Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Grimace Howlington III volunteers. Especially if I get that M60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That was a great set of effort posts on the system so far. I can't wait to see the combat system. I get the feeling based on what we've seen so far that I could probably actually assemble, load and fire a real 1911 faster than I'll be understand how to fire one in game. :v:

Happy to start as our statistically best merc. It'll make it more impactful when everybody else reminisces about that time ol' Grimmy got his legs blown off by a land mine without having actually seen combat.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rounding down for something like dropoff seems most logical anyway. If you have rules for 3 range and 5 range but nothing for 4, you'd presumably start at 3 range stuff and any rounding goes down.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, I figured old man elitist with connections in THE ORIENT was a shoe-in, but as retarded as it is I can't help but vote for Kurt Russell (option 3).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We have American troops, and our funding is the highest level we were given an option for. I voted Kurt Russell because I can't pass up that chance, but Toff really is the logical choice.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

simplefish posted:

I'm Secretly Pleased

I voted Toff because I thought people were playing this a bit more seriously (choosing the Americans, voting for the biggest budget) but if the majority are on board with Snake, then dammit I am too

I voted Americans and the biggest budget and I still voted for Kurt Russel. I usually vote tryhard, but amusement trumps everything. It leads to me supporting crazy plans and surprise commanders. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Exactly, between this and the COMANO game I usually go serious let try and win, but il still down for some fun and zaniness in between. Besides lookling at the glorious history of mercenaries they tended to attract some interesting charaters. One of the most famous Itallian Condotorri of the Renaissance was an English dude who schleped his way across north Italy and wound up becoming the Duke of a city state.

Was he A#1 Duke of New York?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I agree that overwatch team seems a little heavy on personnel when we could use some extra bodies in the base. That said, is that a road or a wall around the perimeter? It looks like a road, but I don't want to assume.

I take it none of our guys are able to use the sniper rifle we have for even a bit of fire support, or the M60 either? Or do they just take a penalty for being unqualified?

We should probably have two guys stay on the ridge (ideally a sniper if we can have someone use the rifle), then 4 guys from A team move in from the north west while B team strikes in force from the east to clear buildings. I assume there's no reason to worry about collateral damage, so we might as well bring all the grenades and stuff we can.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do our guys have binoculars and/or radios? Is overwatch team able to provide us spotting information on targets they can see from their position?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't suppose there's a Walmart here in India? Having an overwatch team seems pretty pointless if they can't even communicate with the strike team.

We're all going to die to friendly fire. :tinfoil:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Suddenly I would feel more comfortable with that commander that knew squad tactics from the 1800s, since that's apparently where we're from. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, an air radar station is bound to have at least one pair of binocs on hand. Maybe we can swipe theirs. Radios less so, though having some that were tuned for the Chinese comms might be useful since we have a guy who claims to speak Mandarin, plus our captured operator.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^
B-Team should definitely bring grenades since we're clearing a bunch of buildings.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

So the plan is stealth in, steal some binocs and radios, stealth out, sneak over to the overwatch team, equip them, sneak back to the base, and start the actual mission?

Yeah, cool.

I assume it's the middle of nowhere so you can't use a couple of burner phones, but I do think spending a few quid on cheap radios might be a plan.

Yeah, you'd think on our million dollar budget we could have at least splurged for some $15 Bushnell's and a few sets of walkie talkies to get us started. It's not encrypted communication and high grade laser rangefinder night vision binoculars, but it's stuff a literal child would have access to.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 14, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We could always steal their poo poo just to have on hand at base as backup weapons. They'll sit in a corner somewhere, it's not like we'd be lugging a tank around behind us. A few spares could come in handy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Popete posted:

If less that 5 goons die in this missions vs C tier guard I'll call it a success.

Also entrusting me with an m60 on the ridge totally won't result in friendly fire.

Yeah, I think our strike teams are going to end up with shotgun blasts to the chest as soon as we walk through the door. At least as Green Team Leader, I won't be point man (I assume).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think if I heard explosions from literally every rooms in the building these guys were going through, and I didn't have grenades of my own, I'd probably just surrender and hope to get prisoner exchanged (or left behind after they destroyed the radar equipment). At least in a rear echelon post like this where I'm just a desk jockey and I have a pistol and like 1-2 mags of ammo. Plus the guys inside have no way of knowing how poorly equipped we are.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LatwPIAT posted:

Eh, room clearing with grenades is a "no hard feelings"-thing. It doesn't say we won't give quarter, it says we're competent and really interested in not dying.

This. If guys were breaking into my military outpost in a combat zone, and they were room clearing with grenades, I wouldn't assume that they were murderous blodothirsty savages that take no prisoners. I'd assume they valued their safety above all and would be far more ameiable to surrender talks than most because it would keep them from having to room clear in the first place.

That said, if we do parley, we force them to walk outside where the overwatch team can see them, we do not take their surrenders face to face or walk into a room where they "totally surrender guys, we swear."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LatwPIAT posted:

"Toss out your weapons, then come out one by one with your hands in the air!" before we tie their hands behind their backs and blindfold them (with torn-up uniforms) is pretty standard procedure for this kind of thing, but it does raise one question...

...do any of us speak Chinese?

We have a Commander that does! If we had a loud speaker, we could periodically (every few rooms) shout for them to throw away their weapons and walk outside with their hands up in Chinese. We could look that up online before we left so we'd have it. We could just stop and shout it as it is now. Couldn't hurt? Man, I'd feel better if we had even some dime store radios so we could communicate with our overwatch team. Watching is so useless when you can't tell anybody.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Actually, we can do this super-old timey until we find a Radio Shack. Can we set up pre-defined signals between the overwatch team and the strike teams? You know, shoot-> pause -> shoot shoot would mean they've surrendered or something? Wouldn't convey a TON of information, but at least we could get signals for pre-defined events.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

chitoryu12 posted:

We could also use mirrors reflecting light, flashlights, or laser pointers to do Morse code signals.

Well, my problem with this is we'd have to be able to see outside too, where as we could hear gunshots inside the building. Otherwise we could just use signal flares or something even where it's just one thing to let us know "hey, they surrendered."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

chitoryu12 posted:

Maybe we could hold a vote?

Flare

Blinking light Morse code

Gunshot code

Screaming yourself hoarse

Is there a place in the courtyard where the strike team can see the overwatch team? We might be able to leave a guy outside to send and receive light-transmitted morse code. That'd have less ambiguity than gunshot code, but leaves them more open to being attacked when they're caught off by themselves.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LatwPIAT posted:

I should think the point we march a bunch of tied-up PLAAN guys out and make them sit against a wall with one of two of our guys as guard serves as a pretty good signal that some of them surrendered. We've laid the plan under the assumption of no communication, so for the most part we can make do without it.

If you say so. But I'm not the guy going in the room to take their surrender. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We probably should have just shot them once we were all in position and were aiming. We need to get a little hand cart or something to move that M60 around on. Mission is going to be done by the time it is set up. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Taking shots at 0% chance to hit. I'm off to a rollicking good start. At least the techs surrendered.

[EDIT]
And yeah, seems like we picked basically the worst person possible to give the M60 to for this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm team leader and highest stat merc, why the gently caress am I point man? I ultimately don't care, as I basically signed up with the assumption we're all already dead (like Dwarf Fortress!), it just seems like a bad allocation of resources, much like the M60 assignment.

At least I went down like a boss, making the 1 (well 2) in 100 chance of not passing out from getting Ace Ventura'd and shooting a guy for 140,000 damage to the head. (?!)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to explain the stats behind the choice!

[EDIT] And for as awesome as that tech's luck was, my luck was even better. I love it when a plan comes together. :clint:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Phi230 posted:

Yeah. I winced when I saw the Tech roll that 7 and make hit, but whatever, death is entertaining.

But my eyes went wide and jaw dropped when you tanked that hit without passing out. I actually double checked the numbers and cheered when it turned out you got him in the forehead.

Oh, getting shot wasn't what bothered me. Like I said, I assumed we're all already dead. I just didn't understand why we'd put our statistical best out to eat salvos by kicking in doors. When you explained the math reason, it made perfect sense.

Am I going to be taking a bunch of stat loss when my wound heals? Or roll to lose a leg or something? And why did the shot to the head do 140,000 damage?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, I think situation permitting I'll just chill out back at base while I recover. No reason to push it with a bum leg.

Good to know I only overkilled him 200 times over. Just to be sure. :v:

Good job on the base assault everybody. We even got a sweet ride out of the deal!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Green Intern posted:

Grimace should spend his time off from the field reading up on tactics and leadership strategies.

I was elected to lead, not to read!

Seriously though, that's probably a good idea. Any kind of training I can do that won't aggravate the bum leg is a better use of the time than just getting drunk and firing rounds randomly into the desert outside base.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LatwPIAT posted:

Even with a -2 Action Count penalty from the wound, Grimace is still one of the more competent soldiers in the unit! :v:

Didn't I only have 3 to start with? How would I be effective with half of everybody else's actions?

I assume that -2 is just until the wound heals based on what Phi said and your spoiler tag'd info further up, I still heal fully with the advanced rules you mentioned?

Coffeehitler posted:

If you can't do both, what kind of leader are you? :colbert:

A leader who knows the value of not wasting ammo while we're stuck in the middle of nowhere. We can't even get consumer grade products! I had to siphon my booze out of the Hired Goons tanker when we were being flown in to their air base on the way here. That guy is going to be pissed when he finds out we raided his stash.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was going to make a joke about Grimace being used to waddling around, so I was looking to see if I could find where someone had photoshopped Grimace into being in military gear.

Instead, I found this which seems appropriate:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Look, if they wanted me to pass basic training the shouldn't have based us out of somewhere that had decent burgers and wings.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The kinetic energy of the round still has to go somewhere. Even if it doesn't penetrate, you're taking the equivalent of a sledgehammer blow to the chest.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

IMJack posted:

I ought to replace the skull with Grimace's face. Later.

Really, though, if the soldier wearing heavy rigid everything has to open doors for himself, you're doing it wrong. His job is to draw attention and fire, the rest of the team should be shooting anyone shooting him.

Oh god, is that a Skulldozer from Payday 2? :stonk: As long as they don't have explosives or poison crossbows we're fine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If he's crazy even by Florida standards, he'll do fine in a war zone.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Random thought: would a soldier dressed in drag confuse the enemy enough to get a reaction bonus?

Probably not in Asia.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do I get a leadership bonus based on how big a cigar I'm smoking or how fancy my hat is?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Popete posted:

I mean realistic options.

Spend less on candles.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You have my vote of confidence, Dr. McFish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wow, Grimace's leadership score is crap. Is there a more useful training I should undergo that won't risk my leg exploding while I do it?

• Locked thread