Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

univbee posted:

There is close to zero chance of either of these things happening.

How about a vanilla Windows port with full legacy application support? cause that might also tip the scales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

There is close to zero chance of either of these things happening.

The only way that is happening is if Microsoft becomes "The Terminator" in this meme image:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

How about a vanilla Windows port with full legacy application support? cause that might also tip the scales

have u ever created a pivot table....... IN 4K?!?!?!?!?!?!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

abagofcheetos posted:

have u ever created a pivot table....... IN 4K?!?!?!?!?!?!

They could team up with Steam and release it as a legit compelling Steam box

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They could team up with Steam

This is almost as big a fantasy as a new Fable made by CD Projeckt Red.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Realpost if MS is gonna charge 600 bucks for this thing they'd be better off just competing with the Alienware and Steambox market and making a 600 dollar PC that can play Windows 10 games without having to load the rest of Windows 10, using a built-in game browser like Big Picture mode except being able to run whatever the gently caress w10 game you want, or load into Windows10 mode and have an actual PC OS there.

Hell if I could buy that, something like a steam machine except it would actually have a game library, and could play games with minimal OS background bullshit running, I would probably buy that instead of building my next PC

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Realpost if MS is gonna charge 600 bucks for this thing they'd be better off just competing with the Alienware and Steambox market and making a 600 dollar PC that can play Windows 10 games without having to load the rest of Windows 10, using a built-in game browser like Big Picture mode except being able to run whatever the gently caress w10 game you want, or load into Windows10 mode and have an actual PC OS there.

Hell if I could buy that, something like a steam machine except it would actually have a game library, and could play games with minimal OS background bullshit running, I would probably buy that instead of building my next PC

I don't think this is actually possible, though, at least not for $599US, or other companies would have done so already. Given that it's almost guaranteed all Xbox "exclusives" will also work on Windows 10 you can get pretty close to accomplishing this at the performances they claim and you can just configure your Windows 10 install to boot straight into Big Picture mode, it's just not really doable currently for $599US unless you seriously lowball the graphics card like by getting a 1050 (which will be decent-ish for 1080p but not for 4K).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

but what if they did it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

but what if they did it

What if they gave everyone Scorpios for free and made all games/DLC/microtransactions/online play free? They'd totally win this gen.

PCPartsPicker is down but it looks like the cheapest you can build a PC for if you luck out with sales/MIR is around $550 (this is with an i5, 8 gigs of RAM and no optical drive) but WITHOUT a graphics card or any input devices, so whichever graphics card you get will have to be added on top of that; for PS4 Pro-equivalent performance you'll need to pay at least $170 or so for the graphics card, and for what Microsoft is claiming, the graphics card cost is closer to $375. And if you don't currently have a controller that's an extra $60 on top of that.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2017

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
even microsoft would go bankrupt if they tried giving everyone all of the DOA 5 dlc for free

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this time they did it right guys. its gonna happen

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I mean here's the situation:

The consoles in order of power are Xbox One (original and S), PS4 (original and slim), PS4 Pro, Xbox Scorpio. They will likely be in that order as far as price is concerned, as well.

As it stands, the PS4 Pro is $399 US, and combined with the original PS4 has an install base double the Xbox One, various exclusivity deals with major franchises like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and Destiny, and a substantially larger library in all respects than Xbox One has. At this time, the PS4 Pro hasn't had a price drop or sale. The PS4 Pro has some games which run at 4K natively, mostly sports and indie titles, with most of the "AAA" releases being somewhere between 1080p and 1800p (1440p being especially common) with checkerboarding to upscale to 4K.

The Scorpio is estimated to cost more than the PS4 Pro currently costs (between $449US and $699US, with most reasonable esimates pegging at least $499US) and will have increased power, likely meaning at least a decent chunk of the 1440p-1800p games being capable of native 4K graphics and possibly other enhancements. That said, we don't currently have verified information about this exactly, and comparisons between what a game looks like when it's, say, 1440p upscaled to 4K, versus native 4K, and whether that will be enough of a difference to sway people who may not even have a 4K TV (will Scorpio games look/play massively better at 1080p than those same games on a PS4 Pro at 1080p?) are already heavily invested in the PS4 and may even have a PS4 Pro to plonk down what could well be half a grand or more for improved performance which may not be that substantial, not to mention that even $499US becomes stupidly expensive when converted for international markets and won't exactly have these PS4-dominated regions lining up to buy one. Like, it's not impossible to it becomes some sort of runaway success, but it's really really unlikely given what we've seen historically (the PS4 vs Xbox One generation is the only time the "most powerful" console of the gen won, and that likely had more to do with the DRM backlash and higher cost of the Xbox One more than anything else).

And even if the Scorpio launches at $399US, that would likely result in the PS4 Pro's official price being $349US with a game bundled in and the PS4 slim possibly dropping to $249US and Black Friday deals taking advantage of this (which likely won't happen with the Scorpio this year); what happens then?

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 8, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah it'll be a miracle if the price is under 500 bucks. Even then, Sony will be posed to just gently caress it over in holiday sales (hello exclusivity deals on destiny and cod this year!).

If you don't need a 4k player, it's a tough sell for Xbone. You'd have to really really like Forza. Halo is just not as good as it used to be. Can't say anything about gears, but looks to be the same as the last 4 games.

They do have better backwards compatibility, I think Sony will try and make sure the ps5 can play all ps4 games. Microsoft is already working on a strategy of you keeping your library going forward.

At least they did something about the wrong kind of ram.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

univbee posted:

I mean here's the situation:

The consoles in order of power are Xbox One (original and S), PS4 (original and slim), PS4 Pro, Xbox Scorpio. They will likely be in that order as far as price is concerned, as well.

As it stands, the PS4 Pro is $399 US, and combined with the original PS4 has an install base double the Xbox One, various exclusivity deals with major franchises like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and Destiny, and a substantially larger library in all respects than Xbox One has. At this time, the PS4 Pro hasn't had a price drop or sale. The PS4 Pro has some games which run at 4K natively, mostly sports and indie titles, with most of the "AAA" releases being somewhere between 1080p and 1800p (1440p being especially common) with checkerboarding to upscale to 4K.

The Scorpio is estimated to cost more than the PS4 Pro currently costs (between $449US and $699US, with most reasonable esimates pegging at least $499US) and will have increased power, likely meaning at least a decent chunk of the 1440p-1800p games being capable of native 4K graphics and possibly other enhancements. That said, we don't currently have verified information about this exactly, and comparisons between what a game looks like when it's, say, 1440p upscaled to 4K, versus native 4K, and whether that will be enough of a difference to sway people who may not even have a 4K TV (will Scorpio games look/play massively better at 1080p than those same games on a PS4 Pro at 1080p?) are already heavily invested in the PS4 and may even have a PS4 Pro to plonk down what could well be half a grand or more for improved performance which may not be that substantial, not to mention that even $499US becomes stupidly expensive when converted for international markets and won't exactly have these PS4-dominated regions lining up to buy one. Like, it's not impossible to it becomes some sort of runaway success, but it's really really unlikely given what we've seen historically (the PS4 vs Xbox One generation is the only time the "most powerful" console of the gen won, and that likely had more to do with the DRM backlash and higher cost of the Xbox One more than anything else).

And even if the Scorpio launches at $399US, that would likely result in the PS4 Pro's official price being $349US with a game bundled in and the PS4 slim possibly dropping to $249US and Black Friday deals taking advantage of this (which likely won't happen with the Scorpio this year); what happens then?

I don't think you're wrong, but I really don't see much of a marketplace for 'that expensive console that doesn't have the good exclusives but can play some multiplat games better than the competition'.

I'd be very surprised to see MS even glance Steam's way, but from my perspective I don't see any benefits for me to have them whine about how I should play my x86 games :shrug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

If you don't need a 4k player

Let's be real here: who does?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah it'll be a miracle if the price is under 500 bucks. Even then, Sony will be posed to just gently caress it over in holiday sales (hello exclusivity deals on destiny and cod this year!).

If you don't need a 4k player, it's a tough sell for Xbone. You'd have to really really like Forza. Halo is just not as good as it used to be. Can't say anything about gears, but looks to be the same as the last 4 games.

They do have better backwards compatibility, I think Sony will try and make sure the ps5 can play all ps4 games. Microsoft is already working on a strategy of you keeping your library going forward.

At least they did something about the wrong kind of ram.

Also I'd be surprised to hear it'd expand their install base much, I bet a lot of Scorpio sales will be offset by XGamerz selling their old 'bone to some dude for cheap - which might arguably be seen as a growing install base, but could you just imagine the press conference where MS announced they'd be including estimated second-hand sales in their numbers? I could, and it makes me laugh

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

univbee posted:

4k TVs apparently sell pretty well, I guess it depends on how long it takes for people to recognize their lovely eyesight makes the resolution immaterial when you're sitting 5+ feet away

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

Yeah that's fair.

This is probably how it goes.

Number of people who want a 4k player >number of people who want a more powerful ps4 pro>number of people who want xbox exclusives>number of people who want to buy a Scorpio.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Then good luck having the whole PCMR telling you overpaid on a not gaming console

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

4k TVs apparently sell pretty well, I guess it depends on how long it takes for people to recognize their lovely eyesight makes the resolution immaterial when you're sitting 5+ feet away

There's a difference between 4K TV's and actual UHD Blu-ray players, though. Very very few people actually buy physical releases of movies and TV shows anymore (other than Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks releases for kids), and that number has seriously cratered with the presence of solutions like Netflix instant and digital movie rental. 4K TV's generally sell well because that's all they make now in the upper size tiers, like if you're going to buy a TV that's 50" or greater it's pretty much all 4K TV's now. This is a big part of why the PS4 Pro doesn't have a player: not enough people care even though it's not a massive price difference.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

this time they did it right guys. its gonna happen

The family share luchadore superhero was Phil Spencer all along.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm not saying they should do it at a 600$ price point though. A lot of people pay around 1000 for a gaming pc and they do nothing but gaming and surfing the internet on it. There's a significant amount of people who would buy a steambox, but steamOS is a steaming pile of dog poo poo. They could compete with steamOS and crush it while changing the landscape of the fight but instead they want to compete with the PS4 directly and lose hard. They could instead just make a box for people who buy poo poo from IBuyPower and other companies like that.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

limaCAT posted:

Then good luck having the whole PCMR telling you overpaid on a not gaming console

Well I don't think that's the only one of my decisions they might disagree with :shrug:

I absolutely think the market would be there for an unlocked Scorpio gaming PC with real Windows, if they'd somehow figure out how to manufacture it without losing money

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

A lot of people pay around 1000 for a gaming pc and they do nothing but gaming and surfing the internet on it.

"A lot of people" isn't really as many as you'd think, though, on a "world" scale the number of people who buy PC's with significant graphics cards is pretty low in the grand scheme of things, with the bulk of the most popular PC games being comfortably playable on old embedded Intel GPU's and the like. I think it's exacerbated by the fact that there aren't really PC games being things which are impossible to accomplish on a console anymore, it's not like the days of Crysis 1.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

univbee posted:

"A lot of people" isn't really as many as you'd think, though, on a "world" scale the number of people who buy PC's with significant graphics cards is pretty low in the grand scheme of things, with the bulk of the most popular PC games being comfortably playable on old embedded Intel GPU's and the like. I think it's exacerbated by the fact that there aren't really PC games being things which are impossible to accomplish on a console anymore, it's not like the days of Crysis 1.

I GUESS

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

Do UHD blu-rays still have unskippable nag screens?

I know what my heart tells me, but I want someone to confirm it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

Do UHD blu-rays still have unskippable nag screens?

I know what my heart tells me, but I want someone to confirm it.

Of course!

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

univbee posted:

What if they gave everyone Scorpios for free and made all games/DLC/microtransactions/online play free? They'd totally win this gen.

PCPartsPicker is down but it looks like the cheapest you can build a PC for if you luck out with sales/MIR is around $550 (this is with an i5, 8 gigs of RAM and no optical drive) but WITHOUT a graphics card or any input devices, so whichever graphics card you get will have to be added on top of that; for PS4 Pro-equivalent performance you'll need to pay at least $170 or so for the graphics card, and for what Microsoft is claiming, the graphics card cost is closer to $375. And if you don't currently have a controller that's an extra $60 on top of that.

But you shouldn't be looking at intel (with their markups) and looking at the equivalent Ryzen chip.

Hell this thing uses an APU so it's even cheaper (no need for standalone GPU)

Although you can't buy it today, the closest comparison would be a mid range Ryzen chip + a Vega GPU with modest ram / hdd for 4K gaming.
If AMD's claims hold true (they wont, but will be close) a 1070 equivalent Vega will cost half the price of the 1070, and the Ryzen chip costs half the price of the Intel equiv.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
I can't imagine the Scorpio being cheaper than 600. Their marketing team has spent almost a year trying to gas light day one boners with "premium value." it makes sense from a marketing strategy. The ps3 wasn't a bad console but many didn't see it as worth the premium price tag they were blindsided with.

Plus, Microsoft knows die hard xbox Boyz are dying to say they're back on top, and "I guess it's not that expensive if I trade in my Day One."

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Sex Prospector posted:

I can't imagine the Scorpio being cheaper than 600. Their marketing team has spent almost a year trying to gas light day one boners with "premium value." it makes sense from a marketing strategy. The ps3 wasn't a bad console but many didn't see it as worth the premium price tag they were blindsided with.

Plus, Microsoft knows die hard xbox Boyz are dying to say they're back on top, and "I guess it's not that expensive if I trade in my Day One."
I'd say they're not that stupid and Spencer does seem to have a grip on reality, but you know - MS.

There's really nothing architecturally revealed so far that would warrant the manufacturing cost so high that it would need to be $600. I'd expect $500 max, an extra 4 gigs and a wider bus over the PS4 Pro just doesn't come out to needing to be $200 more. Even at $500 it will have a tough road ahead. There's also nothing preventing them from dropping the OneS down to $250 and launching this at $450 either - that's still 'premium' pricing as compared to the current model.

Yeah, Spencer is saying this as a high-tier device but really, this is pretty much a soft-reboot of the one - of course he can't say that and piss off current owners so he's presenting it as a luxury item, it's really the only way you can talk about it far ahead of release without making it obvious this is a do-over.I believe MS though is fully aware Sony is kicking their rear end and they need this to move units to get the developers back.

Again though, the large caveat - this is MS.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

They could team up with Steam and release it as a legit compelling Steam box
Yes, a 2.3ghz jaguar would be great for current PC titles

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

There really shouldn't be any expectation that scorpio will sell lots of units and close the gap between xbox one and ps4.

Right now they're only presenting this to enthusiasts. But I think the secret strategy is that when we have a new generation roll around, the Scorpio can be posed to be the budget model to play current games in 2020. The new Xbox that releases near the ps5 would become the new scorpio premium model.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox has died as a global console brand. It can only make up distance in a handful of countries where it is still relevant no matter what happens next.

The ps3 was a huge north american failure for so many years, bigger than xbox 1 has been, which is still competative here since na accounts for most of its 20ish million sales. There isnt room anymore for ms to sell 80 million consoles. The window is closed unless ps5 is 600 dollars with no games, that market share is gone.

They are likely just going to try and force change in the console and pc gaming market by making new xboxs into pcs for your tv over the next few cycles. How successful they will be remains to be seen as pc players hate the windows store and console players can barely plug the box in correctly before calling the cs line.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

univbee posted:

I do. I actually had to buy the stupid Samsung UHD player because the X1 S didn't support Atmos at the time and PS4 Pro didn't have the UHD drive in it. Streaming 4K with Atmos isn't really a thing yet.

Of course, having 7.1.4 is a luxury that few are afforded

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I do. I actually had to buy the stupid Samsung UHD player because the X1 S didn't support Atmos at the time and PS4 Pro didn't have the UHD drive in it. Streaming 4K with Atmos isn't really a thing yet.

Of course, having 7.1.4 is a luxury that few are afforded

But that's kind of the thing, you are astronomically the exception to the rule, people are by a huge margin not really buying movies and TV Shows on physical media anymore outside of Disney DVD's (emphasis on DVD) for the kids. Like it's a neat curiosity for some people who might get like Planet Earth II in UHD format to show off their setup, but very very few people invest any real money into a collection anymore with how good Netflix and digital rental are as options.

Beyond the cost of the 7.1.4 system itself, far too few people even have a room at all where they live that would be suitable for it, if they could even "take over" the room with it like those Kinect commercials used to swear you could totally do and no one in your family would get mad.

The only surround sound I can do is with Sony wireless headsets. The only 4K screen I own is on my phone. And I'm way above average with the craziness I get into, I've owned literally thousands of DVD's in a collection that started like the year after the tech hit retail. And I had a LaserDisc player too, still do even.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 13, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Real hurthling! posted:

They are likely just going to try and force change in the console and pc gaming market by making new xboxs into pcs for your tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gonna get a proper reveal at E3, it seems.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NotPositiveGamer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They cant do an hour on games because they only have crackdown, sea of thieves, state of decay 2, halo 6 reveal, cuphead and phatom dust remaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

They cant do an hour on games because they only have crackdown, sea of thieves, state of decay 2, halo 6 reveal, cuphead and phatom dust remaster

"poo poo we're still short, just grab another 2 random old trailers and shove them in there."

-Fable Legends, Scalebound-

• Locked thread