Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ditto on the surprisingly good verdict. Moffat often makes me want to throw the TV out or the window, but not this time. Bill came across really well. Seems like a "jumping on point", which is odd given the behind the scenes goings on, but doesn't take anything away from the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Echoing pretty much everyone. It was decent, fun episode. I still haven't wanted to throw my phone/TV out if the, which is a record for recent Who.

Also didn't expect the black Jesus line, but I'm good with it.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

echoplex posted:

<snip> phone apps (none of which get seen but we do make interactive apps for every scripted phone sequence) </snip>

The whole thing is cool and I echo the fact it's great that you can talk in so much detail about the work. The phone thing just reminded me of the work of putting in all these little details, which add up to making everything seem more natural and real. I remember from the Chip & Ironicus LP of Uncharted 4, they use Sony phones (of course) and the LP shows that, with some loving about in photo mode, you can see the phone UI and it's actually a correct, working, Sony phone UI. Just because they knew someone would look for it!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

"Capitalism. In space!"
Like the opening line and then the little bit about door sounds. Funny and not too on the nose.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I agree, that was a really fun episode and now wondering when poo poo is gonna go wrong.

Also, jokes about BBC left wing bias will be broken out I'm sure. I'm all for some space communism in my sci-fi, there's only so many Culture novels.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I think we've reach peak 'The Doctor has slept with famous historical person'. It might have overtaken "Doctor Who?" lines for being overdone. Or maybe I'm just too hard on the running gags sometimes.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 20, 2017

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ditto. It made my interest pick right up.
Also, Doctor Who talkibg about Grand Theft Auto and Star Trek, the times we live in.

Edit: Reading Greg Egan's Permutation City at the moment and it very slightly deals with some of the same ideas. Not super over lapping but it made my mind go "cool".

And the twist, very Twilight Zone, etc.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 20, 2017

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'm sad they didn't do differnet opening credits. I'm a sucker for special/altered intros for some reason.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

That was a pretty good space vfx. I like it!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Wow, they are laying it on heavy. But I'm worried it's all "trailer bait" or "Dusty Finish" style stuff.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

And we get Dusty. But I'm liking it apart from that. Very creepy right now.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ohh it's got layers. Like a big old sci-fi onion.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ohhhh drat!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'll admit, the ended clinched it in changing my opinon. I'm still not sure how the link back to the cold open bit is going to work out. But the rest? Ohh was a great twist. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Did they just Bill and Ted that?

• Locked thread