Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

jivjov posted:

That's.....a bit of a stretch.

It is possible that neo-nazis are not the most intelligent and creative people the world has ever known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's an AMA Jamie Mathieson did on Reddit shortly before the episode came out.

One thing he mentions is that he hasn't heard from Chibnall about contributing to season 11 and he expects that Chibnall will largely have his own team with him. Disappointing if that's how it pans out but probably not unexpected.

I'm not nearly as apprehensive about Chibnall as showrunner as I once would have been (he's grown a lot as a writer since the dark dark days of early Torchwood) but this certainly isn't the best news I've ever heard.

Then again, I doubt all those decisions have even been made and frankly I'll be happy if we have a Season 11 at all before 2025.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It would have been so much better if they'd lost the I'M STILL BLIIIIIIIIIND stinger at the end. Just the Doctor repeatedly telling Nardole that he couldn't look at him and leaving us to wonder and speculate would have been way more effective.

Still a pretty solid episode, if not Matheson's finest.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YOU WATCHED IT
YOU CAN'T UN-WATCH IT
(It being In The Forest of the Night)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I'm a simple man and I don't ask for much, all I want is River Song being chased away from Totter's Lane by a suspicious and belligerent 1st Doctor :3:

Or, even better, coming across her and her gang, all WHAT ARE YOU YOUNG PEOPLE DOING IN MY TARDIS

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I wouldn't have expected the weakest part of this to be written by Toby Whithouse but here we are.

I dunno, I actually liked the first two parts quite a lot, but the conclusion felt really rushed, and the "regeneration" felt like it was more about fooling the real world press than serving the story. (And everyone laughing at Bill's genuine distress after shooting the Doctor felt really off to me.)

I do like that the Doctor is (possibly even successfully) rehabilitating Missy though.

Is the reason Bill's memory of her mother broke the Monks' power that it was created by the Doctor on a whim and thus wasn't ever part of the Monks' simulations?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Right now I feel as if I could watch Nardole wander around the TARDIS and do his thing on the fringes of stories for years, even if he just replaces the Sonic Screwdriver and Sentient TARDIS plot-solving maguffins.

Give me a Semi-Reformed Missy & Nardole spinoff when Capaldi leaves. I do not ask for much, and I feel this is reasonable.

Ultimately, I think this three-parter was a collection of ideas and set pieces, many of which worked very well on their own, that didn't quite fit together as a satisfying whole. And the last episode desperately needed an editing pass or something. (Which, as I mentioned, shocked the hell out of me because Toby Whithouse is usually one of my favorite Who writers.

Mind you, if that's the worst this season has to offer, I'm really not going to complain.

(I'm also secretly glad we got a Power of Love ending, because those make a certain sort of nerd EXTREMELY ANGRY).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I like those once in awhile in my Doctor Who, and I think it sort of worked here. Getting past history-erasing propaganda by thinking of the people who are no longer with us and are therefore a part of that history, instead of the more abstract flashbulb history moments. My guess is that the Whitehouse script got some editing to cobble things together into the three-parter. The more that I think about it, the more it would have been a decent episode without the 15 minute fakeout at the beginning we all knew was going to go the way that it did in the end, and the tacked-on RTD-like "People will manage to forget anything alien!" (this time with more intentional mind-erasure) ending.

Yeah, I think you're right. Cutting (or at least shortening) the fakeout also would give the episode a bit more room to breathe and would make it feel less like we were rushing through the whole rest of the thing checking boxes as we went.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm choosing to believe that the Doctor had already deprogrammed everyone working at those internment camps and that their real purpose was to keep everyone who knew the truth safe from the people who didn't.

It's no more ludicrous than anything else in the episode.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think Blink is a very good piece of science fiction and merely an okay Doctor Who episode.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I know Listen is controversial, but it's also one of my favorites.

It's cool, I'm the one person in the world who actually really liked Deep Breath.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

See, what I should have said is that I'm the only person who liked the first half of Deep Breath. (Though I'm not sure I'd say it's good.)

I didn't like it the first time around, but after a rewatch I came to appreciate some things that I'm not sure were communicated as clearly as they should have been, namely Vastra being completely blinded by her own preconceptions of the Doctor and giving Clara a lot of horrible advice as a result.

Jerusalem posted:

This is still true though. However I think The Crimson Horror comes close, I loving loved that episode.

The Crimson Horror was fantastic, and that pulpy goodness is what I'm hoping for from Empress.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway, if you were going to put me on the spot for a short list of favorite Moffat episodes, Deep Breath wouldn't be on it, but The Wizard's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar would be.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

He's an officer. Which means he almost certainly comes from money and power, even if he doesn't have any himself. My guess is that he had the means to cover it up (probably by calling in every last favor from connected members of his family), and it cost him enough to make heading off to another planet with a spaceman they dug up to get gemstones seem like a good idea.

(E. My entire knowledge of the 19th century British army comes from half-remembered Sharpe episodes I watched like a decade ago. I stand by my assessment.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I thought it was a good and fun episode, much needed after last week's...misstep...and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I thought that presenting a black soldier in a Victorian regiment completely without comment, particularly in an episode that was otherwise very free with its criticisms of Victoriana, was a mistake (if probably a well-intentioned one). Not because it's historically impossible, not because of OH NO MY REALISMS, but because presenting history as friendlier to marginalized people than was actually the case does those people a disservice, in a way that presenting ridiculous things like time travel and space wizards and big stompy Martians does not.

I thought both of those things, and see no contradiction between them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On an unrelated note (that is 1% speculation and 99% vastly unrealistic OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE)...

As far as I know, Michelle Gomez has only ever said she won't be playing Missy any more after this year. (Do not feel the need to correct me on this.) And they've been playing extremely coy about whether and how this might not be a traditional regeneration story.

What if, when Capaldi leaves, the Doctor doesn't so much regenerate as, well, die (or maybe he just retires), and a successfully-reformed Missy takes on the name of the Doctor in his memory?

(I JUST WANT MICHELLE GOMEZ TO PLAY THE DOCTOR IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

cargohills posted:

Making the main character of Doctor Who someone other than Doctor Who for any length of time seems like quite a bad idea.

I mean, yeah, probably.

(Maybe Capaldi will regenerate into her. A MAN CAN DREAM.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Maybe they're just a really lovely regiment.

This is the impression I got, yeah.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Describing Torchwood as "for adults" is incredibly generous.

It was a show for adults, as 12-year-olds imagine adults to be.

e. (Though yeah, Children of Earth was legitimately good.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bear in mind that this is was all under the watchful eye of Chris "The Next Doctor Who Showrunner" Chibnall.

(He's gotten better since.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

He's also written some pretty terrible Doctor Who episodes, but also all of Broadchurch, which was pretty good. If he tries a writers' room approach, if nothing else, it will be different, and much though I love this season, the show needs a big shake up once in awhile.

I didn't hate most of his Doctor Who episodes, in retrospect (well, the Silurian two-parter he did was pretty awful). 42 had a really dumb premise but it kind of worked, I legit liked Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, and The Power Of Three was almost, y'know, good. Y'know, almost.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

42 is astonishing in that I have definitely watched it, possibly more than once, but it is so aggressively unmemorable that it has completely dropped out of my head, to the point where if I do a series watch through, I'll constantly be surprised it exists and then forget it again immediately afterwards. The whole episode has a perception filter on it.

The equivalent for me is Planet of the Dead. I do not hate Planet of the Dead, because that would require me to have formed an emotional or even an intellectual reaction to it that would differentiate the experience of watching it from having stared at a blank screen for an hour and a half.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

But memory wipes are what Big Finish does best! :(

If it were an 8th Doctor story, maybe!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I assumed that "the most horrendously 80s thing I have ever seen" was a compliment.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really liked that. The really solid standalone episodes do tend to be my favorites, though,which I get is not true of everyone.

For all the obvious mysteries about the upcoming finale, I confess to being most curious about how the Cybermen are going to react to Nardole

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I do wish we'd had a bit more Eccleston. For all that series 1 has aged badly, he does some great doctoring.

"Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!" <waggles explosive device with a massive grin>

Yeah, I mean, I can't blame the guy for leaving when he did, and I enjoyed Tennant a lot too, but I can't say I don't wish they'd chained Joe Ahearne to a director's chair for a year or two so Eccleston would have stuck around.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've always been sad no other Vampire franchise has ripped off their genius Camcorder-mounted handguns (no reflection == no image on the screen :eng101:) and charcoal-tipped bullets.

That was one of my favorite things about Ultraviolet, and by extension just how much a pain in the rear end being a vampire must be in the modern world.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The bit where their voices couldn't carry electronically was probably the only bit that didn't make sense.

I want to say that they don't leave fingerprints either, which is even sillier, but I kind of dig that. The idea of taking a scientific approach to studying and hunting things that are in no sense rational is a really interesting take to me.

I also really liked that one of the hunters' central beliefs about "Code Vs", that their discomfort around people and symbols of faith was entirely a matter of superstition on the part of the vampires, was shown to be completely wrong a couple of times, and I'm not sure that the team ever spotted it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...and now I have to find my Ultraviolet DVDs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dabir posted:

Nah there's Supernatural in there too.

Because of course there is.

(I liked Supernatural for a while but there are some fandoms I will never engage with even a little and Supernatural's is at least three of them)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

She's not even definitely leaving, as far as I know, it's just a (pretty credible) rumor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I won't see it until tomorrow (thank you Amazon Video) and I'll bow out until I do since I already know too much (not taking anyone to task, I did it to myself), but I don't see why the Cybermen having multiple origins need be any different than there being three Atlantises or UNIT being unstuck in time.

The very idea of Doctor Who 'canon' is ridiculous.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if the Master had anything to do with that expedition to the 500th floor failing? They had the clocks showing that 2 days passed in the control room while 10,000 years passed at their end of the ship, so they should have realized how long an expedition would take. Even a quick look 'round would have had them away from the city for years.

The thing that occurred to me is that the only source of information we have about this supposed expedition is the Master himself. For all we know, he was lying through his teeth, there was no such expedition or any real danger above them, and there was nothing (except him, and I guess the Doctor's instructions to wait) preventing Bill from hopping on that elevator at any time. I guess her Cyber-Heart could have stopped working though, and it would have been the longest elevator ride ever from her perspective. (Or would it? Time dilation gives me headaches.)

Anyway, holy poo poo that was great. It would have been even better if JOHN SIMM IS COMING BACK AS THE MASTER hadn't been all over the place for like a year, but such is the reality of television promotion I guess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When Simm-Master regenerates, an amnesiac Missy is only going to remember that she likes loving with doctors, and is going to end up as the staff liason at an English hospital for a few years.

(Yes I've been watching Green Wing again. What of it?)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Well, this is certainly going to be a depressing way to end the season. Christ. Good job with the Cybermen, though. They're genuinely creepy for like the first time since... like... the Tenth Planet. The Master revelation felt a bit Old Who in more of a cheesy way, but I'll take it.

This definitely wasn't the way that I wanted Bill to go out, though. :(

As awesome as the Mondasian design is, I found the 'patients with IV stands tapping out messages on keypads' pre-Cybermen to be even creepier.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, SIMM, not SIMMS, for god's sake, people.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Just one thing I'm a little unclear on. Did the Mondasians, pre-wandering, commision this ship from an alien construction company.

That does seem a little on the odd side, if only because you'd think that a version of Mondas that had contact with alien life would have had other options for "our planet is loving unlivable" than "welp let's turn ourselves into cyborg monomaniacs". Then again, maybe this ship was their 'evacuate Mondas' plan and, well, we saw how it turned out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Astroman posted:

This has been Moffat's master plan all along. He's had this in mind since he became showrunner, probably since he was a teenager actually. Become in charge of Doctor Who, spend years trying to prove you're not sexist and act as progressive as possible while apologizing for gaffes and doing stuff like MtF Time Lord regeneration, create a gay, black, female character--and have her killed off by a white male.

:boom:

Patriarchy's ultimate victory! With a totally non-convoluted plan!

On a related note, I cannot decide whether a blue person panicking and shooting a black person who was posing him no actual threat is just a coincidence or some of the most subtle and creative satire that Doctor Who has ever done. I'm choosing to think the latter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Rewatching again. I still love the very meta "These are my disposables... Exposition and Comic Relief."

"Those are genders, dear."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

What I'm wondering is, he's established as some kind of janitor type called Mr Razor right after Bill wakes up. Was he always Mr Razor or did he put on the disguise one day and say "the Master had to go, I'm his replacement"?

I'm guessing he was always Mr. Razor (and might even have been one of the original 50) and just shot anyone who looked like they were about to haul him off for conversion and stuffed them in a body bag with a keyboard that shouted "PAIN" occasionally.

• Locked thread