Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I thought it was supposed to be bad even compared to VHS and they degrade pretty fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I have a couple of these of Disney films I grew up with! Got them out of sheer nostalgia and just the weirdness of the CED format. Always wondered how good/bad/indifferent the quality is in contemporary and modern terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU

Let Techmoan show you how.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

That was pretty interesting. Even if they don't work it might be cool to get some discs of movies I like and put them in record frames

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I have a couple of these of Disney films I grew up with! Got them out of sheer nostalgia and just the weirdness of the CED format. Always wondered how good/bad/indifferent the quality is in contemporary and modern terms.

Here, have a video!

edit: nm, beaten severely because I left this window open overnight

I got stuck deep in the rabbit hole with this channel.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Thanks for this! I love how "glitched" bad machines/discs can get!

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Didn't buy it because I'm pretty sure it's impossible to play now. I doubt the people who work there even know what this is.

I saw this a while ago

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's like being back in 1997.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I had a friend who worked at Circuit City, the poor bastard had to push everyone about this great DivX technology that no one wanted or had asked for. "What, the movie breaks? I want a DVD player that won't break my movies."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

I saw this a while ago

:psypop: There has to be some way to reuse those discs, right? Or extract the media files or something?

edit: knowing more about the technology, I now know that the answer is no unless someone can mirror long-defunct account servers

root beer has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Jun 7, 2017

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Please do an A/T thread!

Goodwill Outlet: brand new (as in, still shrinkwrapped) Apples to Apples game for 35 cents. Also the most amazing grandma-goes-to-church hat covered in silk flowers that the guy just shrugged at and said "Take it" when I asked the price.
-- Incidentally, if you see a brand-new toy or game at a thrift store and it has all its pieces, buy it and give it to a teacher friend. Or donate it elsewhere. You would be surprised how much of their own money teachers have to spend to get basic supplies for their classrooms, let alone fun stuff.

I've also gotten buttloads of designer clothes and shoes that are absolutely brand-new, some with the tags still on. For example, I bought a Kate Spade t-shirt for three bucks last summer. Tags. Got Coach shoes for five. Totally nuts.

Dinosaur mood necklace (it totally works, you guys, I feel blue and it's blue RIGHT NOW!)

An organ (my brother found this; it was great until his cat scratched a hole in it)

Terrifying outsider art. If you want an inexpensive housewarming gift for your weird friend, go to Goodwill and buy a scary-ugly painting. It will be cheap as chips and your weird friend will think you are a wacky good time.

A whole bunch of used needles and Kleenex! Oh, Goodwill Outlet, you are a magical and terrible place.

Also, never discount thrift shops in lovely towns; they frequently have the best weird poo poo. I was stuck in Spokane for 24 hours last summer and could have easily spent over a hundred bucks on vintage dress patterns from the 70s, had my husband not reminded me that I can't sew and also don't have a sewing machine and also we live in China so buying a shitload of useless dress patterns to haul back with me would have been stupid.

Uh, people sell patterns on taobao. You may have missed an opportunity there.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I had a pretty good VHS hall the other day, including terminator two, kids, and a 1984 Star Wars.

And a sick Cohiba ashtray but I'm going to give that to my dad for Father's Day

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Titus Sardonicus posted:

:psypop: There has to be some way to reuse those discs, right? Or extract the media files or something?

edit: knowing more about the technology, I now know that the answer is no unless someone can mirror long-defunct account servers

I looked it up after seeing those and yeah there's no hack or any other way to play them now.

I considered buying one just for the novelty but they were $2 each, maybe for 50 cents I would have gotten one. I also checked the electronics section to see if there was an actual Divx player as well, but nope.

Sometimes they have legit VCDs there too, usually Asian movies but I did pick up Executive Decision for 50 cents once.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, so did they seriously invent an unbreakable DRM, only to use it on a retarded video rental scheme? :eyepop:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

DivX used a barcode printed on a part of the disc, that the machine would read to assess a disc's (watched or unwatched?) status, which was monitored on DivX account servers. I imagine that if the servers still existed, someone would have figured out a way to hack it, but that poo poo didn't last.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I bought a huge basket for $20. Still too much, but you could fit a four-year-old in there. It'll be cool for living history as long as people don't make too many dumb comments (some old lady asked if I was going to put a baby in it WHILE I WAS STILL AT THE COUNTER. Seriously)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

trickybiscuits posted:

I bought a huge basket for $20. Still too much, but you could fit a four-year-old in there. It'll be cool for living history as long as people don't make too many dumb comments (some old lady asked if I was going to put a baby in it WHILE I WAS STILL AT THE COUNTER. Seriously)

What do you mean, living history?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

this post concerns me. Are you planning to keep a baby in that basket for "history"?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

What do you mean, living history?

Basically you dress up like a old timey person and churn butter or do blacksmithing or whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VgTtzukqPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pUHi3ZV4r0

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

I had knee surgery two hours before, so clearly I wasn't in my right mind when I decided not to buy this.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Jesus loving Christ, you are the MASTER.

I have a spidey sense for this, high/mid end fashion on a low budget is my hobby. I recently bought an embarrassment of DMC brand and vintage cross stitch supplies for peanuts.

Knowing your tags and knowing your fabrics and construction is supper important. Also knowing what is a diffusion line (eg Marc by Marc Jacobs), defunct lines (eg Chaps, Rugby, Polo Jeans Co, Lauren by Ralph Lauren) and vintage brand lables (eg Rive Gauche by Christian Dior). And being selective about what you do buy, I've put down Paul Smith, YSL, Ted Baker, Prada items because they will never fit and or physically have seen the last of their good days.

Also checking where things are made - some things like Pierre Cardin were made in Australia under licence there. There are also swathes of local designers who have cult followings with collector's (Easton Pearson for example I have a dress that probs retailed around 150 for 5)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I found Super Smash Bros Melee for $3 at Goodwill once.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Anyone in Spain? EVERYTHING at Humana is two Euro this month. It is loving great. Of course, it necessitates more than the usual amount of picking through crap, but I've spent twenty Euro already and I've only been here for five days.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Found a pair of these little guys at the store yesterday. $15. Some of the cleanest sound I've heard at modest volumes.

ThanatosOfOne
Mar 24, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Found a pair of these little guys at the store yesterday. $15. Some of the cleanest sound I've heard at modest volumes.

Those advents are amazing. If the woofer surrounds are degraded get them fixed don't replace the woofers

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

ThanatosOfOne posted:

Those advents are amazing. If the woofer surrounds are degraded get them fixed don't replace the woofers

They're in great shape!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I refurbished a "refurbished" Pulaski tool I got from a Habitat For Humanity store for $20.

The original "refurbish" was spraying the head with a weird matte dark red paint and that's about it. The handle was rough and splintery and the head was loose.

So I dug the wedge out piece by piece and pulled the head off, sanded, stained, painted and put a satin clearcoat on the handle, sanded all the red junk off the head and painted it Forest Service Green.

Also here's a cool old photo I found when I was trying to find a close match for the color:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
... why would you paint an ax head? Won't eight chip off as soon as you use it?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

It rubs off at the edge and at the widest part of the sides eventually, but otherwise it doesn't really go anywhere. Also it makes it look nice next to my mason jars and vintage arrows

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Some of my best finds from the Goodwill Outlet here...

1936 Hammond 'Empress' electric clock

1970s Nishijin pachinko game

Sweet 12" 'Galaxy' oscillating fan, probably 70s or 80s, and the one behind it which is Dayton branded with slightly different controls but probably made by the same manufacturer.

1950s Kitchenaid K4-B stand mixer

Working 1970s Hewlett Package type 67 calculator

Also one of these in amber, missing the shade unfortunately: https://www.interior-deluxe.com/new-classic-desir-table-lamp-from-penta.html

super nailgun has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Jul 29, 2017

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

super nailgun posted:

Some of my best finds from the Goodwill Outlet here...

1936 Hammond 'Empress' electric clock

1970s Nishijin pachinko game

Sweet 12" 'Galaxy' oscillating fan, probably 70s or 80s, and the one behind it which is Dayton branded with slightly different controls but probably made by the same manufacturer.

1950s Kitchenaid K4-B stand mixer

Working 1970s Hewlett Package type 67 calculator

Also one of these in amber, missing the shade unfortunately: https://www.interior-deluxe.com/new-classic-desir-table-lamp-from-penta.html

Where is this glorious Goodwill with such rad poo poo?

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Where is this glorious Goodwill with such rad poo poo?

Portland, where twenty somethings go to retire off income from flipping thrift store poo poo on eBay.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yes, but it won't be rusting until then, and it's less messy than oiling it.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

super nailgun posted:

I found one of these at a thrift store too under the name Star-Aire, minus the cage. It's a sweet fan if you keep your fingers clear of it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Quoting myself from the bootleg thread

EmmyOk posted:

I was hitting the charity shops today because they sell the best clothes obviously when I found this

Still less on the nose than the Jesus imagery in Man of Steel tbh

SterlingArcher
Sep 19, 2010
Hey

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I found some plate armor replicas, a helmet and some gauntlets. $50.

One time our local Salvation Army got a ton of stuff from Hot Topic. My niece loved their stuff. There was a shirt she'd wanted, and lo and behold, here it was, original tags still on it. $3 instead of $45. So I got it for her, with her mother's approval. I gave it to her for her birthday, where she was thrilled. Fit perfectly. Great, right? One day while she's wearing it her bitch mother says, "By the way, KK got that at Salvation Army." Suddenly it wasn't fitting her right, it was too large/small/long/short/black. I am so loving glad those people are out of my life.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

One time our local Salvation Army got a ton of stuff from Hot Topic. My niece loved their stuff. There was a shirt she'd wanted, and lo and behold, here it was, original tags still on it. $3 instead of $45. So I got it for her, with her mother's approval. I gave it to her for her birthday, where she was thrilled. Fit perfectly. Great, right? One day while she's wearing it her bitch mother says, "By the way, KK got that at Salvation Army." Suddenly it wasn't fitting her right, it was too large/small/long/short/black. I am so loving glad those people are out of my life.

Cool story bro.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wall decoration. :australia:

The console nobody liked in the mid-90s. Came with a copy of Virtua Cop.

Picture I bought ages ago.

EDIT: This as well.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Aug 4, 2017

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Is that store in Manhattan? Looks familiar.

I work at a junk store and it is a nightmare. But sometimes you get some cool stuff. Rarely.

Some of mine:
- Neon MTA winter jacket
- X-acto Powerhouse Pencil Sharpener
- Mac And Me on VHS
- 250 sheet stapler
- Simpsons season 6 DVDs

eminkey2003 has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Aug 18, 2017