Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was going to post the Wall of Shame for the previous thread, but most of you had disappointingly low post counts <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Trying to catch up for the new season, which means subjecting myself to the two Christmas specials I've missed. I'm not quite halfway through Husbands and, uh...oof. This is quickly approaching Voyage of The Damned levels of unwatchable. It honestly makes me angry that Moffat and co have had two of the best actors to ever play The Doctor and there's maybe two seasons of good episodes between them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I fully expected to hate Nardole based on thread reactions, but he's been fairly unobtrusive.

These first two episodes have been fine. However, it's pretty apparent that they came up with the monsters first and built the plot around them. I realize "mystery wrapped up with a half-assed explanation at the 45 minute mark" is a revival tradition, but you can't do it two episodes in a row.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Since when ARE there seats in the Tardis, anyway?

9/10 had that couch and I'm almost certain 11's had seats or stools.

ed: Yep

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 24, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

Seven is clacking his spoons, Two is playing the recorder, Twelve is jamming out on the guitar, and all of a sudden Six comes in with an accordion and a lecture as to why it's infinitely superior, until the rest of them rough him up, and toss him back into his TARDIS, where he hits his head.

Huh. Until you said this, I never realized I wanted a story where one Doctor causes another's regeneration.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

It would be particularly headachey if it was, say, the Thirteenth Doctor doing it to the Twelfth.

The End of Time should have ended with Matt Smith quietly smothering Tennant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
God help me, I actually feel like rewatching the RTD years. I haven't seen most of them for 5+ years and I'm sure they've aged terribly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

....they know he was a Jew, right? :confused:

These are the same people who thought the Grail would be diamond studded. You can't expect them to be logical, they choose poorly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

God I hope nobody involved with Doctor Who reads the Facebook comments on anything they ever post on there. Just the fuckin worst goddamn fans next to the ones for Star Wars and Ghostbusters.

Nothing will ever top Ghostbusters fans hating the GB Facebook page's pictures of little girls dressed up as Ghostbusters for Halloween. The saddest loving fandom, I swear.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Nothing against BF, but a full cast 11th Doc audio series is probably the only thing that could get me into the audios. I've listened to a handful of 8 stories but the format just doesn't grab me. (And yes, I've tried the usual recommended stories.)

This season is still solid, but I found this episode pretty lacking. I'm not sure I even understand what story purpose Bill "dying" served. There's better ways to demonstrate the dangers of trusting the Doctor, or how he often lies to downplay threats. That qualm aside, I think the episode could've used a rewrite that emphasized the cold and inhuman business practices at play more than what we got. I'm still really happy with the chemistry between Bill and 12. She's the companion Capaldi should have had from the start. That's not a knock on Coleman or Clara, and I understand the logic behind leaving a familiar face in the tardis while you introduce a new Doctor, but I was never sold on their relationship. Clara seems like the kind of person who would have left 12 for good early on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

The new season of Samurai Jack is a good example for this. There's a straight relationship on that show that got a very small, but very loud, part of tumblr up in arms as well as some others. You can not LIKE it, but generally the reasons they give for not liking it do not equate to it actually being wrong- just not what they wanted.

Wait, people are mad about that relationship? Jack and Ashi are adorable together! :psyduck:

ed: Wow, holy poo poo I'm glad I dropped out of the Samurai Jack thread after the premiere. There's people claiming Tartakovsky has gone full Lucas and the new season has been total poo poo since the forest fight. Are they even watching the same show?

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 17, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Nirvana only exists when you're in 8th-10th grade, like a Grunge Brigadoon. After that, they fade from memory and simply become "that baby pool album band".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

Yeah people try to repress this fact

But the true king of 90s music?

Garth Brooks.

Everyone else was but an ant in the storm that was Garth Brooks in the 90s

If you turn off the lights and chant "Garth Brooks" into a mirror, Chris Gaines appears

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
She has to step down as The Master so that she can accept the role of The Doctor.

A man can dream. A man can dream. :unsmith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You'd think shooting them until their regenerations ran out would be easier than devising some contraption and guarding the body for a thousand years, but :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Everything with the World's Worst Biolab and the ":ussr: THIS IS THE RUSSIAN OUTPOST :ussr:" establishing shot was laughably bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

The monks probably rejected that aspect of their simulation because it was so clearly something that would never happen in real life, and this oversight has cascaded into a series of errors that lead to them not seeing the Doctor's solution.

There was probably another fork where their simulation said the UK would vote for Brexit and they just shook their heads and fired their programmer.

So you're saying the monks work for Nate Silver?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I missed the first 15 or 20 minutes but from wha tI saw, Bill made the wrong deal. Enslave the Earth so the Doctor can get his eyesight back? The Doctor is the ruler of Earth and Bill speaks for the Earth. Ugh.

The other thing is that Bill isn't aware of regeneration or the Doctor's past lives. For all she knows, the lab explosion will kill The Doctor for good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Who still has literal easy-shatter glass lenses in their glasses? Polycarbonates are basically the standard and just pop out of the frame.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

It is really sad to watch the BBC try to play things safe at the same time that Netflix cancels some of its riskier, more high cost productions. Hopefully Chibnall will be able to do something interesting around the chains.

If nothing else, maybe Chibnall can actually run the show without ridiculous delays, budget problems, and BTS drama. It's been said before, but during Moffat's tenure he managed to waste two of the best actors to ever play the role because he couldn't run the show in a professional and effective manner. The BBC's reaction and desire for a more marketable Doctor shouldn't be surprising, and Moffat should be held accountable for his fuckups instead of lauded by the fanbase for his half-assed output.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Mr Bean's Scottish cousin

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Pretty lackluster, but not an unwatchable mess so it's really a wash. I don't understand the thought process behind stretching this paper-thin premise into a three parter, especially when we've already seen similar schemes in the revival (Silence, Simm Master). I still think this is Capaldi's strongest season, if only because we haven't had a Forest or Zygon level disaster yet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really dig the tattered blue coat Capaldi wore in the last episode. The costuming for this season has been excellent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Anything's better than that goddamn hoodie.

DoctorWhat posted:

the hoodie is perfect

:agreed: I love the hoodie and the holey shirt. Come at me.

echoplex posted:

Really strong Half Life 2 vibes from this which makes me really wish I'd done it, as I'm pretty sure our 71 year old designer has never played it, and would have been great to really run with that.
This is partly why the episode felt lackluster to me. "The Doctor in City 17" has so much potential.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Tennant had his brown and blue suits, and a couple different colors of his trainers. Smith had two different tweed coats, his brown coat, that military-style coat (the green one), and the coat with the long tails that he wore from 7b until Time of the Doctor.

11 also had several different shirts and ties. His original burgundy and blue shirts were gorgeous.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
9 changed his jumper a couple times. That counts!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

2house2fly posted:

The first half of Deep Breath didn't land for me but the second half totally did. I was weirded out when I saw people saying they didn't feel Capaldi because his character wasn't defined until the second series because, uh, are you kidding:

Early Capaldi was hamstrung by the ridiculous "am I a good man?" poo poo. The audience already knows the answer, there's zero chance the writers will provide the unexpected answer, so it comes off as forced and uninteresting. What finally sold me was dropping that and committing to his "3, but more insane and devious" persona.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

See, here's the thing. When we found out Moffat was taking over, I could give you a decent idea of what the Moffat era would be like before any episodes had aired, and I'd have been fairly correct in my estimations. I have absolutely no idea what a Chibnall-helmed Who will be like., and that feels incredibly weird.

If I had to condense my speculation down to a single word it would be "Safe". That's based entirely on all the rumors we've heard about BBC wanting a more marketable Doctor and Chibnall's almost total lack of a distinct style. I'm sure it'll be watchable and entertaining, but completely toothless and safe for general audiences. Picture Iron Man 3 or Avengers 1 in tone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

2house2fly posted:

I'm curious to see what the BBC's vision of "more marketable" is.

Strong rumors that they've explicitly been searching for a "David Tennant-type".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Look all I'm saying is that if there is going to be a new Star Trek, it should be a followup to DS9 and about Sisko returning from The Black Lodgethe Wormhole, and the show is written, directed and produced by David Lynch.

Surely that isn't asking too much.

Sisko returns in O'Brien's body. SiskoBrien enters Quark's and proceeds to win jackpots while shouting DaaaaaaBBBoooOOOOOoooo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Finally caught up with everything. Empress of Mars and Eaters of Light were both bog-standard and nearly put me to sleep, with the ridiculous "NASA" from Mars' intro being the only standout. World Enough... is the first episode this season that really feels like a genuinely great episode. That's not to say this season hasn't been entertaining, but unless they completely botch the landing (always a possibility with this show), I have a feeling WE&T will end up as this season's Heaven Sent.

I follow the spoiler thread, so I'd seen the sockheads and Mondasian Cybermen months ago in set leaks and I was unsure the designs would work in 2017. Glad to see I was wrong and that they were genuinely unsettling. As always, lighting and cinematography make all the difference.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Shneak posted:

Is the Doctor and Bill's conversation about the Doctor's gender a tangent we should pay attention to?

BBC has no interest in casting a woman in the role, they're dead-set on hiring another Tennant because they think that'll be more marketable. This isn't personal speculation, it's basically been confirmed by several sources close to production including someone who posts here.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like the idea of Missy not being Simm's direct successor, but I also really want a scene where Missy gets tired of dealing with Simm and kills him to create a second Missy. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I must be taking crazy pills, because I completely disagree with the general consensus. This episode was properly terrible. It traded in the body horror of part one for a bunch of uninspired action scenes starring the same boring "generic sc-fi robot" Cybermen we've been plagued with for the last ten years. The Masters backstabbing each other was perfect and inevitable, but Missy's character arc ending with her dead in the dirt was loving awful. Moffat pulls one last "the companion isn't really dead, here's a ridiculous power of love ending that lets them go on adventures forever". And then to round out this hourlong shitfest, out of the blue we get a CapaldiDoc who suddenly doesn't want to regenerate, despite that going completely against his character. "I don't want to go" makes sense for Tennant, but Capaldi's Doctor never echoed anything close to that sentiment and using it here feels like a really cheap and unearned way to set up an uninspired and trite Christmas Carol rip-off special (again).

It's an absolute travesty to waste Capaldi on this terrible writing. Thank god we only have to suffer through one final Moffat episode.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 2, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Doctor Who: Its the end...but the moment has been poorly budgeted for

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Obviously we'll know who the next Doctor is before the special airs, but when? Is that the sort of thing they'd announce at SDCC in two weeks?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Echoing everyone else, I love Capaldi's Doctor. Shame about all the poo poo episodes he had to endure during his tenure though. :shrug:

An even bigger shame is that I can say the exact same thing about Matt Smith.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Basically every Doctor is a good Doctor, they just sometimes have bad stories.

Eh, there's a couple bad Doctors that sometimes have good stories.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW <:mad:>

A hiatus is the perfect time to discuss ugly truths. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know 6 has been redeemed by his audio stories, but when you judge him purely on his televised stories, he's a Bad Doctor. He's prickly in a smug kind of way, he's arrogant, he's violent, he's downright cruel to Peri at times. Combine that personality with subpar writing and it's no surprise casual fans don't care for him.

I know Colin is a wonderful person and I'm aware of the production issues of that era, but why didn't anyone pick up on this at the time and go "Hey, wait a second, gents..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Two Doctors is an anomaly, yeah. I do really enjoy that story, even though 6 has never clicked for me in other stuff. I wish Troughton had done another special before the original series ended.

• Locked thread