Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

(links to pax unplugged website)

quote:

PAX Unplugged will be an exciting analog-focused extension of our already existing portfolio of PAX events. We've found that the Tabletop parts of PAX have grown and grown to the point where we said, "You know what? Let's make a show that's just that."

Where: Philadelphia, PA
Pennsylvania Convention Center in Center City Philadelphia

When: November 17th - November 19th (the weekend before Thanksgiving)

Price:
$60 for a 3-day pass
$25 for a 1-day pass

Link for hotels from the website: https://compass.onpeak.com/e/012604347/0#hotels

:siren: How do I hang out with Goons?!?! :siren:
Join groupme: https://app.groupme.com/join_group/33309759/qHSJ5d

but why can't we use [other chat app]
because groupme supports SMS which can be important if people don't have service reliably at the convention

I've seen a lot of people discussing this in a few different places and starting to think about housing. I figured a thread to centralize discussion would be good, especially if people are interested in sharing rooms or some such. I've had great experiences with meeting random goons at GenCon, and hopefully my Pennsylvania brethren can ruin that for me.

There's also the ever important discussions about where to eat and get drunk that hopefully Philly natives will chime in on.

Other topics:
Getting to the convention without driving (regional rail)
Driving to the convention, god help you (I know nothing about parking around there actually)
Organizing goon games of exploding kittens and fluxx 24/7 at the con (I'll probably just make a groupme or something)

Anyway let me know if I should add to/fix anything in the OP.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

If this turns out to be anything like goon GenCon, it should be amazing. Count me in!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am excited and definitely going. I assume Philly has Uber so I take can take the train down from Boston.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Driving isn't so bad actually, it's right next to Chinatown which has several decently priced parking lots. Regional rail is great since you can get off at Market East station which is also right next to the convention center. I might just drive in myself each day since I'm only about 40 minutes away in KoP, though I wouldn't be averse to a room if people are doing that.

Food wise, the aforementioned Chinatown is great of course, and there's also the excellent and close by Reading Terminal Market, which has basically everything.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I am excited and definitely going. I assume Philly has Uber so I take can take the train down from Boston.

Oh dang, I'm moving to Boston in July, I might do something similar!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah the convention center is next to a ton of good food so have fun with that. I live in Philly proper so I might try to sneak over for some Magic: the Gathering depending on how much of a thing it is there.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh dang, I'm moving to Boston in July, I might do something similar!

Slightly off topic but there is a pretty cool board game group here and I occasionally host goons for board games so definitely let me know when you move out here if you wanna play some games!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I live in Philly proper (west philly specifically) and lived in Center City, where the convention center is, for 3 years if anyone has questions about the area.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Slightly off topic but there is a pretty cool board game group here and I occasionally host goons for board games so definitely let me know when you move out here if you wanna play some games!

Mos def! I'm​ moving with my partner because she's going to BUMC, and I will know... 5 people in Boston, other than her. Literally. Haha!

On topic of PAX stuff, is it game designers from all over the world, or primarily America? I haven't read anything on the website so forgive me if this is an early searchable question.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Mos def! I'm​ moving with my partner because she's going to BUMC, and I will know... 5 people in Boston, other than her. Literally. Haha!

On topic of PAX stuff, is it game designers from all over the world, or primarily America? I haven't read anything on the website so forgive me if this is an early searchable question.

Considering Essen Spiel is just a few weeks before that, I doubt you'll see many companies from outside the US/Canada

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'd definitely go to this if I wasn't looking at $800 for a hotel.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

I'm cruisin airbnb gently caress those hotel prices.

IsotopeOrange
Jan 28, 2003

My wife and I are hoping to attend. We live on the South Jersey side of the city. We love playing two player board games together, mostly meeple worker placement games, and are excited to see what PAX Unplugged has to offer.

For anyone looking for additional sleeping options, it is very easy to find something reasonable in NJ along the PATCO line and would probably only be a 10-20 minute ride.

EDIT: The greater Philly area has both Uber and Lyft

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

taser rates posted:

Driving isn't so bad actually, it's right next to Chinatown which has several decently priced parking lots. Regional rail is great since you can get off at Market East station which is also right next to the convention center. I might just drive in myself each day since I'm only about 40 minutes away in KoP, though I wouldn't be averse to a room if people are doing that.

Food wise, the aforementioned Chinatown is great of course, and there's also the excellent and close by Reading Terminal Market, which has basically everything.

Sup KOP buddy :hfive:

My wife and I are going to this (probably taking the train in) and she's super pumped. She loves board games and we both started playing D&D together so this ought to have something for both of us. If nothing else, it will give us ideas for our game nights.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

IsotopeOrange posted:

My wife and I are hoping to attend. We live on the South Jersey side of the city. We love playing two player board games together, mostly meeple worker placement games, and are excited to see what PAX Unplugged has to offer.

For anyone looking for additional sleeping options, it is very easy to find something reasonable in NJ along the PATCO line and would probably only be a 10-20 minute ride.

EDIT: The greater Philly area has both Uber and Lyft

This dude's got it right! I also live in South Jersey and use the PATCO line to commute, right past the event space. A benefit of the Philly Convention Center's location is that it is essentially on top of the Reading Terminal Market, which is aces for food. I wanna play some Scythe.

Also, winners don't do drugs and they don't use Uber. :colbert:

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Bogart posted:

Also, winners don't do drugs and they don't use Uber. :colbert:

If you want to kick it old school, the Philadelphia taxi company number is 215-333-3333. It's pretty easy to remember since 215 is the Philly area code in general.

Zweihander01 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Toshimo posted:

Look for hotels on Columbus Blvd., it's a short taxi or bus ride into center city from there, and the hotels are way more reasonably priced. Center city is mega expensive for everything.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Oh snap, I had totally forgotten this was a thing, very pumped now. I also live in Philly and can answer questions people might have about local transit and such.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The thing with using the NJ-side hotels and PATCO is you'll need a car; there aren't any hotels in walking distance of any NJ station I can think of, and uber/taxis are much less of a thing in south Jersey. If you will have a car, there are lots of hotels in the Mount Laurel area which is like a 5-minute drive to PATCO's Woodcrest station off I-295. PATCO runs 24/7 unlike the PA-side Regional Rail service. Although in the middle of the night it may be like 40 minutes between trains.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Crown Plaza is about a mile away from Collingswood / Westmont's PATCO hooks. It's just enough of a walk that you'd want a bike if nothing else, but it's doable.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I live far closer to Philadelphia than Indianapolis these days, so it seems like a no-brainer to check out the inaugural voyage of the Good Analog Ship PAX if I am going to continually go to Gen-Con at every opportunity.

Granted if this is anything like the times I tried to go to PAX when living in Seattle or PAX East while living here in Massachusetts, I will not actually be able to get tickets and I will angrily swear off ever attending, but I CAN DREAM

Thanks for giving the Gen-Con GroupMe the heads up that this thread existed, so I can get hyped for a second irresponsible thing!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I live far closer to Philadelphia than Indianapolis these days, so it seems like a no-brainer to check out the inaugural voyage of the Good Analog Ship PAX if I am going to continually go to Gen-Con at every opportunity.

Granted if this is anything like the times I tried to go to PAX when living in Seattle or PAX East while living here in Massachusetts, I will not actually be able to get tickets and I will angrily swear off ever attending, but I CAN DREAM

Thanks for giving the Gen-Con GroupMe the heads up that this thread existed, so I can get hyped for a second irresponsible thing!

Tickets haven't gone on sale for this one yet, so you may have a shot! A couple of other goons are going to be riding the train down from Boston so you may be able to coordinate with them on a room/TrainCon. Also there's been surprisingly little press about this event since they announced the day/prices for ticket sales so it may not be on the radar of most.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
TRAINCON

It would be interesting if they were intentionally doing like a SOFT LAUNCH of sorts so that only the most ridiculously hardcore nerds showed up. Though the Penny Arcade dudes are not exactly bad at self-promotion, so it is also possible they are going to do some huge OH YEAH GO TO THIS THING blitz out of nowhere and help thwart my ability to ever go to one of their stupid conventions, stupid stupid :stupid: :perfect:

Edit: Ugh I have a hotel reserved already now. Apparently I am all-in already even BEFORE I KNOW IF I CAN GO

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 19, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

REGISTRATION OPENS TOMORROW!!!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Edit: Ugh I have a hotel reserved already now. Apparently I am all-in already even BEFORE I KNOW IF I CAN GO

Hell yes

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Oh hey I got an email reminding me with more info, the tickets go on sale at 3pm eastern time

E: vvv 3pm eastern tomorrow (may 3rd) vvv

Fellis fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 2, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
OH DANG I AM SO EXCITED THAT I MISREAD YOUR POST AND THOUGHT IT WAS ALREADY OPEN AND NOW I AM SAD BUT ONLY FOR 23 HOURS

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
5 hrs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh sweet gaming only an hour left

Edit: !!!

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 3, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

5 minutes till badge time and I'm not exactly sure where we register!

Here's a big clickable link to the pax unplugged website! Maybe it's there!!

Fellis posted:

(links to pax unplugged website)

e: there really hasn't been any followup advertising for this con so still not sure how fast it's gonna sell out. Everyone I know in PA and all their friends must know by now at least

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
IT IS GOING TO SELL OUT IN 2 MINUTES BUT I WILL BE READY TO BE FINISHED IN 1 MINUTE

Edit: Seeing only 500 people FAVORITED their TWEET about tickets going on sale today, I do not actually think they will sell out in 2 minutes. Possibly at all. Going back to my theory/hope that this is intentionally low-key to see how it goes with minimal promotion.

Edit: THREE O'CLOCK AND NOTHING I AM OUTRAGED

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011
I too will be in attendance. It's cool to see there's decent sized tabletop goon presence in the philly area. Def wouldn't mind meeting up with any of you at the event. I run a board game group (previously a DnD / Shadowrun / rpg group) with my friends in south philly and it would be nice to meet some new people.

Oh poo poo, it's 3pm lets do this.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

BAWH GAWD WHERE IS MY REGISTRATION ITS 3PM

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.showclix.com/event/pax-unplugged-2017/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am so confused by this new webpage

Granted I guess it is good to be prepared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4vxxrRqFj8

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

christ $35 for special 3d6 lmao

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011
I have officially virtually queued... I think.

fake edit: I have purchased my badges. Good times.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol they can gently caress off with those dice.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I didn't get any of the stupid overpriced merch, here's hoping it doesn't sell to weirdo completionist PAX nerds for 5x a few years down the line

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll be there for sure at least :toot: now to look at where to stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I DID IT I GET TO GO TO A PAX OMG

It only took five years from the first time I tried to get tickets.

Also agreed with "just kek" at those dice. But, unfortunately Fellis, they 100% will sell for a huge mark-up in the future assuming PAX Unplugged takes off, which I suspect it will. I mean, was there any merchandise for the first PAX? If so, how much would it sell for now? This being a new type of convention for them entirely it might be nearly as ridiculous.

(Still did not buy any of it though; I do not have time for "waiting until things appreciate" anymore. At least not since I held on until a half-dozen boxes of Pokémon cereal almost long enough for them to become collector's items and my parents ended up throwing them out :()

• Locked thread