Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

By the way,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So Class was also a thing. I give it two series before getting canned.

One series was more than enough thankyouverymuch.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it me or was the text above the map of the spaceship in the Star Trek font?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

... Hey wait, in the episode they made a big deal about the empty area around the engine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/UOEHljn.mp4
"Don't frown. Frown and you're dead."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wheezle posted:

In this case it was the bit about not bringing the seats closer to the console. After nonsensical poo poo like remarking that the Tardis looks like a kitchen, it just feels like Moffatt trying way too hard to emphasise how down to earth and practical this person is by making her *absurdly* so. It feels like a parody.

Outside of these moments she's delightful, though.

Since when ARE there seats in the Tardis, anyway?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That was solid, nothing groundbreaking but a fun watch.

Agreed.

The fish was basically Nibbler from Futurama's big brother, though.

Also, see how many details from the episode you recognize in this painting, titled Frost Fair of 1814 (yes it was real):

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

None of those links work for me :(

They're just regular ol' imgur links that work perfectly fine here. Must be something on your end.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

They have. Especially the Eccleston season. I'm not sure how it wasn't canceled. It's loving awful. It gets better every season after that. Your mileage may vary as I think the Matt Smith era just after RTD left was the high water mark.

Back when I started watching Who, RTD was all we had and we ENJOYED it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, who looks for a 6 bedroom place? You're all going to end up hating Pavel and his late night DJ sets. Just look for a couple of 3 beds close to eachother. Be sensible, guys!

I just assumed the UK has no housing offices like we do, that just list all available student rooms on the website, and you can apply for a visit and an interview with the people currently living there, and if you like each other that's your room.

Walking around with some sort of landlord guy checking out houses? Never seen anything like that before. Probably some UKism.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

hanales posted:

Is developing a custom app cheaper than cgi at this point? Or is it just more flexible?

Either way, fascinating.

It's incredibly simple to make a sort of mock-up demo app that just cycles through a bunch of screens as you tap certain parts of the screen. It's used by software companies to show customers "we're working on this right now, does this look good? We'll let you know when the app is actually functional."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

echoplex posted:

I have A Guy who has been my go-to for involved motion graphics or APK-based apps for a couple of years (DW, Red Dwarf, etc). All the design side stuff comes from me, who is paid for in the show budget, and then he does the coding as a supplier with a day rate. Way way cheaper than handing it to the post department (mostly), as then facilities + people are booked up. I don't know because I've never asked but I would assume the show budgets a set amount of post per episode, in terms of man hours and workflow, so the art dept interfering with that is presumably frowned upon.

It doesn't cost much to comp a phone screen in, true, but the stby art directors/actual episode directors/DPs etc tend to like to have real screens generating real light/interactivity, and generally it's better to have something real on screen if not just for the actor to interact/thumb to.

edit: here's the phone sequence flow from Ep 3 - most of which was unseen. I design the layouts in AI, and send it with annotations to my animator. Usually no more than a day my end and a day his end.

The most important question: How do you decide what percentage the battery is at in your mock phone screens? I bet people complain if it's too low or too high.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The best thing about Nardole is that so far, there haven't been any episodes where he overstays his welcome.

I feel he would get really annoying if he got any more screen time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/05/iplayer-login-tv-licence-fee-dodging/

quote:

E-mail addresses used to login to the iPlayer will be matched with records kept by TV Licensing to see if individuals are dodging the £145.50 fee to watch content, the BBC said. However, people still pay their telly licence in a variety of ways, including via debit or credit card over the phone, by post, or over-the-counter.

Presumably, the logic is that if someone is watching the iPlayer via a laptop or device, then they'll also be paying their licence fee online. But the BBC is also seemingly relying on those individuals to use the same e-mail address for the iPlayer and TV licensing.

"You’ll soon need to sign in to watch and listen to things on BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Radio," the BBC is now telling users via its iPlayer service. "And the same goes for some other parts of the BBC. This is so we can make the BBC more relevant and personal to you."

This might be relevant for a number of viewers.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So the moral of this episode is that GM research is Bad and Evil?

:(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

Shonky as gently caress "lab" - an airlock thing that has no safety measures to prevent both doors being open, but can be shut when the lab is in lockdown mode, but can be opened with a dumb rear end combo lock that you get on luggage. Standard office ceiling tiles and vents. An enviroment where the scientists have to wear full body protection, but just choose to take the protection off (also the suits were not even sealed) and can also just bring coffee in. Scientist just sees plants dissolve into goo in front of him, reaches in a scoops it up in a jar and runs out into the non sealed part of the lab.

Yeah, I agree that was really stupid.

The doctor also made an explicit point about GM - even though most GM research is perfectly harmless, and the type that isn't causes financial troubles instead of biological ones.

IF, and that's a big IF, some kind of lab germ ever escaped, it would be from a lab where they do research on bacteria/viruses in order to learn how to beat them with medicine. In almost all of these labs, they use strains of bacteria/viruses that have been made utterly and completely harmless. In the ones where they work with 'live' infectious bacteria, safety protocols are so incredibly strict that even with a mistake similar to what was shown in the episode, everything would easily be contained.

In my opinion, this episode gives the message that biochem research is bad, and in that way suffers from the same problem as that other episode a season or so ago that gave off a terribly wrong message to all viewers.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

The one issue I have with the blindness thing is- surely disability law would require that a lab not have a combination lock that ONLY works visually. ATMs all have to have Braille, after all.

Of course you could still have the Doctor not having bothered with Braille because of his specs seeing for him, but the point is, that's a lawsuit from a blind biologist waiting to happen.

Not like a major flaw but whatever.

Anyway, I'm getting kinda pissed at how BBC America is handling this show. The last few episodes have had sort of cliffhangery endings, and each time it hasn't really registered for me right away that the episode is over because of that loving "And now with no fanfare, Class" transition. There needs to be SOME kind of vaguely outro-ish thing. Honestly it's made me more resolved than ever to ignore Class completely.

There's literally no way to read a pipette or anything if you're blind. You'd have to redesign hundreds of millions worth of equipment to make a blind person able to work in a biochem lab, and even then it would be tricky.

Do disability laws still apply for places where blind people literally cannot work?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, something is out of order.

This episode, Nardole was told he has human lungs. In the space station episode, he seemed to be aware of this and wore a suit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

All of the statues were just instantly dropped from orbit. Bill said she was in the pyramid giving her consent one moment, and then <possible memory less> next moment she was somewhere outside and the Monks were already fully in control.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Astroman posted:

At the end of the day, the regeneration fake out was entirely for the audience. Not much more to it than that.

The CGI guys probably needed to test if the regen button still works, for when Capaldi leaves.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Something else from this episode that reminded me of Red Dwarf were the super-fast elevators. They mostly abandoned it after the first season, but I loved that idea that traveling from one end of the ship to another was such a lengthy process that the lifts were actually set up really luxuriously because you were probably going to spend at least a dozen+ hours in one before you arrived at your location.

The idea of the lifts in this one is pretty terrifying, how would your perception of time be affected by moving closer towards the Black Hole at the same time the ship is (slowly) pulling away from it?

The elevators weren't actually *that* fast. You saw the floor counter slow down as it reached the top floor. That wasn't just the elevator slowing down, that was literally the time within the elevator slowing down.

One thing I was wondering about is why they always kept Bill's chest device hidden behind clothes. It made it seem like she didn't care enough about what was done to her to even take a look at it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing I never got is how blocking emotions stops people/cybermen 'caring' about pain.

Pain is not an emotion. Pain is pain and even without emotions it's easily powerful enough to shut down a body. No matter your state of mind, if you're in enough pain you simply cannot move your body properly or will faint.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet, but what about the "Doctor Who" thing. When Missy was like "I'm Doctor Who" she was just being Missy.

But when the Doctor had to intervene and he acknowledged "I am Doctor Who", at least one of my eyebrows went up. How do you folks interpret that line?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I assumed that since we see her human eye and human face, that she hasn't been wholly converted as we understand it. Maybe this is an early prototype version of that and it's reversible.

I believe Mondasian Cybermen always were human inside their suits? There's just enough robotics in their bodies to make them emotionless and stronger. As opposed to the Cybermen from the new series where they just put human brains inside robots.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

I imagine that any ship that was close enough to have that amount of time dilation across decks would be torn apart by tidal forces in under a second, but:

1. The ship has a Structural Inertia Field that holds it together against acceleration
2. The blackhole is made of quark matter and is emitting non-polarized gravitinos
3. Doctor Who isn't a hard science fiction show

I think that they did a good job at taking a basic scientific concept and turning it into a story idea, even if the math and engineering didn't quite work out.

The black hole scenario in the movie Interstellar had a Kip Thorne, a physicist from CalTech go over it and decide it actually could work, but even then they had to use a lot of spherical cows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)#Wormholes_and_black_holes

The real cool thing about Interstellar was that the CGI was so realistic, using real physics equations, that physicists could use it to spot new feature in black holes that were always there in the maths but were hard to notice until the maths were applied in visual form.

Interstellar's special effects caused physicists to write new research papers about black hole physics.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was a great Londo Mollari impersonation by Simm.

Also that were some good bits of older doctors by Capaldi. And that teaser at the end. Holy crap I did not expect that.

Also the scene where Capaldi talked to the two masters. That was some fantastic acting.

This show truly hit its stride again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand WHY the Doctor doesn't want to regenerate, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What surprised me is that in very recent interviews, such as in that latest fan show, Moffat admitted that last week saturday, they weren't even done filming yesterday's episode.

Is Doctor Who filming always this hectic and chaotic?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Finally caught up. It was a good season!

Honestly, I think the title for this thread was part of why I put off watching it... I figured if "It speaks emoji!" was the only line worth keeping as the title for the entire season, that there must not have been anything good going on.

Turns out it's just a terrible thread title.

Please don't ever take goons this seriously again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt he will regenerate until the end of the Christmas special anyway. He'll spend a few minutes talking to the first doctor about regenerating and maybe they will go on an adventure together. If not, they will split up, and Doctor Who will have one last adventure before regenerating at the end of the episode. Then we'll see Ed Sheeran bounce around the set or whatever excited to go on his new adventures. Maybe pick up the new companion.

Do we have some Galway girl available to play the next companion?

• Locked thread