Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol the villains put a timer on the screen for this battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://my.mixtape.moe/mcytod.webm

don't gently caress with haruka!!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm glad that close is a student in this episode

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

this episode isn't fun anymore!!!!!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://my.mixtape.moe/uzymmf.webm

this ep fuckin RULES

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Does Creamy Mami hold up

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
What magical girl anime should I watch

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sad the Tokyo mew mew anime is actually really bad because I really liked it as a kid

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Parks and Recs.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zep pls

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Parks and Refs?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Garwh

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

you should try gen'ei wo kakeru taiyou

it's not the best but i thought it was nice

but also go princess precure is really good and has some spectacular big fights throughout the series so if you feel like mustering up the time to do 50 episodes i would also recommend that

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're looking for something short, Magica Madoka Puella Prinny is a revolutionary magical girl anime that completely deconstructed the genre. For one, it was only 3 episodes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurora posted:

you should try gen'ei wo kakeru taiyou

it's not the best but i thought it was nice

but also go princess precure is really good and has some spectacular big fights throughout the series so if you feel like mustering up the time to do 50 episodes i would also recommend that

Okay, but seeing as neither of these are streaming it might take me a little while to start but I will start one.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god zep

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Oh my god zep

That's a spoiler for the series.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mami is one letter removed from the word Kami, which means God.

The main character becomes a god or something, if I recall.

And that name was foreshadowing it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Obviously the answer is Twintail.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm a popular magical girl

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress is up with the braided girl's hair.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Taiyou Hinata using the Sun card seems a little too on the nose.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's braided

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hate-Senpai posted:

The classic hair t-pose

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Does Creamy Mami hold up

Having seen about 5 eps, it holds up in a way you'd probably like, ie it's a bit silly and 80s as gently caress.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hate-Senpai posted:

targeted self-defense weapons

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
How is blue reflection anyway? I was thinking about picking it up next payday.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Meh

all i've heard indicates that it's not terrible but not really worth $50

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Blue Reflection is very magical girl but won't satisfy someone looking for intense JRPG battles or dungeon crawling.

The story is pretty interesting. Hinako, the MC is dropped from acceptance into an elite high school program and was placed in normal classes after she was injured in an accident preventing her from performing ballet. After skipping school a while she accepts she's in normal classes and gains the power of a Reflector on her first day. The magical girl form takes away the pain in her leg and she's told by the two other Reflectors at her school that after defeating an ultra demon she'll get one wish. The rest of the story revolves around making friends and understanding their problems to power up for the final battle.

The game takes place at a school half the size of Yasogami High in Persona 4. A mission list is provided each chapter and certain ones will advance the story, others are optional. Interacting with the main characters at school will trigger events to improve relationships. Sometimes it's an event with a dialogue option, other times they go out to a random town location (just a still image with the 3D models on top so I doubt it's able to be explored.) It seems as long as the main mission is not reported, the story doesn't advance which allows for pretty much unlimited side events. The other NPCs don't seem to have their dialogue updated after 4 chapters.

Most battles occur in an unconscious world called The Common. This is accessed when a character's emotions go rampant, causing them to emit an aura and behave strangely. There's no experience or money gained from battle, but completing missions (such as defeating a number of monsters) gives skill points. In addition, they're collecting fragments of their friend's emotions and those can be assigned to skills for stat boosts or special effects. Since the girls go into The Common through characters having emotional breakdowns the dungeons all represent feelings like happiness, anger, sadness, fear, etc. They're reused Neptunia style so if you've seen one you've seen them all. It's not a multi-level affair, just an area to run around and battle or collect items.

The music is also great, as expected from a GUST game.

As an FYI they do have a couple sequences inside of showers and boob jiggle in case that bothers you. DLC costumes are just to change up the look of characters and don't do anything other than make interesting screenshots. They're overridden if there's a costume change for an event so they aren't going swimming in Final Fantasy XV crossover items or bathing in Rorona's costume from Atelier.

The purchase might be iffy at the full $60 price, but I got it for $42 from Green Man Gaming's preorders. There should be an inevitable $20-30 sell off from most stores after a while if you want to wait.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dehry posted:

Blue Reflection is very magical girl but won't satisfy someone looking for intense JRPG battles or dungeon crawling.

Does it basically work as a kind of budget, magical-girl-themed Persona 4 knockoff? People keep mentioning the social bits but I have no idea how big a percentage of the game they make up compared to the JRPG bits.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
im only a few hours into blue reflection but im digging it. the best part so far was hinako learning how to use a smart phone

the localization is very half assed though the dialogue is full of typos

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Buy the $8000 dollars of dlc so that Gust can keep the lights on.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Does it basically work as a kind of budget, magical-girl-themed Persona 4 knockoff? People keep mentioning the social bits but I have no idea how big a percentage of the game they make up compared to the JRPG bits.

Cutscene-story social bits are 60% of the game, 20% dungeoning/boss fights, 20% free time social-linking is my guess based off of 4 chapters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Allarion posted:

Cutscene-story social bits are 60% of the game, 20% dungeoning/boss fights, 20% free time social-linking is my guess based off of 4 chapters.

That seems alright. Guess I'll grab it when it goes cheap on Steam. Thanks!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
How well is the social stuff executed? That was the part that was interesting to me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The GIG posted:

How well is the social stuff executed? That was the part that was interesting to me.

You just take them out on dates, and occasionally get a social-link story event with choices. Maybe it'll expand more later, but there's no time-management to worry about as far as I can tell. I'm still near the beginning relatively, so I dunno how well the bonding stories turn out. It's basically a cycle of meet a new girl, take care of her issues, then bonding free time after with any of the girls you've befriended so far.

Also you have a tamagotchi on your smart phone, and you can set the overworld music to whatever you like, so I usually leave on one of the battle themes.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 28, 2017

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Allarion posted:

Much better than the poorly worded response I spent way too much time re-writing.

I just don't feel like comparing it to Persona would help. It sets up way more expectations than needed.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://i.gyazo.com/7c5f6541a1914d5f04f2ef5a5aa833b7.mp4

:cry:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i finished gopri

very good. i like

i'm glad that the villains didn't all die, because they were interesting characters

i'm glad that top idol and cool guy shut are both on this thank you card at the end

but now towa can't be with her friends, even though their hearts are connected :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Strange Quark posted:

Akazukin Cha Cha, Kamakaze Kaitou Jeanne, Shugo Chara, Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon. That should take you a good long while.