Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Because it will be sold out then or...? I thought the buzz was any retailer that backed it at the retailer level should have it then?

edit for top of page: Gloomhaven availability talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
iirc Isaac had said retailer copies will be after production of the Kickstarter backer copies, and the first US shipment won’t be in the US until November at least

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ilor posted:

That's weird, because I've generally had a pretty good time at Origins. It's no GenCon, but there's usually plenty of interesting stuff going on there.

But I don't give a gently caress about auctions, so YMMV. ;)
Gasp

You monster

Everyone knows auctions are the bedrock on which this hobby is formed

Actually I was pretty intrigued to learn the secret history of the Gen-Con Auction (and seemingly therefore all gaming convention auctions in some sense) dating all the way back to Gen-Con II. Wait did I already post this? Ugh I spend so much of my life talking about auctions

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wait, wait, wait, when I click on that link to PAXUP and start clicking around the events (none of which interest me, BTW), I see that I have the ability to "preregister" for events, and that doing so costs money. Does...does that sound like event tickets to anyone else? :ohdear:

Maybe these jerks are starting to figure it out. But it makes me wonder how that's going to play with the lines.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had no idea what you were talking about, but then I realized you must mean the Cascade Games page, and yeah, look at that, tickets for sale for specific time slots... HMMMMMMM

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Ilor posted:

Wait, wait, wait, when I click on that link to PAXUP and start clicking around the events (none of which interest me, BTW), I see that I have the ability to "preregister" for events, and that doing so costs money. Does...does that sound like event tickets to anyone else? :ohdear:

Yeah, that's some bullshit and I'm going to pass it along to Penny Arcade if they aren't already aware. I'm also not sure why they're announcing their schedule before PA has finalized the schedule...

EDIT: I'm not sure what PA's policy towards draft tournaments is, so that might be legit. But charging $40 for an L5R swiss is some hot garbage.

Lost_Heretic fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 11, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know this is all seat of your pants, but serious loving lol if that wasn’t all cleared with PAX ahead of time. I’m almost positive they know about all that going on. Iirc there are prizes involved? If so then yeah they will definitely charge for the buy in

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kashuno posted:

I know this is all seat of your pants, but serious loving lol if that wasn’t all cleared with PAX ahead of time. I’m almost positive they know about all that going on. Iirc there are prizes involved? If so then yeah they will definitely charge for the buy in

Yeah FYI that L5R event is for two qualifying tournaments for the Winter event, you're gonna pay for that.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

head58 posted:

A friend who is an "Enforcer" (Kat a volunteer, with a dumb dumb title that I'm sure never goes to anyone's head) says the schedule is available to them and will be released Soon.

FWIW, "Enforcer" is a deliberately overblown title that was designed to make fun of the rear end in a top hat staff at conventions like Comic-Con, and Enforcer culture is, by all accounts I've heard and experienced, incredibly positive. I've been to a lot of cons, and never encountered staff who were anywhere near as approachable, helpful, and enthusiastic as Enforcers - I'm sure there's intra-organization drama, but to attendees they are solid gold. Hopefully it carries over to the new ones they're recruiting for Unplugged, because it's not an exaggeration to say that Enforcers at other PAXes are vital to the success and the culture of those events.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Kashuno posted:

This is the answer I got from a Tabletop enforcer. I don't think they'll mind if I repost it.

"It's legit. Cascade Games has been running this operation for at least 3 or 4 years at all of the PAXes, but mostly for Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon TCG. Their events are competitive and paid, and most involve sealed product such as Magic drafts.

The other events you are seeing are major Fantasy Flight Organized Play events: Star Wars Destiny, Star Wars X-Wing, and L5R LCG. Every one of these events has you walking away with convention-exclusive swag for the games, and trust me, fans of these systems are very much used to having to pay a premium to register at their local game store when one of these swag-laden events is being held.

On the topic of the L5R Grand Kotei and X-Wing System Open, which are the most expensive events by far with a $40 registration, these are landmark competitive events, where the winner gets a paid trip to the world championships (and the swag for everyone else is extra sweet). FFG only holds these events 3-5 times in a year, spread out around the entire world."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Keep an eye out; the PAXUP schedule should be released today.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Keep an eye out; the PAXUP schedule should be released today.

It's been released: http://unplugged.paxsite.com/schedule

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There is no way that's the complete schedule. Also lol at what is going to happen to all the dnd they have listed if our kickstarter doesnt fund!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Ignacy Trzewiczek, designer of Robinson Crusoe and Imperial Settlers discusses the importance of play testing and shares some of his key techniques:

:allears:

nesbit37 posted:

There is no way that's the complete schedule. Also lol at what is going to happen to all the dnd they have listed if our kickstarter doesnt fund

It seems like a full schedule to me?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Eh, I'll probably just hole up in the Dominion tournament and refuse to leave. The game is getting yet another expansion soon, and I hope it is out in time.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The reason I say it isn't a full schedule is because 1) the Unpub event isn't listed which tells me there are probably other events happening that aren't on the schedule and 2) they have listed pretty much all (but not all) of the D&D 5e we are scheduled to run. I can't believe 5e is the only game doing such a thing, so where are the other games? No Pathfinder Society? Starfinder? CooC? World of Darkness, etc.? I mean, its fine if those aren't on there because they aren't headliners but then why is the D&D stuff all there?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well the UnPub probably won’t be listed as it’s off in a room so it’ll just be like “the alpha room” and there’s SOME WoD stuff (vamp 5e and Camarilla LARP)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Right, but then the D&D stuff is going to just be off in a room so why is it there? I guess thats whats baffling me, especially going down and seeing stuff like "Model Basing Basics" which makes me think this is supposed to be an all inclusive schedule.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
ROLEPLAY TOURNAMENTS

https://youtu.be/V2XGp5ix8HE

Also lol that the Food Chain Magnate "tournament" is a single game with 5 players. I guess they couldn't find more than one copy of the game?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This reveal has been everything I hoped it would be.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I love how I can search the schedule by type of event, say miniatures or seminars. Oh wait, I can't but I can enjoy a word cloud of all the other events I'll be missing by attending this one. It's like they tried really hard to trigger analysis paralysis and FOMO.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So like, the thing with PAX is that their lovely scheduling, the lines, the inability to sort by type of event, that’s all typical for video game conventions. In the grand scheme of things videogame cons are new while board games have things like gencon that have been running forever that people look at as gold standards of how to do things and it’s kinda what board gamers expect from cons. PAX is still trying to do their weird clsuterfuck of a mess thing in a scene that has pretty established ways to do things and it doesn’t look great

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What I don't get is why they are doing things this way (besides its how they've done them in the past). As you mentioned, its not like they didn't have a plethora of other cons to look at for examples of this.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So how many warhammer gonna are going? I don't know whether I want to finish my army for this event or not.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
I don't have much game experience, so it'll probably just be me and my partner wandering around the freeplay tables. Some of those events/drafts are really expensive. I'll bring boxes of miniatures and meet up/play with whoever is down.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nesbit37 posted:

What I don't get is why they are doing things this way (besides its how they've done them in the past). As you mentioned, its not like they didn't have a plethora of other cons to look at for examples of this.

Because gosh dangit they are the BIG BOIS in town (PAX gets more attendees than Gencon, etc) and they want to do it their way. It was funny even in their AMA they were like "yeah we wanna do it the PAX way and you're probably right it'll be a problem in the future but whatever"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hahaha, I still contend that this has "poo poo show" written all over it. I mean, maybe if the lines are short it won't be too bad, but that schedule does not inspire confidence. Do we know already what attendance is looking like?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
[quote="“Ilor”" post="“477354901”"]
Do we know already what attendance is looking like?
[/quote]

Everyone I know IRL who games around here is going so at least one

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ilor posted:

Hahaha, I still contend that this has "poo poo show" written all over it. I mean, maybe if the lines are short it won't be too bad, but that schedule does not inspire confidence. Do we know already what attendance is looking like?
This is all so utterly amazing in every way

Fellis posted:

Everyone I know IRL who games around here is going so at least one
hahahaha :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Alright, the D&D PAX kickstarter funded this morning, so at least that part won't be a total poo poo show. Hooray?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:dance:

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016
In addition to the Adventure League kickstarter successfully funding (whew), I'm working to get some more non-Vampire, non-D&D games prescheduled in the RPG department. If nothing else I'll be running a Dark Ages Mage game Saturday night. :D

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The thing about the board game community is the even if PAX doesn't set up the con to be a success, everyone will work to make it be one so it'll be great.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Kashuno posted:

The thing about the board game community is the even if PAX doesn't set up the con to be a success, everyone will work to make it be one so it'll be great.

All I am worried about in this regard is attendance numbers, since Reed Pop probably isn't going to care if people actually enjoy it or not just if they actually paid to show up. If this con wasn't in Philly I guess I wouldn't care as much, but I really want a big tabletop con to become a staple in this city.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So now there is a tournament specific schedule up?

http://unplugged.paxsite.com/schedule?selall-83=on&sfl=117

I am confused by their scheduling since it isn't very good for searching and it also looks like there are tournaments in the other schedule. Are these the same tournaments just pulled out or are they additional?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

nesbit37 posted:

So now there is a tournament specific schedule up?

http://unplugged.paxsite.com/schedule?selall-83=on&sfl=117

I am confused by their scheduling since it isn't very good for searching and it also looks like there are tournaments in the other schedule. Are these the same tournaments just pulled out or are they additional?

That is the same as the other one. If you look you at the top you can see that it is just a tabletop tourney filter applied to the full list.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Apparently there was an AMA about Unplugged. Here is the link for those wishing to peruse:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/75ygyk/ama_with_penny_arcade/

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Apparently there was an AMA about Unplugged. Here is the link for those wishing to peruse:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/75ygyk/ama_with_penny_arcade/

I just skimmed this and there aren't that many interesting questions, mostly about them and their DnD campaign. I'm not really a fan of penny arcade or their ip so hopefully that doesn't impact my con experience too much.

There was a worrying question about their boardgame library being too small for a tabletop focused convention. I wonder how they plan on running it. I think at gencon it was computerized and they scanned your badge barcode to check in/out.

Also it sounds like they won't have any sort of flea market/auction, so maybe I'll just make a sandwich board sign to wear that says "ask me about my games for sale"

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Fellis posted:

I wonder how they plan on running it. I think at gencon it was computerized and they scanned your badge barcode to check in/out.

That's how it's worked at other PAXes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The interesting things I gained through reading that are:

They want it to stay in Philly permanantely

It will not be the same weekend next year (though it wasn't clear when it would be then)

The small board game library

Apparently 1/3 of the hall is dedicated to open gaming (that seems like too much if its concentrated in one place but we'll see, glad it exists at least)

That they didn't go with tickets because they didn't want to deal with it and that lines are apparently egalitarian (I don't agree with that last part at all, but whatever)

• Locked thread