Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, but I decided to check out Madoka on a whim. This show is batshit insane and I kind of love it (imagine Precure only almost none of the girls are on the same side and the fairy companion is an evil bastard). I'm sure this was completely intentional but I like the contrast between the opening and ending as well, the former is kind of upbeat and attempts to trick the viewer into thinking they're in for another bog-standard magical girl series while the ending is super dark and gloomy.

It's also one of the most Shounen-esque magical girl shows I've seen since the original Pretty Cure (in that despite the cast being mostly female, there's not much overtly girly about it).

That's because madokas targeted demographic is like 16 to 20 something males

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cephas posted:

If memory serves, for the broadcast run they didn't play the ending theme until the twist at the end of episode 3, like a "gotcha! you suckers are in for a bad time" reveal

the DVD/BD version should be playing Mata Ashita as the ED for eps 1/2, so the twist should still be there

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That's because madokas targeted demographic is like 16 to 20 something males

That's kind of what I figured, even by Japanese censorship standards it's too dark to really be considered a kids show in my opinion (then again, Kamen Rider Faiz exists and if I remember right Madoka was done by the same writer).

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

madoka is targetted at me, a lesbian

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think madoka is trying to trick you into anything just because of the way it paces its tone

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i don't think madoka is trying to trick you into anything just because of the way it paces its tone

Trick might be the wrong word but you can't deny that the opening theme seems to be advertising a very different show than what we actually get (also the fact that the title character doesn't actually transform until almost the very end of the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 12, 2018

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there's nothing girly about this show at all because it has blood and it's gritty and serious

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Madoka Magica is a narrative

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
There's a lot of kids shows with darker content. I watched Digimon Tamers as a smol. Whew. And Madoka's writer Urobuchi (he did Gaim, btw) has some pretty inspired plot points via Kamen Rider Ryuki, a kids show where basically everyone dies at some point.

Larryb posted:

Trick might be the wrong word but you can't deny that the opening seems to be advertising a very different show than what we actually get (also the fact that the title character doesn't actually transform until almost the very end of the series).

Depends on your preconceptions, perhaps. Do you mean the opening theme, Connect? Because I think there's a lot of emotional weight to the opening that reflects the burdens Madoka faces through its mood and visuals, and once you're into episode 10 you might notice that the lyrics can be read from the perspective of the show's deuteragonist.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Madoka stuff seems like a twist at first but when I rewatched it a few years back the first 2 episodes really foreshadow everything which is why it works and it isn't shocking like most post Madoka adult magical girl shows.

Also made me appreciate Shinbo's first magical TV series more too when I rewatched it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Aurora posted:

there's nothing girly about this show at all because it has blood and it's gritty and serious

I can't become a magical girl for cake!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Urobochi didn’t do Ryuki, he did Gaim.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
That'd be why I said as much.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sorry, misunderstood what you said.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just to confirm something, I know the third one is a sequel of sorts but is there anything new in the first two Madoka movies or are they just slightly condensed versions of the first and last halves of the series?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Just to confirm something, I know the third one is a sequel of sorts but is there anything new in the first two Madoka movies or are they just slightly condensed versions of the first and last halves of the series?

There's a lot of animation differences and I feel like the movie format changes the pacing for the better, but as far as things important for the third movie no not really.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
There are some new scenes, mostly in the second movie, and lots of dialogue is retaken for different wording or emotional punch (can you imagine Homura's delivery during emotional scenes being even Better? because it is). The OST is moved around heavily so song placement is totally different. The first movie loses a lot of content that can be seen as extraneous.

Everyone gets new transformations, Charlotte gets her own cool song that plays into movie three, and the the new opening Luminous has lots of imagery that is pertinent to the sequel. (っ´ω`(´ω`c)ルミナス

Since you just watched the TV series it might not interest you, but the movies definitely offer a new experience if you ever feel like rewatching the series later.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
If you just watched the show you can definitely jump straight into the 3rd movie, which is girly and gay as heck (and imo is the apex of Madoka)

I don't think madoka is especially dark for a shoujo anime. If you compare it to Utena or even something older like Rose of Versailles, there are shoujo anime that are thematically pretty dark and heavy. Madoka definitely has some of Urobochi's guns & suicide brand of edginess for sure though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cephas posted:

If you just watched the show you can definitely jump straight into the 3rd movie, which is girly and gay as heck (and imo is the apex of Madoka)

Oh I don't mind the girly stuff (I'm a big fan of Sailor Moon and Precure after all), it's just that Madoka seems a bit darker in tone than most of the other stuff I've seen (hell, the final portion of it is downright bleak). I was just curious if it was worth watching the first two movies if you've already seen the series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I decided to go ahead and watch them anyway, I will admit that the new opening theme is much more appropriate for the series (though thinking about it more I agree that the one from the TV version does still work if you think of it from Homura's perspective) and the pacing is much tighter (the first half of the series also has a vastly different feel if you go into it with full context).

In fact, if anyone somehow hasn't seen the series already I would actually recommend just watching the movies in place of the TV show (though both are good to be fair). There's even a bit of extra context provided for certain characters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 12, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Madoka is still nowhere near as blood thirsty as the end of the first season of Sailor Moon which got Toei yelled at

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Madoka is still nowhere near as blood thirsty as the end of the first season of Sailor Moon which got Toei yelled at

Ah yes, the season where almost every character is brutally murdered just before the finale (it all gets undone of course but still), how could I forget. Still not entirely sure how the hell they were able to get away with that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Ah yes, the season where almost every character is brutally murdered just before the finale (it all gets undone of course but still), how could I forget. Still not entirely sure how the hell they were able to get away with that.

They didn't much like they didn't get away with Cure Black vs Cure White. Toei got flooded with complaints and the next seasons got toned down

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They didn't much like they didn't get away with Cure Black vs Cure White. Toei got flooded with complaints and the next seasons got toned down

I'm not too far into them but I'm assuming that particular part doesn't happen in the other versions then (manga, live action series, Crystal)?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Cephas posted:

I don't think madoka is especially dark for a shoujo anime. If you compare it to Utena or even something older like Rose of Versailles, there are shoujo anime that are thematically pretty dark and heavy. Madoka definitely has some of Urobochi's guns & suicide brand of edginess for sure though.
Some of it is framing. I'd say Utena deals with far heavier and more serious struggles to most viewers - in the realm of relationships, sex and sexuality - than anything in Madoka. But Utena is also not very interested in presenting these things or the show overall as scary, dark, depressing, etc. Utena also intersperses comedic or lighter moments in between for most of the show. I think Utena tells a more interesting story, and it's mostly a more mature work in all meanings of the word. But it didn't even try to be dark in the way Madoka is for that stretch of episodes. A full 8-episode stretch in a 12-episode show is basically just things getting worse repeatedly with little to no levity and very deliberate framing/direction to make it as grim as possible.

That said, I feel like the main thing people should take from the whole thing is the simple fact that shows like Sailor Moon and Utena are just really old now, and were when Madoka first aired too. It's not very surprising people more people talk about and attribute certain qualities to new shows rather than old ones! A lot of people who raved about Madoka may know about those series in vague ways, but weren't even born when Takeuchi started publishing Sailor Moon or Ikuhara was directing its adaption. These were works for different generations and history is full of works getting popular by ripping off or homaging the content or themes or feel of something made for their parents. I got into anime/manga in the early 2000s when I was a teenager and I know I basically refused to read/watch a lot of early 90s series for ages because it was 'ugly' and 90s designs and art-styles are still generally not my thing these days.

What I'm saying is we're all old fucks yelling at clouds in here even when we're right.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Insurrectionist posted:

What I'm saying is we're all old fucks yelling at clouds in here even when we're right.

Those clouds need a good yellin' at.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Also while you're fresh off Madoka, please enjoy the Maria+Holic ending theme (Shaft circa 2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRo1uK2NILo

As well as this nice side character from My Hero Academia, aka the Witch Formerly Known as Elsa Maria

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
And if you want something like Madoka at all, watch Yuki Yuna, because I want more people to discuss that with damnit

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexanth posted:

And if you want something like Madoka at all, watch Yuki Yuna, because I want more people to discuss that with damnit

Agreed

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Problem is Yuki Yuna season 2 goes way down the Nationalism hole and borders into the suffering for suffering most late night Madoka clones go into.

I really did not like season 2 at all

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 13, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hugtto might be one of the best anime i've ever watched

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Problem is Yuki Yuna season 2 goes way down the Nationalism hole and borders into the suffering for suffering most late night Madoka clones go into.

I really did not like season 2 at all

sounds like a shame but i probably partially expected that and is part of why i was kind of hyped for s2 and then just didnt watch it

is there any cute heartwarming episode to watch like the episode where they teach karin what friends and birthdays are, surely there had to be some healing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The first few 3 episodes of season 2 is the Washio Sumi episodes that aired in theaters and have some comedy before we get to suffering. Some of it's Nationalism though

When we get to the new Yuki Yuna stuff we have some comedy and healing and OMG Nationalism before we get to suffering.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
oh yeah, for the record I watched Washio Sumi and mostly enjoyed kagawa life and "internet tabs: how to make friends, how to be sociable, history of the japanese empire" and Gin is a hero. the visceral brutality was thematically strong but maybe too effective in that I might not want to see the yuyuyus suffer more.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The first few 3 episodes of season 2 is the Washio Sumi episodes that aired in theaters and have some comedy before we get to suffering. Some of it's Nationalism though

When we get to the new Yuki Yuna stuff we have some comedy and healing and OMG Nationalism before we get to suffering.

But then the suffering leads to the ultimate best moment in the series where the Hero Club does what it does best and it's all worth it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dexanth posted:

But then the suffering leads to the ultimate best moment in the series where the Hero Club does what it does best and it's all worth it

I didn't think the build up and suffering was worth it to me. I was hoping the show would go in a new direction and not rehashing stuff from the first season.

Plus the whole sacrifice bit just didn't sit with me well too

kyubeybryant
Jan 4, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Thought George was gonna be Precure Kotomine Kirei but instead he's Precure Lelouch from Code Geass!

Also the Hana flashback in the episode is super heavy once you realize the class she was in bullied her hard cause she stood up to someone getting picked on and we don't see a happy ending to it except her mother comforting her. It's probably the darkest thing in the season just for what's so unspoken about it and fitting for a show that wants to at times challenge social structures

Also Rest in Peace Daigan, best general got jobbed

really puts the first episode in a different context

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, I just watched the Madoka Rebellion movie. Not entirely sure how I feel about them doing a complete 180 on Homura's character at the end (though I suppose her obsession with keeping Madoka safe was the basis of her entire character arc) but I guess in some sense it was about as happy an ending as you can get for this series as she basically ended the entire war (I think, it's not clear at the end whether the girls still have their powers and Homura does say something about Wraiths still being around) and restored everyone to normal in one fell swoop. It does sort of leave the door open for a sequel though should they ever decide to revisit this series one day.

Also, not sure if I imagined this or not but I seem to remember seeing an AMV a while back containing a scene of one of the girls fighting what looked like a giant Kyubei but don't remember actually seeing any such scene in the series itself. Am I thinking of a different anime or something?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 13, 2018

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I didn't think the build up and suffering was worth it to me. I was hoping the show would go in a new direction and not rehashing stuff from the first season.

Plus the whole sacrifice bit just didn't sit with me well too

The sacrifice thing was silly but I think it sort of fit the 2nd rising arc, of like...the first season is sort of them accepting that some things might be necessary, and the second is them deciding to break the rules in the best way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My big issue with Yu3's 2nd season is it tossed a lot of worldbuilding that was done after the 1st season into the garbage.