Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

That makes me wonder why BF hasn't gotten TBakes to do some "Great Curator" audios of the 28th Doctor or whatever...

More important...how did everyone not pick the same lottery numbers? :aaaaa:
Real answer? They weren't picking them synchronized. The two subroutines, we'll call them, making calls to the random number number generator would have to make them in the same instant for them to match, as we saw in the episode.

A random number generator my buddy wrote, specifically because numbers in computers can't actually be random, made calls to a weather database in Sweden or some such other poo poo in the given moment of the number request. Something random-adjacent, given it took millions of things into account and not just "what's the temperature in Sweden." Then it would do its thing. So a number picked from one moment to the next would be considerably more random than any of a dozen things whose programming DNA doesn't change much from your bog-standard Qbasic randomizer.

It was actually pretty cool seeing Doctor Who explain a thing, sort of, that a professional developer friend explained to me years ago that I tucked away, like, "I wonder if this will ever be interesting in conversation."

Sadly, the answer was then, and remains, "pretty much only to me."

But if two people played the lotto at the exact same moment, down to the instant, they would come up with the same numbers. But even a hundredth of a second's difference would lead the two to entirely different answers, hence why Bill and Nardole were cued, and then dramatic license took effect to account for the small differences.

I'm LividLiquid, and I will now drink Evan Williams and ponder my choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I can't understand a word you're saying.

Yes.

Right.

Yes.

With you.

Oh.

Ah.

Right.
Dear god, I think I just worried the neighbors with my cackling. It helps that I have been part of an exchange exactly like this with you years ago in some other thread when we were talking about White Hole.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

A white hole?
I believe we've experienced this moment before.

Also, chalk me up for one of the people super annoyed by the two major spoilers in the preview for this ep. Usually when they do this, it only ruins a first-act twist that then becomes the plot of the episode, but entirely spoiling the entire end of the episode is just... tacky.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I danced around my living room like a five-year-old at end, there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I realize a lot of you are iffy on last year, but with some rare hiccups, I've really liked Moffat's whole run, (with the notable exception of Smith's last series which is completely a wash since Day of the Doctor was so amazing) and this year might be his best since his first.

I haven't given a single poo poo about the cybermen ever until these last two episodes, and now I find the Mondasian brand genuinely terrifying.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"I don't want to go" makes sense for Tennant, but Capaldi's Doctor never echoed anything close to that sentiment and using it here feels like a really cheap and unearned way to set up an uninspired and trite Christmas Carol rip-off special (again).
Did you get that every line in scene was him saying something another Doctor said during or after their regeneration?

He even did both of ten's. Not just the last one. It was 4, 10, 11, 10, and 2, I believe.

"Sontarans are (something) in Human History!"

"I don't want to go."

"I'll always remember... when the doctor was me."

"It's started. I'm regenerating."

And then two's is just yelling "No!" some.

And if this is going where it seems like it obviously is, where one and twelve are going to help each other come to terms with regenerating for the first and latest times, this is some holy ground I really don't mind Moffat playing around in.

And we've had years to get used to this actor as Hartnell to boot. This is loving inspired.

Please, please don't blow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Oh, jeez, Moffat, now that's an Easter Egg.

William (Bill) Hartnell's wife was called Heather.
This is super great.

2house2fly posted:

Omg Bill said "I don't want to live if I can't be me". Very good, Moffat
Oh, man. Another one.

• Locked thread