Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I hope reality and causality starts to slowly and steadily break down inside the dream. Jacob's Ladder this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Wait a minute, without hologram technology, how will Best Character Mitsuko Miyazumi make an appearance???

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I want to point out that the "I know what you meant" by H. Jon Benjamin was one of the most sinister deliveries I've heard in a while
I love it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

The animation is just wonderful, but for a first episode of a new season, it fell flat for me. I didn't buy into the mystery particularly, and there was no memorable gag moments (Ha!) I'd find myself repeating. I'm willing to give it a lot of leeway because it's Archer, but I'm really hoping the 2nd Episode picks up.

Good, what Archer needs less of are catchphrases for nerds to spew out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In general, I enjoyed the episode and am looking forward to where the season leads. I did feel joke density was much lower than normal, but that may be a side effect of establishing the setting. As things are fleshed out, I'm sure it will increase.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Wait a minute, without hologram technology, how will Best Character Mitsuko Miyazumi make an appearance???

as one of the trafficked people?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

I want to point out that the "I know what you meant" by H. Jon Benjamin was one of the most sinister deliveries I've heard in a while
I love it

I still can't get over the bit in Mallory's office.

Archer: "so if you'll excuse me"
Mallory: "oh no, i will not"
A: "excuse me?"
M: "no.. I just said"
A: "sorry
M: "me too"
A: "I.. wait no, I meant.."
M: "i know what you meant"

The delivery was goddamn spot on and I had to rewind a few times just to take it all in.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

xzzy posted:

I still can't get over the bit in Mallory's office.

Archer: "so if you'll excuse me"
Mallory: "oh no, i will not"
A: "excuse me?"
M: "no.. I just said"
A: "sorry
M: "me too"
A: "I.. wait no, I meant.."
M: "i know what you meant"

The delivery was goddamn spot on and I had to rewind a few times just to take it all in.

It was a very Chandler-esque exchange. Not quite so witty, but I could tell what they were going for.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It was a very Chandler-esque exchange. Not quite so witty, but I could tell what they were going for.

It reminded me of the Yes, Minister style:

Bernard: Minister, I've heard something quite different.
Hacker: What?
Bernard: That there is £1 million worth of diamonds from South Africa in a Downing Street safe, but of course it's only a rumour.
Hacker: Is that true?
Bernard: Oh, yes.
Hacker: So, there ARE all those diamonds in Downing Street!
Bernard: Are there?
Hacker: You just said there were.
Bernard: No, I didn't.
Hacker: Yes, you did! You said you'd heard this rumour, I said is it true, you said yes!
Bernard: I said yes, it was true that it was a rumour.
Hacker: You said you heard it was true!
Bernard: No, I said it was true that I heard it!
Annie: I'm sorry to cut into this important discussion, but do you believe it?
Hacker: I believe I heard it. Oh, about the diamonds. No.
Annie: Is it impossible?
Hacker: No, but it's never been officially denied. First rule in politics: never believe anything until it's officially denied.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I was thinking it was supposed to be like the fast talking 'His Girl Friday' style that (I think) started in the 40s.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like that the references to the past in this episode were far more subtle than, say, Archer Vice. I think they learned their lesson in going to the catchphrase well too much after that season.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I like how they're keeping Pa- I mean, Poovey, hella gender-neutral.

and definitely hoping Kreiger keeps the current facial hair :allears:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

It reminded me of the Yes, Minister style:

Bernard: Minister, I've heard something quite different.
Bernard: That there is £1 million worth of diamonds from South Africa in a Downing Street safe, but of course it's only a rumour.
Hacker: Is that true?
Bernard: Oh, yes.
Hacker: So, there ARE all those diamonds in Downing Street!
Bernard: Are there?
Hacker: You just said there were.
Bernard: No, I didn't.
Hacker: Yes, you did! You said you'd heard this rumour, I said is it true, you said yes!
Bernard: I said yes, it was true that it was a rumour.
Hacker: You said you heard it was true!
Bernard: No, I said it was true that I heard it!
Annie: I'm sorry to cut into this important discussion, but do you believe it?
Hacker: I believe I heard it. Oh, about the diamonds. No.
Annie: Is it impossible?
Hacker: No, but it's never been officially denied. First rule in politics: never believe anything until it's officially denied.

Yes Minister is full of delightful dialogues like that.

quote:

[How to deal with a nonsensical complaint]
Bernard: We can CGSM it.
Hacker: CGSM?
Bernard: Civil Service code, Minister. It stands for "Consignment of Geriatric Shoe Manufacturers".
Bernard: A load of old cobblers, Minister.
Hacker: I'm not a civil servant. I shall use my own code. I shall write: "Round Objects". (translation: balls)
[...later...]
Bernard: You remember that letter you wrote "Round Objects" on?
Hacker: Oh yes.
Bernard: It's come back from Sir Humphrey's office. He's commented on it.
Hacker: What does he say?
Bernard: Who is Round and to what does he object?

quote:

[discussing the EEC]
James Hacker: "The trouble with Brussels is not internationalism, it's too much bureaucracy."
Sir Humphrey Appleby: "But the bureaucracy is a consequence of the internationalism. Why else would there be an English Commissioner with a French Director-General immediately below him, and an Italian Chef-du-Division reporting to the Frenchman and so on down the line."
James Hacker: "Oh, I agree."
Sir Humphrey Appleby: "It is like the Tower of Babel."
James Hacker: "I agree."
Sir Humphrey Appleby: "No, it's even worse, it is like the United Nations."
James Hacker: "I agree."
Bernard Woolley: "Then perhaps, if I may interject, you are in fact in agreement."
James Hacker & Sir Humphrey Appleby: "No we're not!"

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 7, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

double nine posted:

I've never seen this, but I love this line, so I'm going to have to look it up.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
You guys are hard to please. I thought this was excellent.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I've never seen this, but I love this line, so I'm going to have to look it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA&

quote:

Bernard, that's precisely what you were there to avoid! How did this come about, I shall need a very good explanation.
Bernard Woolley: Well, he's very keen on it.
Sir Humphrey: What's that got to do with it? Things don't happen just because Prime Ministers are very keen on them! Neville Chamberlain was very keen on peace.

It's pretty drat good.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Alexeythegreat posted:

I love it

I like that "I know what you meant" is going to be this season's "phrasing."

I get what some folks are saying. I wasn't expecting them to play this this "straight." I love the writers and animators so I'm in for the season regardless.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Test Pattern posted:

I hope reality and causality starts to slowly and steadily break down inside the dream. Jacob's Ladder this poo poo.

Similar, but I was thinking more along the lines of Life On Mars, being a detective trapped in the past and all.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Avasculous posted:

You guys are hard to please. I thought this was excellent.

Agreed. It was a little slow but also had to reintroduce all the characters in their new roles, so they had to lose a few jokes.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I feel like I should not like this, but I have a massive soft spot for LA Private Eye stories from reading Robert Crais novels in my early teens so this is extremely my poo poo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was mediocre.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought it was mediocre.

:agreed:

I was taken aback at how serious the tone was

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I have a feeling the tone will shift as Archer realizes he's in a dream world. Right now, he's just going through the motions of being a broken detective in a pulp thriller.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm curious to see if we'll get an update on what's going on outside of Dreamland, even if only for a couple of scenes. Its the problem with a short season, there's not so much time to do diversionary stuff like that. I don't really mind the serious tone, but I feel that it'll scale back now that the setting is properly established

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
It's going to turn out that it was all a simulation, and that Archer is actually an astronaut in cryo on his way to the first manned landing on Mars. They collided with a meteor near the end of season 4 which caused the simulation to go apeshit.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ApathyGifted posted:

It's going to turn out that it was all a simulation, and that Archer is actually an astronaut in cryo on his way to the first manned landing on Mars. They collided with a meteor near the end of season 4 which caused the simulation to go apeshit.

Oh yeah, each subsequent season is going to be Archer waking up from some deadly situation, only to then die. Last season? It's Krenshaw torturing the poo poo out of Archer, right before he dies of a heart attack

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Maybe I've been spoiled because I've slowly been doing a rewatch of the first couple seasons recently while eating before going to work and have found everything they've done recently to not even hold a candle to the early days, but I could've taken or left that episode.

Qmass posted:

blech. I want frisky dingo insanity not a half-rate mystery drama...

"We ran out of ideas before Season 7 yet have three more seasons to fill and are slightly full of ourselves anyway."

I did like hearing Carl from ATHF's laugh in Dave Willis' voice when he cried in misery as Archer drove away.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The episode was table setting. It's not really worth evaluating as if it will be indicative of the whole season at this point.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Last season had the best episodes since the third season, but yeah, nothing they can do now can come close to those heights. Season 2 is still one of the funniest seasons of TV I've ever watched. I'm still amazed that "Stage 2" and "El Secuestro" aired on consecutive weeks, they were (IMO) the two best episodes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I liked it and I'm optimistic, but I can see why people aren't impressed so far. I don't get the complaints about it being a dream though, as though that somehow lowers the stakes or something? There being no meaningful consequences for anything is something that's been consistent since the show started.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly at this point Archer's Psyche is the only thing we have left to explore.

Take aside everything Mallory did/didn't do, but we know he was molested by his Au Pair as a little boy (played for a joke but still...), drowned in piss at school, his college stalker tried to kill him and then committed suicide...

If this season just committed to "why is Archer so hosed up and can he possibly be less hosed up and not doom AJ to the same bullshit" then this will easily be my favorite season.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

If this season just committed to "why is Archer so hosed up and can he possibly be less hosed up and not doom AJ to the same bullshit" then this will easily be my favorite season.

Tbf, it's already established that Archer is a better parent than his mother could ever hope to be

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Edit: wrong thread.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alexeythegreat posted:

Tbf, it's already established that Archer is a better parent than his mother could ever hope to be

That's a pretty low bar to clear, all Archer has to do is not steal his daughters bike and then beat her because it got stolen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoLing that Archer has Cyril's illegitimate bastard's name tattooed on his back but not his own daughter.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
NUNS WITH GUNS

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

that shot of Archer chugging down his flask was great

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
All the animation is so good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love how they named her Bernice just so they can do one long weekend at Bernie's joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I know we are only 2 episodes into the season, but it really does feel like this would be better if it was watched back to back, not a week between each episode.

I do miss the old random spy episodes we used to get in the earlier seasons that weren't really connected.

• Locked thread