Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

No one's asking what/who's in the vault the Doctor and Nardole are protecting?

I already know what's going to be in the vault: disappointment.

I enjoyed this episode. Not the most brilliant episode of Doctor Who ever but it was pleasant. And I liked Bill which I think was the most important thing for the episode to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Time Lords can also survive in the vacuum of space (Twelve specifically had zero problems taking his time getting into a spacesuit) so I'm not sure how long they were out there if his eyes boiled in the meantime. :ohdear:

Have we seen a time lord exposed to hard vacuum for more than about thirty seconds or so? The impression I have is that they were outside for about five to ten minutes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Half way through I thought I was going to hate this episode and then it turned out to be pretty good. I appreciated the line about the suicides not being the natural reaction also since I know that if I discovered I was a fake person my reaction would be to try to break the simulation since I'm an rear end in a top hat that way.

Missy in the vault is kind of a bland answer to "what's in there?" but I liked the reasons why so I can't complain too much.

I don't think I'd mind blind Doctor until he regenerates. As long as they don't go over the top with it and just use the situation to give the Doctor some new challenges for his last few stories.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The medicine thing felt like a few (loving terrible) lines that could have been deleted from the script without changing much. I don't know how you fix the Zygon story without starting from scratch.

Forest of the Night would still have been a terrible episode without those lines, it just wouldn't be a contender for worst Doctor Who episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, you can do "it's all fake" stories, but something has to matter. Like in Extremis, the point wasn't "it's fake so we can gently caress everything up", it was "it's fake and here's how people figure it out and what even a fake Doctor can do about it". This episode could have stood fine on its own with the conclusion being now that the real Doctor knows what's going on the villains are doomed to failure (which they are, of course, but that would be a one minute epilogue instead of a full episode next week).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Doctor Who is going to China, with SMG Pictures holding the rights for Series 1-15. That's right, Series 15 (Season 41).

I wonder how they're handling the "no time travel" requirement by Chinese censors.

(The answer, like most business dealings in authoritarian countries, is "with a large pile of money".)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Giving people a crisis to figure out and see how they deal with it seems to be in line with the whole exercise.

Yeah, my impression was that they had been running a lot of different scenarios. Presumably former simulated Doctors gave them trouble before (even if they devised plans to kill him) but now that the Doctor is vulnerable they think their invasion can succeed. My guess is that the resolution is going to deal with the fact that their simulation isn't perfect and Doctor takes advantage of one of their blindspots (ha) to beat them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not how it works and it didn't blow up

Blown up, ripped a hole in space time that sucked all of us into an alternate universe where the Nazis win 70 years after WWII; same difference.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The only problem with this episode is that you know Big Finish will do a convoluted and completely unnecessary story trying to make it and Spare Parts fit together. It's okay to have a few different versions of the story!

With the regeneration cold open, I was spending the episode going, "What if Capaldi regenerates into Simm?!"

Also, glad I wasn't the only one at the opening who went, "Finally, the Red Dwarf/Doctor Who crossover we've all been clamoring for!"

Carbon dioxide posted:

But when the Doctor had to intervene and he acknowledged "I am Doctor Who", at least one of my eyebrows went up. How do you folks interpret that line?

Moffat was yanking everyone's chains with a throwback reference. Right around the time of The 10th Planet, there were several stories that essentially gave his name as "Doctor Who". He was, as stated in the episode, winding us up.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, I've got to point out that stabbed Master has got hours to live and is going to a place with a lot of advanced medical technology just sitting around. It's very likely that he didn't regenerate.

Basically, unless you see the Master die on screen then assume he or she didn't. And if you do see the Master die on screen, you can be sure that she or he didn't.

• Locked thread