Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hellioning posted:

Manatsu also has good taste in marine life. Someone needs to tell her about hygiene though; at least three people have used that lipstick already.

It transformed into a magic weapon between each use though, that's probably gotta be pretty good for decontamination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It would seem the original Futari Wa is finally coming to Europe starting today:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/03/25/pretty-cure-anime-expands-to-europe-and-mena-regions-on-crunchyroll

Well that’s something at least, hopefully they’ll get around to making Healin Good and Tropical Rouge available over there eventually too.

It would also be nice if they put Max Heart and Maho Girls on Crunchyroll eventually too since French subs already exist over on ADN

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 25, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They also updated the quality of the video, audio, and subs for the American subs for Futari wa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

They also updated the quality of the video, audio, and subs for the American subs for Futari wa.

Good to hear, the previous ones they had looked like they were recorded off a VHS tape.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the jump in Video quality sure is something..

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Asuka is cool (like I said before, she’s basically Sailor Jupiter) and looks like she’ll be a good Red. Like Yuni she also seems to mainly be going along with all this for her own purposes.

We also meet the student council president Yuriko who seems like a decent character as well (though it seemed like there was some tension between her and Asuka for some reason).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 28, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stream died for me before henshin and missed the fight :(((((((

Also 100% sure Asuka and the Student Council Pres will be a couple

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Stream died for me before henshin and missed the fight :(((((((

Also 100% sure Asuka and the Student Council Pres will be a couple

Flamingo’s powers seem to revolve entirely around CQC (even her finisher just has her chuck an energy ball at the target). Feels like it’s been a while since we had a Cure like this.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's odd that they used a new villain for Minori's first episode, but not Asuka's. It probably doesn't mean anything but it'd be funny if the maid was the strongest of the generals.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I expected, Asuka is Sailor Jupiter as gently caress minus actually being a lightning Cure (she’s even introduced in more or less the same way Makoto was).

Also if by some slim chance Laura doesn’t wind up being the fifth Cure then the student council president Yuriko seems like a good candidate as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out. Asuka is awesome, though I wasn’t expecting her to be more of a lone wolf type given her official bio. As mentioned, the student council president Yuriko seems like a decent character as well (as well as a possible fifth Cure candidate in the very slim chance it’s not Laura).

I like that Asuka is the first one to call Laura out on her bullshit (and more than once at that) and her being an almost entirely physical fighter is a nice change of pace too (when was the last time we had a Cure like that anyway?)

It seems like Asuka and Yuriko have some history given their interaction in this episode.

I also noticed at the end Asuka mentioned that she’d start trying to believe in teammates “again” (I sense there’s a story here)

But yeah, I like pretty much every character so far. Hopefully Shrimp Maid will show up soon as well (it would also be nice if they gave us some further information on what the Witch’s deal is and why she’s collecting motivation power)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 28, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Guessing from the way she looked at the tennis court she was on the tennis team with Yuriko and stuff happened

Or they failed to save a school as school idols either or

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

(when was the last time we had a Cure like that anyway?)

Cure Yell did quite a lot of punching a couple of seasons back, to the point I saw a goofy bit of fanart showing her with brass knucks hidden in her pom-poms.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Guessing from the way she looked at the tennis court she was on the tennis team with Yuriko and stuff happened

Or they failed to save a school as school idols either or

As much as the latter would be intensely amusing, I point out that Cure Flamingo's attack is literally a tennis serve so in this particular iteration of reality I'm going to lean in on it having to do with tennis.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject I finally got around to watching Symphogear and it is indeed good. Out of curiosity, are the OVAs worth watching/important or can they be skipped if needed?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're all gag extras but they're fun ones.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

They're all gag extras but they're fun ones.

Good to know, thanks

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Off the subject I finally got around to watching Symphogear and it is indeed good. Out of curiosity, are the OVAs worth watching/important or can they be skipped if needed?

The OVA's are worth watching, they are not really important, and they can be skipped if needed.

Still, if you didn't watch them how would you be able to find out how well Tsubasa performs on a TV variety quiz show?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say the OVAs are necessary viewing not because they contain like, critical plot info exactly, but they're very funny and they smooth over a few of the plotholes in the main series, or show scenes that were clearly meant to be in the actual show but got cut for time. Nothing crucial to the plot mind but it adds to the story more than just gags would.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, all the OVAs have been subbed as well right?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Neat, all the OVAs have been subbed as well right?

Correct.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to Precure, I accept that I will never be as cool as this fictional middle school girl.

But seriously though, this may be the first time I ever had this strong a reaction to a Cure before she was even properly introduced. Hopefully Asuka get a decent amount of development as her debut gave us hints she’s got a bit of a story to tell regarding her past.

Granted, there are only four Cures (with a fifth confirmed as being on the way) but somehow HaCha still managed to struggle with that so you never know. So far the writing in Tropical Rouge has been pretty good though so hopefully that won’t be the case here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The company William Winckler Productions produced a pilot dub for Yes Precure 5 (under the title Pretty Cure 5) back in 2011.

While the pilot has never been (and likely never will be) commercially released, we do know the name changes used for the dub (and the voice cast) thanks to cast listings and Winckler himself always adding information about his dubs to IMDb.

Based on the cast listings and the IMDb information, here are the names that were used in the pilot (which, considering one of the names, was at the very least based on the first two episodes of the Japanese version):

Nozomi was Priscilla
Rin was Lynn
Urara was Erica
Komachi was Kimberly
Karen had the same name
Coco had the same name
Nuts had the same name (unless you spell his Japanese name Natts)
Girinma was Claws Mantis
Bunbee was Stinger Sam

The IMDb list also lists characters named 'Tiger' and 'Wilbert', but I have no idea who they’re supposed to be.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 30, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Stinger Sam is a great name.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Justin_Brett posted:

It really is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Indeed, I kind of wish the show had gotten picked up if only just for that

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

The company William Winckler Productions produced a pilot dub for Yes Precure 5 (under the title Pretty Cure 5) back in 2011.
~

That company did some dubs for other Toei properties, Minky Momo and FOTNS in particular, which came and went from Amazon a while back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

That company did some dubs for other Toei properties, Minky Momo and FOTNS in particular, which came and went from Amazon a while back.

Were the dubs any good?

As mentioned, apparently a pilot for the Yes 5 dub was actually made but has never been publicly released. Unrelated to that, Toei Europe also made an English trailer for Yes 5 a while back as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zp57fj_j-0g

They made one for Splash Star too (complete with some voice acting):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K_eAeiJBcSE

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it's a fair guess that the current antagonists in Tropical Rouge aren't the main villains, right? They just seem like a bunch of devoted servants trying to harvest energy for their mistress, who was likely incapacitated by some malevolent third party. They're a symptom, not a disease.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it's a fair guess that the current antagonists in Tropical Rouge aren't the main villains, right? They just seem like a bunch of devoted servants trying to harvest energy for their mistress, who was likely incapacitated by some malevolent third party. They're a symptom, not a disease.

Seahorse Butler seems the most motivated of the group so far (including the Witch herself) and appears to be the de facto leader giving orders to the others, maybe he’s the real villain here.

Otherwise, maybe they’ll add a Joker-esque villain later to make them seem like more of a threat

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Were the dubs any good?

I haven't seen them myself but they weren't the most well received dubs iirc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Seahorse Butler seems the most motivated of the group so far (including the Witch herself) and appears to be the de facto leader giving orders to the others, maybe he’s the real villain here.

He still seems tired and just the messenger. The Shrimp seems to be the most motivated one given she is the only one who does not have bags under her eyes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

He still seems tired and just the messenger. The Shrimp seems to be the most motivated one given she is the only one who does not have bags under her eyes.

True, like I said it’s possible it’ll be like the Bad End Kingdom in Smile and they’ll add a slightly more menacing villain to the mix later on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, we finally got the Shrimp’s name:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1377242056750366723

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Like something out of a metal gear.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Were the dubs any good?

As mentioned, apparently a pilot for the Yes 5 dub was actually made but has never been publicly released. Unrelated to that, Toei Europe also made an English trailer for Yes 5 a while back as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zp57fj_j-0g

They made one for Splash Star too (complete with some voice acting):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K_eAeiJBcSE

Those seem to be trade show previews made to help sell the show to potential licensors

I think I remember reading that Yes had a serious push in trying to get picked up, including the fact the city was designed to look like a typical old New York or European city than other Precure series

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some new Tropical Rouge titles are out, it appears the seal fairy Kururun will finally show up in episode 7.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I can't say I was missing him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I can't say I was missing him.

Her, but yeah same. I’m kind of curious what her role will be seeing as most of the usual fairy duties in the series are already being performed by Laura at the moment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume that her main purpose will be serving as another character from the Mermaid Kingdom to bounce off Laura - and given what an absolute gremlin Laura is, that should be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume that her main purpose will be serving as another character from the Mermaid Kingdom to bounce off Laura - and given what an absolute gremlin Laura is, that should be a lot of fun.

Makes sense, and in the likely event that Laura eventually becomes the fifth Cure (the new Cure’s name is the same as her last name like was the case with Ruru and she also has the same heart shaped pupils as the other four girls) maybe Kururun will be involved in her transformation somehow (like powering up the Mermaid Pot since there are only four Tropical Pacts).