Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

AndyElusive posted:

He was introduced in the Christmas Special before last years Christmas Special but he was also in that one too.

:psyduck: I had completely forgotten that episode even happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

What was that actually about? Does anyone know? There was some running around and some people being very enigmatic and it was all nicely photographed and performed well enough...but if you had to describe that episode to another fan who didn't see it, what would you say about it?

It's about using a magic space box to run away from a space puddle. Which I find amusing because it makes me start thinking of Doctor Who episodes as a sci-fi version of Florida man headlines.

"Gallifrey man uses magic space box to run away from a space puddle."
"Gallifrey man crashes spaceship into babysitter"
"Gallifrey man crashes horse into spaceship"
"Gallifrey man's momento keepsake actually his own personal torture chamber"
"Gallifrey man returns from exile and becomes Lord High President, whereupon he immediately disgraces himself and run away into exile."

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Elite posted:

"Gallifrey man returns from exile and becomes Lord High President, whereupon he immediately disgraces himself and run away into exile."

Gallifrey man threatens plastic
Gallifrey man attends high society party
Gallifrey man in gas explosion
Gallifrey man causes stir at wedding

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally saw the episode. I love Pearl Mackie as Bill and the costuming is giving her some great stuff, and it was an okay way of introducing the Doctor to her. Nothing is going to live up to Amy and Eleven, but it was world's better than Clara. gently caress the "I fattened her" line and all the stuff around it, but at least it was mostly a throwaway moment. I really like having Nardole around for comic relief. Not sure what I think of the vault or the vague insinuations that the Doctor has made promises yet, but we'll see.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gallifrey man inadvertently inspires great fire of Rome

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gallifrey Man Yells at Prime Minister

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I finally saw the episode. I love Pearl Mackie as Bill and the costuming is giving her some great stuff, and it was an okay way of introducing the Doctor to her. Nothing is going to live up to Amy and Eleven, but it was world's better than Clara. gently caress the "I fattened her" line and all the stuff around it, but at least it was mostly a throwaway moment. I really like having Nardole around for comic relief. Not sure what I think of the vault or the vague insinuations that the Doctor has made promises yet, but we'll see.

Because of the threads we frequent, I briefly was confused thinking Mary Jo was playing some character named Bill on MST3K's new season as well as Pearl.

Then I remembered which thread I was in

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I do at least like that they show the girl that Bill "fattened" and they're at least being friendly and smiling at eachother.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why is a girl getting fat a bad thing? Do people not get fat in England?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Nardole is a Womble.
Discuss.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Because of the threads we frequent, I briefly was confused thinking Mary Jo was playing some character named Bill on MST3K's new season as well as Pearl.

Then I remembered which thread I was in

:lol: They've made Doctor Who jokes in the last two episodes I watched. There's definitely a lot of audience overlap. (I mean, how many classic Who episodes could use the bots in front of it? At least Rifftrax is doing The Five Doctors soon.)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Google "Health At Every Size" and "fat acceptance movement", then come back.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nardole is thick. He's from the future and familiar with the technology, but he's not smart. That give the Doctor someone to be smart at, without Bill having to be dumb.

Right now Nardole is light comic relief, but he could develop into more than a Tin Dog character if he got his own episode in the future, maybe some double act stuff with Bill where he's shown as competent. The best thing is that he's from the future, so it could scratch the itch a lot of us have to see a Companion besides people from the present.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's a thuddingly shallow idea wrapped up by the writing as a poignant moment: she really liked that girl and found her beautiful, and in doing so, gave her too many french fries eliminated the beauty, but oh well, she likes fries anyway, and they still wink at each other in line. :what:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

To me, it played as "Bill realizing that she had spent way too much time being coy with this girl and that it was never going to happen" rather than OMG fat.

CommonShore posted:

Nardole is the TARDIS's office manager.

It's quite simple, Nardole is the Penfold to Capaldi's Danger Mouse. And since I was a Danger Mouse fan before I was a Doctor Who fan, I'm quote okay with this.

I mean, look at that. Look at it!

EDIT - Also, the Vault contains Chris Chibnall, obviously.

After The War fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 17, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After The War posted:

To me, it played as "Bill realizing that she had spent way too much time being coy with this girl and that it was never going to happen" rather than OMG fat.

Given that Bill kept flirting with her after she had gained the chippy weight, I'm inclined to agree with this reading.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't get the impression that she thought the girl getting fat was a bad thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nardole adds a lot for a fairly simple character: as others have said, he lets the Doctor be condescending to someone without doing it too much at the companion. He acts as a sort of audience stand-in for moments we're all familiar with but the companion has to get (Bigger on the inside, "They're Daleks!", etc.). He makes the Doctor more alien by being supremely weird and quirky himself while also making the Doctor more human by tossing off a few "Get a load o' this guy!" sort of comments about the Doctor's aversion to emotion. It's a very simple comic relief character that ends up doing a ton of heavy lifting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On a completely shallow level, gotta say I love Bill's hair too, or rather that she can do so much with it - she had about a half-dozen hairstyles in this episode and they all looked great.

I mean, this is completely meaningless when it comes to character, writing and themes etc.... but I still really like her hair! :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's okay to be complimentary of a woman's appearance. Despite what others will tell you.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

On a completely shallow level, gotta say I love Bill's hair too, or rather that she can do so much with it - she had about a half-dozen hairstyles in this episode and they all looked great.

I mean, this is completely meaningless when it comes to character, writing and themes etc.... but I still really like her hair! :)

The costume and make-up people are doing really well with her, I think. I just dig her whole aesthetic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

After The War posted:

It's quite simple, Nardole is the Penfold to Capaldi's Danger Mouse. And since I was a Danger Mouse fan before I was a Doctor Who fan, I'm quote okay with this.

I mean, look at that. Look at it!

Have you not seen the Danger Mouse remake? Because you should really watch the Danger Mouse remake because it's fantastic :allears:.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Astroman posted:

I feel the Monk has been addressed enough in the audios that he can be let alone by the show. Quite frankly it's the same for Susan--any attempt to bring them back might conflict with the audios to the point of de-canonizing certain aspects of Big Finish again. Chibnall may not necessarily be as much of a BF nerd as Steven Moffat or RTD and give them the same respect. Quite frankly if I was Nick Briggs I'd be a bit worried about my access to the show going forward. I know the overall licensing is handled by the BBC, but let's not pretend that the showrunner doesn't have a huge influence, if in nothing but writing the tv show which will always take precedence. It may be of note that unlike Moffat and RTD, Chibnall has never written for the novels, short stories, or Big Finish--or as far as we know read/listened to them (unlike Moffat and RTD who clearly consumed them in the Wilderness Years). We can't question his Doctor Who bonafides in general, as he's the iconic old school fan from the DWAS era, but I haven't heard anything about his opinions on spin off media.

It's all canon. Even the parts that contradict the other parts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ESPECIALLY those parts!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God, can you imagine Doctor Who with a Garak-esque character?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do we know the broadcast schedule for the entire season yet? More specifically, are we getting 12 straight weeks of Doctor Who?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Do we know the broadcast schedule for the entire season yet? More specifically, are we getting 12 straight weeks of Doctor Who?

Yes, straight through as far as we know. UK TV doesn't tend to break up seasons like US TV.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, straight through as far as we know. UK TV doesn't tend to break up seasons like US TV.

They used to skip weekends for Eurovision though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

UK TV doesn't tend to break up seasons like US TV.

Except for when it's run by Steven Moffat and then it does like half the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Eurovision or some other delay was my concern. Didn't we lose a couple weeks due to football a couple seasons back?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And will it be airing at a reasonable 6:30ish time slot again like it always should be?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Eurovision should start at around 8 pm UTC, so Who might get bumped.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have to watch it the next day on Amazon, so my only concern with switching schedules around is any affect it may have on ratings and the show being renewed forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It's been 7:20 this and next week, so I'm hoping it sticks in that slot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

I have to watch it the next day on Amazon, so my only concern with switching schedules around is any affect it may have on ratings and the show being renewed forever.

I can 100% tell you that the show isn't being renewed forever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I've read a lot of "You have one chance to clean this up and then it's gone, Chibnall," with a lot of indication that his hands were tied going out of the door, but it's worse coming directly from the PriorMarcus's mouth. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I've read a lot of "You have one chance to clean this up and then it's gone, Chibnall," with a lot of indication that his hands were tied going out of the door, but it's worse coming directly from the PriorMarcus's mouth. :(

Do please pay attention to his av/text.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Do please pay attention to his av/text.

I mean, I know the glass is always half-empty for him, and what it's half-full of is garbage water, but in this instance he really just is a person who has tiny bits of insider information confirming what a lot of the "often right about Doctor Who for some reason" tabloids have been saying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There'll come a point where the show will go on "indefinite hiatus" again, of that I have no doubt. That said, I do believe the nature of the show and the success of the revival mean that even if that does happen, it won't be too long (relatively) before the BBC dusts it off and has another go at it and there's nothing to stop it from being a thing on television more often than not. At least I hope so :shobon:

That said, I hope it sticks around for at least another 15-20 years before it goes on another hiatus!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Big Finish finally posted the trailer for "The Ninth Doctor Chronicles". It's... something.

I can't stop laughing at this. It's almost like they are mocking Eccleston's voice.

I'm not too familiar with their non-fully voice acted ranges, but it seems to me it would have been better to do it more like a straight reading than putting on voices to quite that depth.

A friend of mine has suggested, based on Briggs redubbing the Daleks in the Day of the Daleks re-release, that they should re-release 9's season with Briggs dubbing over all of Eccleston's lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

PriorMarcus posted:

This isn't really a shocking fact, or anything, though, is it. You also made out that us all being unemployed at the end of S9 was a definite sign of the end of DW, and not just what always happens when a series wraps.

Jerusalem posted:

Well I really, really liked that. And I really like Bill. Really hoping the rest of the season is as strong.

Bill and Peter are superb together. Knew it from the first scenes they shot and really glad it's come across in the edit.

Someone had a go at me for using "the doctor who series" font on that sign so I had to dig out the reference for them. You're in a bad place when even I know more about Doctor Who than you do.

How good do the TARDIS's new signs look? (very good is the answer). The university office set is one of the best we've done in years, I think.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 17, 2017

• Locked thread