Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Period" episodes like this (and indeed period dramas in general) should come with accompanying scratch and sniff cards so you get a more immersive experience. :D

Was just thinking, is this the closest thing we've had to a pure historical adventure in the revival? Because I don't think there were any aliens in this episode other than the Doctor himself (and Nardole) - the fish monster was implied to be a survivor from prehistoric times, wasn't it?

AftertheWar and I were talking about it last night and couldn't think of the last time there was a pure historical (outside of the audios).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Black Orchid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yo, Who-goons, it was my birthday recently, and a friend was kind enough to get me the core book for the Doctor Who pen-and-paper RPG. Was wondering if any of my fellow massive nerds on this here dying comedy forum has played/run it and what they think?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was just thinking, is this the closest thing we've had to a pure historical adventure in the revival? Because I don't think there were any aliens in this episode other than the Doctor himself (and Nardole) - the fish monster was implied to be a survivor from prehistoric times, wasn't it?

On that basis, The Crimson Horror is as well (and I love that story).

But I'm pretty sure that all-Rush mixtape is right and the last "pure" historical in Doctor Who was Black Orchid from way back in the Davison era.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gaz-L posted:

Yo, Who-goons, it was my birthday recently, and a friend was kind enough to get me the core book for the Doctor Who pen-and-paper RPG. Was wondering if any of my fellow massive nerds on this here dying comedy forum has played/run it and what they think?

I honestly was not a big fan. The rules kept bouncing back and forth between "look how slim and trim and rules-lite we are" and "here's an exhaustive list of traits a character can have, and all the things they change".

It's a novel concept for a tabletop RPG to explicitly let Talkers and Runners act before Shooters/Punchers, given the hobby's proclivity for murder-hobo simulation...but novelty like that is going to come down to the group dynamic way more than the text of the rule book.

EDIT: That said, the books themselves are top notch. Despite not caring too much for the game system itself, I do have a complete collection of the #th Doctor Sourcebooks

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 30, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It actually might work fairly well for my gaming group, considering how skittish a lot of them get regarding fighting big things (they once spent over an hour trying to negotiate with a nerfed Beholder rather than risk fighting)
And having a look at it, I kind of like those things. When you break it right down, outside of damage dice, 5e D&D is pretty much only as complicated. Everything there is "roll a d20, add your stat/skill bonus" and sometimes you might roll twice and take the higher/lower. It does feel like they took FATE and tweaked it just enough that no-one would ask why it's not just a setting book for FATE, though.

It's a marked contrast to the last RPG book I got myself (one of the current Star Wars ones) which is interesting, but also blatantly designed to make it annoying to play with regular dice so you buy the specially marked ones the publisher sells.

Edit: Heh, I actually went out and got the 7th Doctor book myself the day after I got the gift cuz Sylvester's my boy, and I really like how they have all the serials as their own little adventures that you could even run for a group if they didn't know the story, plus follow-up ideas (I really like the idea of the planet from The Happiness Patrol going emo, actually)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 30, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I won't derail this thread too far...but I am absolutely in love with the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG. The funny dice, while yes are a separate purchase, are such an integral part of the game's experience. Having the three axis success/fail, threat/advantage, triumph/despair setup is SO much nicer than binary "win/lose"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

I won't derail this thread too far...but I am absolutely in love with the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG. The funny dice, while yes are a separate purchase, are such an integral part of the game's experience. Having the three axis success/fail, threat/advantage, triumph/despair setup is SO much nicer than binary "win/lose"

It's one of those things where those concepts are nice, but that, plus the multiple 'core' books feel very, very cynical and marketing/revenue driven. And as you say, it very much depends on the group. My group get nervous even playing Pathfinder over 5e because of the crunchier rules, but had a ball when I ran Atomic Robo (which uses FATE) a while back.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cargohills posted:

Don't read this if you've specifically been avoiding trailers and stuff.

You know that a multi-Master story has already been confirmed this series, right?

:aaaaa:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I must be in the minority here. I HATE Victorian loving London episodes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

marktheando posted:

The one where the Doctor is trapped in the time hole was good. But apart from that, yeah best ep since the 50th is faint praise.

Mummy on the Orient Express! Under the Lake!

Bicyclops posted:

while also looking like an actual Dean's Office if it were inhabited by a mad, traveling space wizard with a big heart

So like the average fellow's study then

echoplex posted:

Not looking at DW in particular (although I am) but the worst part about this role in production are the frequent last second changes where the producers assume all you have to do is press buttan/make graphic in 30 seconds, rather than it needing a week of ordering, testing, delivery, etc... I have deep and special relationships with a couple of print companies who are often doing midnight handovers for me that go on set at 6am.

I hope they're the printers I worked on we supplied some people in that part of the world

Fil5000 posted:

It's a real "Hadleys Hope in Aliens" type of scene.

Went to see Alien/Aliens at the cinema a couple of weeks ago. It was advertised as the directors cuts of both. I was very thankful when it was the cinematic cuts of both (directors cut of Alien I can take or leave, but jesus christ the Aliens one kills the film)

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
FASA Doctor Who RPG or get out.

Note: Do not do this. God, what a terrible 80s gaming system. I believe the Master sourcebook was the earliest I encountered the theory that the Master, Meddling Monk, and War Chief were all one Time Lord. But I still loved it as a dumb teenager of the time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Maybe but probably because the majority of people just guage the quality of an episode on things like story, plot, dialog etc before outright disliking it based on the setting or whatever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Pearl Mackie's doing a bang up job. Bill isn't that far off from the average NuWho companion but somehow she stands out.

(Also met Catherine Tate at Planet Comicon today and she is super nice. Had hugs for everyone!)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

happyhippy posted:

1814 was Regency, not Victorian :spergin:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't like historical episodes in general but Thin Ice didn't follow the usual formula for them and was better for it I thought.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

Pearl Mackie's doing a bang up job. Bill isn't that far off from the average NuWho companion but somehow she stands out.

(Also met Catherine Tate at Planet Comicon today and she is super nice. Had hugs for everyone!)

Did you go to Barrowman's panel where he was wearing a TARDIS-print dress the whole time? Such big arms he has...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They should do some black and white versions of the episodes to kick it Classic Who style. like the special B&W airing of The Walking Dead first ep.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Well, Rory DID punch Hitler.

Well of course, he's rubbish!

echoplex posted:

The bridge at the start of the ep was actually a recreation of a bridge over the Thames that no longer exists, and there's only a few etchings of it in existence. We had to dial it back a bit/lot (the section we made is about 1/3rd scale and not as curved), but, still. Our Production Designer knows everything about architecture past. He has books he gives us for reference which are legit 1850s first editions with architectural drawings to copy. A lot didn't make the edit, but we did recreate a lot of stuff from the real Frost Fair - gingerbread wrapping, the souvenir mugs, the commemorative prints etc.

While I know it's several decades before the Victorian era, the sets did a great job of capturing the vibe of 1800s London that I hear on Big Finish on stories like The Haunting of Thomas Brewster or Jago and Litefoot. It was like I was seeing on screen what I'd pictured of the foggy underbelly of London from the audios with the river, urchins, etc. Great job!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Astroman posted:

They should do some black and white versions of the episodes to kick it Classic Who style. like the special B&W airing of The Walking Dead first ep.

You want oldschool just find an old b&w TV. HD ruins the authenticity.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

West End's D6 system did the same thing with the Wild Die in what I felt was a much simpler and easier-to-incorporate manner.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sarah Dollard wrote a good episode and I hope they get her back for one next season. I am glad that Bill asked the Doctor to save the Ice Leviathan, and that the Doctor used appropriate "diplomacy" when dealing with a racist, and that he also stole a pie.

Capaldi is giving me a lot of Four vibes this season, while the content so far feels sort of like the Ten era. I'm really excited for the next episode because of (minor casting spoiler) David Suchet! :dance:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Facebook Aunt posted:

You want oldschool just find an old b&w TV. HD ruins the authenticity.

The Unquiet Dead could be pretty cool in B&W, and since it's from 2005 you don't need to worry about HD. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Capaldi is giving me a lot of Four vibes this season, while the content so far feels sort of like the Ten era. I'm really excited for the next episode because of (minor casting spoiler) David Suchet! :dance:

There's a little bit of something for everyone here: One's moral authority and temper, Three being kept on Earth for ~reasons~, Four being a weirdo...

It's great. :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Nathan Barley's point about coal mines was a good one which was skimmed over because he's the baddy

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Good episode I thought. The Doctor Saves a Big Alien is usually a good one. Shame about Pete though.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 1, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McDragon posted:

I liked that. The Doctor Saves a Big Alien is usually a good episode. Shame about Pete though.

Pete? Pete who?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

There's a little bit of something for everyone here: One's moral authority and temper, Three being kept on Earth for ~reasons~, Four being a weirdo...

It's great. :)

I started watching The Daleks' Master Plan on Sunday (yes I watch them back to back. Fight me irl.) I got a few episodes in, and 1's reaction to Katrina's death (which makes GRRM look positively kind to his characters) has some compelling resonances with the "Have you ever killed anyone?" scene.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nathan Barley's point about coal mines was a good one which was skimmed over because he's the baddy

That's kind of a matter of 'stopped clock is right twice a day'. His horribly exploitative and barbaric fuel manufactory happened to produce a fuel better than coal, especially for what we know about coal now, but that wasn't why he was doing it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always have to laugh whenever anyone asks the Doctor something like that

Mostly because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

YES

YES

YES HE HAS

He has killed SO many people

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hate those videos, though, because, spider baby mass murder and whatnot notwithstanding, one of the most consistent aspects of the Doctor's character is an attempt to resolve conflict non-violently, and when he does resort to killing people, it's often commented on as a failure, but every time people comment upon the nature of the Doctor as largely non-violent, some rear end in a top hat smugly links to "The Doctor is gonna bust a cap in your rear end."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's because the Doctor being non violent IS mostly a revival thing.

Like, some of the people he SEEMED to kill in those videos he actually didn't, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one to resort to violence. It just had to be appropriate. And of course it varied from Doctor to Doctor, but generally

If there was a situation where the Doctor could be clever around it, he would. Otherwise, he had no problem knocking dudes out or getting them killed. Or just watching them get their own idiot selves dead.

The Doctor's absurd Not Even Once rejection of guns and violence was born from his serious PTSD from the Time War and his nastier impulses as Nine, who ALSO reacted with violence towards a lot of threats.

The Third Doctor loving to get into karate fights did not help the average of Doctor Beats Up Bad Guys at all, mind you

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Still waiting for someone to splice together a series of flashbacks to the Doctor talking about remembering the dead - for example, from the 50th Anniversary Special

WARRIOR: If you have been inside my head, then you know what I've seen. The suffering. Every moment in time and space is burning. It must end, and I intend to end it the only way I can.
MOMENT: And you're going to use me to end it by killing them all, Daleks and Time Lords alike. I could, but there will be consequences for you.
WARRIOR: I have no desire to survive this.
MOMENT: Then that's your punishment. If you do this, if you kill them all, then that's the consequence. You live. Gallifrey. You're going to burn it, and all those Daleks with it, but all those children too. How many children on Gallifrey right now?
WARRIOR: I don't know.
-
WARRIOR: Did you ever count?
DOCTOR: Count what?
WARRIOR: How many children there were on Gallifrey that day.
DOCTOR: I have absolutely no idea.
WARRIOR: How old are you now?
DOCTOR: Ah, I don't know. I lose track. Twelve hundred and something, I think, unless I'm lying. I can't remember if I'm lying about my age, that's how old I am.
WARRIOR: Four hundred years older than me, and in all that time you've never even wondered how many there were? You never once counted?
DOCTOR: Tell me, what would be the point?
DOCTOR 10: Two point four seven billion.
WARRIOR: You did count!
DOCTOR 10: You forgot? Four hundred years, is that all it takes?
DOCTOR: I moved on.
DOCTOR 10: Where? Where can you be now that you can forget something like that?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

I started watching The Daleks' Master Plan on Sunday (yes I watch them back to back. Fight me irl.)
I won't need to, the sleep deprivation will do it for me. :smugbert:

Bicyclops posted:

I hate those videos, though, because, spider baby mass murder and whatnot notwithstanding, one of the most consistent aspects of the Doctor's character is an attempt to resolve conflict non-violently, and when he does resort to killing people, it's often commented on as a failure, but every time people comment upon the nature of the Doctor as largely non-violent, some rear end in a top hat smugly links to "The Doctor is gonna bust a cap in your rear end."

Counterpoint - they got me into Geto Boys, thus greatly enriching my life.*

* In my defense, I haven't seen Office Space for years.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Burkion posted:

I always have to laugh whenever anyone asks the Doctor something like that

Mostly because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

YES

YES

YES HE HAS

Although very entertaining some of these videos are a bit misleading. They have clips from Resurrection of the Daleks and The Seeds of Death where the Doctor threatens someone with a gun but never uses it, scenes where he's using a gun on animals (The Talons of Weng-Chiang) or inanimate objects (The Face of Evil), and a lot of scenes where's he's hitting people but not killing them (The Web of Fear, The Green Death).

His pacifism is inconsistent and not always characterised in the same way but I think it's fair to say that even in the classic series the Doctor at least tried to be non-violent most of the time.

e: There's also quite a lot of moments that are about as violent as in the new series, like killing Cybermen with emotion (The Invasion and in the new series in The Age of Steel) or just straight up exploding Daleks (pretty much anything that has Daleks in it, notably Dalek and Journey's End).

cargohills fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 1, 2017

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Burkion posted:

Letting Youtube autoplay after this gave me this piece of awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DfuhREAds

The First Doctor was straight up Machiavellian and I love it

McGann fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 1, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

That's because the Doctor being non violent IS mostly a revival thing.

I really disagree. There are some weird spots around Three and Six, but it definitely isn't mostly a revival thing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The episode was kind of spotty and a bit cliché, but his speech to Bill after the kid got eaten was fantastic. "I'm 2000 years old, and never in my life have I had time for the luxury of outrage" is such a great look at the Doctors character. The hypocrisy of it, even more so.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Never have I had time for the luxury of outrage."

*David Tennant barrels out of his TARDIS behind him, yelling*

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FreezingInferno posted:

Still need to do a rewatch but on first viewing I'm very pleased that Doctor Who took a definitive stance of being pro-punching out racists.

Also Capaldi's speech to said racist a little later on was really good.

That part was great.

AndyElusive posted:

3 episodes in and this is already Capaldi's best season. It's cruel that this is his last but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

So far this is the best season in years. I was very close to giving up on this show before the season but am glad I didn't. It finally feels like the show I grew to love off of netflix years ago. It's nice to be excited for the new Doctor Who every week instead of just watching the episode days later when I'm bored hoping it might be ok. Excited to see what the rest of the season brings. Will be sad to see Capaldi go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

"Never have I had time for the luxury of outrage."

*David Tennant barrels out of his TARDIS behind him, yelling*

Or it cuts to footage of Six's big speech at the trial.

• Locked thread