Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

There wasn't really anything egregiously bad about any of the Monk episodes individually, they were all kinda mediocre. The problem is they didn't string together well

Agreed. All three were perfectly fine episodes, but they needed to be more than just fine. Like you said, they didn't even have the benefit of John Simm's Master hamming it up to distract from the stuff that didn't make any sense.

Barry Foster posted:

Face the Raven, Heaven Sent and Hell Bent was a three parter. It's relative quality overall, I leave up to you to decide

Face the Raven is a solid B. Hell Bent is a B-

The average across all three episodes is A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ because Heaven Sent is that loving good :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed. All three were perfectly fine episodes, but they needed to be more than just fine. Like you said, they didn't even have the benefit of John Simm's Master hamming it up to distract from the stuff that didn't make any sense.

Face the Raven is a solid B. Hell Bent is a B-

The average across all three episodes is A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ because Heaven Sent is that loving good :stare:

My only complaint about Heaven Sent - Whenever someone says to me "I watched Doctor Who up until the new guy I couldn't get into his episodes [ros sic]" I start getting flustered and try to tell them to watch Heaven Sent but then I have to explain that, for it to have any context, it's the middle of a three-parter, the first episode of which is basically a multi-series culmination but that they should watch it all anyway because Peter Capaldi owns.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The problem is that Peter Capaldi owns but that a lot of the scripts in season eight wrote him as entirely too harsh (even as a Hartnell fangirl the poo poo he was pulling in The Caretaker put me off for a bit). The characterisation has gotten a lot better and his Doctor is frickin' great (as much as there's the whole "girls don't like him" thing, I in my late 20s have entirely come around on him since the rocky start, my best friend in her early 30s who is the definition of Tennant Fangirl really likes him and has the last few weeks told me how much she is going to miss him when he's gone, and my mother in her early 50s who first saw Tennant and described him as "the best looking Doctor Who" but has this year been watching with me and has expressed how much she likes Capaldi and will be disappointed when he's gone) and apart from the Monk trilogy he's finally getting a solid run of stories with a good companion (I liked Clara well enough but I know she carried a certain amount of baggage with the "impossible girl" moniker).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If someone said to me that they were only ever going to watch one episode of Doctor Who I would definitely tell them to watch Heaven Sent; there is some continuity in it but it's either not strictly relevant to the plot of the episode itself or easy enough to get the gist of. Really the only thing that I can imagine confusing someone who isn't a regular viewer is that there's no way for them to know that at the end we're seeing Gallifrey the home planet of the Time Lords.

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed. All three were perfectly fine episodes, but they needed to be more than just fine.

I would actually disagree that part 3 is fine, imo it really fell short. Part 2 is fine I guess, but it lives or dies by how good part 3 is. Extremis with a couple of minor alterations could more or less be a stand-alone story and frankly bearing Parts 2 and 3 in mind it should have been

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

If someone said to me that they were only ever going to watch one episode of Doctor Who I would definitely tell them to watch Heaven Sent; there is some continuity in it but it's either not strictly relevant to the plot of the episode itself or easy enough to get the gist of. Really the only thing that I can imagine confusing someone who isn't a regular viewer is that there's no way for them to know that at the end we're seeing Gallifrey the home planet of the Time Lords.

I remember I put together a battery of 'suggested first episodes' for every new-series Doctor at some point, broken down into categories, but I honestly wouldn't pick Heaven Sent for Capaldi. That's not because of quality, though, but because I'd be assuming that if they're interested they'd want to see more like it, and Heaven Sent stands so unlike the rest of Who that there's not much to say if they liked it; what do you recommend from that point?

The one I'd pick for Capaldi, if it's any single one, would be Flatline. The Boneless are weird and unfamiliar to even the Doctor, leading to a pretty good standalone without any bullshit in the way. It's got some tiny seeds of external stories that might pique curiosity, but ultimately aren't needed for the story. And it fits pretty comfortably into a standard genre of stories, letting there be some natural pairs if that's the sort of thing they like. Flatline could pretty easily lead you in a few directions that could play well depending on what they like, the only place a Heaven Sent introduction can lead is 'disappointment'.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heaven Sent is definitely one of the best episodes the show has done. Hell Bent, I get sort of bored with the drawn out Gallifrey stuff, with the blustering President and the regenerating guard and the Dalek basement, but I do like the interactions between the Doctor and Clara. I think the overall arc of the season was presenting that the Doctor, having lived lifetime after lifetime, you'd think, would be better at dealing with grief, but if anything, is worse at it, and makes bad decisions to prevent himself from having to grieve.

That idea, that this horrible feeling is not one that you get used to, but that you get more and more tired of suffering through it as you're forced to experience it again and again, is one that I think is kind of sweet and very Doctor Who. There were some problems with Ashildr's execution, but the idea to have her a contrast, someone who becomes numb to grief and becomes less human because of it, was an interesting one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

Heaven Sent is definitely one of the best episodes the show has done. Hell Bent, I get sort of bored with the drawn out Gallifrey stuff, with the blustering President and the regenerating guard and the Dalek basement, but I do like the interactions between the Doctor and Clara. I think the overall arc of the season was presenting that the Doctor, having lived lifetime after lifetime, you'd think, would be better at dealing with grief, but if anything, is worse at it, and makes bad decisions to prevent himself from having to grieve.

That idea, that this horrible feeling is not one that you get used to, but that you get more and more tired of suffering through it as you're forced to experience it again and again, is one that I think is kind of sweet and very Doctor Who. There were some problems with Ashildr's execution, but the idea to have her a contrast, someone who becomes numb to grief and becomes less human because of it, was an interesting one.

I didn't like the Doc killing the general in Hell Bent. I mean yes, he had regenerations left, but he totally murdered that personality purely as a distraction.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh? The General basically asked the Doctor to shoot him so that they could have time to get away.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Even so. Doesn't sit right with me. Not even from a "the doctor doesn't kill" standpoint, which is one of those truisms that patently isn't, but in this context, I just don't like it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

I didn't like the Doc killing the general in Hell Bent. I mean yes, he had regenerations left, but he totally murdered that personality purely as a distraction.

You don't understand why he did it though. The whole point was a simple unspoken understanding between the two that the General is obligated to stop the Doctor with everything he has at his disposal, even if he doesn't want to. The Doctor can't allow that to happen and thus they are at an impasse with the only way out being through the General. The General knows this, and he's practically telling the Doctor "shoot me, the time it takes me to regenerate will give you a head start".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's not meant to sit right with you, the Doctor is the villain in Hell Bent.

Cleretic posted:

I remember I put together a battery of 'suggested first episodes' for every new-series Doctor at some point, broken down into categories, but I honestly wouldn't pick Heaven Sent for Capaldi. That's not because of quality, though, but because I'd be assuming that if they're interested they'd want to see more like it, and Heaven Sent stands so unlike the rest of Who that there's not much to say if they liked it; what do you recommend from that point?

The one I'd pick for Capaldi, if it's any single one, would be Flatline. The Boneless are weird and unfamiliar to even the Doctor, leading to a pretty good standalone without any bullshit in the way. It's got some tiny seeds of external stories that might pique curiosity, but ultimately aren't needed for the story. And it fits pretty comfortably into a standard genre of stories, letting there be some natural pairs if that's the sort of thing they like. Flatline could pretty easily lead you in a few directions that could play well depending on what they like, the only place a Heaven Sent introduction can lead is 'disappointment'.
Oh yeah, it'd never be a "first episode" suggestion, I was thinking of if someone was never going to watch the show but would humour me for one episode. First episode for Capaldi? Tough one. Maybe Listen, or Return Of Doctor Mysterio, or The Pilot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The best "intro to the show" episode is probably still Matt Smith's premiere. I'd be sort of lost as to "watch one episode in isolation," although I think that's true for most of television for me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Blink is good in isolation. Id happily screen it to a class or something. It's basically a Twilight Zone episode. Someone posted something to this effect two pages back.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
I feel like you could have easily, and happily in my case, cut Pyramid and Lie of the Land, and just had Extremis end the exact same way, with the Doctor left to wonder how he defeats these mysterious aliens.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I feel like you could have easily, and happily in my case, cut Pyramid and Lie of the Land, and just had Extremis end the exact same way, with the Doctor left to wonder how he defeats these mysterious aliens.

The next episode opens with the smoking wreck of a spaceship, the Doctor walking away, saying "Game over!" and then putting his sunglasses on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The John Simm Master blows up with all his Cybermen, Missy walks over to her piano, that she had put there just for this, and the Doctor pulls out his guitar and together they sing:

Doctor: You are dead, dead, dead!
You are dead, dead dead!

Missy: Your hearts have stopped and your brain is coo~old
Doctor: YOU SO, SO DEEEEEAD!

etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4hnA8jXwo for the uninitiated.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What do you guy's think about Empty Child/The Doctor Dances as an intro? Probably some of the best stuff in the first season, although it is a two parter so you have to get them to buy in at movie length.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BioEnchanted posted:

The John Simm Master blows up with all his Cybermen, Missy walks over to her piano, that she had put there just for this, and the Doctor pulls out his guitar and together they sing:

Doctor: You are dead, dead, dead!
You are dead, dead dead!

Missy: Your hearts have stopped and your brain is coo~old
Doctor: YOU SO, SO DEEEEEAD!

etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4hnA8jXwo for the uninitiated.

When I was running Paranoia, I played this every time a player died! It wasn't long before they were all singing along.

The Monks are frustrating because everything was there for a cohesive long-form story. They've run countless scenarios, they know humanity better than we know ourselves. There was such potential for paranoid "are my thoughts my own or what they've arranged for me?" and "is it possible for me to act in a way they haven't predicted?" sci-fi storytelling.

Probability and perception stuff gets me all tingly, and there were a whole lot of missed opportunities. :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

remusclaw posted:

What do you guy's think about Empty Child/The Doctor Dances as an intro? Probably some of the best stuff in the first season, although it is a two parter so you have to get them to buy in at movie length.

I'm trying to remember the list of good first episodes I put together, but I know I had three stories picked for each Doctor, and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances was one of them for Nine. There were three categories, and while I've forgotten one I remember the other two were 'standalones against a weird enemy' (which The Empty Child is fantastic for) and 'introduction to one of the famous enemies' (which for Nine was of course Dalek). The way I figure, two episodes isn't a big ask if both of them are strongly paced, and those two are.

I definitely remember running into the issue of watching a longer episode elsewhere, though, because while Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords is a fantastic introduction to the Master it is way too long for a starter.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 21, 2017

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I'd say Human Nature/The Family of Blood is the best intro to who the Doctor is, what he does, and how he will gently caress you up if you piss him off. There isn't very much specific to 10 in there, to boot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

I'm trying to remember the list of good first episodes I put together, but I know I had three stories picked for each Doctor, and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances was one of them for Nine. There were three categories, and while I've forgotten one I remember the other two were 'standalones against a weird enemy' (which The Empty Child is fantastic for) and 'introduction to one of the famous enemies' (which for Nine was of course Dalek). The way I figure, two episodes isn't a big ask if both of them are strongly paced, and those two are.

I definitely remember running into the issue of watching a longer episode elsewhere, though, because while Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords is a fantastic introduction to the Master it is way too long for a starter.

The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances is the best one for the RTD era.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Just do what you'd do with any other show: Start with The Pilot. :rimshot:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liJN-iBSs3w
Well, the Master and Missy seem to be getting along swimmingly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTecFb0VWc

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That room full of people with wrapped-up heads is a really neat visual and I wish they weren't so keen to spoil that they're going to turn out to be The Mondasian Cybermen. Ooh do you think the Master is one of them?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I just rewatched dalek and it holds up pretty well

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Namtab posted:

I just rewatched dalek and it holds up pretty well

It's great. Jubilee is greater, but it's pretty great.

(Also I'm pretty sure Thomas Pynchon thought so too, since he seems to reference the facility at one point in Bleeding Edge.)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Can someone explain to me the difference between Mondasian Cybermen and... Cybermen? I understand they're distinctly different in canon but why? Did they cybes just get rebooted at some point?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Can someone explain to me the difference between Mondasian Cybermen and... Cybermen? I understand they're distinctly different in canon but why? Did they cybes just get rebooted at some point?

Current Cybermen just wandered in from parallel Earth and hung around. The original Cybermen were from the Tenth Planet in the Solar System; Mondas. They kept on replacing bits of themselves with machines until they became what they are now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Cybermen from Mondas are the originals...the Definitive Article if you will. When Mondas got blown the gently caress up tney moved to Telos and evolved. Since their original appearance they have never looked the same, but some eras were similar. None had the body horror look or sing song voice of the Mondasian ones though.

Then there's the Cybus ones, who were created on a parallel Earth by a human named Lumic.

One thing about that preview though...with the Mondasian doctor talking about what sounds ike the creation of the Cybermen it seems an awful lot like Moffat is decanonizing Spare Parts.

Weak sauce, Moffat.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Current Cybermen just wandered in from parallel Earth and hung around. The original Cybermen were from the Tenth Planet in the Solar System; Mondas. They kept on replacing bits of themselves with machines until they became what they are now.

Additionally, the term is used to describe the style of Cybermen that only appear in The Tenth Planet, who despite because of the cheesy costume better embody the terror of conversion. A cloth death mask atop a body bag equipped with bulky artificial lung hits home in a way an armored tank-suit, no matter how excellent, doesn't.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I always felt the 70s design with the big square heads still did a decent job with the body horror due to the silver suits with the outer metal tubing. They basically look like corpses being driven around by the machinery attached to their heads.

It wasn't until the Cybus reboot ones that they really lost the horror feel (outside of maybe their debut episode. I thought it sold it decently.)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks! I agree the newer ones look a lot more sleek and streamlined and less horrifying.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the best looking ones are from Invasion, which were poorly recreated in the 70s and 80s.

They're literally just body bags with mechanical tubes forcing their limbs to move. Really, really good.

The Cybus Men weren't great, with the bellbottoms and all, but the newest versions are just the worst. Too rounded, and they have Iron Man chest lights because gently caress creativity

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's not just the parallel world thing (the Gaiman Cybermen weren't Cybus ones). Most of the 4th-7th Doctor ones (and all subsequent non-Cybus ones) were from their new homeworld, Telos. I made the same mistake. The only Mondas ones are from the original Cyberman serial, i.e. the first regeneration story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Weren't teh MoonBase Cybermen from Mondas as well? Or was that after they migrated

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

It's not just the parallel world thing (the Gaiman Cybermen weren't Cybus ones). Most of the 4th-7th Doctor ones (and all subsequent non-Cybus ones) were from their new homeworld, Telos. I made the same mistake. The only Mondas ones are from the original Cyberman serial, i.e. the first regeneration story.

What about the ones from the Troughton era? The ones with metallic heads, but otherwise similar to the Tenth Planet ones?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm pretty sure all the original Mondas Cybermen were killed when they made the astonishingly short-sighted mistake of trying to gently caress with Billy Hartnell, everything that has followed has been based on whatever colonies of Cybermen had been established (particularly on Telos), which probably involved forced conversions of the original inhabitants.

From memory, I'm pretty sure the Mondasian Cybermen's lifeforce was linked to Mondas itself? Which is why they piloted their planet around, because they couldn't move very far beyond it without basically starting to die off?

Anyways what I'm saying is I loving love the Mondasian Cybermen and I'm real excited for this episode.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

remusclaw posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure that's the best idea. Don't get me wrong, those episodes are excellent, but I feel like the ending hits harder when you've already gotten used to the typical fatality rate of Who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The awkward sister series is coming back to Big Finish!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/877819779024695296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Originally, the Earth had no Moon, and had a twin planet exactly opposite the Sun on the same orbit, Mondas, which developed essentially identically to Earth right down to the continents being ours but upside down. In Doctor Who canon, the Moon is an egg a rogue planetoid that entered the Solar System. The Silurians went into hiding because they thought it was going to impact Earth, but it got caught by Earth's gravity instead, which is why they never woke up - their systems were waiting for the aftermath of something that never happened. The resulting change in the gravitational balance of the system flung Mondas off into space, where life on it continued to develop the same as ours.

As the planet got further and further into space, the surface became uninhabitable, so the few remaining Mondasians went underground. As they couldn't afford to lose people, they kept everyone going by replacing damaged parts, first with organic parts from the dead, then with cybernetic prostheses. After a while, it got to the point that anyone who saw the sky for the first time, after a lifetime underground, went mad immediately.

In order to bring the planet back to where it came from, they constructed a giant rocket on the surface to push it back the other way, using the only people who could survive: fully augmented workers with even their emotions removed. The Cybermen.

• Locked thread