Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm quite excited for the new series as I love the poo poo out of Peter Capaldi and everything he does.

This news, though? Not quite as exciting for us Aussies:

ABC 2 posted:

Rove McManus: The Next Doctor? No… the next big Whovian!

Friday, March 24, 2017 — Sunday nights are about to get a whole lot more galactic as Rove McManus and his team of superfans present a brand new half hour panel show to dissect, delve into and delight in the world of Doctor Who. Airing straight after the weekly premiere of the much anticipated Doctor Who series 10 on ABC, Whovians will be filmed in front of a live studio audience, and air on Sundays at 8.30pm on ABC2 and iview.

As well as unpacking the most recent episode, Rove and the team will open the doors of the TARDIS and go back through the annals of time to lovingly analyze, critique, and unravel the mysteries of this much loved globally renowned series.

Rove is a long time Doctor Who enthusiast and will be joined by other self-confessed Doctor Who superfans, Tegan Higginbotham, Adam Richard and Steven ‘Bajo’ O’Donnell, as well as a roster of celebrity guests.

This is a show by Whovians but one that won’t exclude the rest of humanity.

“I’ve been a fan of Doctor Who for as long as I can remember so you can imagine how pleased I am to be hosting a show about it. Whether it be the classic era that dates back over fifty years or the modern series that has created its own decade-long legacy, it’ll be nice to have the opportunity to talk about my favourite TV show with like-minded individuals and be paid to completely geek out. You might say I’m so excited that I too feel like I have two hearts beating in my chest - and yes, it’s references like that which prove I’m the right guy for the job," said Rove McManus.

Brian Minchin, Executive Producer of Doctor Who adds “Whovians will be the perfect companion piece for the thrilling new series of Doctor Who on ABC. It’s fantastic to have this exciting new program to delight Australian fans.”

Rebecca Heap, ABC Head of Programming and Digital, said: “As the home of Doctor Who in Australia we are thrilled to offer our audiences another way to engage with the popular program, as well as welcoming Rove back to our screens.”

So get ready to get on board. #WhoviansAU

Whovians is an ABC production. It will be filmed in front of a live studio audience and broadcast as live on Sundays at 8.30pm on ABC2 from Sunday April 16.

Essentially it's Talking Dead for Who nerds but with a live audience and possibly terrible guests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Box of Bunnies posted:

Ditch Rove and Bajo, get Jordan from Axis of Awesome back as a regular. Just her, Tegan, and Adam with whatever weekly guest would be brilliant.

Bajo rules, way better than having Stephen Bloody Conroy on there

Bicyclops posted:

"Never have I had time for the luxury of outrage."

*David Tennant barrels out of his TARDIS behind him, yelling*

That's one of the good things about that Whovians show, they showed the Doctor saying that and then immediately a montage of the Doctor being outraged, including 12 just bashing up the TARDIS console.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There may have been production restrictions but some of that came off really poorly in the latest episode. Why waste spacewalking time on two characters we don't know at the start, and then tell not show the Doctor saving Bill by sacrificing his own health?

Also that photo of Bill's Mum floating over her as she "died" was pretty cringeworthy. My wife spent the rest of the night puzzling how Bill survived, so it certainly wasn't explained very well.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Speaking of leaving a familiar face in the TARDIS when a new doctor comes along, whose to say that Bill being gay doesn't lead to a possible romance angle with the new Doctor? :getin:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The problem with the "series of little mistakes" leading to doom was that they were all loving stupid

Who holds a door open with their handbag? How did that guy not trip over the loving handbag that was in his doorway? Who gets so blind drunk that they actually have loving vision problems the next day and not go to a hospital?!?

The lab itself was bloody stupid because blind people being unable to work in a lab aside, when working with chemicals poo poo splashing in your eyes is a real threat - I didn't see any eye wash stations in there so the combo lock should have been able to be operated by someone who was temporarily blind.

In the episode's one defence Erica could have opened the door for the Doctor but "it was in lockdown". But then the Doctor had an active phone call with Bill, which he could have done a loving video call to get Bill to tell him what to do! ARGH.

Anyway, they interviewed Moffat on Whovians and he came off as quite a lovely chap. I also had a bit of a fist pump moment when the doctor figured out the cameras.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also it looked like there was absolutely nothing else in the bag otherwise it would have protected the glasses

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What was the behind the scenes drama with Smith? I thought he left early to crack Hollywood?

And thank God Gatiss won't be showrunner. He can take his stupid gurning face out of all shows forever please.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Since when can the Doctor fake regenerating? I know he can call it "on demand" a bit, but that seemed to be a lot more.

A theory raised on Whovians was that due to Missy having defeated the monks before that they're actually working for her - to get her out of the vault, to take over the earth, to get the Doctor to kill Bill, or maybe all of the above. IT could have potential, but the monks characterisation so far has been so threadbare that if and when they return in the finale I doubt it'll land like the writers want it to.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It felt like two episodes stretched into three for me. And I wish that Bill having that imaginary version of her Mum around would've been better if we'd had more hints at it during the season.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Did anyone catch the line about Bill saying the giant fish was in Paris? Where did that come from?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah but it was in the Thames, she corrected herself and the Doctor said something about that being a code to see if he was tricking her, but...

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It also made a good fakeout for the whole series teaser.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Can someone explain to me the difference between Mondasian Cybermen and... Cybermen? I understand they're distinctly different in canon but why? Did they cybes just get rebooted at some point?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks! I agree the newer ones look a lot more sleek and streamlined and less horrifying.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Thanks to the Lie of the Land it's become impossible to give a poo poo about teased regeneration scenes so the start of the episode fell completely flat.

Start of the episode he's regenerating in the snow and in the next week trailer some regeneration energy comes out when he's on grass, we could have at least TWO more fakeouts! :eyepop:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

m... maybe all the fakeouts are so we'll think this is finally it in the Xmas Special and then he fakes out again and stays on as the Doctor for another 15 years? :shobon:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe the twist is that he is coming back next season! The Doctor isn't regenerating, he's just . . . leaky.

If only :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That episode was great!

My only gripe was with the stakes at the end and with Missy - if the Doctor was just going to nuke the whole floor what help could Missy have provided?

• Locked thread