Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I kinda wonder what people are expecting from like a comedy TV show that's about a group of criminals who pretend to be spies or private investigators and spend most of their time bickering with each other. It's just a fun thing to do with a group of characters you can put in a different setting because it's animated and your costs aren't that much higher if you wanna animate something different than before.

Maybe I don't take my cartoons seriously enough, but I never really realized that Archer was a show that people did that with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ChairMaster posted:

I kinda wonder what people are expecting from like a comedy TV show that's about a group of criminals who pretend to be spies or private investigators and spend most of their time bickering with each other. It's just a fun thing to do with a group of characters you can put in a different setting because it's animated and your costs aren't that much higher if you wanna animate something different than before.

Maybe I don't take my cartoons seriously enough, but I never really realized that Archer was a show that people did that with.

I don't really care much about character development or season story arch, I just found this season to be a little light on the jokes.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Ditocoaf posted:

The other seasons were fictional too.

(and a season of Archer dies not need to have an impact on other seasons of Archer to be good.)

pwn posted:

If you can't do a show without a "point" in a cartoon, where can you?
In a show where what happens in one season will directly effect the season after, it's pretty unusual. Not bad, necessarily. Just odd.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ditocoaf posted:

The other seasons were fictional too.

(and a season of Archer dies not need to have an impact on other seasons of Archer to be good.)
No, but it needs to be actually good in order to stand on its own, and this one just wasn't. The story was pretty uninteresting and went nowhere, I thought the characters didn't really work together and mostly it just wasn't very funny at all. It was so meh, I don't think I could've be bothered to comment more than once or twice here throughout the season.

I though South Park suffered the same way by forcing the continuity last season, but at least it was mostly pretty funny. Memba?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The show took itself serious enough to have a continuous story through each of these concept seasons. This time it went to a setting that means absolutely nothing to the overall story.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I liked that they were willing to remix the cast to a setting entirely removed from the ongoing storyline, and I enjoyed the result quite a bit.

As for humor, the number of jokes was definitely fewer in this season, but I think they actually increased the number of jokes that weren't references to previous jokes. That may have contributed to my enjoyment.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

mobby_6kl posted:

No, but it needs to be actually good in order to stand on its own, and this one just wasn't. The story was pretty uninteresting and went nowhere, I thought the characters didn't really work together and mostly it just wasn't very funny at all. It was so meh, I don't think I could've be bothered to comment more than once or twice here throughout the season.

I though South Park suffered the same way by forcing the continuity last season, but at least it was mostly pretty funny. Memba?

Holy poo poo... They are seriously still making south park?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Holy poo poo... They are seriously still making south park?

South Park is still one of the most popular cartoons in existence and there are still legions of people that think quoting it makes for a sound political argument.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChesterJT posted:

I don't really care much about character development or season story arch, I just found this season to be a little light on the jokes.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

At the end of the day, I can still go back and rewatch the first few seasons of Archer and laugh my rear end off. I can't say that about the most recent seasons. That doesn't mean they're not entertaining in their own way, just not what brought me to Archer originally.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

Considering that they went for a continuous plot and the running length of the season was 160 minutes, I think it's fair to at least expect as much payoff as you would from a 2 hour movie.

I liked the season a lot, but do think the last episode felt like a panicked wrap-up. Lana didn't need to exist at all for all the nowhere her role went, and the "Barry was the killer, and for no reason" revelation could have been funny but fell flat, maybe because there was no real sleuthing leading up to it.

The Vandertunts more than made up for any narrative faults though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cheryl and Krieger were the best parts by far

We also barely got any Ray outside of that one episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ChairMaster posted:

I think the idea is that this season was such an off the wall, different idea for the show, a lot of people were thinking, "I can't wait to see where they're taking this, and why they decided to go this way." Like it seemed clear from the beginning that this season had a purpose or point. And then the season ends and we're left with, "...because they wanted to." Which is fine, but I really thought there would be some payoff that would bring the season together. That didn't happen.

Like I said earlier, I really enjoyed most of this season. But I was surprised when it ended and we were left with dropped plot threads and no resolution to the coma.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cheryl and Krieger were the best parts by far

We also barely got any Ray outside of that one episode.

I didn't really miss Ray.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I missed Ray.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

I missed Ray.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

We Know Catheters posted:

Dukes!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

We Know Catheters posted:

You're allowed to have a wrong opinion, but we're still going to laugh at you.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

taqueso posted:

I missed Ray.

Goddammit, I insist you let me share your marijuana cigarette!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Great season, it works sooooo well as a binge watch. The only real problem for me is that they didnt stick the landing - shooting Lana esp didnt gel as well as the WTF of Lurch tearing the dogs apart. Ew.

The end coda to Woodhouse's voice was nice buuuut I dunno the way it just simply petered out really made the season end on a weak note. Feels like they needed one more episode.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Taerkar posted:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Taerkar posted:

And same to you.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think Ray is awesome but I also don't miss him when he's gone. Archer, Lana, Mallory, and Krieger are the only necessary components for me, basically any other set of major characters and those will work.

I got tired of ultra cyborg Barry pretty quick when it first happened. For them to redo that plotline yet again was kinda boring. Though I did like the parts with Krieger and the Terminator references, the parts where the gang fights against him aren't as fun as the usual spy shenanigans are for me.

I guess there is still the potential for the dream to affect the future plot. eg. Archer wakes up, finds out Woodhouse is dead, and there is no clue as to who did it. Archer had his dream Barry did it so that causes him to look into that angle and he has to work backwards into figuring out why his brain would assume Barry did it. I would have liked more insight into any potential ramifications this plot would have at the end of this season instead, but ah well. Considering last season ended on a cliffhanger I think this one being self-contained is not bad.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I thought the Barry fight was better than usual, but I thought they were going to just shoot Barry Raiders Of The Lost Ark style at the beginning of the episode since his head/torso are still vulnerable and then they would have had the whole episode for plot (not that I cared. Chinatown has made me not expect resolution in noir). Barry blocking bullets like Wonder Woman was still funny though.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I don't get why people were expecting some super intelligent conclusion to the woodhouse mystery, it's not like it was set up as remotely important, what with Archer constantly forgetting about it. All the world building was great, but I didn't expect some grand mystery to be unravelled.

That said, the hair trigger scene was loving hilarious. Made me proper belly laugh, was not expecting it at all. I did feel a bit bad about the dog slaughter, but it was brilliantly done, and the animation was phenomenal. I think this season was a great tribute to Woodhouse's voice actor too, I wonder how he would feel about it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

thrawn527 posted:

I think the idea is that this season was such an off the wall, different idea for the show, a lot of people were thinking, "I can't wait to see where they're taking this, and why they decided to go this way." Like it seemed clear from the beginning that this season had a purpose or point. And then the season ends and we're left with, "...because they wanted to." Which is fine, but I really thought there would be some payoff that would bring the season together. That didn't happen.

Like I said earlier, I really enjoyed most of this season. But I was surprised when it ended and we were left with dropped plot threads and no resolution to the coma.
I was just about to post my opinion, when this guy posted it for me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I was watching Placebo Effect earlier and I kinda realized what made this show get worse for me. Which isn't to say it's bad now, just not as great.

Firstly, the show being more experimental, while cool on its own, has made it more serious and less joke-dense. This isn't really Archer's lane. Season 8 is fine and all, but it just kind of cracks me up every now and then, whereas even rewatching Placebo Effect for the millionth time had me :lol:ing from start to finish.

Secondly, it's kind of lost its heart. The characters have kinda all lost their positive qualities over time and had their negative ones exaggerated; Archer, at first, was immature and boorish, but still pretty competent and fundamentally a decent person, but he's kind of stopped being competent and stopped being fundamentally decent. The Ruth B-plot in Placebo Effect doesn't gel with S7/S8 Archer, if that elucidates my point any. The side characters have all had similar things happen, to a varying extent (Pam still owns and Lana hasn't changed *too* much, and Krieger and Mallory were always the shittiest/most amoral people in the cast).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Ruth B-plot in Placebo Effect doesn't gel with S7/S8 Archer, if that elucidates my point any.

Disagree.

Archer was visibly upset that the tranquilizers poisoned the dogs and made them sick in "The Handoff." He's still has a soft spot about certain things.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The whole crux of the story of season 8 was that he hosed himself and everyone else over to save a truckload of Chinese women that he didn't know and would never see again.

quote:

"Well I'm sold!"

"Really?"

"No, and neither are they!"

That's one of my favorite lines in the show.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 9, 2017

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just finished watching it on Netflix. Loved the setting and athmosphere of the whole season. Also the Terminator references with Barry.

I loved how the whole season was a result of Archer trying to half-rear end the investigation and just cling onto the first person who promises an easy answer, and that leads to all the troubles with the chinese ladies, Cheryl's not-kidnapping and facing a murderous robot cyborg.

The ending felt very noir in that he thought there might've been some deep reason behind Woodhouse's death, but it was only the result of a madman's whim.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
The quality of the animation has been improving steadily every season but this one felt like they took it to another level. The Barry chase scene was very well done. What did feel weird was that the way Lana gets shot mirrors Archer himself getting shot and he goes on a rant on how there's zero possibility she is anything but dead. I know they have already been renewed for a few more seasons prior to this one but it felt like they left it open to keep Archer out of the next one, or they weren't sure they were getting a renewel.

It ending on a downer for some characters like Pam was very noir. Archers goodbye to Woodhouse was very touching imo as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Titan posted:

The quality of the animation has been improving steadily every season but this one felt like they took it to another level. The Barry chase scene was very well done. What did feel weird was that the way Lana gets shot mirrors Archer himself getting shot and he goes on a rant on how there's zero possibility she is anything but dead. I know they have already been renewed for a few more seasons prior to this one but it felt like they left it open to keep Archer out of the next one, or they weren't sure they were getting a renewel.

It ending on a downer for some characters like Pam was very noir. Archers goodbye to Woodhouse was very touching imo as well.

I'm still a little confused about how Archer isn't dead. He wasn't shot and passed out. He was shot, and was lying face down in a pool while two cops shot the poo poo. Who presumably arrived at least a little while after he went in. Like, how long was he in there?

I mean, I know it's a cartoon show, so who really cares. Just saying.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We still don't know if that's the "Archer" that was in a coma technically.

Randy the tow truck driver cold have been Archer and he's in a coma because of CO poisoning from his broken Italian sports car.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bull3964 posted:

We still don't know if that's the "Archer" that was in a coma technically.

Randy the tow truck driver cold have been Archer and he's in a coma because of CO poisoning from his broken Italian sports car.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

*Googles*

Ha, holy poo poo, that's awesome.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

*Googles*

Ha, holy poo poo, that's awesome.

That would fit with his MO of running away every time poo poo gets too real for him. Would totally be in his character to have the two robots handle business while he runs off.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Archer should have died from, like, a zillion things that have happened to him - cancer, getting shot, stabbed, beat up, infected with STDs, vast amounts of drugs, vast amounts of liquor, vast amounts of drugs and liquor, vast amounts of drugs and liquor and STDs...

I'm just saying, let's not make assumptions here.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
They've just put out an Archer/Kingsman 2 crossover trailer if anyone was interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDih9OUaJHg

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's cute, I guess. Now do U.N.C.L.E.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
On that note, here is a fan-made Archer/Bob's Burgers crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jinBlY9BpJ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

On that note, here is a fan-made Archer/Bob's Burgers crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jinBlY9BpJ0

It's like, real real good for the first 45 seconds. Probably shoulda quit while they were ahead though.

• Locked thread