Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watched Heaven Sent again tonight, what a loving amazing episode.

One of the best ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CrashScreen posted:

That episode made really, really like Doctor Who again. Then the next episode soured me on it for a while.

I was riding high on the quality and the splendor of Heaven Sent that when I watched Hell Bent right after, I didn't even hate it.

To be fair though, I didn't hate Hell Bent when it originally aired and there are some pretty awesome moments in it, all things considered.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

I wish I could start watching this again, but I really dislike this doctor. :(

Peter Capaldi is actually very awesome as The Doctor as well as being a great doodler who does cool poo poo like:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Poor parking job, Doctor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I disagree. That got old two episodes in and I'm glad it's an angle they eventually dropped.

Just going to chime in here and say that the aging rockstar is probably my favorite evolution of 12.

I've said it before in earlier threads but I loved the Raybans and the guitar. It's a large part of why I don't dislike Hell Bent as much as some other goons around here. Where 11 tried his hardest to be hip and cool, 12 actually succeeded imho.

I hope in his final stretch we get to see a little bit more of that Doctor before he regenerates.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 13, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I thought that was a really well done and very good episode of Doctor Who and has me looking forward to the rest of the season.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you laughed or chuckled at or smiled or even just enjoyed anything about Nardole, then he's not a useless character. In fact, he seems pretty essential and welcome.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheezle posted:

I'm assuming Nardole was introduced in the Christmas episode. I didn't watch that one since they're almost always garbage.

He was introduced in the Christmas Special before last years Christmas Special but he was also in that one too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I enjoyed the cup on the Doctors desk filled with all his various sonics throughout the years. loving sweet call backs, but where was Eights sonic? I thought Moff liked Big Finish.

Was the Season 2 opener of Class any good? Does it pick up where the finale left off? Did we get more Weeping Angels? Basically give me some reason to watch it, please.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

cargohills posted:

Also, there hasn't been a second series of Class yet.

Oh for some reason I thought it started on the same night as Series 10.

cargohills posted:

Eight's TV Movie/Night of the Doctor sonic was there. I think there's only one copy of the Big Finish sonic and I don't think the BBC have the rights to it (I think the model-maker owns the design).

Ah well. Now that I think about it, it didn't have War Doctors sonic in there either. :(

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Wasn't the War Doctor's screwdriver the one Nardole used for his diversion? I don't remember War's very well but I remembered it being red and having the same-ish shape.

Same screwdriver body, but War Doctor pulls down on it to reveal the emitter instead of it sticking out the top all the time. Also the emitter glows red.

jivjov posted:

It actually did! It just wasn't visible from the first shot we see of the cup; it's tucked behind and you can only see it from the reverse angle

Oh there is is.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Going back a few pages but the answer to this is and will always 100% be the Weeping Angels Adipose

Ftfy

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Breetai posted:

(every time Capaldi took out that loving guitar I cringed, and the episode where he's fighting monsters made of eye crusts made me shut off the TV mid-episode with no desire to see any more of it for the first time since I started watching the show with Tom Baker in the '80's ).

gently caress you and anybody who cringes when 12 pulls out his guitar.

I want a multi Doctor episode where 12 meets 2 and they have a jam session.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

After The War posted:

Aren't we forgetting someone?

Just as 12 is tuning his axe and 2 is about to press the recorder to his lips there comes a sudden rythmic purcussion of spoons.

"Not interrupting anything, am I?"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

vegetables posted:

I can't stand 12's guitar, but it has nothing to do with it being whimsical or part of the actor's personality— I find it cringy because it's a very old man thing to do. I feel like the Doctor isn't supposed to come across as an adult, and strumming away with sunglasses on your guitar is a very adulty thing to do. That's not true of the spoons or jellybabies, because they don't come with the same level of symbolic baggage.

Let's agree to disagree. I find 12 doing the aging rockstar thing to not only suit this incarnations tendancy to actually feel his age (it's the oldest he's ever been) but also a successful attempt to be "cool" without much effort on his part. 11 always strived to be that cool but usually just missed the mark, which was endeering in its own way.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just read that the Master played drums while in a band on Gallifrey in his youth so let's throw Missy into that Multi Doctor jam sesh, just because.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well we all know the TARDIS takes him where he needs to be. So anytime the Doctor landed somewhere or somewhen unintended it was for the better. Anytime he landed with pin point accuracy it was just the TARDIS saying, "yes, I agree let's go there" rather than "weeeeellllll, how about here instead?"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

3 episodes in and this is already Capaldi's best season. It's cruel that this is his last but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Three knocks, a regeneration incoming. It has to be a deformed version of the 12th. Behind the vale lies a yard.

I thought I heard four knocks. Isn't it always four knocks?

It's the Caretaker in the vault!

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 30, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I must be in the minority here. I HATE Victorian loving London episodes.

Maybe but probably because the majority of people just guage the quality of an episode on things like story, plot, dialog etc before outright disliking it based on the setting or whatever.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

"Never have I had time for the luxury of outrage."

The Doctor lies.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I didn't like this quote. How would the Doctor possibly count how many children where on Gallifrey that day?

He could estimate? He could ask the TARDIS? There's probably a bunch of ways he could find out, but I'm not imaginative enough to list them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fun episode that actually kind of spooked me at a few points. Capaldi is really killing it this season. He's really making it hard to swallow the fact that this is it for him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sorry, someone explain why 88% can be read as a Nazi thing because I don't see or know the connection.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

God I hope nobody involved with Doctor Who reads the Facebook comments on anything they ever post on there. Just the fuckin worst goddamn fans next to the ones for Star Wars and Ghostbusters.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nothing will ever top Ghostbusters fans hating the GB Facebook page's pictures of little girls dressed up as Ghostbusters for Halloween. The saddest loving fandom, I swear.

That is so loving lovely that I'm glad they got the movie they did last year.

Astroman posted:

Same. There is no place this cool for DW anywhere else. :colbert:

:agreed:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I dunno, Peter Capaldi is pretty swoon-worthy with his wavey silver locks, attack-eyebrows and Scootish accent for a white cis male.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Some of my best friends are Blueish!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh rad, so the channel I'm watching the episode on blacked out but left audio shortly after The Doctor lost his eyesight so I get to experience it exactly how he does. Thanks Space Channel!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

*Blueish

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Too bad Eccleston hates Doctor Who.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

He's just put Doctor Who behind him and (currently) has little to no interest in reprising his role.

Because he loving hates Doctor Who.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't have a source for this but I mean, he said no to the 50th Special, poor Nick Briggs has to voice Nine for BF, and he's the least involved in anything to do with the show of practically every living actor who's played the part of The Doctor.

Dude hates Who.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Nick Briggs is also voicing 10 and 11 for Big Finish. Guess Tennant and Smith also hate Who

Well we know Tennant likes BF. Jury is still out on Matt Smith!

But I'm mostly taking the piss here guys, don't take my opinion on Who hates Who as insider info or anything.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't mind Blind 12 because I've always liked his sonic Raybans and how he gets to use them along with his screwdriver to bumble around.

Murderion posted:

I loved the pope walking in on Bill's date right after she said they had nothing to feel guilty about. :allears:

Ya that part was real good, as was Bills reaction to it and subsequent request to the Doctor to never send the Pope to her bedroom.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Namtab posted:

Man you guys are clearly watching a much different season than me

I dunno, what season are you watching? Shits been super tight right from the getgo.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TinTower posted:

Linked from the actual scene's page, this is pretty dope tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAY-tgKr52s

This was pretty impressive.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

This great season makes me retroactively more annoyed that they stretched out "who am I? am I a good man?" for a whole season.

I feel like they even did that just because Capaldi looks like such a loving badass and it made long time fans think that there was the possibility he was the Valeyard or something.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

And Cyber-Brig.

Never forget Cyber-Brig

*salutes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yes, lets.

This episode had some cool moments in it, like that Trump joke.

The Previously and Now opening.

I got to see 12 jam on his guitar some more.

People melting looked real good.

Another little person actor!

• Locked thread