Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also they keep saying true 4k/native 4k but also talk about checkerboarding, which is a very clever thing, but also works on the ps4 pro to get HZD up to 4k so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad to see you guys haven't changed.

I bet that any games announced for this thing will probably show up closer to E3 if they exist. Who knows? Let's whip ourselves into a frenzy until then. ;p

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

We, much like the list of Xbox exclusives, haven't grown.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I bet that any games announced for this thing will probably show up closer to E3 if they exist. Who knows? Let's whip ourselves into a frenzy until then. ;p

I don't think the games are the issue here.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I like how they're naming it to match half the gamertags on Xbox Live.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

I don't think the games are the issue here.

It seems to be for some people posting in this thread.

That's okay I guess.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

trash person posted:

I'm going to buy this despite having an Xbox one S and a decent gaming pc but why am I?????

Because my dear, it is what is expected of people like you to do.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sounds like they fixed the bad-yet-somehow-expensive hardware that plagued the Xbone. They definitely made a powerful machine. Looks like it will beat the PS4Pro on a technical level by quite a bit.

However, I don't think the big problem with the Xbone this generation was really the poor hardware. Sure, it did sway some people toward a PS4, but most consumers don't pay attention to the details of that stuff. The Xbone had a terrible launch: increased focus on other media instead of games, forced Kinect, terrible game authorization, extremely limited regional releases and support, more expensive than the PS4, and it lacked some killer games (or killer games that ended up underwhelming).

It did recover a bit later with a reduced price, removal of Kinect nearly entirely (despite it being touted as "required" for the system to work), changes to their game verification policies, and just having more games available.

However, it still wasn't quite enough. The Xbone has been getting clobbered this generation, minus a few good months in the US. It has fewer games, both multiplatform and exclusives. Games don't run as well as they do on the PS4, the hardware limitations are starting to show. It still cost too much for what you were getting compared to the competition. And as the PS4 got more popular, more people were drawn away from the Xbone.

The PS4Pro just widened that gap - not only more powerful than the PS4, but still the same price, played all the old games, made new games look better, etc.

I don't think the Xbone Scorpio will change some of the fundamental failures of the Xbone.

Being the second-to-market console refresh, people will on the surface associate it as equivalent to the PS4Pro, even if it is quite a bit more powerful. Also, is it really going to cost $500, the first Xbone wasn't expensive enough?

Most importantly, they need to advertise new games. Sony had some big games coming out right around the launch of the PS4 Pro - Last Guardian a couple months later, Horizon and MLB The Show a couple months after that. Are Microsoft still really talking about the same Forza game for the 5th time?

Doesn't it already have games, anything currently on the Xbone?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

To be clear, then: Project Scorpio doesn't feature Ryzen cores,

Poor xbone community was so convinced. Back to "Graphics don't matter" i guess.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
No name reveal, no box reveal, no games reveal. Boring.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bloodychill posted:

No name reveal, no box reveal, no games reveal. Boring.

And no price reveal.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Crows Turn Off posted:

and it lacked some killer games (or killer games that ended up underwhelming)

I bought a Xbone because it was either a PS4 or Xbone at the time, and Xbone had more planned games that I wanted. Then they cancelled some of them, made the rest work on Windows 10, and then I was left with a console that wasn't worth having anymore and never would be worth having

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

signalnoise posted:

I bought a Xbone because it was either a PS4 or Xbone at the time, and Xbone had more planned games that I wanted. Then they cancelled some of them, made the rest work on Windows 10, and then I was left with a console that wasn't worth having anymore and never would be worth having

Duped by the RAM

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I have an Xbox for what is literally the only reason to choose a console. It's where my real life friends play

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

Sounds like they fixed the bad-yet-somehow-expensive hardware that plagued the Xbone. They definitely made a powerful machine. Looks like it will beat the PS4Pro on a technical level by quite a bit.

However, I don't think the big problem with the Xbone this generation was really the poor hardware. Sure, it did sway some people toward a PS4, but most consumers don't pay attention to the details of that stuff. The Xbone had a terrible launch: increased focus on other media instead of games, forced Kinect, terrible game authorization, extremely limited regional releases and support, more expensive than the PS4, and it lacked some killer games (or killer games that ended up underwhelming).

It did recover a bit later with a reduced price, removal of Kinect nearly entirely (despite it being touted as "required" for the system to work), changes to their game verification policies, and just having more games available.

However, it still wasn't quite enough. The Xbone has been getting clobbered this generation, minus a few good months in the US. It has fewer games, both multiplatform and exclusives. Games don't run as well as they do on the PS4, the hardware limitations are starting to show. It still cost too much for what you were getting compared to the competition. And as the PS4 got more popular, more people were drawn away from the Xbone.

The PS4Pro just widened that gap - not only more powerful than the PS4, but still the same price, played all the old games, made new games look better, etc.

I don't think the Xbone Scorpio will change some of the fundamental failures of the Xbone.

Being the second-to-market console refresh, people will on the surface associate it as equivalent to the PS4Pro, even if it is quite a bit more powerful. Also, is it really going to cost $500, the first Xbone wasn't expensive enough?

Most importantly, they need to advertise new games. Sony had some big games coming out right around the launch of the PS4 Pro - Last Guardian a couple months later, Horizon and MLB The Show a couple months after that. Are Microsoft still really talking about the same Forza game for the 5th time?

Doesn't it already have games, anything currently on the Xbone?

the poor hardware is what counts early on when the people buying are more "hardcore" or whatever and pay attention to that. after that it just becomes inertia.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
That's some pretty high computer number, sure, but what's the incentive for developers to do the work to make their games run better on this dumb machine? Is MS going to pay them?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's some pretty high computer number, sure, but what's the incentive for developers to do the work to make their games run better on this dumb machine? Is MS going to pay them?

Same but for the Switch.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Minus the high computer numbers though.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I might buy this thing if someone mods it to enable a full and 100% working Windows installation, otherwise :lol:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chairman Wao posted:

Same but for the Switch.

Yes indeed, those two things are both video game consoles

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
Checkerbound

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If they put out a new and good 4k Viva Pinata game I would be all over the Xbonesx.

Agree this "reveal" was kind of lame. I mean I guess they did say it was a spec reveal and me assuming we might get a price and some visuals might have been my fault.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Agree this "reveal" was kind of lame. I mean I guess they did say it was a spec reveal and me assuming we might get a price and some visuals might have been my fault.
Digital Foundry is all numbers and technobabble, so a reveal through them being just numbers and technobabble isn't shocking.

I am surprised at the lack of a Unreal-based tech demo, though - that engine's used for a lot more stuff than ForzaTech, and Microsoft have Gears 4 just sitting around waiting to be used for something like this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

If they put out a new and good 4k Viva Pinata game I would be all over the Xbonesx.

just get it for pc though

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

there are no scorpio exclusive games

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Should've gone with Hank Scorpio.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how can he even see the p's with those glasses?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"Wait-where the hell's the exclusives??"

PS4 fighting to keep mouth shut: i uunno

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

"Wait-where the hell's the exclusives??"

PS4 fighting to keep mouth shut: i uunno

we miss you

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bring back old bring back old gbs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CrashCat posted:

bring back old bring back old gbs

didn't you hear? the old 32mbs is not coming back

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

so does this make the new console the xBONEx ?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

please wait to laugh at the name until they give it to us because it will be funnier than anything we make up.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Bolow posted:

so does this make the new console the xBONEx ?

xbonx

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm personally hoping its just xbox so that there are 3 consoles caught in the confusion web

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yoooooooooo I played the gently caress out of this on sega cd lmaoooo i think it was the sequel

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nvm it was this one:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bring back old gbs posted:

nvm it was this one:

Even his chin has a gut. Truly, Chuck is the final SA goon form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

• Locked thread