Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

cargohills posted:

Phil Sandifer, of overlong Doctor Who blog fame, made a good point that the character played by Richard Hurndall and David Bradley - "the First Doctor" - was never really played by William Hartnell, except for in The Three Doctors.

I quite like his distinction, that Hartnell didn't play "The First Doctor" he just played The Doctor, because while he was in the role there was no "Second Doctor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

An actor doing an imitation of another actor's performance of a specific character is weird, though. It limits the potential of the new actor to give their interpretation of the role (they are specifically imitating another actor's imitation rather than giving their own)
This makes sense. They probably shouldn't make a habit of it as it's by definition going to be fan service rather than exploring anything new. But,

quote:

and also feels disrespectful to to the original actor they're imitating.
I don't get this at all. Maybe there's some weird actor ethics thing I'm totally unfamiliar with, but calling things like this and Tarkin in Rogue One "ghoulish" is the weirdest thing to me.

What is disrespectful about trying to portray another actor's performance? How is that fundamentally different than like... all other acting? I'll concede it's got less room for creativity and new life and all that, but in terms of respect/morality I'm having trouble seeing the issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not like the guy is going to get his own run as Doctor Who. It's just some fan service for the Christmas episode. They'll probably talk to each other about regenerating and then move on.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

2house2fly posted:

I quite like his distinction, that Hartnell didn't play "The First Doctor" he just played The Doctor, because while he was in the role there was no "Second Doctor".

Wasn't that exactly the distinction the David Bradley Doctor made at the end of the last episode?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Frankly, I feel like recasting the Doctor and coming up with the regeneration mechanism while Hartnell was still alive was way more disrespectful to him as a person. (Though I understand why it happened. And I'm certainly not complaining, as it led to... the entire rest of the franchise.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 3, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I don't see how it's any different from replacing Becky on Roseanne.

That's what casting Patrick Troughton was.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cojawfee posted:

It's not like the guy is going to get his own run as Doctor Who. It's just some fan service for the Christmas episode. They'll probably talk to each other about regenerating and then move on.

What if he does though? 1 said he would return someday. What if 13 regenerates into 1.b? :ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Then I'd like to see how they film a whole season of an action adventure show with a 75 year old man.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Then I'd like to see how they film a whole season of an action adventure show with a 75 year old man.

They could just hire some young fellow to play a doctor to do all the action scenes, just in case.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

They should get Tom Baker to play Hartnell's Doctor. Problem solved.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I have come to the conclusion that I only thought the first half was good because I was filling in the gaps with Spare Parts.

Huh. I've still not gotten around to listening to Spare Parts and I thought the first half was great. The hospital scenes just are disturbing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

They could just hire some young fellow to play a doctor to do all the action scenes, just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgLgE0Ok3LI&t=52s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJjLdgXsCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz5mnMdZEwU

To get the full effect, watch these in order, then watch the first one on repeat.

Oh Harry.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I know what's going in the OP of the hiatus thread!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
We kinda drifted past this topic, but last night I was talking to my dad - an old school Doctor Who fan who didn't like Tennant or Smith very much - and he told me that he basically skipped the last few seasons because he didn't like Capaldi. I didn't ask him to elaborate since that's not his way, but it was really interesting to have a counter-example to the notion that it's only teenage girls craving a Sexy Doctor who didn't like Capaldi.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What were his reasons?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I loved the idea of Capaldi as the Doctor, but I hated the implementation. Clara was intolerable. This season really picked up due to Pearl Mackie and Michelle Gomez, but Moffat is clearly out of ideas and I won't miss him.

Capaldi could have been a love letter to the old series, a proper crusty weirdo bastard like Troughton, a stately but off kilter grandpa like Hartnell, an over the top fop who thinks he's James Bond like Pertwee. Smith was endearing because he was perpetually a bit out of touch, like your uncle who was in a rock band in the 70s and still thinks he's that guy. They did the same thing with Capaldi, except it's not endearing at all because he takes everything so loving seriously.

I really, really wish they kept the cast going into the new series. I feel like this Doctor finally got the cast he needed this season, and a new writing team could make something amazing happen. I guess we'll never find out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely Exile. Exile is the second worst Big Finish story, behind only Creed of the Kromon; He Jests at Scars doesn't come anywhere close to being that bad. Like, most of the Irish Wildthyme stories are probably worse than Jests.

Nekromanteia.

Cojawfee posted:

Scott Glenn off Daredevil could do it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nekromanteia.

It's close but I'd still put that behind those other two. Ugh.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought Capaldi was fun, the guy who is so old he's long since stopped caring what people think about him. He doesn't give a poo poo if the Sonic Sunglasses and electric guitar are ridiculous, he likes them so he'll play with them. The only opinions he values are his own, and his more impressive companions at times. When he was pondering whether he was a good man, it wasn't asking the people he saved on his adventures, it was asking himself. Hell he's so obstinate that he had a group of people terrified of the cybermen keep one in their barn on the off chance that she was still herself enough not to hurt anyone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Echoing everyone else, I love Capaldi's Doctor. Shame about all the poo poo episodes he had to endure during his tenure though. :shrug:

An even bigger shame is that I can say the exact same thing about Matt Smith.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

What were his reasons?

I understand that reading is a skill that some lack, so I'll quote myself:

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't ask him to elaborate since that's not his way

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Echoing nobody else, I love Capaldi's Doctor and I'm glad he got to be in some of the best episodes of the series.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Echoing everyone else, I love Capaldi's Doctor. Shame about all the poo poo episodes he had to endure during his tenure though. :shrug:

An even bigger shame is that I can say the exact same thing about Matt Smith.

Is there a single doctor (excluding John Hurt) that this couldn't be said for?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

We kinda drifted past this topic, but last night I was talking to my dad - an old school Doctor Who fan who didn't like Tennant or Smith very much - and he told me that he basically skipped the last few seasons because he didn't like Capaldi. I didn't ask him to elaborate since that's not his way, but it was really interesting to have a counter-example to the notion that it's only teenage girls craving a Sexy Doctor who didn't like Capaldi.

If he doesn't like Tennant, or Smith, or Capaldi, I feel like there's a better explanation for that than anything really specific to any of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Austen Tassletine posted:

Is there a single doctor (excluding John Hurt) that this couldn't be said for?

Patrick Troughton :smug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Patrick Troughton :smug:

No, the Dominators is dreadful.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah sounds like your dad simply prefers what he grew up with.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah sounds like your dad simply prefers what he grew up with.

No doubt, but the point that surprised me was that he stopped watching. He'd watch anything with 9, 10, and 11, even if he'd talk about how he didn't like the Doctors, but actively stopped watching with 12 and cited Capaldi as the reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder what the suits were made of that looked metallic but also the stuntmen were able to bounce around in without getting hurt.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The_Doctor posted:

No, the Dominators is dreadful.

There were some real stinkers in the Baker and Davison years too but there weren't entire year-long writeoffs like Trial of a Time Lord or, frankly, the first two years of Capaldi. Though I did like the one where Clara loving dies already.

Honestly, Doctor Who is only ever as good as its companions. I have to think that if poor Colin Baker hadn't been saddled to Peri, he would have had a better run. Much as I think we wouldn't look so kindly on McCoy if Ace wasn't basically the best companion ever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder what the suits were made of that looked metallic but also the stuntmen were able to bounce around in without getting hurt.

Foam. You can make a lot of things look like metal from far enough away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmSnKx2jELg

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All the explosion stunts is probably why they didn't make more unique Cyberman suits. Also they probably have at least a dozen or so of each revival suit so if one or two are irreparably damaged, it's not a big loss and if it's still wearable and salvageable, there's surely a use for a "Damaged Cyberman" suit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The trouble is that it's always an impression of Hartnell, and it feels ghoulish to me. Same as the CGI Peter Cushing.

So I guess you're not onboard for the Dr. Who feature film remake, eh? :v:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely Exile. Exile is the second worst Big Finish story, behind only Creed of the Kromon; He Jests at Scars doesn't come anywhere close to being that bad. Like, most of the Irish Wildthyme stories are probably worse than Jests.

I can't hate Exile, simply because I broke out a stupid grin every time David Tennant said anything, since he's having so much fun doing the "Time Lord out of water" bit. Ditto Michael Jayston in "He Jests At Scars", even with an absurd amount of continuity wankery.

It's me, I'm the one with the incomprehensible bad opinion! :cry:

Boy That Time Forgot is about the only one I've heard that's vile as Kromon or Nekromanteia.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

2house2fly posted:

After seven years of Moffat's tricks all I know is "The Doctor Falls" can't possibly refer to the obvious, ie falling from grace after failing to save Bill or dying in battle.

Moffat got me one last time, by not trying to get me. Oh, that man...

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I sort of doubt it, to be honest. It seems very clear that Chibnall wants to do his own thing and start fresh, which makes total sense.

docbeard posted:

I think Matt Lucas has said otherwise, but I would sure love to be wrong.

not too sure on spoiler rules

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dongicus posted:

this is the least poo poo doctor who has been in years but thats mostly down to the performances

Yeah, Peter doing Smith's body language doing "When the Doctor was me" got me a bit, and I'm still not really a DW fan.

Carbon dioxide posted:

What surprised me is that in very recent interviews, such as in that latest fan show, Moffat admitted that last week saturday, they weren't even done filming yesterday's episode.

Is Doctor Who filming always this hectic and chaotic?

Yes, but there's a specific reason for it being that extreme which I'm sure will be clear around xmas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

echoplex posted:

Yes, but there's a specific reason for it being that extreme which I'm sure will be clear around xmas.

I'm guessing they're really going to go to town on wrecking the Console Room set, given it's the last untouched thing between the Moffat years and a clean start under Chibnall.

I'm surprised Peter Capaldi hasn't tried to buy it off the BBC and have it transported to his home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm guessing they're really going to go to town on wrecking the Console Room set, given it's the last untouched thing between the Moffat years and a clean start under Chibnall.

I'm surprised Peter Capaldi hasn't tried to buy it off the BBC and have it transported to his home.

I'm pretty sure he's already got one. Or two.

• Locked thread