked out of that place with every single piece of Bang and Olufsen gear made from like 1960-1990 for less than £100 total.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sweevo posted:

I think everyone who still owns NES/SNES/Mega Drive/etc cartridges knows they can get more for them on ebay, and people looking to buy them aren't expecting to find them in random thrift stores any more unless they get lucky.

Shop staff also aren't experts on retro gaming. If you tell them to accept old video games then you'll end up with shelves full of PS1 wrestling games and 15 year old versions of FIFA/Madden that nobody will ever buy. Same with VHS, maybe the Disney stuff still sells, but they don't want X-Files box sets, celebrity workout videos from 1997, or 30 copies each of Titanic, The Matrix, and Austin Powers 2.

Judging from what Clint shows in LGR Thrifts, you can absolutely find retro game stuff in Goodwills. Most of them are smart enough to bundle up good condition NESes + games + accessories and slap a $100+ price tag on 'em, and otherwise they often do have old PS1/PS2-era crap lying around. Not endless rows of Maddens, no, but definitely an assortment ranging from trash to stuff you've actually heard of. And sometimes if you're lucky they'll even have the disc inside!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

This is a sick as hell fan. Not $1100 sick. But cool nonetheless.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
An old patch:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

One of the problems is that like all collectibles there's a pretty small subset of things that are actually appreciably valuable and a deluge of poo poo. A mint copy of Final Fantasy 1 with all of the goodies is worth quite a lot. A battered Super Pitfall cartridge with no box that gets a shrug when you ask if it still plays is...less so. Guess how many of the first there are and how many of the second. Meanwhile a lot of really lovely video games have been released over the years and you'll end up with a lot of that if you just take whatever.

The stuff people actually want will probably get bought and kept. The stuff getting dumped on thrift stores would generally not be that.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Goodwill also runs an Ebay'esque site called https://www.shopgoodwill.com where they send most anything valuable. You won't find much of real value at Goodwill unless it is something really obscure or you get lucky that someone is not doing their job properly. A friend of mine has a job with them where he goes through EVERYTHING that comes into the big center here and if it is collectible or worth anything it goes up on that site.

A search for Sega has 290 results...

Trastion has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Dec 19, 2019

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Yeah, the $10k+ NES Stadium Events ebay auction basically got so much news attention that someone at Goodwill got wise 10 years ago and started setting aside all video games for their own auction site. Very few retro games get put out on their store shelves.

I only go for random treasure hunting now.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
There's still stuff out there that's not Goodwill, though. I got four Turbo Graphix games for a dollar each at the Salvation Army store in my town. Not as good as the copy of panzer dragoon saga I got at a game store for $40, but a deal nonetheless.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So glad I got all I wanted back in 06-07 before all this got crazy. I cleaned up at value village man. NES, Genesis for like 10 bucks a pop. I got most of what I have in one big score at a garage sale though, like 4 nes' and a garbage bag of accessories and games for 20 bucks. I also got ALTTP CIB on ebay during those times for about 30 bucks. Ghouls n' Ghosts about the same.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trastion posted:

Goodwill also runs an Ebay'esque site called https://www.shopgoodwill.com where they send most anything valuable. You won't find much of real value at Goodwill unless it is something really obscure or you get lucky that someone is not doing their job properly. A friend of mine has a job with them where he goes through EVERYTHING that comes into the big center here and if it is collectible or worth anything it goes up on that site.

A search for Sega has 290 results...

Try to not shop at Goodwill, if possible.
Their CEO rakes in millions of dollars and thinks they should be able to pay mentally disabled people less than minimum wage.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Try to not shop at Goodwill, if possible.
Their CEO rakes in millions of dollars and thinks they should be able to pay mentally disabled people less than minimum wage.

Do you have a source I can share with my family?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Slimy Hog posted:

It's not as severe as I remember and the offending CEO has resigned.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/illinois-goodwill-disabled-staff/

Edit:
While I do want to support a company like Goodwill, their profits are really high and mostly only pay minimum wage. It's not a cutsey local secondhand store, it's a titanic chain.
But they also hire a good amount of people that otherwise not be able to work at all so... it's complicated.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Dec 20, 2019

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

Slimy Hog posted:

I worked there and saw abuse on a daily basis. It's a terrible, terrible company.

Edited to add: I had a job much like the obove poster's friend - I went through donations in a warehouse. My job was specifically to go through books, find the ones worth more than .50, and list them on Amazon. As a regular employee, I was paid a somewhat decent enough wage, but the disabled people who were in the "job training" program were treated like prisoners. It was heartbreaking. As much as I love books, and saving old books destined for pulping (that is what happens to most of the books that Goodwill gets and can't profit from,) I couldn't do this job for long.

I did make a really interesting blog about the stuff I found in the bins though.

https://paigerlovesbooks.tumblr.com/

appleskates has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Dec 21, 2019

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
My local store video game selections is almost exclusively ps2 era sports games. It seems like in the last couple years they started adding ps3/360 games. And it’s all sports.

I’m sure they get some non sports games worth about $5. I really don’t get how selling them online is more profitable then in store.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

The American Dream posted:

My local store video game selections is almost exclusively ps2 era sports games. It seems like in the last couple years they started adding ps3/360 games. And it’s all sports.

I’m sure they get some non sports games worth about $5. I really don’t get how selling them online is more profitable then in store.

There’s one Goodwill near me that consistently has a variety of video games. I lucked out on a Dreamcast with controllers and VMU, and last time I was there I got The Force Unleashed game and the complete Cowboy Bebop on Blu Ray.

With the auction site, they bundle a bunch of games, so if you want to get that copy of Paper Mario, you have to buy Madden 2001-5 with it.

My main issue with Goodwill is that they get most of their stock from Target, and even though they will have literal shelves full of the same item priced way too high, and none of that stuff will go away for a month.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I've been to a whole lotta thrift stores and Goodwill is consistly the absolute worst. Their selection is bad, and everything is priced far too high, especially books.

Also, they are supposedly a non-profit, but the CEO takes an 800k per year salary (plus benefits).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've been to a whole lotta thrift stores and Goodwill is consistly the absolute worst. Their selection is bad, and everything is priced far too high, especially books.

Also, they are supposedly a non-profit, but the CEO takes an 800k per year salary (plus benefits).

That's why they don't make a profit.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I found someone's molars in a jacket I was trying on. I can't remember if I bought the jacket or not.

Found an NES in box mint with basically all the papers and advertisements inside for very cheap around 2003-2004 and thought I struck gold.

I still kick myself for not buying almost every 80s Depeche Mode album on vinyl at the goodwill around that time. I bought the 101 live album for my friends birthday but he left it in his car and it melted.

edit: Wisdom teeth is the word I was looking for. Makes a little more sense

Fors Yard has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Goodwills vary depending on the store. I go to a NY one pretty regularly because it’s on my way to work, usually it’s nothing special but I’ve struck gold before (most recently my 60s Smith-Corona and a Schott peacoat). There’s another one I go to across the CT border, because it’s right next to a Savers, and that one is always trash (and way overpriced trash).

Savers, on the other hand, has a pretty decent selection, is usually pretty clean and well organized, and is only slightly overpriced.