Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean when the man is right he's right

Basically the deal is, the Doctor tends to take on things that he can outsmart or outwit.

He almost never deals with a monster that is just overwhelmingly more dangerous than he is, without any weaknesses.

Like, there's not a whole lot the Doctor could DO to the Xenomorph that wouldn't just be "What Ripley did but more British"

The Doctor would be screwed in the case of, say, a Godzilla attack. He'd just have to run and hide like the rest of us.

Inferno is actually a great example because the Doctor COULDN'T save the day. That fact haunted him too, for quite a while. There was no solution, there was no way out. He could only survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh please, the Doctor would build some manner of vortex gun and send Godzilla to a world entire covered in skyscrapers that spontaneously reform when knocked down.

"Don't be ridiculous. I didn't kill Godzilla, I used my Vohoxital Respectralizer to send him Manhattapiter, the planet of dense urban growth where he can live and destroy in peace."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh he'd try

And then Godzilla would shoot it back at him like he did to a black hole

twice

Godzilla movies are almost as amazingly stupid as Doctor Who stories some times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But then they'd team up when they realized that the inhabitants of Manhappiter were planning to destroy every city in the universe...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

The Vashta Nerada were mostly parasites without much intelligence.
I think the resolution to the episode relies on them having some intelligence though.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

What about the Van Gogh monster?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

holy drat I'm loving the vinyl edition cover of Spare Parts:

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I activated my BritBox free trail yesterday, and I am overwhelmed by all the classic Doctor Who I now have access to. Then I saw a previously unknown version of Hound of the Baskervilles starring Tom Baker as Sherlock Holmes.

This is on top of my Power of the Daleks DVD and the upcoming new season. I'm very happy to have so much unseen Doctor Who to choose from.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Action Man posted:

I activated my BritBox free trail yesterday, and I am overwhelmed by all the classic Doctor Who I now have access to. Then I saw a previously unknown version of Hound of the Baskervilles starring Tom Baker as Sherlock Holmes.

I haven't watched that version but I understand Baker himself wasn't completely satisfied with his portrayal of Holmes.

(I think Jeremy Brett would've been a good Doctor at any point in the classic run really.)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Crusader posted:

Whoa, yeah, that's awesome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Whoa, yeah, that's awesome.

Doesn't that kind of spoil the reveal, though?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Timby posted:

Doesn't that kind of spoil the reveal, though?

Spare Parts is almost 15 years old. At some point the statute of limitations of spoilers kinda goes away (Snape kills Dumbledore, page 596)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
What is the 'reveal', anyway? Spare Parts doesn't really waste time before laying out that it's set on Mondas shortly before the Cybermen start being a thing. And the regular cover uses a Cyberman head too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mmm, time to sit down with my favorite book in the whole world, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and finally finish it. First, though, let's just take a BIG sip of coffee and check my favorite bad tv show thread in TVI-

jivjov posted:

Spare Parts is almost 15 years old. At some point the statute of limitations of spoilers kinda goes away (Snape kills Dumbledore, page 596)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It can't be your favourite book yet if you didn't know that! :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Mmm, time to sit down with my favorite book in the whole world, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and finally finish it. First, though, let's just take a BIG sip of coffee and check my favorite bad tv show thread in TVI-

Now I'll receive another year of life from the evil genie that cursed me to spoil things

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't watched that version but I understand Baker himself wasn't completely satisfied with his portrayal of Holmes.

(I think Jeremy Brett would've been a good Doctor at any point in the classic run really.)

So is it Tom Baker starring as Tom Baker in "Tom Baker and the Hound of the Baskervilles"?

Because if so, that's must see tv! :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

What is the 'reveal', anyway? Spare Parts doesn't really waste time before laying out that it's set on Mondas shortly before the Cybermen start being a thing. And the regular cover uses a Cyberman head too.

Yeah, it's like halfway through the first episode when the Doctor realises it's Mondas and rushes everyone back to the TARDIS. The original cover had a big old Cyberman head on it as well.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Crusader posted:

Yeah, I've wanted a print of it since they first revealed it. It's great and something I'd love but not "spend over a hundred bucks plus whatever postage to Australia would be for it" great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just wish that they sold the new documentary thing separately. I have no need for vinyl, but I do love me some behind the scenes stuff

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So on London's South Bank this morning..

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
New Adventures of Benny IV: Ruler of the Universe, with more of David Warner's Doctor and Mark Gatiss' Master, is coming in September.

The_Doctor posted:

So on London's South Bank this morning..

That's pretty rad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In other news, this morning my dad dismissed Pearl Mackie's casting as 'political correctness' :cripes:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

In other news, this morning my dad dismissed Pearl Mackie's casting as 'political correctness' :cripes:

Just because I can't resist touching the poop....is it because she's black? Female? Or the fact that her character is gay?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

Just because I can't resist touching the poop....is it because she's black? Female? Or the fact that her character is gay?

Black, yeah. He wouldn't know about that she's gay.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

How dare those uppity blacks get a lead role in a wholesome family television programme, amirite?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

How dare those uppity blacks get a lead role in a wholesome family television programme, amirite?

One day soonish he'll get to meet my black boyfriend, and won't that be fun?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Requesting a mod to change your username to Canton_Everett_Delaware_III

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Is your dad aware that they've already had black companions in the history of the show and that there are, in fact, black people in the UK?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Is your dad aware that they've already had black companions in the history of the show and that there are, in fact, black people in the UK?

Oh yeah. He is an Old Man with Outdated Views.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
They haven't done an episode with Xenophilia yet. That is a barrier that needs to be crossed.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

They haven't done an episode with Xenophilia yet. That is a barrier that needs to be crossed.

Vastra and Jenny?
Or... I guess that's not really an example rooted in reality.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

An English version of Get Out?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

thexerox123 posted:

Vastra and Jenny?
Or... I guess that's not really an example rooted in reality.

I had forgotten about them, perhaps willfully.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

:stonklol:

That's a terrifying thought

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Kindly Depart or Sod Off, depending on where it's set.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Or the version set in Scotland, Get Tae gently caress.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Finish finally posted the trailer for "The Ninth Doctor Chronicles". It's... something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Big Finish finally posted the trailer for "The Ninth Doctor Chronicles". It's... something.

Briggs' 9 has improved since the Destiny of the Doctor release he did...but his Rose is rather terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

Briggs' 9 has improved since the Destiny of the Doctor release he did...but his Rose is rather terrible.

It's so bad I didn't even think I heard Rose in the clip. Am I missing something that obvious?

• Locked thread